The Missing Martial thread

redIndianDevil

firstly martial is not a world class talent, talented yes, but very inconsistent..

As for the de bruyne and salah statement being banded around as a stick to beat mourinho with, is somewhat unfair, as it's only since pep came in the be bruyne has really stood out, in germany he was good let's say six out of 10, and now hes more of an 8 out of 10 consistently, now at an age of 25/26.

Salah on the other hand was consistent at roma, but truly, freakishly outstanding last season.

The fact the chelsea went on to win titles, is testament that for both parties the club and player the best decsion was made, for the club a transfer fee, and for the player an abilty to continue his development in football.

is it not funny that both salah and de bruyne are around the same age, and 25/26, and are really blossoming, but people complain about why jose's goes for players around 25 plus
Problem is not all 25+ players are going to click and they are going to be hella lot costlier and every club should look to develop their younger players, Chelsea won titles sure but imagine a front line of Lukaku, Salah, Hazard and De Bruyne, now that would have been a legendary team in the PL(under any decent manager).

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
There’s a difference between constructive criticism when it is due and continuous mindless complaining. You are one of the main instigators of the latter at this place.
I don't post nearly enough to be one of the main instigators of Mourinho's job at United here, not to mention you can't throw a stick around here without landing on a post with criticism of him. You can call it mindless complaining all you want, the substance is there and the proof is in the pudding. If you want to be in denial about it, that's your perogative. Also, constructive criticism only serves when someone is willing to listen, Mourinho won't change and, better yet, doesn't read these forums.

Last edited:

Janson

Problem is not all 25+ players are going to click and they are going to be hella lot costlier and every club should look to develop their younger players, Chelsea won titles sure but imagine a front line of Lukaku, Salah, Hazard and De Bruyne, now that would have been a legendary team in the PL(under any decent manager).
Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

redIndianDevil

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
I agree, hindsight is always 20/20 for me. But a world class manager earning millions should be capable of gauging a player, Mourinho has always been about the shortest of short term, it's fine if your club has world class players or the capability of outspending everyone in the league but we are not.

LFCFAN

Supports
Liverpool
firstly martial is not a world class talent, talented yes, but very inconsistent..

As for the de bruyne and salah statement being banded around as a stick to beat mourinho with, is somewhat unfair, as it's only since pep came in the be bruyne has really stood out, in germany he was good let's say six out of 10, and now hes more of an 8 out of 10 consistently, now at an age of 25/26.

Salah on the other hand was consistent at roma, but truly, freakishly outstanding last season.

The fact the chelsea went on to win titles, is testament that for both parties the club and player the best decsion was made, for the club a transfer fee, and for the player an abilty to continue his development in football.

is it not funny that both salah and de bruyne are around the same age, and 25/26, and are really blossoming, but people complain about why jose's goes for players around 25 plus
De Bruyne was arguably the best player in the Bundesliga during his time at Wolfsburg so to suggest he was a 6/10 player at that time is bollocks.

Listar

That front 3 didn't win Belgium the world cup did they?

jungledrums

God this is a fecking shit thread. Here I came for info on why Martial missed the previous game; how naive of me to believe this thread would contain such info.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Does this mean you acknowledge that he's been unfairly treated so far by undeservedly being on the fringe in the past?
Not in the slightest. He has got as much play time a super stars his age at other major clubs bar City where they have been competing witg more experienced and world class players for numbers. This time he will find it real hard to even make squads and it will be all his own doing

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
He rightfully and correctly didn't travel with the squad. This time he will deservedly be on the fringes and it will all be his fault.
I agree. On top, Jose stressed several times that he expects his players to be super fit. As he didnt train for a week or so, it was clear that he's not in Jose's squad

redpatron

I like your suggestion. Morata can play RW, can he?
I seen him play a lot on the left side for real

Morata's numbers as a sub were even better than Martial's numbers as a sub. Straight swap would make sense with that in mind.
I’m ok with this. We can rotate 4 players in the #9 role and Morata can be an excellent plan b option. If we move to a two striker formation, he’s pretty dangerous as the set up man since he’s got the ability to hold the ball and excellent first touch. Playing a diamond is dated, but it would put a band aid on the lack of width we currently have.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
If he wasn't going to start the game there was no point him traveling. He's surely better off trying to restart his preseason. He had about ten days training, then ten days off, why assume he was ready to start last night?

As to traveling to sit on the bench. What would be the point?

OoopsMisclick

People really think that youngsters (lukaku, de bruyne, salah,...) develop like in FM.
For every lukaku, de bruyne and salah, you have 20+ others that failed.

Fair fecks to KDB, Salah et al for developping the way they did. I have a lot of respect for people who decide to leave their golden cage and take a risk.
Saying that the next manager would have developed them better, is utter bullshit. Sometimes players just need a new environment to thrive.

Coming from my own experience, I needed a change of environment at work to really start performing and developing.

sal klita

People really think that youngsters (lukaku, de bruyne, salah,...) develop like in FM.
For every lukaku, de bruyne and salah, you have 20+ others that failed.

Fair fecks to KDB, Salah et al for developping the way they did. I have a lot of respect for people who decide to leave their golden cage and take a risk.
Saying that the next manager would have developed them better, is utter bullshit. Sometimes players just need a new environment to thrive.

Coming from my own experience, I needed a change of environment at work to really start performing and developing.
You are right. They need to change of environment to one where manager will prefer young Carvajal on right back position and not old Essien.

Smores

Not too bad if true, probably want to get him up to speed as soon as possible for Leicester.

I'd like to see him up front if Lukaku isn't available (queue english pundits saying Jose is ruining Rashford).

Janson

I agree, hindsight is always 20/20 for me. But a world class manager earning millions should be capable of gauging a player, Mourinho has always been about the shortest of short term, it's fine if your club has world class players or the capability of outspending everyone in the league but we are not.
If that were true, then he wouldn't be giving young players chances, as he is doing at Utd.

NoLogo

It’s 4-3-3!!
I think they played a variety of formations under Zidane from 4-4-2 to 4-4-2 diamond to a 4-3-3, when it came to formations they always seemed very felxible and adjusted to the personal that was on the field, like playing with an AMC if Isco was starting and with a flat 4 if only 2 of the Casemiero, Modric & Kroos trinity was playing. If they wanted to play Bale, Benz and CR together they went with the 4-3-3. So depending on who was starting their line up would change.

arnie_ni

God this is a fecking shit thread. Here I came for info on why Martial missed the previous game; how naive of me to believe this thread would contain such info.
Because jose spat the dummy out after martial didnt communicate he wouldn't come back when agreed after his gf had a complication during the pregnancy is how it appears but im sure there is something else to it

redIndianDevil

I don't think it has ever been likely for him to leave this window, United would need a replacement PLUS the RW they are trying to get.
I don't think we need a replacement for Martial, for the LW spot Rashford and Sanchez have it covered, striker is obviously Lukaku(even if he is injured Rashford will get the preference for that position over Martial)

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Jesus having a child is more important than your job. Taking a few days to be with the mother and child should be praised not chastised. Good lord.