Television The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
It is always fun reading people discussing how they got it wrong about Orcs, Elves, and Wizards. So unrealistic!!!

:lol:

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Just out of interest, how did you find the Hobbit? This is an absolute treat by comparison, and these guys have no real source material for the meat on those bones, so it feels less sacrilegious to me.
The first one was just about OK but it was unwatchable by the end. I'm not judging RoP as Tolkien though - just how good it is as a standalone story.

Alsoif I hear one more over-rolled rrrrr I'm gonna do something I regret. Galadrrrrrriel in Numenorrrrrrrr

Last edited:

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
The first one was just about OK but it was unwatchable by the end. I'm not judging RoP as Tolkien though - just how good it is as a standalone story.

Alsoif I hear one more over-rolled rrrrr I'm gonna do something I regret. Galadrrrrrriel in Numenorrrrrrrr
It's what JRR would have wanted.

Eriku

Fair enough. I second that Hobbit assessment. Was cautiously optimistic after the first :(

glazed

You'd think a lover to JRR would appreciate it too, but apparently Glazed just hates everything.
I like the cinematography. I quite like Galadrrrrriel as a character albeit she is a fan fiction character not a Tolkien character. I like the youknowwho as Sauron guessing games even though it's obvious and always has been. I like the Uruks and their bad dad. I like the designs. I like the dwarves. I like Elrond. I'm still watching. But it would be untrue to say that they are owning it with this show. The much cheaper House of Dragons is hugely better because the plot makes sense and the characters are mostly really good.

I can imagine it getting better though. It's not a dead loss.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
I like the cinematography. I quite like Galadrrrrriel as a character albeit she is a fan fiction character not a Tolkien character. I like the youknowwho as Sauron guessing games even though it's obvious and always has been. I like the Uruks and their bad dad. I like the designs. I like the dwarves. I like Elrond. I'm still watching. But it would be untrue to say that they are owning it with this show. The much cheaper House of Dragons is hugely better because the plot makes sense and the characters are mostly really good.

I can imagine it getting better though. It's not a dead loss.
I'm on the side of liking it but that's a fair opinion.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Was a good episode but still had so many annoying tropes that are just unneeded.

About 5 or 6 ‘hero throws’ during that one on one scene followed by your classic ‘main character in trouble but the bad guy gets stabbed from behind’ thing happening at least two times. Also counted two instances of stopping mid battle to stare at each other/nod. Also Numenor riding in the day but the other scene happening at night until suddenly it’s day again.

Was a much better episode overall but it’s just peppered with really lazy parts which if given more thought and attention would elevate it a bit more. The pay-off with the tunnels was clever though.

Last edited:

glazed

You realise that the water setting off the volcano is an actual thing that's possible? That's just one of the things you were wrong about.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/rings-of-power-mt-doom-volcano-water-real-1235230089/
Funnily enough I read up on this already before I posted. It's definitely a thing with underwater volcanos and glacial ones where the pressure can't escape. But this didn't seem to be that kind of volcanic explosion - it seemed to trigger the magma into erupting and it was a more conventional eruption rather than a steam eruption. But that wasn't really the daft bit. The daft bit was that the orcs were able to dig a tunnel to the magma chamber (deep underground) big enough to carry a geologically significant enough amount of water to trigger a volcano. And then leave it on a hair trigger and lose the key.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
So why did someone go to the trouble of making an 'on switch' for Mordor?
That's a good question.

You've got two options, Morgoth or Sauron. Morgoth seems a little less likely as he was based much further North and Sauron is known to be a master craftsman. Why would he create a switch to turn on Mount Doom? Right now it's assumption and guesswork, we may get told later. My guess is that Sauron made it as a Plan B. If Morgoth fell, then he would want a new area for his main base and by having Mount Doom it allows him to shroud the area in darkness which will help his orcsies. Timing is important for Sauron, he wouldn't want to create Mordor immediately as he has greater plans that need to be done first. But Adar found out about the on switch and we know that he wants to become a God so clearly wants to claim Mordor for himself.

I don't find it too crazy that Orcs tunneled down into Mount Doom either, they're expert builders and very resourceful. Yes we can moan about heat etc, but if we use that same principle then Sam and Frodo should have been burnt to a crisp in LOTR when the ring was destroyed. It's fantasy, so lets assume Orcs are a bit more resilient to heat.

SuperiorXI

That's a good question.

You've got two options, Morgoth or Sauron. Morgoth seems a little less likely as he was based much further North and Sauron is known to be a master craftsman. Why would he create a switch to turn on Mount Doom? Right now it's assumption and guesswork, we may get told later. My guess is that Sauron made it as a Plan B. If Morgoth fell, then he would want a new area for his main base and by having Mount Doom it allows him to shroud the area in darkness which will help his orcsies. Timing is important for Sauron, he wouldn't want to create Mordor immediately as he has greater plans that need to be done first. But Adar found out about the on switch and we know that he wants to become a God so clearly wants to claim Mordor for himself.

I don't find it too crazy that Orcs tunneled down into Mount Doom either, they're expert builders and very resourceful. Yes we can moan about heat etc, but if we use that same principle then Sam and Frodo should have been burnt to a crisp in LOTR when the ring was destroyed. It's fantasy, so lets assume Orcs are a bit more resilient to heat.
Ah interesting ideas. I don't know much about the lore, where did they live pre-Mordor? I assumed Mordor was always around in the books.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
it’s easy to shit on the writing and acting but the simple fact is none of us were alive when all of this took place. there is going to be some artistic license used and some embellishment over time. my mother-in-law has some uruk in her bloodline and from the stories that are passed down through her, what’s being portrayed is pretty accurate to what she’s been told.

Sylar

A lot say the dialogue is and cringey. Which parts? I dont necessary see (or hear) that. Certainly not to take me out of it and kill any flow of watching the show.

I do agree with a poster above that anybody who had any thoughts about the show before hand are sticking to it mostly.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Ah interesting ideas. I don't know much about the lore, where did they live pre-Mordor? I assumed Mordor was always around in the books.
As far North as the map shows basically, Morgoth was Saurons boss. They both dwelt in a huge feck off castle called Angband. What we saw in the show was the creation of Mordor, without checking the lore i'm pretty sure all of this was meant to happen in the early/middle 2nd Age but the time compression in the show means it's happening much later. But that's not a big deal really as I think it helps the story to see Mordor created and evolve into what we see in the films.

Morgoth was mentioned in the prologue in the first episode. He was the fella responsible for destroying those two huge trees and ultimately killing thousands of elves before he was defeated.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
As far North as the map shows basically, Morgoth was Saurons boss. They both dwelt in a huge feck off castle called Angband. What we saw in the show was the creation of Mordor, without checking the lore i'm pretty sure all of this was meant to happen in the early/middle 2nd Age but the time compression in the show means it's happening much later. But that's not a big deal really as I think it helps the story to see Mordor created and evolve into what we see in the films.

Morgoth was mentioned in the prologue in the first episode. He was the fella responsible for destroying those two huge trees and ultimately killing thousands of elves before he was defeated.
I thought Sauron ruled Angband and Melkor Utumno.

Edit: my bad, it's was dynami.

roseguy64

Funnily enough I read up on this already before I posted. It's definitely a thing with underwater volcanos and glacial ones where the pressure can't escape. But this didn't seem to be that kind of volcanic explosion - it seemed to trigger the magma into erupting and it was a more conventional eruption rather than a steam eruption. But that wasn't really the daft bit. The daft bit was that the orcs were able to dig a tunnel to the magma chamber (deep underground) big enough to carry a geologically significant enough amount of water to trigger a volcano. And then leave it on a hair trigger and lose the key.
They didn't have the key at the beginning of this series i.e Galadriel in the north. They were building the tunnels in anticipation of finding the key. They knew the general area of where it would be, in one of the Southland villages.

Why would the orcs not be capable of building the tunnels?

glazed

They didn't have the key at the beginning of this series i.e Galadriel in the north. They were building the tunnels in anticipation of finding the key. They knew the general area of where it would be, in one of the Southland villages.

Why would the orcs not be capable of building the tunnels?
The tunnels didn't seem big enough and the water didn't seem enough to activate a volcano, especially as we saw it was not a pressurised chamber. I'm not an expert but the physics looks like it requires an undersea collapse or a gigantic glacier, not that trickle from quite small tunnels built by what seem like not that many orcs. To do that manually would have required millions or orcs, not hundreds, if it could be done at all.

Secondly magma chambers are usually miles underground. How would you mine that? Even Moria was the work of centuries.

Thirdly if this heath robinson flood mechanism had been created it should have been relatively simple to activate manually without needing a magic key to blow up some keystone for dramatic effect. Especially if you have that kind of labour force to hand.

Four - that kind of pyrochlastic flow we saw at the end is not survivable so if Galadriel is anything other than dead at the start of the next episode then that will be ridiculous.

Basically the whole thing is silly and contrived and I don't see the harm in saying so. On the other hand it is fantasy so it probabaly doesn't matter than much.

roseguy64

The tunnels didn't seem big enough and the water didn't seem enough to activate a volcano, especially as we saw it was not a pressurised chamber. I'm not an expert but the physics looks like it requires an undersea collapse or a gigantic glacier, not that trickle from quite small tunnels built by what seem like not that many orcs. To do that manually would have required millions or orcs, not hundreds, if it could be done at all.

Secondly magma chambers are usually miles underground. How would you mine that? Even Moria was the work of centuries.

Thirdly if this heath robinson flood mechanism had been created it should have been relatively simple to activate manually without needing a magic key to blow up some keystone for dramatic effect. Especially if you have that kind of labour force to hand.

Four - that kind of pyrochlastic flow we saw at the end is not survivable so if Galadriel is anything other than dead at the start of the next episode then that will be ridiculous.

Basically the whole thing is silly and contrived and I don't see the harm in saying so. On the other hand it is fantasy so it probabaly doesn't matter than much.
Okay.

devips

It's a fantasy. We don't need phenomena to be scientifically explained.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history

glazed

It's a fantasy. We don't need phenomena to be scientifically explained.
But we can say it is silly and doesn't make much sense. I was much more confused by why Galadriel and co galloped full speed to the exact place they needed to be just in the nick of time. How did they know? You have to put your hand up and say this is consistent bad writing.

Does it matter? No, not really.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
So, Planet blows up because of the firepower of 3 hataks? A dozen hataks couldn't even dent an ori ship and our 304 destroyed the same ori ship with 2-3 shots with our uber asgard beams.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Guys, how does a ring control people? And how does it control other rings, that also control people, or give them power or something? Also how do rings give people power or something?

I want scientific explanations or I’m downvoting it on IMDb

Spoony

The People's President
Galadriel is great. A good character with a potential to kill all orcs and shoot her mouth off as well. She lacks maturity but I'm sure we'll see a positive change in her war torn personality. She's very good.

Spoony

The People's President
Guys, how does a ring control people? And how does it control other rings, that also control people, or give them power or something? Also how do rings give people power or something?

Magic. Science indeed.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Magic. Science indeed.
You know when they cut the ring off Sharon’s finger at the beginning (pretty fecking dumb flaw in his plan there tbh) how come it instantly kills all the orcs too? And also it blows up the mountain and everything at the end as well… like, that’s pretty fecking stupid, isn’t it? None of it makes any scientific sense

Also why is Orlando Bloom so wooden and rubbish? Tolkien should never have put him in the books

glazed

A good story only has to have internal logic. Wolves can't talk but Little Red Riding Hood still makes sense if what the wolf says makes sense. Tolkien has internal logic. This doesn't.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
You know when they cut the ring off Sharon’s finger at the beginning (pretty fecking dumb flaw in his plan there tbh) how come it instantly kills all the orcs too? And also it blows up the mountain and everything at the end as well… like, that’s pretty fecking stupid, isn’t it? None of it makes any scientific sense

Also why is Orlando Bloom so wooden and rubbish? Tolkien should never have put him in the books
He rides Shields down stairs and single-handedly kills big elephants with people on top. If anything, he's silky and awesome, with very well combed hair throughout.

Spoony

The People's President

To be fair, Tolkien's work was bloody awful. This TV series and Jackson's movies do a great job in making it all so watchable. As for Orlando Bloom he's just as wooden and one dimensional as the characters in Tolkien's literature. But yeah one ring to rule them all. Science bitch.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
A good story only has to have internal logic. Wolves can't talk but Little Red Riding Hood still makes sense if what the wolf says makes sense. Tolkien has internal logic. This doesn't.
Tolkien had lots of logic, but let's not go far with how he created everything with perfect purpose. If Middle-Earth was based on ancient geological model, shouldn't be all flat ? So when certain bearded chap falls from the stars, he basically should hit the firmanent of glass first and instantly kill himself.

glazed

Tolkien had lots of logic, but let's not go far with how he created everything with perfect purpose. If Middle-Earth was based on ancient geological model, shouldn't be all flat ? So when certain bearded chap falls from the stars, he basically should hit the firmanent of glass first and instantly kill himself.
Tolkien's world was flat in the second age but round in the third age, which would explain why Galadriel could see the coast of Middle earth a whole hour before Elendil could - there is no actual horizon. That was an example of good internal logic that enhanced the story in a subtle way.

The bearded chap from the stars is an amazon creation, not a Tolkien creation, though I know nothing of this glass ceiling of which you speak.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Tolkien's world was flat in the second age but round in the third age, which would explain why Galadriel could see the coast of Middle earth a whole hour before Elendil could - there is no actual horizon. That was an example of good internal logic that enhanced the story in a subtle way.

The bearded chap from the stars is an amazon creation, not a Tolkien creation, though I know nothing of this glass ceiling of which you speak.
It's because gravity doesn't work well on a Flat Earth model as there is no centre of it. Firmanent was needed to keep everything attached like atmosphere and other elements. Quite intriguing how Middle-Earth formed into ball without tearing the whole place apart.

glazed

It's because gravity doesn't work well on a Flat Earth model as there is no centre of it. Firmanent was needed to keep everything attached like atmosphere and other elements. Quite intriguing how Middle-Earth formed into ball without tearing the whole place apart.
Well because God (Eru) said so