The Make A Fecking Sub Ole Thread

arnie_ni

In game management it possibly the worst of any manager I can remember

::sonny::

Always too late, at least 20/25 min, he is literally sleeping during every game

Nick7

He could surely see we weren’t doing much in the second half and had the opportunity to change it.

Acole9

Outstanding
His fannying around with substitutions is becoming a real problem.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
He got it wrong in my opinion, bringing Martial on for McTominay and switching Pogba to the middle. Not only is Martial on a bad run of form, Pogba cannot be trusted in a midfield two. I'm beginning to get annoyed at him ignoring VDB.

Devil may care

It was really frustrating today, Ole needs to start trusting Van de Beek and Mason, I mean Rashford and Bruno weren't doing anything but it took until the 80th minute to get one of them on.

Hughie77

Perhaps ole should have brought J Fulton on he came on in 74mins scored on 74 mins. Now that's a sub. Ahh he plays for Swansea City.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Interesting stat on the sky coverage. The PL team with the most goals scored by subs. Manchester United.
5 goals, right? Cavani banged a few in I think. He's a good impact sub, but we need him starting games.

Mickson

5 goals, right? Cavani banged a few in I think. He's a good impact sub, but we need him starting games.
Rashford, Greenwood, and Bruno as well maybe? We have scored a lot of goals from our subs, but that's mainly regulars who have been rested.. when he hasn't started Bruno or Rashford and they have come on to score.

passing-wind

The reason why Solskjaer doesn't make subs is because we are never in a comfortable position of controlling games. We struggle to build consecutive goals because the performances are shambolic. You can segment it even more down to coaching with off ball movement, shapes etc but it's natural that a manager when in a more positive position via the game will throw people on to rest others and give the squad minutes.

Unless performances pick up it will be much of the same and the only way players will be introduced is through injury.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
What did Pogba do badly now there ?
I thought he was more of a threat out left and McTominay was doing a better job in midfield. Oh well.

This game just feels like a missed opportunity to get back on track. We had chances to win.

R'hllor

Amount of goals scored by subs have context and have nothing to do with issues some have when it comes to timings of those or lack of. For example: this whole place screaming for Fred to be subbed, people could see trouble coming miles away or when everyone can see shit aint going our way, awful performance on the pitch and he just keep dragging, holding till around 88th minute or so.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I thought he was more of a threat out left and McTominay was doing a better job in midfield. Oh well.

This game just feels like a missed opportunity to get back on track. We had chances to win.
I would agree with the first part but not really for the 2nd part. I too, prefered to see him closer to the box.

Mindhunter

The reason why Solskjaer doesn't make subs is because we are never in a comfortable position of controlling games. We struggle to build consecutive goals because the performances are shambolic. You can segment it even more down to coaching with off ball movement, shapes etc but it's natural that a manager when in a more positive position via the game will throw people on to rest others and give the squad minutes.

Unless performances pick up it will be much of the same and the only way players will be introduced is through injury.
No, he makes subs but only when we can bring on a match winner. He doesn't believe in brining in a "new" player just to change things up and giving the opponent a new problem to solve.

His belief is that we have a better chance to score late goals if all his star players are on the pitch, irrespective of whether or not they are having a good day.

Foxbatt

No, he makes subs but only when we can bring on a match winner. He doesn't believe in brining in a "new" player just to change things up and giving the opponent a new problem to solve.

His belief is that we have a better chance to score late goals if all his star players are on the pitch, irrespective of whether or not they are having a good day.
When things are not working out or when the opposition has got the momentum is when you need to bring on subs. Or change the formation we play. This was why Fellaini was so important. If nothing works throw him up front and he causes problems for the opposition. He may not score but if his team mates are alert they can always pick up the second ball and score. We missed many tricks against Sheffield United. If teams don't give us space behind their defense, bring on another CB and push Maguire into their box later in the game. Not in the last two minutes but give them an opportunity to get back into the game. If we lose against West Ham sack Ole will come an issue again. I hope he gets things sorted out for the next match.

UmbroDays

Today we saw what reading the game and making timely substitutions can do.

Milner was livid/questioning and approached Jurgen on the sideline for an explanation - and a few minutes later Salah pops one in.

I think Ole needs to be more ruthless and make a change no matter what he thinks players may feel.

croadyman

I just cannot see any way that Ole is going to start making proactive substitutions after he has numerous opportunities to do it and hasn't really taken any of them at all

OrcaFat

I just cannot see any way that Ole is going to start making proactive substitutions after he has numerous opportunities to do it and hasn't really taken any of them at all
Well, I don’t think that’s entirely accurate, even if it feels that way sometimes. He’s subbed successfully fairly often. Ole is not especially late at bringing on subs, statistically. Probably he’s not making the subs you want to see when you want to see them, but it’s not the same as saying he doesn’t make subs.

When you look at the resources and the workload, it is a fine balancing act to rest the players and get results. You can often make a case for this sub or that (like you can argue with the starting selection) but, all things considered, I don’t see a strong case for subbing earlier or more often.

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
Interesting thread on r/soccer disproving the complaint that Ole is slow to make substitutions

- Median time for first sub is 64th minute, Ole has an average first change time of 62nd minute.

- 13 teams are slower than United on average to make substitutions.
I dont think its about not making subs. Its about not making subs when its needed. ie, when things need changed up and he just sits there doing nothing until around the 80 minutes mark. Hes quick to pull people off when we are winning oddly enough. The most glaring was a game in which lingard was getting a rare start and actually playing really well. Ole hooked him relatively early.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Rashford was pretty appalling most of the game, why didn’t he get martial on for 10 minutes at least at the end.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
I don't understand why Rashford has to stay on. Should have been off much sooner with Martial coming on!

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
That substitution late on was daft.
Everytime we've had 5 defenders on the field our defense has gone to shit.

If greenwood wasn't subbed he would have most likely taken the ball to the corner flag. If you check the replay, right before the free kick AWB had the ball and his pass to cavani got intercepted which led to the free kick. The whole game AWB was passing to greenwood.

stw2022

Said it in the reaction thread but it’s noticeable now how little influence the manager has on the game after the first whistle. The contrast was there tonight as most weeks, opposition manager in his technical area, instructing, influencing, changing. Ole? Looking like he was thinking what was for tea.

I know that isn’t what he was thinking but his complete inertia from first whistle to last I think is a problem. He doesn’t always need to rant and rave but the guy may as well get in a cab and go home as soon as the pre-match team talk is done because there’s almost literally no point to him being there once the match has started.