The MMA thread

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
nah, Bisping won 3 rounds for sure. Let's be objective here. Even if it was 2-2 and 1 toss-up, you gotta give to the Champ.

The challenger needs to win by a clear margin to deserve the belt in my opinion.

edit. Mousasi is a funny guy.

fontaine

Ful Ful Ful Member Full Member Full Member
nah, Bisping won 3 rounds for sure. Let's be objective here. Even if it was 2-2 and 1 toss-up, you gotta give to the Champ.

The challenger needs to win by a clear margin to deserve the belt in my opinion.

edit. Mousasi is a funny guy.
yeah but Hendo's round was 10-8

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
No Bisping at the post fight presser. Assume he's gone for a medical check?

Oggmonster

Great event for me from start to finish really enjoyed it. Glad Bisping won and I thought it was a faisr result, genuinely don't get where the unfair bit comes from really. Hendo did well but really can't see how he deserved to win...I haven't watched it back though and have had about 3 hours sleep so I may change my mind later.

JP77

I got Hendo but judges will gift it to Bisping again.
Hendo was never going to get a decision in Manchester he would of had to ko Bisping. Second time Ive seen this bullshit. Unanimous decision is disrespectful and the third score was a fecking joke.
Travesty of a decision. Hendo got robbed. UFC is as bad as boxing now.
Don't be ridiculous.

Henderson scoring two big shots while Bisping controlled 20 or so minutes of the 25 minute fight means Henderson deserves the win? Bisping controlled almost every single round while Henderson spent the majority of the fight looking for that one big shot.

Even calling this a travesty or a joke is pretty embarrassing to be perfectly honest. Bisping won that fight, some of the hate for him is ridiculous.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Cracking event

Flew by

Hopefully Brad Pickett will retire now. That was tough to watch

Great upset from Jimi Manuawa

Post USADA Vitor is hilariously weak

Raoul

Admin
Staff
The scoring was fair although perhaps slightly friendly towards Bisping. I thought round one could've been a 10-8 after the near KO and ground and pound. Bisping dominated the other rounds on strike volume, bar the knock downs and ground sequences where Hendo had the advantage.

rednev

There is non worthy of worship except God
It's satisfying to see the drug cheat Dan Henderson bowing out with a defeat. Bisping's record is phenomenal. The only fighter to beat him who hasn't turned out to be a proven drug cheat is Luke Rockhold, and Bisping went on to defeat him. It's no coincidence that Bisping has become the champ now that the UFC is at least partially cracking down on excessive PED use. If it had always been clean we would be talking about Bisping as one of the GOATs. But better late than never. It's good to see the good guys come out on top and hopefully Bisping will dominate for a good while yet.

cyberman

I thought it was fair. Dan spent most of the fight with his back 3 feet from the cage getting smacked over and over again.
The strikes landed must have been insanely in Bispings favour.

shabz

Was at the card this morning/last night. What a card, crowd was wild all the way through. Not watched the main event on tv yet but I gave it Bisping 48-47, Hendo got a great reception at the end as did Vitor who I think needs to retire also.

Sylar

Was at the card this morning/last night. What a card, crowd was wild all the way through. Not watched the main event on tv yet but I gave it Bisping 48-47, Hendo got a great reception at the end as did Vitor who I think needs to retire also.
Was awesome to see the crowd still loud and rowdy at 5am especially given how long these UFC events can be.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
It's satisfying to see the drug cheat Dan Henderson bowing out with a defeat. Bisping's record is phenomenal. The only fighter to beat him who hasn't turned out to be a proven drug cheat is Luke Rockhold, and Bisping went on to defeat him. It's no coincidence that Bisping has become the champ now that the UFC is at least partially cracking down on excessive PED use. If it had always been clean we would be talking about Bisping as one of the GOATs. But better late than never. It's good to see the good guys come out on top and hopefully Bisping will dominate for a good while yet.
Yeah great to see an English athlete do well for once. Bisping's ability to narrowly avoid getting knocked out by a 46 year old in round one should cement his GOAT status.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
On another front, can't quite tell if Manuwa was impressive or if OSP was just complete crap last night. If Manuwa was impressive, then he has a future at LHW.

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
Bisping being considered of the greats, TRT or not, is laughable. He's not elite. His striking is bang average.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Bisping being considered of the greats, TRT or not, is laughable. He's not elite. His striking is bang average.
It's amazing really. He doesn't hit hard, hasn't got a great chin and his ground game leaves a lot to be desired. Kudos to him for achieving so much with so little. He's got where he is with nothing but a big heart and a phenomenal work ethic.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
It's amazing really. He doesn't hit hard, hasn't got a great chin and his ground game leaves a lot to be desired. Kudos to him for achieving so much with so little. He's got where he is with nothing but a big heart and a phenomenal work ethic.
Bisping does have heart I'll give him that. He's probably one of the top three fighters in the UFC who just keeps going and going.

Manny

Grammar Police
Bisping's stock has certainly fallen. Poor performance and despite all that experience he's accrued, he was still making similar mistakes to the first fight. I'm surprised Hendo only dropped him twice. Could easily have been scored for Hendo.

I had hoped Parillo had turned a corner with him after Rockhold and Silva but no, old habits die hard.

Was awesome to see the crowd still loud and rowdy at 5am especially given how long these UFC events can be.
Crowd was awesome. I imagine it was largely the hardcore MMA fans that would have shown up to a card in the early hours of the morning and that's probably why Hendo got a great send off.

On another front, can't quite tell if Manuwa was impressive or if OSP was just complete crap last night. If Manuwa was impressive, then he has a future at LHW.
Manuwa was decent but the manner of the finish seems to have elevated his performance.

Can't see Jimi cracking top 5 without moving to the States. I'm hoping he doesn't make the same mistake Bisping and Hardy made by being stubborn and not moving sooner in their careers.

Pogue Mahone

Bisping does have heart I'll give him that. He's probably one of the top three fighters in the UFC who just keeps going and going.
It's amazing. He's had a nightmare with injuries too. One of his eyeballs has been filled with some sort of oil so he can still see out of it. Was a hail mary intervention which meant the end of his career if it didn't take.

JP77

Bisping has plenty of talent, the idea he doesn't seems slightly bizarre considering for years upon years he's been ranked among the best middleweight fighters in MMA. You don't fight at a high level like that unless you're talented. GOAT discussion? Of course not. He's not an Anderson Silva but he's always been an upper level fighter just short of the top guns. Consistently fought at a high level throughour the majority of his career.

There's actually an argument to be had in his favour in regards to a few of the fights he lost as mentioned too. Henderson, Belfort, Sonnen (a fight which was ridiculously close) and Wanderlai were all caught to be cheating and clearly had been for large portions of their careers. Outside of those he's lost to Rashad, who was an absolute beast at the time. Kennedy, where the layoff for Bisping clearly had a big effect on him and then Rockhold, who prior to losing to Bisping looked absolutely incredible. Bisping has only lost to the absolute best of the best for the most part.

I don't get the hatred some have for him. I get maybe not liking him because he's been quite cocky at times in his career (which was clearly to sell fights on most occasions), but to question his talent is a strange one. He's not a great in the mould of a Silva, GSP etc but he's a very good fighter with a very good all around MMA game that's maintained himself at a high level consistently for a long period and eventually earned the right to be called the champion. Becoming an underrated talent.

justboy68

He's very talented at knowing how to win rounds, as silly as that sounds. That scoring awareness is actually something a lot of fighters can struggle with when they are in the heat of the moment. Bisping has a high output and knows how to stay busy enough to get the points on the cards. I mean it is quite unusual how often he ends the fight looking like the more battered fighter, yet at the same time deservingly getting the decision in most cases.

JP77

Ok, so what do you think he is particularly talented at? In what aspect of MMA is he way ahead of his peers?

Not sure why you mention hatred. I like the guy!
A lot of that wasn't aimed at you, certainly not the hatred part, just people in general who have been downplaying him for a while.

I mentioned in my above post, he's got a very good all around MMA game. Could say he's not great at any one thing but he's good at almost everything. There's no argument here about if he's ahead of the other top talent in certain areas, my point is some people underrating him and giving him no credit. Again, you don't fight at this level as consistently as he has against the people he has and eventually win the title unless you're pretty damn good.

Pogue Mahone

He's very talented at knowing how to win rounds, as silly as that sounds. That scoring awareness is actually something a lot of fighters can struggle with when they are in the heat of the moment. Bisping has a high output and knows how to stay busy enough to get the points on the cards. I mean it is quite unusual how often he ends the fight looking like the more battered fighter, yet at the same time deservingly getting the decision in most cases.
Actually, that's a good point. Hadn't thought of that before.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
A lot of people criticising the ref for a late stoppage in the Perry/Roberts fight. Didn't see it, was it bad?

MoneyMay

Travesty of a decision. Hendo got robbed. UFC is as bad as boxing now.
Nowhere near. Round 1 Hendo - 10-9 as it wasn't pure domination but it's obviously one of those things that's subjective. McGregor-Diaz 2 (Round 1) is a 10-8 for me - that's pure domination. Round 2 - Bisping was comfortable throughout until he got rocked by a H bomb. As I said last night, one powerbomb like that doesn't guarantee Hendo round 2 when he was being dominated for most of it. Also, Hendo failed to capitalise on the knockdown. Round 3 and 4 were Bisping's, with Round 5 going to Hendo. It was a volume striking game by Bisping and he came out on top.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
A lot of people criticising the ref for a late stoppage in the Perry/Roberts fight. Didn't see it, was it bad?
Roberts was dropped hard I mean he was clearly knocked out on his back but the ref let Perry hit him a few more times on the ground.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Nowhere near. Round 1 Hendo - 10-9 as it wasn't pure domination but it's obviously one of those things that's subjective. McGregor-Diaz 2 (Round 1) is a 10-8 for me - that's pure domination. Round 2 - Bisping was comfortable throughout until he got rocked by a H bomb. As I said last night, one powerbomb like that doesn't guarantee Hendo round 2 when he was being dominated for most of it. Also, Hendo failed to capitalise on the knockdown. Round 3 and 4 were Bisping's, with Round 5 going to Hendo. It was a volume striking game by Bisping and he came out on top.
A knockdown, ground and pound and a near TKO in round one could've easily been scored a 10-8 imo. The difference between last night and McGregor-Diaz 2 is that Conor didn't attempt any sort of ground and pound follow up and there was discussion later on as to whether Nate was egging Conor to knock him down as a ruse to take the fight to the mat. The Bisping-Hendo fight was pretty close to being stopped in the first.