The Guardian - Manchester United to sack Erik ten Hag after the FA Cup Final

Status
Not open for further replies.

90 + 5min

Dude is on a journo banning spree from last night. Even Putin would say nyet to this.
So you think it is okey with those kind of news that are done to harm us before a final? Why not coming out with something about that other team? Because there is agenda. Normal thing to do in this case is ban everybody trying to put us in some bad light before this final.

I don't know why some of you even bother to support us tomorrow. You might aswell sing Osais songs and paint yourself in that other teams colour.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
i don’t think any of the decent ones will be there instead of wembley.
:lol:

I can just picture that guy turning up to a dark, empty press room at Old Trafford tomorrow. "Where is everyone...?"

tomaldinho1

LVG knew weeks before he was getting sacked and still won us the final. I still remember one of his press conference where he walked out as he was saying his family all thought he’d been sacked already.
Pretty sure it was after, he was under pressure but he thought if he won it could save him and he only planned on one more year. In the end his wife told him as Woodward was such a weasel he didn’t tell him first but leaked it. From memory the press went wild with the Mou story straight after the FA cup win. Not our finest hour.

Big Ben Foster

Supports
I really doubt that.

Nonetheless, I see signs of hope for the future with the younger players (of which some are Ten Hag signings), starting to show good things. Build around them, replace the obvious has beens. Who's left from Moyes', LVG's, Mourinho's, etc teams? Rashford, Martial, McTom, Shaw? Of course, they must be the first to go in the summer, no more negotiation.

NB: 18 months from now, I'll be here defending when our next manager getting sacked :)
This bit says it all really. You'll be blindly defending the manager even if he unfortunately turns out to be out of his depth.

hobbers

Zero pity for Ten Hag, dude is about to get £6.5m dropped in his bank account as a reward for outright failure. If he was too arrogant to see this coming a mile off, that's on him too.

The pity is the club letting this situation develop to throw off build up to a cup final.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Honestly I find it strange that you'll accept such a lack of class and professionalism from the club management. Given that you want Ten Hag sacked for his performances, I'd expect you to want leakers sacked for undermining the club too.

It's possible to be happy about the decision and unhappy about how it was handled, just as I was with the LVG sacking.
Club management?

The club cannot prevent articles going out for christ sakes

The Firestarter

So you think it is okey with those kind of news that are done to harm us before a final? Why not coming out with something about that other team? Because there is agenda. Normal thing to do in this case is ban everybody trying to put us in some bad light before this final.

I don't know why some of you even bother to support us tomorrow. You might aswell sing Osais songs and paint yourself in that other teams colour.
Being the biggest team in the land comes with certain drawbacks. People don't care about city. They will always care about United.

Amir

There is no need to have court case solid reason to ban them. It's our media room and we just don't let them in.

They are free to tell the truth (is it even the truth?), but the choice of their timing is clearly unfriendly.
Or the timing is based on when they got the information.

It's childish to punish the media for doing their work. We have our jobs, they have our jobs, and we shouldn't try to interfere and dictate what they do and how they do it.

90 + 5min

Being the biggest team in the land comes with certain drawbacks. People don't care about city. They will always care about United.
That is why they should know that coming out with those kind of negative news with one purpose should have consequences.

Big Ben Foster

Supports

It's childish to punish the media for doing their work. We have our jobs, they have our jobs, and we shouldn't try to interfere and dictate what they do and how they do it.
Damn journos, they took our jobs!

90 + 5min

You seriously have autocratic tendencies. Do you know what free press means?
I know what free press media means. That doesn't mean that you can behave and write what you want and expect club to just accept. They could come out with same stuff day after our final. Not day before. There is a big difference. We have banned people before from press conferences.

red.knight

This bit says it all really. You'll be blindly defending the manager even if he unfortunately turns out to be out of his depth.
Most of the time, a new manager arrives because a team is playing poorly and need fresh impetus. Logic dictates managers need time to create the team in their image and build a winning and successful team. Sacking managers every 2 years is not a solution. I bet Arteta is gone 3/4 years ago if he was a United manager. Patience required with a manager.

spiriticon

I would argue that the journalist knew about this info weeks ago but chose today as the day to release it, for some reason.

I would also argue that with this timing, they are actively trying to interfere with our job, which is to prepare for the cup final.

They also could have released this at the final whistle tomorrow. INEOS isn't going to walk onto the Wembley pitch and sack ETH there.

It may or may not be the truth, but their choice of timing is unforgivable from our perspective.

AndySmith1990

Most of the time, a new manager arrives because a team is playing poorly and need fresh impetus. Logic dictates managers need time to create the team in their image and build a winning and successful team. Sacking managers every 2 years is not a solution. I bet Arteta is gone 3/4 years ago if he was a United manager. Patience required with a manager.
How do you think we'd be doing now if Moyes were still here? How many titles would we have won?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Honestly I find it strange that you'll accept such a lack of class and professionalism from the club management. Given that you want Ten Hag sacked for his performances, I'd expect you to want leakers sacked for undermining the club too.

It's possible to be happy about the decision and unhappy about how it was handled, just as I was with the LVG sacking.
I choose to believe it was already handled privately. The INEOS gang strike me as being professional and demanding. I’m positive that they had a conversation with him.

Gaidal

Please no "clean slate for all the players", just get rid.

Rista

For every Arteta there are 100 Stevie Gs. That's what the flaw in your logic is.

USREDEVIL

I choose to believe it was already handled privately. The INEOS gang strike me as being professional and demanding. I’m positive that they had a conversation with him.
Not denying this. But i am curious as to why they would have this conversation before the cup final and end of the season if they were going to let him finish out. There's no rush at that point. There's really no reason not to keep completely silent and then after the cup final is over, then take a day or two or more to decide and let the manager know. I understand that there's managers out there and clubs looking for managers, but we're talking about a few days of waiting. To do it before the cup final creates potentially issues in motivation and drama that are not helpful to anyone.

abailey123

We started a season under a cloud (Greenwood) we’re ending the season under a cloud (Sacking) anyone else ready for a bit of a break from this circus?

spiriticon

We started a season under a cloud (Greenwood) we’re ending the season under a cloud (Sacking) anyone else ready for a bit of a break from this circus?
You still got the Ashworth litigation battle next year to look forward to. Get belted in.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I'm waiting to be told that the fact that happens multiple times every game is some sort of tactical brilliance ruined by injuries.
Some had convinced themselves it was somehow a good thing when we concede loads of shots on goal.

Bocca9978

For those worrying about the Final, the players will probably be hugely motivated by the hope that if they impress they could get a chance next season under manager who has some semblance of an idea about what he's doing.
I called this up the pub. Personally think Erik has know for some time. Now it’s out the players may step up. As they have (a little) past two games.

Crackers

greasy ginfers
Some had convinced themselves it was somehow a good thing when we concede loads of shots on goal.
The mental gymnastic on this forum consistently outdoes itself. The players have been awful, and we've been hit by injury after injury, but he's the most tactically naive coach we've ever had.
I daresay Moyes had more to offer

mikeyt

So is it Poch, De Zerbi, Tuchel or McKenna that we've tapped up ready to join on Monday!?

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I guess Arsenal should have stuck with Emery instead, going by your logic.

Villa should have stuck with Gerrard. We should have stuck with Moyes. Real should have stayed with Benitez instead of going for Zidane. Liverpool should have stayed with Rogers instead of Klopp. Hell, I guess we should have stuck with Atkinson instead of going for Ferguson, and Arsenal should have stayed with Rioch instead of getting Wenger.

Sacking managers who aren't good enough is the solution. Whether that's after 6 months or 4 years. Indeed, the sooner the better so you can move on to a manager who might be successful, and to limit the damage that the failing manager can do. Success isn't just based on what is happening on the field (although obviously that's the biggest one), but also on what is happening behind the scenes that the club feels is building for the future. Arsenal were obviously happier with what they saw in that regard compared to what they saw under Emery, which is why Arteta was given extra time and they saw steady improvement under him. Whereas there's been no signs whatsoever that ETH is building anything or improving things.

Sacking the manager isn't the only part of the solution, but if they aren't good enough then it is the single most important thing a club has to do. A poor manager will make good players fail (look at what happened with Moyes here), whereas good managers can make average players successful.

Amir

I would argue that the journalist knew about this info weeks ago but chose today as the day to release it, for some reason.

I would also argue that with this timing, they are actively trying to interfere with our job, which is to prepare for the cup final.

They also could have released this at the final whistle tomorrow. INEOS isn't going to walk onto the Wembley pitch and sack ETH there.

It may or may not be the truth, but their choice of timing is unforgivable from our perspective.
Obviously if they got the information earlier and chose to sit on it for a while in order to publish it today of all days, then it's rather naughty, but it's unlikely. They would have feared someone else getting the exclusive out before they do.

Sitting on it for weeks is just not something you do in such a competitive field, and for what? Disrupt our preperations for a match we're likely to lose anyway by bringing out information anyone with good sense already knows? If anything, they're almost late to the party because articles about our interest in other managers and INEOS's silence speak volumes.

Oh, and if we won tomorrow and they released it at the final whistle - people would have said they are trying to ruin our celebrations.

As a journalist and newspaper you just have to do your job.

Status
Not open for further replies.