The Guardian - Manchester United to sack Erik ten Hag after the FA Cup Final

Status
Not open for further replies.

spiriticon

Obviously if they got the information earlier and chose to sit on it for a while in order to publish it today of all days, then it's rather naughty, but it's unlikely. They would have feared someone else getting the exclusive out before they do.

Sitting on it for weeks is just not something you do in such a competitive field, and for what? Disrupt our preperations for a match we're likely to lose anyway by bringing out information anyone with good sense already knows? If anything, they're almost late to the party because articles about our interest in other managers and INEOS's silence speak volumes.

Oh, and if we won tomorrow and they released it at the final whistle - people would have said they are trying to ruin our celebrations.

As a journalist and newspaper you just have to do your job.
We're as capable as anyone to win a single football match if we prepare well and have no distractions. Ruining our celebrations is far better than ruining our preparations.

They are free to report whatever and whenever they want, but on our side it doesn't mean that we must accept any content or timing that journalists wish to publish without question. We also can have an opinion on the way things are handled. Did they even ask us for our side of the story?

Last edited:

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
I would argue that if we're going after those people, who are unable to avoid sabotaging their potential new club before a cup final, then the decision isn't a very good one by the club.
And you would be right. Man, has this place gone to the dogs.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
No way, its almost time for muppet season!
If we do the massive squad overhaul that would probably accompany a McKenna appointment, this muppet season is going to be one for the history books. :drool:

red.knight

How do you think we'd be doing now if Moyes were still here? How many titles would we have won?
Nobody knows how many titles would we have won if Moyes was still here. After Moyes, we had LVG, Mourinho, Ole, Ten hag. Ask why none of them were successful?

Managers need time and opportunity to reflect and improve. Ten hag took us to 3rd in an injury free season, won Carabao cup (ended our 5-year trophy drought) and a European semifinal. I admit this season the performance and results were bad but he has been working with a squad which is incapable of, yes incapable of playing possession football, it can only function in a low block. The majority of the midfield and defence Maguire, Linfelof, Wan Bissaka, McTominay, Martial, Rashford, etc have shown their deficiencies. The squad needs a complete overhaul and instead of doing the right thing we are doing what the Glazers have been doing all along, sack the manager and let these overpaid underperformers stay on, give them another contract extension and let the rot spread further.

As I said, sacking managers every 2 season is not the solution. The constant derision, undermining and negativity of every manager betrays a club whose standards have fallen so dramatically. Arteta finished 8th twice and to date has only won one FA cup. That’s not an opinion. It’s a fact. We could just give ETH another season and get the players who can play his system.

The Firestarter

I know what free press media means. That doesn't mean that you can behave and write what you want and expect club to just accept. They could come out with same stuff day after our final. Not day before. There is a big difference. We have banned people before from press conferences.
You can't write what you want. There are libel laws for that. However, mostly , you can write true things whenever you want, with some exceptions such a secuirty of the country or if people lives are in danger. A fecking cup final is not a acceptable exception though.

thisisnottaken1

Shame, I had high hopes when he first came in based on his work at Ajax, but it just has not worked out.

I do hope we move him on though as big changes are needed. First in the boardroom, next in the coaching team and squad.

I'd like Mckenna or Iraola personally, though Tuchel would certainly be an improvement on ETH. Big no to Poch.
I had high hopes as well. I thought that he’d be the manager who would finally lead us out of the post-Fergie dark age and get us playing attractive, progressive football. I thought that he’d be the one who would lead us back to being one of the big clubs. How wrong I was, as he’s left us even worse off than Moyes or Rangnick did. That’s quite the negative achievement.

AndySmith1990

Nobody knows how many titles would we have won if Moyes was still here. After Moyes, we had LVG, Mourinho, Ole, Ten hag. Ask why none of them were successful?
We do know how many titles he would've won. None.

Why weren't any of those managers successful? Simple. They weren't good enough.

Some of you just ignore what's in front of you and believe in some false notion that every manager can be Fergie if given enough time.

Tarrou

Obviously if they got the information earlier and chose to sit on it for a while in order to publish it today of all days, then it's rather naughty, but it's unlikely. They would have feared someone else getting the exclusive out before they do.

Sitting on it for weeks is just not something you do in such a competitive field, and for what? Disrupt our preperations for a match we're likely to lose anyway by bringing out information anyone with good sense already knows? If anything, they're almost late to the party because articles about our interest in other managers and INEOS's silence speak volumes.

Oh, and if we won tomorrow and they released it at the final whistle - people would have said they are trying to ruin our celebrations.

As a journalist and newspaper you just have to do your job.
Yeah there's no way you'd sit on that story it would be madness.

The most likely course of events, as I see it, is the Poch sacking accelerated events. Poch became available, and some of Chelsea's targets would inevitably be our primary targets too (McKenna, Tuchel, Dezerbi). This would have forced our hand to at least begin intermediary talks with agents to stop Chelsea getting the jump on us. And agents leak stuff all the time.

Rista

We do know how many titles he would've won. None.

Why weren't any of those managers successful? Simple. They weren't good enough.

Some of you just ignore what's in front of you and believe in some false notion that every manager can be Fergie if given enough time.
Interesting how all players are bad but it can't be possible that we hired bad/wrong managers as well.

spiriticon

As I said, sacking managers every 2 season is not the solution. The constant derision, undermining and negativity of every manager betrays a club whose standards have fallen so dramatically. Arteta finished 8th twice and to date has only won one FA cup. That’s not an opinion. It’s a fact. We could just give ETH another season and get the players who can play his system.
Errrr...no. No more getting ETH 'his' players. We are done with that.

If he somehow rises from the dead and stays one more year, he gets whatever Wilcox gets him.

AndySmith1990

Interesting how all players are bad but it can't be possible that we hired bad/wrong managers as well.
Yeah I know. It's a weird way of thinking. Apply the same logic to players that we see with managers and we'd have stuck with Obertan for a decade hoping he'd become Pele. Utter nonsense excuses are made for United managers on here

tjb

Managers need time and opportunity to reflect and improve. Ten hag took us to 3rd in an injury free season, won Carabao cup (ended our 5-year trophy drought) and a European semifinal. I admit this season the performance and results were bad but he has been working with a squad which is incapable of, yes incapable of playing possession football, it can only function in a low block. The majority of the midfield and defence Maguire, Linfelof, Wan Bissaka, McTominay, Martial, Rashford, etc have shown their deficiencies. The squad needs a complete overhaul and instead of doing the right thing we are doing what the Glazers have been doing all along, sack the manager and let these overpaid underperformers stay on, give them another contract extension and let the rot spread further.

You're right, its not the solution. We shouldn't be waiting 2 years. He should have been sacked in November. I'd argue that we leave things too late compared to other clubs....so its funny that you're still on the given them more time train. Ten years has proven that too much time with bad managers can lead to lasting damage. Which is why other teams can sack managers for finishing 2nd, whilst we're still debating with you over Moyes finishing 7th after us winning the league the previous season. You won't argue for a player who is underperforming badly to stay for 3 years, so I don't see why you don't keep the same energy for managers.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I guess Arsenal should have stuck with Emery instead, going by your logic.

Villa should have stuck with Gerrard. We should have stuck with Moyes. Real should have stayed with Benitez instead of going for Zidane. Liverpool should have stayed with Rogers instead of Klopp. Hell, I guess we should have stuck with Atkinson instead of going for Ferguson, and Arsenal should have stayed with Rioch instead of getting Wenger.

Sacking managers who aren't good enough is the solution. Whether that's after 6 months or 4 years. Indeed, the sooner the better so you can move on to a manager who might be successful, and to limit the damage that the failing manager can do. Success isn't just based on what is happening on the field (although obviously that's the biggest one), but also on what is happening behind the scenes that the club feels is building for the future. Arsenal were obviously happier with what they saw in that regard compared to what they saw under Emery, which is why Arteta was given extra time and they saw steady improvement under him. Whereas there's been no signs whatsoever that ETH is building anything or improving things.

Sacking the manager isn't the only part of the solution, but if they aren't good enough then it is the single most important thing a club has to do.
Don't you want ETH stay another year to see what this summer's record signings of Patrick Schick, Denzel Dumfries, and Hakim Ziyech can do next season ?

OleGunnar20

I had high hopes as well. I thought that he’d be the manager who would finally lead us out of the post-Fergie dark age and get us playing attractive, progressive football. I thought that he’d be the one who would lead us back to being one of the big clubs. How wrong I was, as he’s left us even worse off than Moyes or Rangnick did. That’s quite the negative achievement.
Glad to know I wasn't alone in that ! Ah well, we all knew that the real problems were far higher up than any manager, player or coach, and we finally appear to be moving in the right direction on that front at least.

red.knight

For every Arteta there are 100 Stevie Gs. That's what the flaw in your logic is.
You are right but do you think Moyes, LVG, Mourinho, Ole, Rangnick and Ten Hag are Stevie Gs of this world? Apart from Ole, they were experienced and good managers. In his farewell speech, Fergie asked fans to “stand by our new manager,” reminding us of the patience he was given during tough times. Since then, we have had five permanent managers who between them spent over £1.4 billion on transfers with no Premier League title to show for it. The common denominator after Fergie retired (that is 11 years ago) is the Glazers.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Don't you want ETH stay another year to see what this summer's record signings of Patrick Schick, Denzel Dumfries, and Hakim Ziyech can do next season ?
That's not fair, you're forgetting Brian Brobbey and the transformative effect he would have on our attack

ManUtd1999

This would be the best thing that happened to Manchester United since 2013.

Amir

They are free to report whatever and whenever they want, but on our side it doesn't mean that we must accept any content or timing that journalists wish to publish without question. We also can have an opinion on the way things are handled. Did they even ask us for our side of the story?
But where does it end? Are we going to ban anyone who dares publish something we don't like? Or if their timing doesn't suit us?

The media have their job to do and unless they really do something wrong, we shouldn't try to be North Korea.

Rista

You are right but do you think Moyes, LVG, Mourinho, Ole, Rangnick and Ten Hag are Stevie Gs of this world? Apart from Ole, they were experienced and good managers. In his farewell speech, Fergie asked fans to “stand by our new manager,” reminding us of the patience he was given during tough times. Since then, we have had five permanent managers who between them spent over £1.4 billion on transfers with no Premier League title to show for it. The common denominator after Fergie retired (that is 11 years ago) is the Glazers.
That speech was one of the biggest mistakes the great man made, just after recommending Moyes himself. He never anticipated it would be that bad and distanced himself from it later.

What have Moyes, LVG, and Mourinho achieved after leaving United?

Amir

The most likely course of events, as I see it, is the Poch sacking accelerated events. Poch became available, and some of Chelsea's targets would inevitably be our primary targets too (McKenna, Tuchel, Dezerbi). This would have forced our hand to at least begin intermediary talks with agents to stop Chelsea getting the jump on us. And agents leak stuff all the time.
That's exactly what some of the papers are saying that happened. We had to rush stuff and things inevitably were leaked.

The one question that remains is how The Guardian got their exclusive, which is different than what the others papers have as they still talk about *if* ETH goes.

lsd

The Oracle
I'm just so hopeful that after tomorrow it will be finally be over and we get rid of the worst manager we have had in decades

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Us having a final tomorrow means what exactly? Journos have to do their job
It's rather pathetic how some of these fanboys are willing to encourage a wannabe dictatorship but when their guy was literally insulting fans criticising his shite tactics, it was being encouraged.

Bloody ridiculous.

Matt Varnish

Hello Sailor.
I don't believe this, if you compare his win percentage with managers who have been here a similar amount of time, then he is behind Jose on 57.5%, Ferguson in 26 years was 59.7%.
So is he really that bad?

red.knight

I guess Arsenal should have stuck with Emery instead, going by your logic.
YES

Emery would have won many trophies at Arsenal (including PL title) if he was given the same time and resource as Arteta, in my opinion. Emery is a much better and successful manager than Arteta, in my opinion.

After he left Arsenal, Emery led Villareal to their first Europa League trophy in 2021 beating Arsenal/Arteta in the semi and United in the final. He led Villareal to CL semi in 2022. He led Aston Villa to the top four finish for the first time since 1995. That’s not an opinion. It’s a fact.

Hal9000

I don't think he's getting sacked really for the results, yes they were shit but I don't think that's the reason. There is plenty of arguments to keep him. Others progress last season, horrible injury record, to much off field drama with players and the takeover.

I think the reason is that, from what he's said, he wants to stay involved in recruitment and will be reluctant to give up his say on transfers, when we're moving to a model where the players will be recruited by Wilcox and Ashworth. Getting rid of him and putting someone who will probably accept less say (like McKenna) will cause less issues for Jim's new set up.

Rista

I don't believe this, if you compare his win percentage with managers who have been here a similar amount of time, then he is behind Jose on 57.5%, Ferguson in 26 years was 59.7%.
So is he really that bad?
Yes he is because win percentage doesn't tell you how many games he has lost.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
They haven't won anything noteworthy since leaving Utd either.

They are all clearly better than Gerrard, but they are also all clearly not good enough (at the time they joined us) to succeed at the top level. Just like ETH almost certainly appears.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
YES

Emery would have won many trophies at Arsenal (including PL title) if he was given the same time and resource as Arteta, in my opinion. Emery is a much better and successful manager than Arteta, in my opinion.

After he left Arsenal, Emery led Villareal to their first Europa League trophy in 2021 beating Arsenal/Arteta in the semi and United in the final. He led Villareal to CL semi in 2022. He led Aston Villa to the top four finish for the first time since 1995. That’s not an opinion. It’s a fact.
What about all the others I mentioned?

Emery is the only one there that is debatable, but I include him because Arteta is the one people always point to so it's only fair. The Arsenal board obviously felt otherwise, and based on how things have gone under Arteta they appear to have got it right.

Will all managers be successful if given time? If not, how do you judge which ones to give time to and which ones not?

kaku06

Vulgarian
Ah so we are a club that defines it's manager by one season now, regardless of a good first season. The great United way. Best fans in the world. Don't show your bias or anything. Fan community my hole. Thankfully this place is no more than an echo chamber of a section of Manchester United fans. As embarrassing as this whole circus show. 1 post left for today and thank god will be my last. May as well ban the account. I don't have enough clown makeup to keep posting here.
Yes Sir. Sorry Sir, for polluting you with the presence of my likes here sir.

Status
Not open for further replies.