The MLS thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
MLS's transfer and allocation policy is decided by a Magic 8-Ball. The lack of clarity regarding Dempsey's move is ridiculous.

Also, Portland 1-0!

forevrared

Dempsey should have realized that Fulham was his level and stayed there.

12 goals from midfield in his first season at Spurs was hardly a bad haul. He was good enough for what he was there. He could've gone back to Fulham and been great with Berbatov.

jem

12 goals from midfield in his first season at Spurs was hardly a bad haul. He was good enough for what he was there. He could've gone back to Fulham and been great with Berbatov.
Yeah but Spurs were always going to be exploring upgrades, whereas, like you said, he could've struck up a great partnership with Berbatov at Fulham and cemented his status there. Maybe not as glamourous as he would've hoped, but certainly better than playing in the MLS.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
I doubt he'd leave Europe at age 30 but I would presume he'd go to Houston or FC Dallas, if he desires a return near home. Or could end up on a big market club like LAG or NYRB.
Samsonite! I was way off.

Totally shocked by this move. He's still good enough for a number of clubs in Europe. I suppose he wanted to return to MLS and be the "new Beckham" but one that scores goals sans fashion. And $8m per year is very nice too.

forevrared

I think the league was probably more interested in getting him somewhere like Seattle than LA or NY. They'll be hesitant to be seen as a two-team league by outsiders, so why not put the league's biggest star in the most well supported team?

Twisted_Woody

Scout
Was in Portland for the Timbers vs Dallas game. What a great atmosphere. Great match too.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Was in Seattle for the Sounders/Timbers game last night.
Pity the football wasn't up to scratch for the over 67,000 there. That's got to be some record for a regular season single header game.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/20/sports/soccer/mls-lowers-the-volume-on-vulgar-chants.html?_r=0

:lol: While I agree that YSA is hackneyed, the MLS's obsession with sterilizing the environment is beyond stupid. The league finally had devoted supporters but wants to keep the environment similar to when it focused on soccer moms. The first comment on the article is by some mother who doesn't like the "Let him die!" chant the Sounders fans use when one of the opposing players fakes an injury, despite it clearly being tongue-in-cheek. Sanitizing everything will kill fan support.

bigredmachine

Running smooth
I hope not. Up here in the North West, the summers are fantastic times to go for games. Pretty sure the NFL/NBA would eat into MLS' audience during Winter and Early Spring. I think the current schedule is perfect.

brad-dyrak

yeah, me too. The point they made in the clip about viewership was probably about right. Soccer is it's own thing here, and there isn't relatively so much bleedover for viewers of other sports. BUT, airtime on the different networks is finite, and they aren't going to want to give up NFL or NBA airtime for soccer.

Since MLS is still relatively small time on the world stage I don't see all that much harm in us not matching up schedule-wise. I suppose it might make it trickier to ship players in and out with the transfer windows not matching up? Also some team rosters take a beating during the world cups and such. Back in early MLS, DC would lose half their squad during USMNT WC qualifiers.

forevrared

I hope not. Up here in the North West, the summers are fantastic times to go for games. Pretty sure the NFL/NBA would eat into MLS' audience during Winter and Early Spring. I think the current schedule is perfect.

You should try watching a game in Dallas in July.

MrMarcello

I wouldn't be opposed to a switch or if the current calender remains. However, I think the biggest factor is the current end-of-season and playoffs are right in the middle of the NFL/NCAA schedule and MLB playoffs. I believe MLS would rather the season climax be in a month like May with little to interfere. Only true competition would be NBA playoffs and that's a limited base as well (no one cares about NHL and MLB is barely into its season).

I would much rather sacrifice the first half of my calender to the NFL/NCAA and then take the likes of MLB and NBA on in the second half. Less distraction IMO. Half the country follow NFL/NCAA but much less follow the other sports.

We may see FIFA switch calendars if a winter World Cup takes place.

MrMarcello

Next expansion - Orlando?

$85m for a stadium seems rather cheap and very small, low luxury. It is indeed small at 18k seats. Dream big, Orlando, dream big. Beckham would be smarter to buy into this club than dream of another Miami venture (failure).

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-orlando-city-mls-expansion-20131023,0,2352422.story

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/10/22/4570366/funding-approved-for-orlando-downtown.html

Excellent opinion article from The Yanks Are Coming website.
http://www.yanksarecoming.com/mls-wisely-headed-to-orlando-but-south-still-waiting

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Portland ahead 2-0 against Seattle in the first leg. This tie could be over if MLS used away goal rules.

MrMarcello

Dempsey hasn't had the impact I would have expected. Perhaps with some rest he'll take off next spring. FC Dallas had talks with him prior to his signing with Seattle but were put off by his wage demands.

MrMarcello

That tussle at the end was ridiculous.
Di Vaio scratching Ashe's face twice was nasty. I kept thinking, "Is Di Vaio a racist or was there something that had occurred off camera between them? Or perhaps just an isolated incident."

He got a three-game suspension for next season (assuming he stays) and a whopping $1,000 fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.