The Guardian - Manchester United to sack Erik ten Hag after the FA Cup Final

Status
Not open for further replies.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Could have done this months ago if they wanted to do it. Whats the bloody point of leaking this a day before cup final? Some things never change at United. Incompetent administration is still alive and well at United

bstb3

Could have done this months ago if they wanted to do it. Whats the bloody point of leaking this a day before cup final? Some things never change at United. Incompetent administration is still alive and well at United
Depends where the information came from, who leaked it or if it isn't all just guesswork backed up by the club not commenting.

wormdoktor

Was just thinking this to myself this morning, would I be surprised if this news came out today? No i wouldn't, and I'm not. But it's not a good sign that there are still elements leaking internal news to the press - it's unprofessional and hints of internal strife. Stamping this out has to be a priority for the regime.

Nickosaur

It's weird, I feel a bit gutted for him and part of me wants to see how he'd do with a proper structure (and better luck with injuries).

But on the other hand, I think a lot of opposition fans were probably hoping United would stick with him, which probably says it all.

Let's see. Feeling pretty apathetic about decisions such as these at this point in time.

mu4c_20le

Jan Age seems to think the decision was made after 0-4 palace.

wormdoktor

Not really because "United declined to comment"

If this wasnt true, why wouldnt they say so?

And even if it has zero basis in reality, it's still disrupting us hours before a cup final. Which is why Erik had to go weeks or months ago. It was obvious this would happen.
Exactly, and this is not the Mail or the Sun, this is the Guardian, who would not publish a headline like this without significant evidence.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I was not pro INEOS. I was pro Qatar. So there's no bias around me. However what makes you think that INEOS leaked it? They had zero to gain out of it. The only people I can think that benefit out of this leak is ETH and his dodgy agency. I mean if tomorrow United lost 6-0 then no one would blame the manager because they would say that he was distracted

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.

The Bloody-Nine

How do you know the club leaked it? WHY would the club leak it now? It makes zero sense.

YSB99

Supports
Machester United FC
So it looks like it will be either McKenna, Tuchel, Poch or Thomas Frank.

All a big step down IMO but I will be here for the next sacking in a year or two :lol:
On what planet is Tuchel a step down from Ten Hag

Ten Hags only notable achievement is getting to a CL semi,

Tuchels won it, was a runner up, missed out on another final last week by a hair, and has been unlucky in a few 1/4s and 16s like against us with PSG and Madrid with Chelsea,

Complete delusion

acnumber9

Do people really believe the players will only be finding out about this because a journalist has released the story? If the journalist knows you can bet the players already knew. In which case the leak to press changes nothing. All it does is confirm to fans what people have surely known for a long time.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Doesn't matter whether it's a brief or a leak and where it comes from. He's going to get sacked and this is ruining the build up to a cup final. It should never have happened.

Either sack him when the decision is made (probably months ago) or announce he'll leave in the summer like Bayern did with Tuchel.

Woodward looked like an idiot when he did it to LVG and now Ineos will look just as stupid.
I don't think its ruined the build up given that its unconfirmed and is only suggesting something most thought would happen anyway.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
I'd rather take a complete blind gamble on McKenna than getting in one of the names we've been linked to that have proven themselves to be average.

It's very strange there are people talking fondly about his time with us as though it's a massive point in his favour, though. We were shit then as well, and he was at least partly responsible.
Fair enough, but I think getting someone like Poch, who could conceivably have the respect of the players, get us playing a decent brand of football, and have us fairly competitive would be better. Then we can leapfrog from there. I'd only be on board with Mckenna if we were stripping the squad this summer.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
To be fair we talk about competence, any competent club would’ve sacked him after that absolutely diabolical CL campaign. Still not over it.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Predictable that the "I'll support whatever decision INEOS make" crowd did not, in fact, support their decision when it turned out they're sacking ETH

Malone_Post

No matter how much things change, they still stay the same with United. We’ve gone full circle & we’re back to 2016 again.

Classless way to treat a manager, just as it was with LVG. Confidence in INEOS has just dropped considerably.

Man-United

I hope our next manager is someone the posters on redcafe do not want. We wanted LvG, Jose, Ralf and ten Hag.

acnumber9

mu4c_20le

How do you know the club leaked it? WHY would the club leak it now? It makes zero sense.
People seem to think every single leak is intentional, and someone maliciously feeding info the journalists. We had a poster here who claimed months ago that his family knows a friend who works in the legal dept for Ineos, and basically suggested ten hag was toast. If any half credible journalist got in touch with him, this 'leak' couldve come out months ago. But it probably wouldn't make the same impact as it would now.

Steve Bruce

First sign of trouble? We haven't played well for over 12 months.
1 bad season he's had. He overachieved with the team he had last season, this season he hasn't had the performances or results we expected. However he could end up with the FA cup and winning a trophy both seasons he's been at United.

For me sacking him now is premature. If by Christmas we see ourselves well off the pace again, then fair enough, but 1 bad season to me is far too soon to sack someone especially considering where United where when ETH took over. Which was our worst points total ever in premier league history and no trophies for 6 years. He could deliver us 2 in 2 years.

Chairman Steve

Based on the fact this was reported by a Chelsea source, I also get the feeling this was released as a feck you from the Chelsea hierarchy because we signed up a manager they were in for. It didn’t come from a Manchester based source like in the past.

wormdoktor

Also is anyone in the least bit surprised it's Jamie Jackson desperately being the first to be definitive about it on the eve of the final.

Like I said, biggest ABU journalist of the lot. Nasty little shit
Jamie Jackson is pro United is he not? Also the story was by Jacob Steinberg.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Fair enough, but I think getting someone like Poch, who could conceivably have the respect of the players, get us playing a decent brand of football, and have us fairly competitive would be better. Then we can leapfrog from there. I'd only be on board with Mckenna if we were stripping the squad this summer.
I would be OK with Poch, if it is McKenna then agree the squad needs a clearout and a ruthless one. Think both of these can deal with coaching younger players. Poch has the stature to deal with big name players, but McKenna needs a squad who will not constantly try to undermine him either on the field or through their representatives.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
If you enjoyed that one, lads, here are some more Transfersradar exclusives for you:

You wouldn't believe this shit if it was some random caf poster saying the same thing. Why is it automatically true if it's some random on twitter instead?
Fair. I didn’t take note of the source

moodyred

Exactly, and this is not the Mail or the Sun, this is the Guardian, who would not publish a headline like this without significant evidence.
Evidence from Manchester City trying to derail us from our preparations for FA Cup. I deserve the right to speculate just like the Guardian

stevoc

It's the fact we didn't pull the trigger earlier which is baffling, not that we have now. I doubt it is the club who have put this out there, it will be an over enthusiastic journalist, who might end up a banned from OT journalist.
He should have gone at Christmas but the takeover process and an Interim CEO left eveything in limbo. BY the time Ineos and Jim took over I suppose they didn't want their first move to be sacking the manager especially when even back in February we could have still made a push for 4th if Erik had got his head out of his arse and dropped the Chaos ball.

macheda14

The journo is a known Chelsea journo. He has obviously heard it from people closer to their camp. We’ve been approaching many of the same managers as them so it’s likely managers or their agents said to Chelsea ‘better act fast United are about to sack Ten Hag’.

Incredibly unlikely that INEOS who haven’t leaked anything until now would do this the day before a cup final.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I actually think the players application and effort has been largely good. We've been hampered with injuries, bizarre tactical set ups, inconsistent youths and players who clearly aren't capable of taking a step up.
I just don't see it as a case of the players 'throwing the manager under the bus'.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Good decision.

I rated the work he did in year 1 in terms of making difficult decisions and turning aorund from Ole’s last season. But eventually, the possession based coaching that I expected based on his Ajax days never came and with his desire to make the best of what we had, signing the wrong players for big money and complete lack of improvement of the collective in his second year, there’s simply not way to continue with him.

I think we’re so far apart and the options are just weak, so I feel giving McKenna a go with a long term vision might just be the best way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.