Television The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
I'm sticking with it as I'm living in hope season 2 will correct the many wrongs in season 1.

I know there's no hope for the remaining episodes this season but episode 6 of anything was there worst yet.

More absolutely awful dialogue nonsense about finding the light.

The battle was rubbish and Galadriel gets more laughable every scene with her no we need him alive only to try and kill him two seconds later.

They have completely made a pig's ear out of it and as I say I'm not going to deny it and pretend it's good but just admit it and hope they get it right next time around
I thinks it’s been very good …..Tonight’s was best episode so far

Reditus

Why do we need to spoiler stuff. Surely anyone coming it not the thread has seen the most recent episode?

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Why do we need to spoiler stuff. Surely anyone coming it not the thread has seen the most recent episode?
Yeah since the series obviously don't follow the cannon no one actually knows what's going to happen.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
He’s rocking that role. Other than everyone’s favorites Elrond and lil’ Durin, and Elendil for me, he’s the one I want all the screen time with. Like someone else said a ways back, it’s neat that he’s had multiple cool roles in big fantasy series.

There is another actor that sort of has done the same here within LOTR stuff but he’s much harder to spot, so I’ll let you guess if you don’t know already...
Jason Hood ! :lol: Confession - took me a bit. Chap doesn't even look like aging, can he play as striker ?

Gotta feeling the bearded traveler from the stars will surprise the folks with fervor of needing spell caster in the mix on top of good acting.

Elendil looks Numenorian to the core. He just need that long cloak and it's exactly how many imagined him before the show.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Okay, that was way better, finally! No hobbits is also a huge bonus.

Still some sketchy moments (the timing of the chase didn't make any sense — how did Halbrand get up front, where was Galadriel for like 2 minutes after he kicked Adar off the horse, how did the mighty Galadriel didn't check what this supposed object of the utmost importance before giving it up...), but overall it was a very good episode.

It really looks like Halbrand is Sauron, playing a long game and getting onto the good side of Galadriel & Numenor. Too many hints of his past tensions with Adar of which the latter doesn't seem to be aware of, plus the entirely unconvincing story of Adar murdering Sauron (he probably believes it though).

Sylar

That Episode was great fun to watch

So many people seemingly are held back from enjoying due to expectations they had beforehand. Or not realising that this is a different form of what they've read and things will be changed

I haven't read a single thing except the Hobbit a long long time ago (and can't remember it that much anyway)

But it takes a lot to watch that and not enjoy it as a spectacle of a TV show episode

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Brilliant episode. Was not expecting Mount Doom at this point so that was a nice surprise.

The production is so good for a TV series.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Among the best TV episodes you'll ever see. Everything building up to this episode was class, and the episode did not disappoint one bit

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
phoar what an episode. The foreshadowing for future events too. Beautiful.

Loved the payoff with the Orc Tunnels, got to laugh at all those people moaning about how stupid they were.

Spoony

The People's President
Great episode. Halbrand's an interesting one. He's either the guv'nor or his general. But yeah stunning stuff, movie like TV.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
What ridiculously high-quality TV. Can't believe anyone doesn't like that. Cripes, go watch some shows from the 80's and 90's.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Jason Hood ! :lol: Confession - took me a bit. Chap doesn't even look like aging, can he play as striker ?

Gotta feeling the bearded traveler from the stars will surprise the folks with fervor of needing spell caster in the mix on top of good acting.

Elendil looks Numenorian to the core. He just need that long cloak and it's exactly how many imagined him before the show.
Nice catch, but I was actually referring to the one guy that’s been in all the LOTR/Hobbit live movies/shows. He’s playing an orc most recently: Jed Brophy.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
This episode was 2 episodes too late. But finally the wheels are in motion, went onto some other sources to read some feedback and people still complain.

I really like the scenes with Isildur and his father. There are a number of relationships which if developed well the show can hang it's hat one. Galadriel and Halbrand, Durin and Elrond.

It's the fluff around it brings the show down such as Isildurs friends. Arondir is great, I started to feel something for Bronwyn this episode with what was at stake but it still feels a bit forced. Theo however finally got his acting chops to show. Lets hope the season can give the Harfoots some heart.

Reditus

Did anyone like me grow up in the 80’s and 90’s with about 6 tv stations, starved for stuff to watch? Do you ever think now how lucky we are to have these shows like lotr , house of the dragon and Andor. All on in the same week?

Then you see fools do nothing but complain. It does not compute with me.

Sylar

This episode was 2 episodes too late. But finally the wheels are in motion, went onto some other sources to read some feedback and people still complain.
:lol:
That kinda made me laugh

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I really like it and at the same time I don't feel anything or any connection for any character... Probably my biggest complaint about it. Wouldn't give a feck if any of them got killed or whatever. Hell, the Dahmer show does a better job at building sympathy for a split second as fecked as it is

roseguy64

Okay, that was way better, finally! No hobbits is also a huge bonus.

Still some sketchy moments (the timing of the chase didn't make any sense — how did Halbrand get up front, where was Galadriel for like 2 minutes after he kicked Adar off the horse, how did the mighty Galadriel didn't check what this supposed object of the utmost importance before giving it up...), but overall it was a very good episode.

It really looks like Halbrand is Sauron, playing a long game and getting onto the good side of Galadriel & Numenor. Too many hints of his past tensions with Adar of which the latter doesn't seem to be aware of, plus the entirely unconvincing story of Adar murdering Sauron (he probably believes it though).
Yeah, agree with pretty much all of this.

Best episode so far.

Zippy20

Supports
Hertha BSC
I feel like episode 6 could be one for people, who prefer visuals over story development (nothing wrong with that, i enjoyed watching it, too).
I thought, the action scenes involving Arondir and Galadriel's horse chase were almost comically bad, though, that's one thing the show has in common with the Hobbit trilogy at least.
The last 10 to 20 minutes were literally the only part that moved the story forward in a meaningful way and as others have pointed out, it's really hard to feel anything for any character in this show - plot armour doesn't help.
I actually missed the hobbits and the dwarves, they are my favorite storylines so far, probably because there are actually some interesting, three-dimensional characters in there.

Episode 4 and 5 for me were and still are the strongest so far, hope the season finale will have some big stuff happening and they didn't waste all the visuals on episode 6.

Spoony

The People's President
I feel like episode 6 could be one for people, who prefer visuals over story development (nothing wrong with that, i enjoyed watching it, too).
I thought, the action scenes involving Arondir and Galadriel's horse chase were almost comically bad, though, that's one thing the show has in common with the Hobbit trilogy at least.
The last 10 to 20 minutes were literally the only part that moved the story forward in a meaningful way and as others have pointed out, it's really hard to feel anything for any character in this show - plot armour doesn't help.
I actually missed the hobbits and the dwarves, they are my favorite storylines so far, probably because there are actually some interesting, three-dimensional characters in there.

Episode 4 and 5 for me were and still are the strongest so far, hope the season finale will have some big stuff happening and they didn't waste all the visuals on episode 6.
Which is why the scenes with Galadriel, Adar and Halbrand helped in ep 6. I liked the eps you mentioned and I don't like too much action in films and TV but the last episode was truly spectacular.

Last edited:

NoLogo

Well, finally something is happening.

The only thing is already annoying me is that everyone will just take the pyroclastic flow from the volcanic eruption to his face and not die. Which given that it's about a 1000 °C hot, a bit hard to excuse, even for a fantasy film.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
I'd have still preferred they make a longer version of LotR. I'm hoping someone makes an anime version someday that is as word for word as possible. Make it 7 seasons, who cares? It would slay.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Nice catch, but I was actually referring to the one guy that’s been in all the LOTR/Hobbit live movies/shows. He’s playing an orc most recently: Jed Brophy.
Oh snap, he's also Nori from Hobbit too ? This is great.

Next episode think I'm gonna watch on a freeze frame when any new actors pop on the screen.

dinostar77

Saw latest epsiode, still think this show is meh. Some stupid plot holes in yesterdays epsiode.
When Arondir says to bronwyn that he needs to hide the sword hilt and noone can know where it is, how does theo know where it is hidden?

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Saw latest epsiode, still think this show is meh. Some stupid plot holes in yesterdays epsiode.
When Arondir says to bronwyn that he needs to hide the sword hilt and noone can know where it is, how does theo know where it is hidden?
It was certainly an odd moment, I also didn't get that.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
If I remember right Theo was watching him leave to hide the hilt, I just assumed he followed him. Wasn't explained at all within the episode though.

SuperiorXI

The latest episode was pretty good, but still some silly moments in it.

I think the Galadriel character is really poorly written, she is like a stroppy teenager with OP skills, jarring to watch. And yeah stupid how she tries to save the bad guy one minute then is threatening to kill him the next.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
That was awesome. For me that’s the best episode between LOTR or GOT. Just so much happening and some brilliant development.

mu4c_20le

My only gripe with the episode was that the battle at the tower was pretty underwhelming. There was barely any tension or build up, and no, the woman giving speeches as if she was in a play doesn't really count. Even when the Numenorians arrived it was like....oh.

And the slow motion stuff was way overused.

Godfather

They completely fail to build danger or tension up. Hours and hours of cringey dialogoue instead of giving any sense of a looming danger. Real shame as the orcs are really well made but it's all so hasty when it comes to the real action or the fear people must feel.