The MMA thread

Adcuth

Guys, anyone ever tried messaging your favorite fighters on social media ?

Just wondering if it would be a waste of time or if there is a small chance of getting a reply.

Obviously the Mcgregors and Jon Jones of the world would be a long shot, but there are some fighters with less followers who maybe would talk to fans.
Not a favorite fighter or MMA but I had a back and forth spat with Malik Scott when he took a dive against Wilder. Pissed up and pissed off with the fight so gave him shit. Went back and forth a few times

Luke1995

Not a favorite fighter or MMA but I had a back and forth spat with Malik Scott when he took a dive against Wilder. Pissed up and pissed off with the fight so gave him shit. Went back and forth a few times
Interesting. I never tried fighter bashing as i'm aware that any of them could beat me with both hands tied behind their backs. :lol:

Luke1995

Well Felder is sure going to have a great career as a commentattor.

I remember when Brian Stann was doing it and one day he left the job. He was very good. Hoping Felder sticks around for the long term.

Adcuth

Interesting. I never tried fighter bashing as i'm aware that any of them could beat me with both hands tied behind their backs. :lol:
Yeah, I deleted them the next day like. Was just pissed off at such an obvious dive in a fight. Plus we had an ocean between us and I was pissed. Confidence was high for a period :lol:

Luke1995

By the way, just curious as to you guys thoughts on the APEX.

It appears that once the world opens back up, they will stop hosting fights there.

But I think they are much more entertaining.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
I think Max is too technical for him

How different is Yair from Kattar ? I don't see it going much differently

But looking forward to it
Kattar has zero flair. Very technical but nothing out of the ordinary. Good boxing combinations, power, that's it.

Yair is pure flair, completely unorthodox, much better movement. He will attack from range and from all angles, using all type of weapons.

I'm hoping to see an improved Yair as well. After 2 years, he must be a beast now, entering his prime. His wrestling must be on point.

Max has been punched way too much in his head. Someone will capitalize soon.

Can you imagine Yair flattens Max with some head kick or flashy elbow?

The thing I'm 100% certain, it's gonna be a super fun fight. A delight for the fans.

Luke1995

Kattar has zero flair. Very technical but nothing out of the ordinary. Good boxing combinations, power, that's it.

Yair is pure flair, completely unorthodox, much better movement. He will attack from range and from all angles, using all type of weapons.

I'm hoping to see an improved Yair as well. After 2 years, he must be a beast now, entering his prime. His wrestling must be on point.

Max has been punched way too much in his head. Someone will capitalize soon.

Can you imagine Yair flattens Max with some head kick or flashy elbow?

The thing I'm 100% certain, it's gonna be a super fun fight. A delight for the fans.
Yeah that's entirely possible but Max looked better than ever in the last fight man...

It depends entirely if you believe Yair has the perfect style to catch him or not

Also, Yair has a history of pulling out of fights so let's hope that doesn't happen here...

When Yair was set to face Edgar I thought he was going to be a big star. But he caught the last glimpse of prime Frankie...

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I've found Yair annoying every since he kept hugging Korean Zombie during their fight. But that finish was something else.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
So Woodley gonna fight Jake Paul... How low can an ex champion and self-proclaimed GOAT welterweight go?

Luke1995

Woodley's probably gonna win and make more money than he was making in the UFC

Massive risk involved of course but I don't think he's so washed up that he would lose to a Youtuber.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town

Massive risk involved of course but I don't think he's so washed up that he would lose to a Youtuber.
I think the same but many people said the same about Ass Cream. With that said, we all also said he couldn't box his way out of a paper bag so there's that.

Woodley's career seems to have completely fallen off a cliff.
Exactly. Yes, he'll make shit loads of money, but so do high end hookers.

SuperiorXI

This YouTube "fighters" lark is an enormous con to the general public, it's a scam. Why do people fall for it? Imagine you work your socks off risking your mind and body in the lower divisions of boxing/MMA and are seeing these clowns making a mockery of the sport. Joke.

Luke1995

Is the MMA media to blame for the rise in popularity of these types of fights ?

I swear I see more articles in mma websites about Jake Paul than I see mma news...

It's almost like as if these guys who work for these big sites want it to happen.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Is the MMA media to blame for the rise in popularity of these types of fights ?

I swear I see more articles in mma websites about Jake Paul than I see mma news...

It's almost like as if these guys who work for these big sites want it to happen.
Clicks.

RedFish

This YouTube "fighters" lark is an enormous con to the general public, it's a scam. Why do people fall for it? Imagine you work your socks off risking your mind and body in the lower divisions of boxing/MMA and are seeing these clowns making a mockery of the sport. Joke.
In a nutshell. Takes the piss. I don't understand the appeal. Suckers

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout

There aren't many fighters in the UFC who would fair well in a top level amateur boxing bout, let alone make it as pros.

If you know about top level amateur boxing, it's where many who go on to be top level pros refine their already good skills and get that overall polish to their hands you barely see in even the best MMA fighters.

Should be understandable given that's boxers who've been training their art since single digit age, so the gulf in everything in terms of pure hands/movement/boxing is enormous. When it's said that boxing in the UFC is 'amateurish' it's actually way off the mark as it's mostly nowhere near that.

Regarding Woodley, I understand he needs the money, but the potential for him to be humiliated in a boxing ring is abundantly clear.

He's notoriously shot shy, has poor cardio and barrels single shots into takedown attempts, which might be fine in MMA, but is no kind of arsenal for boxing, even at his best, and not this washed up version, he's no kind of boxer and these past-their-best-wrestlers are being hand-picked to elevate Paul's 'status' whilst carrying little threat within a boxing ring.

Add boxing gloves instead of those tiny ouncers and what Woodley relies on becomes even more redundant. Him getting beyond Paul's length with his style, not backed up by shooting will be a few wild bomb attempts before he reverts to type and gets peppered with shots, gassed and hesitant.

I'm saying a lot of words to get to the point this was not a good idea outside the financial reward.

Someone like Cormier with his pitbull way of output, dirty boxing and scrappiness to take a hit to land his own is more like what's needed.

But these MMA fighters taking the bait and agreeing to boxing conditions that severely limit them (when their hands aren't amazing in the first place) to get that quick buck is pretty tragic and is going to get embarrassing if it keeps up.

Oggmonster

There aren't many fighters in the UFC who would fair well in a top level amateur boxing bout, let alone make it as pros.

If you know about top level amateur boxing, it's where many who go on to be top level pros refine their already good skills and get that overall polish to their hands you barely see in even the best MMA fighters.

Should be understandable given that's boxers who've been training their art since single digit age, so the gulf in everything in terms of pure hands/movement/boxing is enormous. When it's said that boxing in the UFC is 'amateurish' it's actually way off the mark as it's mostly nowhere near that.

Regarding Woodley, I understand he needs the money, but the potential for him to be humiliated in a boxing ring is abundantly clear.

He's notoriously shot shy, has poor cardio and barrels single shots into takedown attempts, which might be fine in MMA, but is no kind of arsenal for boxing, even at his best, and not this washed up version, he's no kind of boxer and these past-their-best-wrestlers are being hand-picked to elevate Paul's 'status' whilst carrying little threat within a boxing ring.

Add boxing gloves instead of those tiny ouncers and what Woodley relies on becomes even more redundant. Him getting beyond Paul's length with his style, not backed up by shooting will be a few wild bomb attempts before he reverts to type and gets peppered with shots, gassed and hesitant.

I'm saying a lot of words to get to the point this was not a good idea outside the financial reward.

Someone like Cormier with his pitbull way of output, dirty boxing and scrappiness to take a hit to land his own is more like what's needed.

But these MMA fighters taking the bait and agreeing to boxing conditions that severely limit them (when their hands aren't amazing in the first place) to get that quick buck is pretty tragic and is going to get embarrassing if it keeps up.
I agree with what you're saying and it's obvious this Paul brother hand picks easy fights (whilst the other one fights one of the best boxers ever!)

BUt re point 1, have either brother got any boxing experience as amateurs etc? I genuinely don't know so am curious. From my understanding they only fought a few years ago and they'd be in the exact same boat as any UFC Fighter in that regard, albeit they have had boxing exclusive training over the last few years.

The bigger problem these 2 fights is that why are UFC fighters so desperate to get paid they're willing to risk their reputation for this? I know Woodley spunked a lot of his own money himself which is his fault but also the fact they're in this position shows how underpaid they are in their career.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I agree with what you're saying and it's obvious this Paul brother hand picks easy fights (whilst the other one fights one of the best boxers ever!)

BUt re point 1, have either brother got any boxing experience as amateurs etc? I genuinely don't know so am curious. From my understanding they only fought a few years ago and they'd be in the exact same boat as any UFC Fighter in that regard, albeit they have had boxing exclusive training over the last few years.

The bigger problem these 2 fights is that why are UFC fighters so desperate to get paid they're willing to risk their reputation for this? I know Woodley spunked a lot of his own money himself which is his fault but also the fact they're in this position shows how underpaid they are in their career.
I don’t know much about either of the Paul’s but heard they’ve trained boxing for a long time, and it does show with the work they do behind the jab, their footwork and their instinctive actions after being hit (retaining discipline and shape/composure). As boxers, against actual boxers they’d get wiped, but picking on MMA guys who have no real reason to think like boxers, or react like boxers do (100% Woodley will want to scramble when hit, and he *hates* being hit, so imagine when he’s constantly peppered with jabs) there’s a lot of easy pickings for them as long as they shy away from fighters with hands and feet/footwork. Chasing after wrestlers and grapplers in general who have obvious flaws is smart and will quickly elevate their profile and earning potential whilst embarrassing fighters and the UFC.

It’s cynical and clever and I think it also a play on the ego of these MMA guys who don’t see how far removed from what they do this is. On the surface, it looks like a bold callout, but if you break Woodley’s hands down and remove all other facets he relied on in MMA, he’s not going to fare well, IMO. The Paul’s are also volume strikers; how embarrassing it will be for Woodley to gas inside 3 and then be a punchbag.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
I don’t know much about either of the Paul’s but heard they’ve trained boxing for a long time, and it does show with the work they do behind the jab, their footwork and their instinctive actions after being hit (retaining discipline and shape/composure). As boxers, against actual boxers they’d get wiped, but picking on MMA guys who have no real reason to think like boxers, or react like boxers do (100% Woodley will want to scramble when hit, and he *hates* being hit, so imagine when he’s constantly peppered with jabs) there’s a lot of easy pickings for them as long as they shy away from fighters with hands and feet/footwork. Chasing after wrestlers and grapplers in general who have obvious flaws is smart and will quickly elevate their profile and earning potential whilst embarrassing fighters and the UFC.

It’s cynical and clever and I think it also a play on the ego of these MMA guys who don’t see how far removed from what they do this is. On the surface, it looks like a bold callout, but if you break Woodley’s hands down and remove all other facets he relied on in MMA, he’s not going to fare well, IMO. The Paul’s are also volume strikers; how embarrassing it will be for Woodley to gas inside 3 and then be a punchbag.
Which MMA fighters would have a good chance in your opinion?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Which MMA fighters would have a good chance in your opinion?
It's got to be someone they can have a bout with size/weight wise, which narrows the field a lot. I doubt they'd take on a LHW (they have the Mayweather cherry-picking gene), so you're looking at someone in the Welters or Middleweight exclusively, I think.

They won't fight strikers - I put money on that - just grapplers, so that would thin the pool even more.

But your question was just generally?

Usman *
Adesanya
Covington *
Edwards
Masivdal
Whittaker
Till

etc. you couldn't pay either of them enough to step in with any of those, though, maybe Covington.
* represents that they've the heart, output and can make even a boxing match what they want it to be against people on Paul's level despite being wrestlers.

The thing about this is they've wormed their way into the spotlight, got under the skin of their targets and if they are smart in who they pick on, it's got mileage ($$$) because people want to see it, both in hope of a heel getting knocked out as well as expecting these MMA guys to have no problem dispatching a nobody in a boxing contest, but there's a clear method to the 'madness'.

I don't think this Woodley bout is going to play out well for him, at all. And that it may 'shock the world' despite the writing being on the walls that Woodley should not be doing this for the sake of his reputation. You can see these Paul's are not just mouth as its without question they've done a solid amount of hours just from how they move and throw punches.

Oggmonster

Judging by the below video if they've been boxing a long time they need to call it a day!!

I dunno which one is the better one but assuming they're both of similar ability that is absolutely dreadful

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Judging by the below video if they've been boxing a long time they need to call it a day!!

I dunno which one is the better one but assuming they're both of similar ability that is absolutely dreadful
As far as I'm aware, Jake Paul is the one with more training and takes boxing more serious whereas Logan is more famous for his YouTube channel and laughing at people who commit suicide.

Oggmonster

As far as I'm aware, Jake Paul is the one with more training and takes boxing more serious whereas Logan is more famous for his YouTube channel and laughing at people who commit suicide.
How the feck has the shit one ended in the ring with Mayweather?!? :lol: Whole thing is to confusing to follow!

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
How the feck has the shit one ended in the ring with Mayweather?!? :lol: Whole thing is to confusing to follow!
I think he has bigger following probably. Plus Mayweather likes to stack everything in his favour. Although I'm sure he can beat both brothers together at the same time if he wanted to :lol: