The Guardian - Manchester United to sack Erik ten Hag after the FA Cup Final

Status
Not open for further replies.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
No doubt, but I want to know which ones 'have got away with it for so long and did something to so many managers now'.
It's daft really only Luke Shaw was here when LVG came in and lad has spent most of his time injured but plays when fit, so he doesn't have an axe to grind.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Terrible to expose him like that on the eve of the cup final, really shitty by whoever leaked it and by the journo too.

That being said, I think the club could still have taken control of the narrative by insisting nothing had been decided yet, buying them at least 24 hours of more class.

If, and this seems super unlikely, the Glazers are being made to bear the brunt (@golden_blunder ) that is quite misguided because no one wants to think they have any say in anything any longer and will just vent their anger at INEOS.

That all being said, likely the right decision, obviously pending on who the appoint.

Parma Dewol

Just when you think our beloved club couldn't become any more unlikeable, they find a way.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Ah, remember the days of ETH's appointment and the giddy promises made by many here that a couple of dodgy seasons would be fine as he implemented changes to make us a 'modern' team. Heaven help the new coach.
What changes did he make to make us a 'modern' team? That's the problem right there.

ETH has literally done the exact opposite of what almost all top teams do these days. He's reduced how much possession and control we have in games, he's got us playing less compactly and relying more on individual quality. Basically the only thing he's done that is remotely 'modern' is buying a ball-playing keeper and having Dalot invert. Arguably Martinez as well, but for the good (ability on the ball) comes the bad (size and lack of speed and athleticism) which puts a question mark over how suitable he is anyway.

Having a bad season while building towards something good is one thing. Having a bad season while being fixated on a system that has obvious fundamental issues is a completely different thing.

MoskvaRed

Not exactly a shock. The idea that a new “ownership” would keep with an underperforming incumbent was always highly unlikely.

As for Erik,, his spell has been the saddest of the 5 post-Fergie managers. It’s the hope that kills you but since March 23 it’s been worrying followed by shambolic. There have been a lot of mitigating circumstances but not enough to exculpate this Rishi Sunak election launch of a season.

bstb3

Has anyone stopped to consider we haven't just gone all Coleen Rooney and busted the leak? ETH is staying, but only one person was told he was fired. Someone just got Rebekah'd.

Don't believe anything until it's official. :cool:

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Terrible to expose him like that on the eve of the cup final, really shitty by whoever leaked it and by the journo too.

That being said, I think the club could still have taken control of the narrative by insisting nothing had been decided yet, buying them at least 24 hours of more class.

If, and this seems super unlikely, the Glazers are being made to bear the brunt (@golden_blunder ) that is quite misguided because no one wants to think they have any say in anything any longer and will just vent their anger at INEOS.

That all being said, likely the right decision, obviously pending on who the appoint.
Think Glazer still have some say, but to have some say the proposal would have to put to them anyway.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
The football was largely shit, the transfers; atrocious but we somehow bumblefecked our way to 3 cup finals in a year or so, winning one, losing one and TBD tomorrow.

Seems a decent guy and I appreciated his no nonsense handling of cnuts like Sancho and Ronaldo (he's not a legend, he's a cnut) and stopping the trophy drought but the football is just too suicidal to continue.

Doing this on the eve of the cup final is extra cnutish though.

All the best, Ten Hag.

Bollywood Hogan

The text Guardian article gives no serious indication of a typical leak. Read it closely: the article could've been written in the same way by anyone here with some sense as there's obviously a good chance it'll turn out correct. Same article could appear in the tabloids abd no one would take it too seriously. Yes, it might have been someone gone rogue (if not a Guardian journalist just making an educated guess) but as a planned leak, I would be doubtful. Why would anyone high up think leaking it just before a final was a good idea? If they wanted to send a message to McKenna, then back channels are fine.

r0663664

Worships Man City
Sacking is the obvious decision, I am surprised that they stick with him that long. We could finish 4-5th easily with a new manager but Ineos wanted to take their time. I sincerely hope Pochettino is hired, I think he will do very well at United.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
The football was largely shit, the transfers; atrocious but we somehow bumblefecked our way to 3 cup finals in a year or so, winning one, losing one and TBD tomorrow.

Seems a decent guy and I appreciated his no nonsense handling of cnuts like Sancho and Ronaldo (he's not a legend, he's a cnut) and stopping the trophy drought but the football is just too suicidal to continue.

Doing this on the eve of the cup final is extra cnutish though.

All the best, Ten Hag.
Sums my thoughts up too. Good post.

DON’T PANIC ™

I agree, as much as I am happy to see the back of ETH, any sacking or decision to sack should have been watertight until after the Cup Final. I'd hoped that all the poorly managed media stuff was a thing of the past with Ineos at the helm but it appears not.

DavelinaJolie

Quite why this is out there now I have no idea. It's been coming, I was fairly certain at this point it was going to happen after the final, so not surprised.

I'm disappointed in how it turned out though, really wanted it to work with him and thought he could turn it round earlier in the season, but things just got worse.

The Bloody-Nine

I agree, as much as I am happy to see the back of ETH, any sacking or decision to sack should have been watertight until after the Cup Final. I'd hoped that all the poorly managed media stuff was a thing of the past with Ineos at the helm but it appears not.
You can't stop a dickhead journalist writing a story.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Pathetic from our club, and pathetic from SJR/Ineos. Showing he's got as little class as the previous regime.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
1 bad season he's had. He overachieved with the team he had last season, this season he hasn't had the performances or results we expected. However he could end up with the FA cup and winning a trophy both seasons he's been at United.

For me sacking him now is premature. If by Christmas we see ourselves well off the pace again, then fair enough, but 1 bad season to me is far too soon to sack someone especially considering where United where when ETH took over. Which was our worst points total ever in premier league history and no trophies for 6 years. He could deliver us 2 in 2 years.
We've had about 3 decent months of football in two years. I'd argue that the FA Cup and League Cup finals are more to do with us fielding strong sides while everyone else rotated.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Never in doubt.

Disaster of a manager, the team is in no better shape than it was when he joined, and that is after spending 400m and having a free ticket in Mainoo and Garnacho coming through.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Awful timing on the eve of the cup final, but Ineos should have anticipated the leaks could happen. This is why I said after the Coventry game that we need to sack Ten Hag immediately and hire an interim manager for a few weeks just to avoid this shitshow in the build up to the cup final. It's going to be such a weird atmosphere at Wembley tomorrow.

Dazzmondo

I’m guessing it’s either Sancho or Chelsea that leaked it. Sancho for obvious reasons or Chelsea to disrupt us from taking their EL spot. The journalist is also closer to Chelsea
Didn't know that reporter before, but looking at what he's written before, he's clearly got his main sources with Chelsea, so almost certainly coming from Chelsea

Bowlcut11

I'm not sure why all the potshots at the club in here.

Seems to me Steinberg, who is a Chelsea journo and is close to Poch, is likely being fed the info by Poch (who likely has been sounded out by United) and doesn't care to keep it under his hat like united journos have done. Probably they want to keep access to the club and not sour relations.

If we weren't speaking to available managers we would all be furious if we sacked ETH on Sunday/Monday and were already behind in the race for those managers.

It sucks for ETH and I feel bad for him that it has leaked but there's enough reasons to beat the club with and I don't think this is necessarily one of them

Also I'm aware this does sound a bit tinfoil hat but seems the likeliest scenario - to me anyway

The Bloody-Nine

I'm not sure why all the potshots at the club in here.

Seems to me Steinberg, who is a Chelsea journo and is close to Poch, is likely being fed the info by Poch (who likely has been sounded out by United) and doesn't care to keep it under his hat like united journos have done. Probably they want to keep access to the club and not sour relations.

If we weren't speaking to available managers we would all be furious if we sacked ETH on Sunday/Monday and were already behind in the race for those managers.

It sucks for ETH and I feel bad for him that it has leaked but there's enough reasons to beat the club with and I don't think this is necessarily one of them

Also I'm aware this does sound a bit tinfoil hat but seems the likeliest scenario - to me anyway
This is dangerously close to applying common sense. Shame on you.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Never in doubt.

Disaster of a manager, the team is in no better shape than it was when he joined, and that is after spending 400m and having a free ticket in Mainoo and Garnacho coming through.
The 400m number is staggering. We could've simply hired Carrick and done much better.

miked99

How the feck is this being leaked the day before a fecking cup final?

Way to ensure our chances go from slim to none

TsuWave

United fans and performative outrage regarding vague and ever moving concepts and notions of "class". Please.

izec

The leak is no surprise, as if he would have stayed. He was a goner, leak or no leak. It was obvious. We are all shocked, because we were classy 5 years ago.

As if Ineos leaked it, there are a dozen people knowing about this.

SATA

I would walk right away immediately if i was Erik and leave the team without a manager for tomorrow’s final. I don’t care if whether he deserves to be sack, but it’s going to be horrible personally for him when he walks out with the team at Wembley tomorrow knowing he’s gone right after the game, and you’ll just know the City fans will be chanting ‘sack in the morning’ towards him. It’s sickening and low class for a club of United’s stature

Adamsk7

You hope we go with two certified failures instead of someone who might not be a failure.
Tuchel has won the German league, the French league and the champions league. He’s managed Dortmund, PSG, Chelsea and Bayern Munich.
I don’t understand how that’s failure.

You want to honestly back a manager that has ONLY managed Ipswich?

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
Why leaking rather than just sacking him after the final. On the off chance we actually beat City? :wenger:

littlepeasoup

At basically every avenue INEOS have decided to bring their own staff, rather than retain people in post at the club - does seem silly looking at it that way that anyone thought EtH might be safe in his job.

I suppose what INEOS is doing though is giving themselves no where to hide with the decisions they're making. It'll be all their own people.

Status
Not open for further replies.