The MMA thread

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I'm sure Khabib isn't happy but given that Aldo was even more deserving of a title shot and also got fecked over....

Raoul

Admin
Staff
That was his best win

in fairness though RDA wasnt even considered a top contender then. He was seen as more a gatekeeper in the division. Following that loss RDA went on a great run which ended up with the belt. But often people commented that when he won it, if you had told them the previous year that RDA Would be champ, you would get laughed at

But thats not to take away Khabib's achievement. But its still enough for him to expect a title shot
He's the number one contender in all the rankings. And its not as if he isn't being given a title shot on lack of merit - it's because Conor is bullying his way into the picture and the UFC is choosing money over merit.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
BJ Penn out of the main event in Malaysia

He should take the hint, his body is telling him not to return

Raoul

Admin
Staff
itll never change

its always been that way and always will
I'm glad you agree they are selling out to money over doing the right thing. The question is whether it is the correct thing to do given the lopsided disparity of earnings fighters make - where one fighter is making $40m this year and others are barely clearly 100k. This isn't about the reality that money is a driving factor in MMA, we already know it is. Its whether its fair, balanced, or sustainable in the long run, which of course it isn't.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
I'm glad you agree they are selling out to money over doing the right thing. The question is whether it is the correct thing to do given the lopsided disparity of earnings fighters make - where one fighter is making $40m this year and others are barely clearly 100k. This isn't about the reality that money is a driving factor in MMA, we already know it is. Its whether its fair, balanced, or sustainable in the long run, which of course it isn't.
If a fighter is making the company ridiculous sums of money of course they deserve to be paid accordingly

As for whats fair or not, it all depends. If this was a normal PPV I would say its a little unfair. But for the 1st in NYC they had to have him in the main event for a belt.

Oggmonster

Something we can all agree on is November is going to be an incredible month for the UFC. Ferguson/RDA opens up the month, then 205 a week later which is a stacked card, a week after that there seems to be two shows on the same night, an absolute cracker between Kim/Gunnar in NI and Bader/Nog in Brazil and it's all topped off to end the month with Rockhold/Jacare 2.
Definitely, be brilliant entertaining politics or not. Although I'm looking forward to it from this weekend on wards to be honest (mainly cos am going) hopefully Bisping wins. Another fight people say shouldn't be happening but meh I'm looking forward to it.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
If a fighter is making the company ridiculous sums of money of course they deserve to be paid accordingly

As for whats fair or not, it all depends. If this was a normal PPV I would say its a little unfair. But for the 1st in NYC they had to have him in the main event for a belt.
That's not how it should work. The UFC should have a profit sharing program where they distribute their revenues more evenly across the promotion. I don't mind Conor making a lot more than everyone, but a portion of the extra revenues should be given to the other 99% of fighters who make a small fraction of Conor's paycheck. Instead of fighters getting 10/10 they should get 50/50 - instead of fighters who previously made 100/100 they should get 250/250 etc. Currently you have one or two fighters like Conor and Rousey taking a vast majority of the loot while the likes of Dana and previously the Fertitias, were lining their pockets to the tune of hundreds of millions while the common fighters languished with struggling to make ends meet. I'm sure Conor can do with 3 instead of 10 Rolls Royces and Lamborghinis and Dana can do with a few less $6m high stakes poker games at Caesars to help the fighters out.

Oggmonster

Cringe....

Have you got UFC on Snapchat or Instagram? They did a whole tour of the ground and the summary was basically "Well Bisping supports United so we'll get Henderson in!" Even asked for followers at the end!!

JP77

Definitely, be brilliant entertaining politics or not. Although I'm looking forward to it from this weekend on wards to be honest (mainly cos am going) hopefully Bisping wins. Another fight people say shouldn't be happening but meh I'm looking forward to it.
Henderson getting a title shot is a joke but at least there's a story behind this one (the history between him and Bisping and this being Henderson's retirement fight). Joke or not though again, I'm pumped for the fight itself. Can't stand Henderson, felt that way for a long time as well and honestly hope Bisping destroys him, even more so after Henderson admitted to throwing that extra punch despite knowing Bisping was unconscious, which incredibly some fans found brilliant and funny which was pretty pathetic.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Henderson getting a title shot is a joke but at least there's a story behind this one (the history between him and Bisping and this being Henderson's retirement fight). Joke or not though again, I'm pumped for the fight itself. Can't stand Henderson, felt that way for a long time as well and honestly hope Bisping destroys him, even more so after Henderson admitted to throwing that extra punch despite knowing Bisping was unconscious, which incredibly some fans found brilliant and funny.
That was fecking disgusting, tbh.

Oggmonster

Henderson getting a title shot is a joke but at least there's a story behind this one (the history between him and Bisping and this being Henderson's retirement fight). Joke or not though again, I'm pumped for the fight itself. Can't stand Henderson, felt that way for a long time as well and honestly hope Bisping destroys him, even more so after Henderson admitted to throwing that extra punch despite knowing Bisping was unconscious, which incredibly some fans found brilliant and funny which was pretty pathetic.
Yeah I think Hendo's a dick as well. Hope Bisping does it, he probably will but I'm always in 2 minds when it's a fighter I like...especially if I back them they normally lose.

Oggmonster

Surely they won't go to Manila at all after the stories that the fighters could get passports taken off them for failing drug tests etc? It hardly sounds like number 1 place to send a bunch of fighters.

Pscholes18

"I think that boy is corny." I'll be rooting for Gall, I like this kid...although I think Sage will probably win.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Don't like Sage at all, hope Gall wins.

Though the fact that I care at all is an achievement on the UFC's part I guess.

Oggmonster

It's a weird fight, Sage has looked worse when he's fought better opposition and his weaknesses play right into Gall's strengths but then Gall has fought no one of any note.

What's everyone think for 204? Is anyone else going? Still bit pissed off with the timing of it all but will just have to sleep through the day I reckon.

Oggmonster

Any ideas/speculation/rumours around what this thing McGregor has going on and will announce after 205
Dana White has alluded to it in plenty of interviews

Apparently his missus is giving birth to a little johnny come lately if this guy is to be believed

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
It's a weird fight, Sage has looked worse when he's fought better opposition and his weaknesses play right into Gall's strengths but then Gall has fought no one of any note.

What's everyone think for 204? Is anyone else going? Still bit pissed off with the timing of it all but will just have to sleep through the day I reckon.
Excuse me? I think you'll find he soundly defeated the longest reigning WWE Champion of the modern era.