g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

The MMA thread

bsCallout

Judging by the below video if they've been boxing a long time they need to call it a day!!

I dunno which one is the better one but assuming they're both of similar ability that is absolutely dreadful
The other brother is much better than this one. As much as I hate them, Jake is actually doing the work and it's obvious he's putting in the work too.

Oggmonster

I think he has bigger following probably. Plus Mayweather likes to stack everything in his favour. Although I'm sure he can beat both brothers together at the same time if he wanted to :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: I'm all in agreement with Mayweather cherry picking fighters especially later in his career but hes surely not cherry picking YouTubers now?!?

The other brother is much better than this one. As much as I hate them, Jake is actually doing the work and it's obvious he's putting in the work too.
Fair play, like I say I know feck all about em really. Just giving @Fortitude some videos before he potentially chucks his money away to the bookies!

Luke1995

@Fortitude You could very well be right. I'll say that you know way more than me.

But the basis of my point was that because Paul is not a full time fighter, and Woodley is, Woodley should be able to take shots better and not fold under pressure

So far nobody has seen that Jake guy face any adversity. I'm just curious to see if Woodley can give him that

Of note, ''Venom'' Page has won fights in pro boxing.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
:lol: :lol: :lol: I'm all in agreement with Mayweather cherry picking fighters especially later in his career but hes surely not cherry picking YouTubers now?!?
Easy work, more money. That's all Mayweather cares about now. And fair play to him. It's good business and he's fecking rich for a reason.

@Fortitude You could very well be right. I'll say that you know way more than me.

But the basis of my point was that because Paul is not a full time fighter, and Woodley is, Woodley should be able to take shots better and not fold under pressure

So far nobody has seen that Jake guy face any adversity. I'm just curious to see if Woodley can give him that

Woodley striking is generally counter power punch, I doubt that'll work against someone who can see the shots coming. He also folds like a deck chair when anyone applies pressure on him. He was like this even in his peak. Look at the Rory or Usman fights. Then got older and this got worse against pressure fighters like Burns and Colby. His bigger winning performances were against Till and Wonderboy, both of which don't pressure but look to counter strike themselves. I think this will be more competitive than the Askren debacle but the outcome will still be a Jake Paul win.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout

Fair play, like I say I know feck all about em really. Just giving @Fortitude some videos before he potentially chucks his money away to the bookies!
T'was the other one I was referring to, and I'm loathe to do research on them as a whole, but have seen enough of the other one to think he's not the gimme many would think.

Funny thing is, Woodley knows he can whip his ass as an MMA fighter, but his ego and pride have carried over to a setting he isn't suited to, especially with full-sized boxing gloves on.

His tank is bad in UFC; heaven only knows how quickly he'll gas if forced to throw volume without a rest. Either he sparks Paul really early, or he gases and becomes a meme... I really favour the latter over the former because he's shot shy as it is, and he'll know what losing this fight will do to his reputation. Paul's got nothing to lose - every ounce of risk is on Woodley's shoulders and he doesn't handle pressure well.

Paul's going to go in there heavy, too, so clinching and brawling is going to gas Woodley even more for very little effort on Paul's side. It's a bad match up for Woodley and there's a reason why he was picked in the first place.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
T'was the other one I was referring to, and I'm loathe to do research on them as a whole, but have seen enough of the other one to think he's not the gimme many would think.

Funny thing is, Woodley knows he can whip his ass as an MMA fighter, but his ego and pride have carried over to a setting he isn't suited to, especially with full-sized boxing gloves on.

His tank is bad in UFC; heaven only knows how quickly he'll gas if forced to throw volume without a rest. Either he sparks Paul really early, or he gases and becomes a meme... I really favour the latter over the former because he's shot shy as it is, and he'll know what losing this fight will do to his reputation. Paul's got nothing to lose - every ounce of risk is on Woodley's shoulders and he doesn't handle pressure well.

Paul's going to go in there heavy, too, so clinching and brawling is going to gas Woodley even more for very little effort on Paul's side. It's a bad match up for Woodley and there's a reason why he was picked in the first place.
He ain't throwing shit. Will be the usual, backing up against the cage (or ropes in this occasion) looking for the perfect shot that won't come. Then he'll look lost for the rest of the fight and turn up to the post fight interview and say "I don't know what happened" the fecking idiot :lol:

Dana must be getting pissed that all his champions and MMA vets are getting their asses beat by a YouTube guy :lol:

Oggmonster

Oh absolutely....didn't think you'd put money on the one this weekend to win :lol: just wasn't sure if they were meant to be similar in terms of "uality"

He ain't throwing shit. Will be the usual, backing up against the cage (or ropes in this occasion) looking for the perfect shot that won't come. Then he'll look lost for the rest of the fight and turn up to the post fight interview and say "I don't know what happened" the fecking idiot :lol:

Dana must be getting pissed that all his champions and MMA vets are getting their asses beat by a YouTube guy :lol:

Be hilarious if he fell through them by constantly leaning.

Dana made this mess himself by underpaying fighters...it does look really bad on the sport though, especially if a legit champion goes in and gets beaten handily.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout

Boxing, or using your hands with the threat of shooting and takedowns behind it is very different to actual boxing, with full-sized boxing gloves and nothing but your guile, cardio/output and heart to carry you. feinting, shifting your feet, doubling and tripling up your jab and so many other things barely exist in MMA, one because you don't need it to be lethal and two, because it's a real art form that takes many, many years to master. If you think about all the facets of MMA, only those who come from striking backgrounds are going to have even a fraction of the time worked on these skills for them to be instinctive and superfluous - most fighters revert to type and any surface level skills learned along the way get tossed to the wayside the moment things get out of hand, which is where you see wrestlers instinctively shoot for the legs when the striking gets too hot for them. Fighters like Usman, Covington and Cormier are an anomaly in that they keep striking even when things get out of hand, but Woodley is not.

He shells up, or tries to fire that bomb punch with little inbetween. Woodley doesn't like being hit, and he knows he has a terrible tank so he tries to conserve his energy, which he gets away with more in MMA than he will in a boxing ring where he needs to have a skillset and range in his hands (jabs, feints, crosses etc.) that he simply doesn't have. To hurt Paul, he has to open him up. Woodley doesn't open anyone up - he knocks them out with a bomb or two.

On top of that, if Woodley's going to throw at a volume that matches Paul, his power will diminish rapidly as he has no stamina.

I don't see what Woodley does to get inside a much longer man's jab - he has no head movement, and he doesn't move his feet well either... If you take the threat of his wrestling away, there's only the bomb right hand to concern, and you have to set that up to land it, which is where his level feints from wrestling are so much more of a threat in MMA and what makes that single bomb effective. It's not applicable in any way in a boxing ring.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout

That's pretty much what I think will happen, too, but with the caveat he'll realise Paul is going to be a problem as he can't take him to the ground and doesn’t have the range in his hands to do much unless Paul overcommits and leaves himself wide open.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Oh absolutely....didn't think you'd put money on the one this weekend to win :lol: just wasn't sure if they were meant to be similar in terms of "uality"
:lol: Floyd would pick the weaker one to be doubly sure anyway!

Dana made this mess himself by underpaying fighters...it does look really bad on the sport though, especially if a legit champion goes in and gets beaten handily.
Casuals will soon be questioning the validity of MMA if this becomes a running theme and all steming from fighters seeing a payday as well as a chance to shut Paul up (ego).

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town

This will happen. I know it. I can already imagine how Woodleys dumb expression will be like as he lies on the floor with his legs on the apron, looking up at the ref :lol:

Yeah, Dana did cause this. And he's already said that Woodley isn't the man he was 4 years ago. True, but it shows that he has little confidence here.

:lol: Floyd would pick the weaker one to be doubly sure anyway!

Casuals will soon be questioning the validity of MMA if this becomes a running theme and all steming from fighters seeing a payday as well as a chance to shut Paul up (ego).
This is what is pissing me off. Already have mates that solely watch boxing telling me that if an ex-champ lost (like Askren did) to an amateur then imagine if a real boxer fight an MMA guy :eek:

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
This will happen. I know it. I can already imagine how Woodleys dumb expression will be like as he lies on the floor with his legs on the apron, looking up at the ref :lol:

Yeah, Dana did cause this. And he's already said that Woodley isn't the man he was 4 years ago. True, but it shows that he has little confidence here.

This is what is pissing me off. Already have mates that solely watch boxing telling me that if an ex-champ lost (like Askren did) to an amateur then imagine if a real boxer fight an MMA guy :eek:
:lol: Show them footage of James Toney vs Randy.

Luke1995

Boxing, or using your hands with the threat of shooting and takedowns behind it is very different to actual boxing, with full-sized boxing gloves and nothing but your guile, cardio/output and heart to carry you. feinting, shifting your feet, doubling and tripling up your jab and so many other things barely exist in MMA, one because you don't need it to be lethal and two, because it's a real art form that takes many, many years to master. If you think about all the facets of MMA, only those who come from striking backgrounds are going to have even a fraction of the time worked on these skills for them to be instinctive and superfluous - most fighters revert to type and any surface level skills learned along the way get tossed to the wayside the moment things get out of hand, which is where you see wrestlers instinctively shoot for the legs when the striking gets too hot for them. Fighters like Usman, Covington and Cormier are an anomaly in that they keep striking even when things get out of hand, but Woodley is not.

He shells up, or tries to fire that bomb punch with little inbetween. Woodley doesn't like being hit, and he knows he has a terrible tank so he tries to conserve his energy, which he gets away with more in MMA than he will in a boxing ring where he needs to have a skillset and range in his hands (jabs, feints, crosses etc.) that he simply doesn't have. To hurt Paul, he has to open him up. Woodley doesn't open anyone up - he knocks them out with a bomb or two.

On top of that, if Woodley's going to throw at a volume that matches Paul, his power will diminish rapidly as he has no stamina.

I don't see what Woodley does to get inside a much longer man's jab - he has no head movement, and he doesn't move his feet well either... If you take the threat of his wrestling away, there's only the bomb right hand to concern, and you have to set that up to land it, which is where his level feints from wrestling are so much more of a threat in MMA and what makes that single bomb effective. It's not applicable in any way in a boxing ring.
I enjoyed reading that. Obviously in his MMA career, Woodley used his hands with the threat of a takedown alot. Guys were either scared of his power or worried that he would shoot on them.

And yeah, there are body movements in boxing that either don't exist in MMA or are barely used there. Woodley will find himself confused over that difference. Some things can only be learned in ring combat I suppose.

Also, looks like Paul has been training really hard since 2020. It certainly isn't all a joke for him.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
I enjoyed reading that. Obviously in his MMA career, Woodley used his hands with the threat of a takedown alot. Guys were either scared of his power or worried that he would shoot on them.

And yeah, there are body movements in boxing that either don't exist in MMA or are barely used there. Woodley will find himself confused over that difference. Some things can only be learned in ring combat I suppose.

Also, looks like Paul has been training really hard since 2020. It certainly isn't all a joke for him.
That is Woodley in a nutshell over the last couple of years :lol:

Luke1995

That is Woodley in a nutshell over the last couple of years :lol:
Another fighter that I thought was world class at times but frustrated the hell out of me was Benson Henderson

He was solid everywhere and always had a high pace and volume, but he also had some losses that he really shouldn't.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Apologies @George Owen but this one is going to be a turning point for MMA, imo. The money on the table; the amount of possibilities a win opens up for Paul; the heat on Dana for underpaying his fighters; the embarrassment to the UFC having two former representatives beaten in succession (again assuming Paul wins). This fight is bigger than some silly Youtuber calling out an ex-champ MMA fighter and the ripple effects are potentially enormous

And then you have Woodley talking how he is:

And I think he really believes it - and probably should do as he shouldn't have doubt before entering the ring - which will make a loss so many times worse. He even has the nerve to talk about someone else gassing or being taken into deep waters by himself over a number of rounds :lol:

It's the perfect storm and a real recipe for disaster.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Apologies @George Owen but this one is going to be a turning point for MMA, imo. The money on the table; the amount of possibilities a win opens up for Paul; the heat on Dana for underpaying his fighters; the embarrassment to the UFC having two former representatives beaten in succession (again assuming Paul wins). This fight is bigger than some silly Youtuber calling out an ex-champ MMA fighter and the ripple effects are potentially enormous

And I think he really believes it - and probably should do as he shouldn't have doubt before entering the ring - which will make a loss so many times worse. He even has the nerve to talk about someone else gassing or being taken into deep waters by himself over a number of rounds :lol:

If Woodley loses man... :lol:

Askren was never a striker and your can see in the build up, he didn't take it seriously. It was just a nice fat pay day.

Woodley seems to be more motivated and had far more striking clout so if he loses, MMA will take a huge hit.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
If Woodley loses man... :lol:
Woodley's own words and the ego he's talking with could be plastered to memes after the fight.

Askren was never a striker and your can see in the build up, he didn't take it seriously. It was just a nice fat pay day.

Woodley seems to be more motivated and had far more striking clout so if he loses, MMA will take a huge hit.
Yes, it's a huge bout in its own bizarre way.

Then you'll get a number of MMA strikers sending for Paul. The irony! Upside down world!

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!

Agree with the bolded. :lol:

I wouldn't be surprised if the boxer (Paul) wins this one. Woodley was a decent fighter back in the day, but never a decent boxer.

No athleticism, no cardio, no talent. Only explosion and power, for like 15 seconds per round.

He was already humiliated in some TV show competition by some high-school teacher or something, so definitely not surprising if he loses.

But don't agree with the rest. I don't think it would be an embarrassment for the UFC at all if Paul wins. Nobody cares. Nothing more than a joke. It's just an old man who wasted his hard earn money, and now will be paid handsomely to take a nap. A freak show that has nothing to do with the world of MMA. It's one for the boxing thread.

Also, everybody has known for ages that the fighters are underpaid. Dana will just pay better to a few of the big names and get done with it, the rest will fall in line. But, If it really creates a ripple effect and they (fighters) get a much better piece of the pie, collectively speaking, that would be great of course, so hopefully I'm wrong.

Today's event is euro friendly. Prelims starting in 15 minutes.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Agree with the bolded. :lol:

I wouldn't be surprised if the boxer (Paul) wins this one. Woodley was a decent fighter back in the day, but never a decent boxer.

No athleticism, no cardio, no talent. Only explosion and power, for like 15 seconds per round.

He was already humiliated in some TV show competition by some high-school teacher or something, so definitely not surprising if he loses.

But don't agree with the rest. I don't think it would be an embarrassment for the UFC at all if Paul wins. Nobody cares. Nothing more than a joke. It's just an old man who wasted his hard earn money, and now will be paid handsomely to take a nap. A freak show that has nothing to do with the world of MMA. It's one for the boxing thread.

Also, everybody has known for ages that the fighters are underpaid. Dana will just pay better to a few of the big names and get done with it, the rest will fall in line. But, If it really creates a ripple effect and they (fighters) get a much better piece of the pie, collectively speaking, that would be great of course, so hopefully I'm wrong.

Today's event is euro friendly. Prelims starting in 15 minutes.
Re: bolded. That might be your opinion mate but you’re a hardcore fan. Trust me, to casuals and particularly the younger generation it will be huge if Woodley is beaten by the ‘youtuber’. It devalues the hell out of the sport, particularly the more subtle arts of it. People won’t understand that Woodley’s stance and guard has been trained for MMA defence rather than boxing defence etc etc. They’ll just see the former ufc champion beaten by the brash kid that makes videos.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Re: bolded. That might be your opinion mate but you’re a hardcore fan. Trust me, to casuals and particularly the younger generation it will be huge if Woodley is beaten by the ‘youtuber’. It devalues the hell out of the sport, particularly the more subtle arts of it. People won’t understand that Woodley’s stance and guard has been trained for MMA defence rather than boxing defence etc etc. They’ll just see the former ufc champion beaten by the brash kid that makes videos.
Agree. As I said, I have many friends who already are saying this after Askren. Woodley will be worse as he was a UFC champion. The "is just a hugging sport" bullshit will be on the tips of their tongues.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Agree. As I said, I have many friends who already are saying this after Askren. Woodley will be worse as he was a UFC champion. The "is just a hugging sport" bullshit will be on the tips of their tongues.
Exactly. The knock on effect is it turns kids away (though the argument can be made that it does the opposite for boxing, so there is some gain)

George Owen

Exactly. The knock on effect is it turns kids away (though the argument can be made that it does the opposite for boxing, so there is some gain)
Turn kids away from what? :lol:

Different sports, different crowd.

The youtube kids are not the MMA crowd, just like the dumb @Dirty Schwein 's friends who can't differentiate different sports from each other.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Turn kids away from what? :lol:

Different sports, different crowd.

The youtube kids are not the MMA crowd, just like the dumb @Dirty Schwein 's friends who can't differentiate different sports from each other.
It is very plausible that watching a former ufc champion being beaten by a youtuber turns kids away from MMA. Saying MMA kids aren’t YouTube kids is fallacy mate. 19 out of 20 kids that train MMA at the moment will know more about YouTube boxing than you or I. Different sports different crowds is off as well....boxing and MMA share loads of fans, you only need to look at the caf’s respective threads to see that.
I think you’re quite against the implications of these fights on MMA...I am as well by the way! But you can’t deny their existence

redom

Had to chuckle in that last round when Trinaldo accidentally eyepokes Salikhov, apologises when the fight restarts but immediately throws a left hook and left high kick at that eye :lol:

George Owen

It is very plausible that watching a former ufc champion being beaten by a youtuber turns kids away from MMA. Saying MMA kids aren’t YouTube kids is fallacy mate. 19 out of 20 kids that train MMA at the moment will know more about YouTube boxing than you or I. Different sports different crowds is off as well....boxing and MMA share loads of fans, you only need to look at the caf’s respective threads to see that.
I think you’re quite against the implications of these fights on MMA...I am as well by the way! But you can’t deny their existence
Stop it. There are no implications. :lol:

The only people paying to watch this fight are Paul fans (and the few Woodley fans maybe). Not many boxing fans nor MMA fans would pay to watch a low level fight like this (why would you?). This celebrity boxing match is aimed at a different crowd. It's just a shameful moneygrab that will either die off soon enough, or will give birth to celebrity matches as a popular side sport, that will be aimed at the followers of the participants of the matches, not at the followers of the professional sports.

You are definitely overrating the effect a semi retired Woodley getting beaten at not his sport by a young boxer YouTuber, will have on anything.

MMA will be alright.

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
So frustrating this dolidze guy. Staropoli is pissed off because he came to fight and got hugged for 15 mins

Raoul

Admin
Staff
These two fighters are so annoying. The look like twins frolicking in a play pen. And what's with all the laughing in the middle of a fight ?