The Guardian - Manchester United to sack Erik ten Hag after the FA Cup Final

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Not to me. I assume ETH will have been told a couple of days ago and will have had some time to prepare mentally. He's getting the FA Cup finale as a send off while LVG got booted without knowing it the day before winning the cup.
Didn’t know this. Yeah you’re right

Telsim

Absolutely disgraceful to have this leaked before the final after holding it off for months. Shambles from this club, but on par for the course.

AndySmith1990

It’s shocking that there isn’t a consensus amongst the majority of our supporters that this was a classless leak to have before a cup final, but there are sadly those lowlife supporters that exist in our fanbase.
Why are you so quick to assume it's anyone at the club leaking it to journalists? The fact is you have no idea who is responsible, yet you call others lowlives for refusing to jump the gun and making baseless accusations

bstb3

Random twitter account: It was the Glazers!

Redcafe posters: "100% sport control :lol:", "That's disturbing"
Yeah it's nuts what people will accept if it backs up some preconceived view.

Simple truth is very few people know what is happening/ has happened and it's certainly not some random posting on X. People need to get a bit of a grip and wait to see what happens. It's so easy for people to get hooked by trolls and grifters these days.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
I'm very disappointed this one didn't work out. Really thought he had it in him, especially after last season. But his transfers have been disastrous and our football even worse, it just had to happen, a shame it's before the fecking final.

Moriarty

I don’t think anyone can make a decision like this without consulting all major shareholders. It would be weird if they weren’t spoken to
It would, but if the Glazers have ceded control of sporting matters, I would have thought it was INEOS's decision to make.

jamesjimmybyrondean

I’m guessing it’s either Sancho or Chelsea that leaked it. Sancho for obvious reasons or Chelsea to disrupt us from taking their EL spot. The journalist is also closer to Chelsea

Chairman Steve

I can’t say that I’m surprised. It’s a shame that we’ve notably declined from last year. Post League Cup win I gave him the benefit of the doubt for the hectic schedule.

But that opening game against Wolves this season pretty much set the tone for the season. It was a really concerning performance and I don’t think anybody could have expected it to have not changed after that, especially after he changed things after that Brentford game and was rightfully applauded for it.

But for whatever reason he hasn’t changed it this season. He’s largely stuck to it apart from the odd game or two where we funnily enough looked somewhat better.

stevoc

If it is McKenna he might just thrive under a regime where he says what he needs and they give him the best options out there. Use the scouting network properly and support the manager properly, not just chuck money at it and hope it works.
Might well do a long term project makes more sense with a much younger manager. But even with Ten Hag if there had been progress this season even in terms of performances and playstyle if not results. The the club might have been more patient and given him another year. But you can't have the season we've just had and expect to keep your job, you just can't there was zero progress this season. We've actually regressed from when he took over and are worse now.

Atheist

I’d have some sympathy for Ten Hag if he was a bit more humble around the failures this season but he’s been stubborn and arrogant.

izec

Party time, praise the fecking lord, what a beautiful day it will be.

Up there with Moyes as the worst manager post Fergie

tomaldinho1

He's well connected at Chelsea. They probably caught wind due to talks with McKenna and put it out there with him. Sour grapes maybe?
This scenario doesn't make sense though because the only reason someone at Chelsea would know this and choose to leak it to (ignoring he's not even tier 1 for chelsea), is if McKenna has rejected them for us? If so his article would be an actual scoop on announcing McKenna to United not some vague article rehashing the manager shortlists we've been seeing all week with the added headline.

Pughnichi

Got a feeling it’s true and they’ll go with McKenna

poch and tuchel both want control of transfers. McKenna can be given the tools and just left to coach.

all 3 would be an upgrade

AndySmith1990

So it looks like it will be either McKenna, Tuchel, Poch or Thomas Frank.

All a big step down IMO but I will be here for the next sacking in a year or two :lol:
Only a WUM could form the opinion that those four are a big step down from Ten Hag

TsuWave

So it looks like it will be either McKenna, Tuchel, Poch or Thomas Frank.

All a big step down IMO but I will be here for the next sacking in a year or two :lol:
Still can't believe Ten Hag's stock is this high because of a single a CL semi-final run (that he ended up being knocked out from by Spurs). Crazy

stevoc

This is one my major concerns going forward.. Theyve got away with it for so long. Its no coincidence this happened to so many managers now. Theres something not right within that squad, I dont if its attitude, some are bad influences on others, cliques etc.. I dont know, but its got to change. Im sure this new regime will identify the problems in the squad and remove it asap.

Alot of them deserved to go before the manager. And yet here we are where they are prob going to get a clean slate again that they dont deserve. I think thats what annoys me the most.

Player power might have been the wrong term to use. but theyve dodged a bullet again.
Who's they?

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
We are a fecking shit show of a club though. It's the right decision to move him on but why is all this coming out before the cup final?

Smores

It's probably a better situation for him. If we win he goes out on a high, if we get smashed they'll be no uproar as he's already sacked anyway.

He gets to say goodbye and the fans within reason will tolerate it and wish him well.

Glorio

Press doing everything they can to derail every tiny chance we have to win this :nono:

CallyRed

Watch him start Casemiro at CB, Onana upfront and Tom Huddlestone in midfield now.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Might well do a long term project makes more sense with a much younger manager. But even with Ten Hag if there had been progress this season even in terms of performances and playstyle if not results. The the club might have been more patient and given him another year. But you can't have the season we've just had and expect to keep your job, you just can't there was zero progress this season. We've actually regressed from when he took over and are worse now.
It's the fact we didn't pull the trigger earlier which is baffling, not that we have now. I doubt it is the club who have put this out there, it will be an over enthusiastic journalist, who might end up a banned from OT journalist.

PoTMS

Absolutely the correct decision but which fecking idiot decided it's a good idea to leak it the day before the biggest game of the season? We should've done it either a long time ago or after the final. This club is toxic as feck.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Definitely forced our hand for McKenna, pretty obvious it will be him as well. Hope we give McKenna time, it's a big step and we can't panic over bad runs through him the first few years.
Why would we? We'll hound him out if he starts failing too.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
It’s crazy what a shitshow we are. The day before the cup final this is getting out.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
The day before a final. Someone at the Guardian is either guessing or if someone from the club told them, they should lose their job.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
This is even more pathetic if it's for Mckenna, someone who was part of a failure of a coaching staff for many years.
I'd rather take a complete blind gamble on McKenna than getting in one of the names we've been linked to that have proven themselves to be average.

It's very strange there are people talking fondly about his time with us as though it's a massive point in his favour, though. We were shit then as well, and he was at least partly responsible.

SirMattlives

Ah, remember the days of ETH's appointment and the giddy promises made by many here that a couple of dodgy seasons would be fine as he implemented changes to make us a 'modern' team. Heaven help the new coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.