Television The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power

John_Jensen

This is braindead horseshit for morons.

A child would be embarrassed by the inept writing.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
That's a 'correlation is not a causation' joke, right?
That's Python's classic mate, underlining Tolkien wasn't fully logical, why Eru would re-create his work differently. I guess first time wasn't good enough.

I agreed with you on Tolkien's logic because it makes sense in many ways, but not in it's entirety, when his logic just doesn't apply.

Sudden change in cosmology which took part in Tolkien's work could be used as argument pointing the flaw, just like streaming series changing things in it's own version.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
That's Python's classic mate, underlining Tolkien wasn't fully logical, why Eru would re-create his work differently. I guess first time wasn't good enough.

I agreed with you on Tolkien's logic because it makes sense in many ways, but not in it's entirety, when his logic just doesn't apply.

Sudden change in cosmology which took part in Tolkien's work could be used as argument pointing the flaw, just like streaming series changing things in it's own version.
I know what it is of course. The joke is that a correlation is a causation.

But Eru can do whatever he likes as he is God. To be fair the altering of the world did involve a great deal of damage which we've already seen a glimpse of in the show.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
I know what it is of course. The joke is that a correlation is a causation.

But Eru can do whatever he likes as he is God. To be fair the altering of the world did involve a great deal of damage which we've already seen a glimpse of in the show.
Exactly, he can do whatever he wants. He could change whole shape of the world in earlier era to prevent growing evil to spread.

Supposedly Tolkien retracted from the spherical world before LOTR which just made that subject even more convoluted with questions.

Sylar

The tunnels didn't seem big enough and the water didn't seem enough to activate a volcano, especially as we saw it was not a pressurised chamber. I'm not an expert but the physics looks like it requires an undersea collapse or a gigantic glacier, not that trickle from quite small tunnels built by what seem like not that many orcs. To do that manually would have required millions or orcs, not hundreds, if it could be done at all.

Secondly magma chambers are usually miles underground. How would you mine that? Even Moria was the work of centuries.

Thirdly if this heath robinson flood mechanism had been created it should have been relatively simple to activate manually without needing a magic key to blow up some keystone for dramatic effect. Especially if you have that kind of labour force to hand.

Four - that kind of pyrochlastic flow we saw at the end is not survivable so if Galadriel is anything other than dead at the start of the next episode then that will be ridiculous.

Basically the whole thing is silly and contrived and I don't see the harm in saying so. On the other hand it is fantasy so it probabaly doesn't matter than much.
:lol: for someone who doesn't like this you sure are waaaay into this.
I thought you accepted this was just 'fanfic from Hollywood hacks'

glazed

Exactly, he can do whatever he wants. He could change whole shape of the world in earlier era to prevent growing evil to spread.

Supposedly Tolkien retracted from the spherical world before LOTR which just made that subject even more convoluted with questions.
I mean you can read the whole of LOTR and never have to worry about it. Rings of power s01e06 is a bit more of a tricky customer to make sense of. It's almost like the writers don't really care about the coherence and just want emoting and spectacle.

Last edited:

glazed

:lol: for someone who doesn't like this you sure are waaaay into this.
I thought you accepted this was just 'fanfic from Hollywood hacks'
Well yeah but I decided to judge it on its own merits as a story rather than how faithful it was to Tolkien. Turns out it's still pretty bad. Now I'm hypnotised by the spectacle of a giant corporation running out of control across pop culture like a wounded Oliphaunt.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I’m gonna give glazed some BOD and agree that this one…

Thirdly if this heath robinson flood mechanism had been created it should have been relatively simple to activate manually without needing a magic key to blow up some keystone for dramatic effect. Especially if you have that kind of labour force to hand.
… is indeed the kind of thing that’s very much written for TV, as it’s designed to be a sort of dramatic Rube Goldberg visual thing above all else. The kind that you wouldn’t think to write into a book because it’d be boring, and also you just don’t need to put that much thought into it when you can just say something vaguely mystical like “and the dark winds blew his evil farts into the misty mountain and wrought a dreadful gust upon the lands” and just be done with it..

Neither are particular logical, but neither really work in the other medium either.

All the other ones… a wizard did it.

SuperiorXI

Guys, how does a ring control people? And how does it control other rings, that also control people, or give them power or something? Also how do rings give people power or something?

I want scientific explanations or I’m downvoting it on IMDb
My ring controls me after a vindaloo I can tell you that much

tomaldinho1

My ring controls me after a vindaloo I can tell you that much
One ring to rule them all,
One ring to find them,
One ring to sting them all.
And in the toilet bind them.
In the land of pebbledash, where the shadows lie.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
This is braindead horseshit for morons.

A child would be embarrassed by the inept writing.
What I did not like are sentences that might be appropriate in a General Hospital episode or motivational speeches like in Jerry Maguire - and suddenly they are using them in these series.
Also, I was expecting Joe Rogan to come out of the shadows and comment on that UFC-like fight scene.

Spoony

The People's President
Anyone else think Tolkien was a weirdo. Like the type of bloke who'd dress up in his mum's clobber, especially her lingerie?

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Really enjoyed that episode, and the plot feels like it has actually started up. Though it does feel like all the characters have far to much plot armour for me to ever fear one is actually going to be killed. They need to have one of the minor ones die, perhaps the kids friend? to at least give us a thought they could be in danger. Otherwise its just randoms meaningless dying each scene.

I did have to laugh at the whole horses coming to the rescue part as well.

The final scene of Mount Doom being created was visually amazing, and I'm looking forward to seeing what the fall out is, particularly as evil takes over the land

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
What's all the moaning about the script?

"We are creations of the One, Master of the Secret Fire, the same as you. As worthy of the breath of life and just as worthy of a home."

How is this bad writing?

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea

"We are creations of the One, Master of the Secret Fire, the same as you. As worthy of the breath of life and just as worthy of a home."

How is this bad writing?
"Do you believe me?"

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Really enjoyed that episode, and the plot feels like it has actually started up. Though it does feel like all the characters have far to much plot armour for me to ever fear one is actually going to be killed. They need to have one of the minor ones die, perhaps the kids friend? to at least give us a thought they could be in danger. Otherwise its just randoms meaningless dying each scene.

I did have to laugh at the whole horses coming to the rescue part as well.

The final scene of Mount Doom being created was visually amazing, and I'm looking forward to seeing what the fall out is, particularly as evil takes over the land
Theos friend did die. He was the one that was sacrificed by the old man when he first meets Adar. They cut the footage before he was 'killed' but it was clear that he was a goner.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout

How is this bad writing?
There's plenty of examples this season of fantastic dialogue. Honestly at this point I think it's a good thing that people are complaining about the dialogue and writing because it means they've done a really good job with everything else so they're falling back on the vague things to moan at. Personally I can accept the writing has been up and down this season but the dialogue's not been an issue.

Coxy

Had a busy weekend but caught up on the latest episode Saturday night.

Still felt underwhelmed. basically a battle by a village is how the Numerion army arrives? (to save a few peasants...) Compare that to Helm's Deep, battle of pelennor fields etc - just so small scale.

Good episode but as I've said before on here - still could (and should with the money) be so much more epic, like the films.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Had a busy weekend but caught up on the latest episode Saturday night.

Still felt underwhelmed. basically a battle by a village is how the Numerion army arrives? (to save a few peasants...) Compare that to Helm's Deep, battle of pelennor fields etc - just so small scale.

Good episode but as I've said before on here - still could (and should with the money) be so much more epic, like the films.
It wouldn't make sense for it to be "more" epic this early on. There's 5 seasons of it, pretty sure there'll be more than one massive feck off battle.
Theos friend did die. He was the one that was sacrificed by the old man when he first meets Adar. They cut the footage before he was 'killed' but it was clear that he was a goner.
Yeah nice try @Dargonk find another kid to kill

cafecillos

Nerds melting down is a guilty pleasure of mine, so the show is very much worth it if only because of it.

More seriously, the show has quite a few flaws and there's plenty of fair criticism to level at it, but it's difficult to imagine that someone claiming it's shit doesn't have an agenda against it. I didn't get the fierce criticism of the dialogues either, I thought they were actually fairly good, with obvious ups and downs, but decent enough, but I'm not a native English speaker and I just thought I must have been missing something really bad about them.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Nerds melting down is a guilty pleasure of mine, so the show is very much worth it if only because of it.

More seriously, the show has quite a few flaws and there's plenty of fair criticism to level at it, but it's difficult to imagine that someone claiming it's shit doesn't have an agenda against it. I didn't get the fierce criticism of the dialogues either, I thought they were actually fairly good, with obvious ups and downs, but decent enough, but I'm not a native English speaker and I just thought I must have been missing something really bad about them.
The only thing you're missing is the desire of people on the internet to hate stuff. The dialogue is fine, with ups and downs as you said. Adar in general has had some very solid dialogue for example.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
The only dialogue I've struggled with is the elf in the Southlands. I cannot understand what he's saying sometimes.

Spoony

The People's President
The only thing you're missing is the desire of people on the internet to hate stuff. The dialogue is fine, with ups and downs as you said. Adar in general has had some very solid dialogue for example.

Not just people on the internet but fans of Tolkien. Some of the stuff levelled at this series has been utterly bizarre.

glazed

The only thing you're missing is the desire of people on the internet to hate stuff. The dialogue is fine...
“One cannot satisfy thirst by drinking seawater” has to be the worst line on any TV show this year. I actually quite like fan-fiction Galadriel, but that was a clunker to end them all.

This guy posted a proper takedown review of the episode, with the main takeaway that Adar appears to be by far the most sympathetic and engaging character.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikka...-can-save-this-dumpster-fire/?sh=f1ac5184988f

Last edited:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
“One cannot satisfy thirst by drinking seawater” has to be the worst line on any TV show this year. I actually quite like fan-fiction Galadriel, but that was a clunker to end them all.

This guy posted a proper takedown review of the episode, with the main takeaway that Adar appears to be by far the most sympathetic and engaging character.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikka...-can-save-this-dumpster-fire/?sh=f1ac5184988f
This is such a sick burn that Galadriel forgets promising to kill him last literally ten second ago and says: “Perhaps I shall begin by killing you, you slivering—”
Forgot about this bit. Did find it quite jarring that she suddenly went from "I'll kill you last" to "I'll kill you right now". Still making her character incredibly petulant. Also weird how she got all genocidal about the orcs after calling them slaves.

mu4c_20le

I haven't really read any of the criticism on the internet, but some (most?) of the dialogue sounds like they were written by a playwright.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
I mean you can read the whole of LOTR and never have to worry about it. Rings of power s01e06 is a bit more of a tricky customer to make sense of. It's almost like the writers don't really care'about the coherence and just want emoting and spectacle.
Sure. I can read that without any sense of continuity and never have to worry about anything. It still kinda erase the logical purpose of a place where all characters are leaving in, but yes, no big deal.

Just to be clear there's absolutely nothing against you in my posts. On a contrary, I borrowed your complex approach and attached it to book and now it gained new dimension. So the earth was flat, then it was round, then it goes back to flat, perhaps the logical explantion for that would be Eru's plan to confuse Sauron's eye coordinates when invading the free lands through simple illusion which only Elves could see through... I'm reaching, but it still sounds more believable than flat disk collapsing into ball as that could even exterminate immortals in Valinor.

About Rings of Power 6th episode, just to quote RedCaf's finest @John_Jensen - 'braindead horseshit for morons. A child would be embarrassed by the inept wiritng'. If I attach your complexity to it, it really looks like that. In fact even 2001 Space Odyssey would look like bunch of incoherent pile of new age wank.

Coxy

It wouldn't make sense for it to be "more" epic this early on. There's 5 seasons of it, pretty sure there'll be more than one massive feck off battle.
Remember the grand speech the Queen regent gave about leaving Numenoir to go and save the 'Southlands'? Turned out all they had was 3 ships - and in the end they only had to save 1 village anyway. That's all I mean about being 'epic' - I was hoping for more considering this was Numenoir. 'Epic' was when we saw Numenoir for the first time - it was amazing.

cafecillos

Yes, some of the dialogues sound awkward and archaic, and when they try to be poetic/literary they are more often than not a bit cringeworthy, but then again, most poetry can sound so if the reader wants it to, and this is hardly highbrow literature, it's a fecking Amazon tv product. Expecting flawless literature from it is a bit silly, tbf.