The MMA thread

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
Don't write Max off, he's more than capable of beating Gaethje. Like both of these guys though so gonna be an epic fight!
True enough. I think it's just because I love Max that I'm kind of dreading it despite how potentially amazing it could be. The ultimate chin in the UFC vs the heaviest hands in the LW division.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
The more I think about it, the more I hate Max-Gaethje. Not only do I fear there's a real chance of the above, it just makes no sense in the context of the current landscape.

Islam is supposed to be back in June, current plan seems to be hope either Gaethje or the winner of Charles/Arman is healthy enough to turn around in 8-10 weeks. It's like they learnt nothing from the DDP-Whittaker / Izzy Australia card scheduling (albeit there are 2 potential opponents to rely on here rather than just 1 in that case). Would rather just lock in the Gaethje fight in June + then the winner of Charles/Arman in Oct assuming all are healthy.

Similarly for Max, if Ilia wins that opens up the door to title contention again for Max at 145 and that would be a brilliant fight. And if that doesn't happen and Volk keeps hold of the belt, there's still potential fresh match-ups with Emmett, or Aljo if he beats Kattar, or Evloev if he beats Allen. Would rather avoid the possibility of him getting beaten to a pulp the weight class above for a fake belt and see how the Volk-Ilia fight pans out first.

Last edited:

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Say what you want about Sean Strickland….I reckon I’m more excited for this fight than I have been for any of Izzy’s last 5 fights

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Sad for Allen. Happy for DDP. Hopefully Strickland carries on being a foul-mouthed troll.
Gutted for Arnold because I thought he edged that. Couldn't understand why Anik was so confident that Evloev won, seemed to be just because Arnold got cut...

Don't really understand the scoring of the 1st. Evloev kind of ragdolled him the last minute of the round but in effort he had zero control time because Allen just kept getting up after each mat return and Evloev did no damage or advance on any position at all. And Allen outstruck him the first 4 minutes and stuffed a takedown. :confused:

Ady87

I hate Strickland’s personal views, therefor I’m delighted he lost a tight fight.

‘A woman in every kitchen. A gun in every hand’ - Those t shirts need burning.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
It’s the first apex event ive watched in a while. They are such joyless shows. Surely im not the only one who is getting sick and tired of modern UFC

fight nightss years ago although never ppv quality have had some classic events.

Luke1995

It’s the first apex event ive watched in a while. They are such joyless shows. Surely im not the only one who is getting sick and tired of modern UFC

fight nightss years ago although never ppv quality have had some classic events.
Given how many fighters they have under contract and the need to put a certain number of shows on, it's inevitable lots of them will end up in the apex.

I agree fight nights from years ago seemed to have a better production. 2013 to 2016 fight nights were really fun.

At least they are really stacking the PPV's recently.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic

I feel like they just don't have much of a place on Saturday nights more than anything. Primetime TV slots you expect to see a proper show which includes the crowd presence, without that it just feels out of place.

Part of the reason DWCS works I think is that it's midweek, if the Apex fight cards shows were midweek as well I think they'd be more welcomed.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

Its been crap since the pandemic. Boring cards with largely anonymous fighters and the fact that they have largely given up on crowds for fight night events is a sign they are in total disarray.

Gordon S

Any predictions for the weekend?

I`m thinking:
Fluffy
Merab
Garry
Knuckles
Volk

Some nice fights, looking forward to it. Could be bangers right through the main card, if we`re lucky.

Luke1995

Cejudo

Garry

Whittaker

Topuria

Not one of these picks make me feel safe about them though... feel like Garry X Neal could be fight of the night.

Luke1995

The card doesn't look as good as the 299 but it's still a great main card with a solid undercard.

And the next two events before the 299 are quality too!