The Missing Martial thread

Yellow Black & Red

Supports
Watford
If he leaves then it would make very little sense in him going to Chelsea - they already have Hazard and Hudson-Odoi playing in exactly the same role that he prefers. They also aren't in the CL this season and I suspect will find it tough to get back there again for the next one (and if Hazard ends up leaving then it would be even more difficult).

ash_86

Januzaj was incredibly promising but he was nowhere near as prolific in his first season as Martial was. He seemingly didn't get on with his manager either and then he made some bad decisions which exacerbated the situation, he seems to be somewhat back on track now. I don't subscrive to the idea that Martial has stopped developing though.
Problem being the same. Januzaj was very good on his season under Moyes. Then Van Gal came on and changed his position and hence problem with the manager and finally resulted in him leaving. Under a different manager he could have been amazing for us but we'll never know. Unless the manager doesn't play him all, it's in the hands of the player to give the manager what he likes.

Member 5225

Sorry don't quite understand your post. Are you suggesting that people who dislike Mourinho's methods care less about United than the ones who support him?
Why do you think fans that are annoyed and frustrated with Martial’s antics, Jose fanboys....perhaps they are only looking out for the club.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
I'm still hoping for Martial to hold onto 1 more season even if it'll suck for him(yeah the selfish side of me want United to keep a talented player even if he has to have another shitty season rather than see him fulfill his vast potential elsewhere) because I'm sure Mourinho won't make it past this season.

The pressure is way to high and the task is harder them it's even been before. All the excuses as to tolerate our lack of success and good football the past 2 years won't apply anymore this year, or at least people won't just buy it that easily.

This season the minimum expected is a title challenge or the league itself which will be harder to accomplish this year then the last 2. Mourinho failing to meet these requirement will only spell trouble. Even if the board remain spineless and undecisive, Mourinho himself will be likely to have a serious meltdown. It's likely his rivals will outperform him this season again.

Member 5225

Problem being the same. Januzaj was very good on his season under Moyes. Then Van Gal came on and changed his position and hence problem with the manager and finally resulted in him leaving. Under a different manager he could have been amazing for us but we'll never know. Unless the manager doesn't play him all, it's in the hands of the player to give the manager what he likes.
Martial was involved in 30 PL games last season!

Kostov

Feck this shit, sell the guy and be done with it. Or better let's all follow that brilliant idea, of swapping Martial for Willian, I'm sure that will be a brilliant piece of business.

Quizierda

Yeah, let's swap Martial for Willian and while we are at it why we don't just ask Madrid to re-open the DDG-Navas swap talks...

Would be one of the stupiest deals ever - but hey, with Mou nothing is impossible!

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Feck this shit, sell the guy and be done with it. Or better let's all follow that brilliant idea, of swapping Martial for Willian, I'm sure that will be a brilliant piece of business.
Only if Willian goes on to become POTY and win us the league... I'd rather to sell or swap Martial with clubs abroad tbh..

Olril18

Yes because Lukaku who is constantly made to be a leader, a team player would actively try to bypass anpther player soon as he comes in. If anything the activity matches José's personalities than Lukaku - but yes whatever Jose is an angel & does no wrong.

It's just a number :rolleyes:
Not saying Jose is an angel, but Martial needs to take responsibility for some these things.
it's only this club that a player can play badly because he got some personal problems with his private life and fans still sang his praises despite not playing good during this period.
That sort of mediocrity will never be allowed in Madrid, while I'm trying to understand you, we have to stop putting everything on the manager.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Mourino has managed to convince a fanbase(well at least a part of it) that has emphemsized and held history long belief on youth and attacking football that :

- youth isn't as important and has them all willing to swap a talented 22 year old for a soon to be 30 year old Chelsea player.

- made them extremely impatient with young players and are giddy seeing them replaced by these 30 year old players.

- attacking football and winning are mutually exclusive and it has to be either or.

- workhorses, huffing and puffing over actual footballing skills and talent.

- after spending north of 300 millions, he has convinced them that he hasn't had the backing of the board(despite players like Pogba, Lukaku, Zlatan, Mkhitaryan, Sanchez, Matic, etc coming in).

- it is normal to be knocked out by Sevilla in the CL

- being out of the title race by christmass in his 2 season running should have been expected but instead has worked miracles to even still be in a top 4 race.

I can go on and on but I'm sure I've gisted the point I'm trying to make.

Like I said the man knows his craft. He'd do well as a politician. His ability to convince the mass with utter bs has to be commanded.

Last edited:

Mainoldo

Mourino has managed to convince a fanbase(well at least a part of it) that has emphemsize and held history long belief on youth and attacking football that :

- youth isn't as important and has them all willing to swap a talented 22 year old for a soon to be 30 year old Chelsea player.

- made them extremely impatient with young players and are giddy seeing them replaced by these 30 year old players.

- attacking football and winning are mutually exclusive and it has to be either or.

- after spending north of 300 millions, he has convinced them that he hasn't had the backing of the board(despite players like Pogba, Lukaku, Zlatan, Mkhitaryan, Sanchez, Matic, etc coming in).

- being out of the title race by christmass in his 2 season running should have been expected but instead has worked miracles to even still be in a top 4 race.

Like I said the man knows his craft. He'd do well as a politician. His ability to convince the mass with utter bs has to be commanded.
When he final leaves I suggest you re-post this so those who are currently under his trans understand what we have been trying to tell them for the past few months.

They will tell you it was just all about Martial F.C.

JohnnyLaw

I didn't agree with Januzaj being marginalized in his second season with us either. But Martial contributes far more compared to what Januzaj did for us back then and is capable of playing a far bigger role. Last season in the squad role he was given he scored and assisted exactly the amount Alexis Sanchez also managed, a player who started basically every game he was involved in. One is given every chance to play themselves into form whilst one isn't.

Fosu-Mens

Exactly. And 25 PL appearance before that. That's 55 PL appearances!!
Martial
16/17 in Premier league: 4 goals, 6 assists in 1500 minutes.
17/18 in premier league: 9 goals, 5 assists in 1600 minutes.

In a team that does not focus on attacking. It is a better output(goals and assists) per minute compared to Rashford and Lukaku last season.

Regarding him staying or not:
If the board wants to stand behind Jose and Mourinho wants Willian and not Martial, then swap them.
If the board is unsure about Mourinho and wants change in management after this season, keep Martial.

ash_86

I didn't agree with Januzaj being marginalized in his second season with us either. But Martial contributes far more compared to what Januzaj did for us back then and is capable of playing a far bigger role. Last season in the squad role he was given he scored and assisted exactly the amount Alexis Sanchez also managed, a player who started basically every game he was involved in. One is given every chance to play themselves into form whilst one isn't.
Isn't Martial a season and half ahead of Alexis at our club? Also, we all know what Alexis bring to the table. We already saw it against city and spurs last season and also it in the pre season.

Olril18

Mourino has managed to convince a fanbase(well at least a part of it) that has emphemsized and held history long belief on youth and attacking football that :

Not a mourinho lover but if he is as horrible as you described, he wouldn't have won all those trophies.
Martial is a 22 year old man, at this stage, he needs to start taking some responsibilities for his action,rather than deflecting it in to others.
you don't need to bash mourinho before you speak your mind on Martial,maybe mourinho could have done better with Martial, but it's lazy to put everything down on the manager.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Isn't Martial a season and half ahead of Alexis at our club? Also, we all know what Alexis bring to the table. We already saw it against city and spurs last season and also it in the pre season.
Still talking rubbish I see.

Greck

Think some people need to take a holiday from Martial threads. Everytime I pop in here or the Pogba threads it's loaded with people buying into the never ending speculation that their departures are imminent. I'm sure the press enjoy the bump in clicks everytime they run that story

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
What exactly do you mean by this?

At 19 years of age he was the main driving force for anything positive in his very first season with us, ending up our top scorer and playing a major part in winning us the FA cup for the first time in 12 years.
To say he's achieved nothing in his brief spell with us is frankly bull.
Martial has achieved nothing of note whilst being a United player, not for club nor country. He had a good first season at the club, granted, beyond that his contributions have been minimal and his performances sporadic.

What has he offered in terms of progression, attitude and overall ability to suggest that he is not just another player who failed to realise his huge potential?

If it turns out that he is just another Nani, Januzaj, Anderson, Morrison or Macheda, would anyone really be surprised?

ash_86

Martial
16/17 in Premier league: 4 goals, 6 assists in 1500 minutes.
17/18 in premier league: 9 goals, 5 assists in 1600 minutes.

In a team that does not focus on attacking. It is a better output(goals and assists) per minute compared to Rashford and Lukaku last season.
How many when he's started though?

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Martial has achieved nothing of note whilst being a United player, not for club nor country. He had a good first season at the club, granted, beyond that his contributions have been minimal and his performances sporadic.

What has he offered in terms of progression, attitude and overall ability to suggest that he is not just another player who failed to realise his huge potential?

If it turns out that he is just another Nani, Januzaj, Anderson, Morrison or Macheda, would anyone really be surprised?
What has Mourinho achieved at United beside creating a toxic environment and falling out with his players including some whom his bought himself.

Yet you'd probably be here defending the man and the utter drivels he spouts.

KW2006

Can't agree more. Ive been a Mourinho advocator since he joined our club. But enough is enough.

I won't go as far as saying hes "mis-treated" Martial, Rashford and Pogba, but what is obvious is he, as the manager, while spending more than 300m, failed to man-manage our talented young players in a way to get them perform properly. Theres no excuse for him as the manager.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
What has Mourinho achieved at United beside creating a toxic environment and falling out with his players including some whom his bought himself.

Yet you'd probably be here defending the man and the utter drives he spout.
This is not about Mourinho (as much as you would like it to be).

Keep on topic thanks.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!

Yet you'd probably be here defending the man and the utter drivels he spouts.
Why so annoyed that not everyone is a superfan of Martial? For such an intelligent guy, having figured Mourinho out, and pretty much labelled the rest stupid, you should be able to ride above that.

Edit: sorry for going a bit off.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Ah yea true measure of how much a player played, use number of appearances :lol:. You cant make this shit up.
I'm almost sure that I told him how much he actually played and how much he actually contributed. Martial played less than 50% of our PL games and directly contributed to 20% of our goals.

acnumber9

Where has anybody said that? You’re arguing with a figment of your imagination.

ash_86

Supporting United /= Supporting Mourinho. It's you Mourinho cultists who think that's the case.
Like it or not, he's our manager. You don't have to support him, just stop sprouting shit. Also i'm done talking to you. Stop quoting me!

R'hllor

I'm almost sure that I told him how much he actually played and how much he actually contributed. Martial played less than 50% of our PL games and directly contributed to 20% of our goals.
Its waste of time, still cant believe they used appearances to back up JM, thats on Trump worshiper level.

JohnnyLaw

That's including his performances for Arsenal last season. Yes, he can do it but it was far too sporadic. Even in those games he didn't actually perform very well apart from in instances. If Sanchez can't even outperform him in the now, what are we actually gaining from this entire thing.

How is he supposed to progress when his role in the team is continually diminished by the management?

Had he been given the same faith as the likes of Lukaku, Sanchez I'm sure he could've contributed on the level of the very best in his position in the league.

And seriously, Macheda? Have a word with yourself..

Fosu-Mens

And based on assist and goals per minute played in the PL he was our most efficient player. Part of this is inflated by the insane output he had in the first 3/4 games at the start of last season.
Am i correct in assuming that on average people that;
  • Thinks Mourinho is the man for the job are not necessarily the biggest fans of Martial.
  • Do not think that Mourinho is the man for the job, would like Martial to stay in the event of a future managerial change?

R'hllor

Like it or not, he's our manager. You don't have to support him, just stop sprouting shit. Also i'm done talking to you. Stop quoting me!
Now thats rich coming from someone who used number of appearances as measure of player`s game time.