The MMA thread

justboy68

I wanna see a number 1 contender fight vs Garbrandt. I know it looks like Cody is getting the next shot but he hasn't done enough yet imo, needs a big fight like Lineker first. TJ should be getting the next shot.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Loved the main event. Probably should have been a draw but I like Lineker so not gonna moan about it.

Oggmonster

Rockhold was infuriatingly pedestrian. Almost on Silva levels v Weidman.
Yeah I never quite got what he was doing really. The best bit was him lobbying for a rematch after as if he was some dominant champ. Defended the title and lost to someone on 2 weeks notice.

I did love the Bisping stuff in that to be honest, I know he divides opinion but he just made Rockhold look a dick every time he spoke which I'd suggest isn't to hard really.

Any ideas/speculation/rumours around what this thing McGregor has going on and will announce after 205
Dana White has alluded to it in plenty of interviews

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
So Khabib now threatening to leave if he doesn't get title shot next? This was bound to start happening sooner or later...

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Khabib would probably break his tailbone when the door hit his arse on the way out, tbh.
Yet more confirmation of what a clown show Dana is turning the UFC into. Alvarez had apparently been offered Khabib, who by all counts should be the next fighter on the LW pecking order, but Alvarez declined - obviously because he wanted to feed off the Conor cash cow. We should just grow accustomed to a UFC where every fighter flees from their next logical fight and towards either fighting Conor or on a card where Conor is fighting.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/10/...ib-nurmagomedov-if-i-dont-fight-for-the-title

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
We should just grow accustomed to a UFC where every fighter flees from their next logical fight and towards either fighting Conor or on a card where Conor is fighting.
professional fighters trying to maximise earning potential over a relativley short and potentially dangerous career - yup its either change human nature or get used to it

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
professional fighters trying to maximise earning potential over a relativley short and potentially dangerous career - yup its either change human nature or get used to it
I think that if the UFC offered fighters better packages, you would see less of these Conor call outs.

Why should Khabib be the logical contender?
I think the next rightful challenger should be T. Ferguson followed by Khabib.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
In this case to the detriment of other professional fighters. Lets call this what it is - greed and Bullshit.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Why should Khabib be the logical contender?
Because he's regarded as the number one contender in virtually every credible ranking. And before anyone brings up the old trope of "rankings are BS because they are made by journos"...well yes that's how it works.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
possibly - and personally i think MMA will outgrow the UFC soon enough and we will see other viable promotions / belts and it will all end up a little fragmented like boxing
If enough prominent fighters threaten to leave, it will just open the door for another company like Bellator or a new one to fill the void. Offer fighters more profit sharing, a proper union, and less disingenuous leadership at the top, and you've suddenly got yourself a direct competitor to the UFC.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
In this case to the detriment of other professional fighters. Lets call this what it is - greed and Bullshit.
not sure I agree - I know pro MMA fighters - I know how much they earn and how much their training costs and for most of them I know the chance of a big payday is worth chasing - they have kids etc and frankly you call it greed but Id call it being a responsible wage earner - different sides of the same coin but depends on your perspective for how you see it

cyberman

I think that if the UFC offered fighters better packages, you would see less of these Conor call outs.

I think the next rightful challenger should be T. Ferguson followed by Khabib.
Yep Ferguson for me. Khabib should be nowhere near title contention atm.
His wins from a few years ago means nothing now, it's almost
as if he's coming from a different division

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Because he's regarded as the number one contender in virtually every credible ranking. And before anyone brings up the old trope of "rankings are BS because they are made by journos"...well yes that's how it works.
he was

but one fight against an unranked in 2 years for me doesnt give him a pass to be pissed at the company

Raoul

Admin
Staff
not sure I agree - I know pro MMA fighters - I know how much they earn and how much their training costs and for most of them I know the chance of a big payday is worth chasing - they have kids etc and frankly you call it greed but Id call it being a responsible wage earner - different sides of the same coin but depends on your perspective for how you see it
Look I don't begrudge anyone to make their money, but it has to be in a balanced way that doesn't penalize other fighters. What you have in the UFC is a situation wherein one fighter is controlling the entire sport. That's neither healthy nor sustainable. Rather than come up with a proper pay system where fighters get more money over a longer period of time, UFC made the mistake of going the PPV points route where only the elite personalities in the sport get a vast majority of the money and others are left to scrap over who gets to fight on cards where elite fighters (namely McGregor) are fighting. Its just turning into a massive shitshow.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Look I don't begrudge anyone to make their money, but it has to be in a balanced way that doesn't penalize other fighters. What you have in the UFC is a situation wherein one fighter is controlling the entire sport. That's neither healthy nor sustainable. Rather than come up with a proper pay system where fighters get more money over a longer period of time, UFC made the mistake of going the PPV points route where only the elite personalities in the sport get a vast majority of the money and others are left to scrap over who gets to fight on cards where elite fighters (namely McGregor) are fighting. Its just turning into a massive shitshow.
its been going doen that route a long time - dont see the UFC changing it as its a profitable model for them - but over time they will loose fighters and people will soon realise that there is a lot of talent outside the UFC as well... UFC is probably too bloated as it is so all in all it will be a good thing when it eventually thins out - which in turn might enable them to give better deals to fewer fighters

Raoul

Admin
Staff
he was

but one fight against an unranked in 2 years for me doesnt give him a pass to be pissed at the company
I don't get the two year thing. Bar his recent OSP fight Jon Jones last fought 21 months ago. GSP hasn't fought in 3 years and is coming back soon. Do you think he won't get a title fight ? Lesnar hadn't fought in 5 and made millions a few months ago. So clearly time isn't an issue when the UFC is dealing with its preferred pet fighters.

As for Khabib, he has beaten RDA and so the only logical choice would be for the last two people who beat RDA - the current champ and the number one contender - to fight one another. This is just another example of the UFC/Dana et al. passive aggressively dicking fighters who aren't in their inner sanctum of preferred fighters.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
he was

I agree that I don't think Khabib should get the next shot (it should be Tony) BUT this is Dana's doing. Don't offer Khabib the title agreement and get him to sign papers just to use him as a pawn to get Alvarez to fight McGregor on his old contract. It's the constant broken promises and disrespect coming from above that is causing all these fighters to suddenly react like this.

I mean, which other sport would treat a veteran and all time great fighter (Aldo) the way UFC has... oh shit... United are doing the same thing to Schweiny :lol:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Why are people bringing Ferguson into this discussion ? He is already scheduled to fight RDA in November - the same RDA who Khabib has already dispatched.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Why are people bringing Ferguson into this discussion ? He is already scheduled to fight RDA in November - the same RDA who Khabib has already dispatched.
And Khabib is fighting Johnson...

one of them gonna fight for the title next (if both wins). Its logical to bring them both to the table, specially Cucuy.

ps. I reckon is completely possible for Conor to vacate the lightweight title after winning it (if), so maybe they both (khabib and Tony) end up fighting for the title.

justboy68

he should be pissed at his religion if anything.

Ferguson potential 9 win streak >>>>>>> inactive crying Khabib.
At the end of the day they both can make good cases for why they deserve it. Khabib was the one messed around by the UFC the most though. What the hell were they playing at sending him contracts for the fight?

Raoul

Admin
Staff

one of them gonna fight for the title next (if both wins). Its logical to bring them both to the table, specially Cucuy.

ps. I reckon is completely possible for Conor to vacate the lightweight title after winning it (if), so maybe they both (khabib and Tony) end up fighting for the title.
Well yes, because Conor has decided he would like to fight for the LW title without ever having fought in the division, thereby cutting the queue ahead of everyone and throwing every other fighters path towards a title shot into disarray.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Well yes, because Conor has decided he would like to fight for the LW title without ever having fought in the division, thereby cutting the queue ahead of everyone and throwing every other fighters path towards a title shot into disarray.
no doubt about that. Dana (and the UFC) is responsible for a lot of the bad shit going on right now.

Hard to blame Conor directly though, because he is just doing what best for his ego and pocket, but its the UFC who allows it.

a respectable proper ranking system would help a lot going into the future...

JP77

They're still pushing themselves right into a position which is going to leave one fighter hugely unhappy in a few months time unless results work in their favour.

Let's look at it like this. Say Khabib beats Johnson and Ferguson beats RDA, where do you go from there? You're then in the exact same position of having two legit contenders, who do you give the shot? Khabib is ranked number one as it is whether people want to agree with it or not, you think he's pissed off now? Imagine him beating Johnson and getting passed up on a title shot AGAIN. But then there's Ferguson. If he beats RDA, how do you not give him a title shot too? He'd have taken out the former champion, who BTW is also a credible challenger to the title too right now. If you give it to Khabib, what exactly do you give Ferguson? Alvarez if he loses the title?

The worrying part is that I'm not ruling out them doing the absolute ridiculous one if results go their way:
McGregor defeats Alvarez for the title
Khabib and Ferguson both win
They make Diaz/McGregor 3 for the title and try to make Khabib/Ferguson as a number one contender fight

Honestly wouldn't rule out the above, it's the type of crazy shit you'd expect from them at this stage. What realistically should have happened is Khabib fighting Alvarez for the title and Ferguson fighting RDA in a number one contender fight. That was clearly the plan all along as well which is why Ferguson/RDA was made. Certainly going to be an interesting November. While I think they made some piss poor decisions I'd be lying if I said I wasn't pumped for RDA/Ferguson and to see what happens in McGregor/Alvarez.

Something we can all agree on is November is going to be an incredible month for the UFC. Ferguson/RDA opens up the month, then 205 a week later which is a stacked card, a week after that there seems to be two shows on the same night, an absolute cracker between Kim/Gunnar in NI and Bader/Nog in Brazil and it's all topped off to end the month with Rockhold/Jacare 2.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
I don't get the two year thing. Bar his recent OSP fight Jon Jones last fought 21 months ago. GSP hasn't fought in 3 years and is coming back soon. Do you think he won't get a title fight ? Lesnar hadn't fought in 5 and made millions a few months ago. So clearly time isn't an issue when the UFC is dealing with its preferred pet fighters.

As for Khabib, he has beaten RDA and so the only logical choice would be for the last two people who beat RDA - the current champ and the number one contender - to fight one another. This is just another example of the UFC/Dana et al. passive aggressively dicking fighters who aren't in their inner sanctum of preferred fighters.
JJ and GSP were both proven champions and huge draws. Both never actually lost their belts. Its nothing like the Khabib situation. Who only has a couple of notable victories two years ago.

Lesnar is a different story. But the exposure he brings is huge. He could walk to the ring and take a dump and it would still make the UFC more money than anything Khabib could bring

The sooner people realise combat sports is more about the money the better. Its the same in boxing

Raoul

Admin
Staff
JJ and GSP were both proven champions and huge draws. Both never actually lost their belts. Its nothing like the Khabib situation. Who only has a couple of notable victories two years ago.

Lesnar is a different story. But the exposure he brings is huge. He could walk to the ring and take a dump and it would still make the UFC more money than anything Khabib could bring

The sooner people realise combat sports is more about the money the better. Its the same in boxing
Before his recent fight this year, Khabib beat RDA. If that doesn't prove he is able to beat the best then nothing will.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Before his recent fight this year, Khabib beat RDA. If that doesn't prove he is able to beat the best then nothing will.
That was his best win

in fairness though RDA wasnt even considered a top contender then. He was seen as more a gatekeeper in the division. Following that loss RDA went on a great run which ended up with the belt. But often people commented that when he won it, if you had told them the previous year that RDA Would be champ, you would get laughed at

But thats not to take away Khabib's achievement. But its still enough for him to expect a title shot