The MMA thread

Oggmonster

What's with the sudden fascination with Artem ? He's generally terrible at MMA.
I'm not a massive fan of him as a fighter, he seems a decent enough guy and knows his abilities though. He was obviously helped in terms of exposure because of Conor but embraced it and has got a good career out of it.

Luke1995

Whether you like Thomas or not, he knows his stuff...there's no way Chael is going to reply to this

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
There wasn't even anything wrong with what Thomas initially said, Sonnen wasn't a top tier of all time fighter. Strange of Chael to specifically respond to what Thomas said when I'd have thought it was a fairly common opinion?

Luke1995

There wasn't even anything wrong with what Thomas initially said, Sonnen wasn't a top tier of all time fighter. Strange of Chael to specifically respond to what Thomas said when I'd have thought it was a fairly common opinion?
Fighters can be very sensitive. Who knows what's going through his mind in retirement. It's funny that just a simple check of facts can kill his speech. Chael has a story of telling half-truths

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Luke Thomas and Helwani seem to have been rendered a bit irrelevant since the ESPN deal kicked in.
On the contrary. Him and that asshole Brett Okamoto (and anyone from the MMA world being hired by ESPN) have seen their stock rise quickly thanks to the ESPN deal.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
On the contrary. Him and that asshole Brett Okamoto (and anyone from the MMA world being hired by ESPN) have seen their stock rise quickly thanks to the ESPN deal.
The difference between Ariel and Okamoto is that Ariel, due to his years of wumming and generally attempting to draw attention to himself by asking provocative questions, has managed to get locked out by Dana. Okamoto has access to all the fighters and is often featured as the lead interviewer, while Ariel has been reduced to his dopey show with Sonnen.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Just saw that Thomas has left MMAfighting.com. They seem to be struggling badly to keep their journalists.

Luke1995

By the way, White and Helwani weren't best friends at some point ? Looks like the guy really hates Ariel now

George Owen

Although I can't stand CC, he's being shafted there. Great streak, interim champion, overlooked. The UFC way :lol:
Yep, classic Dana. He got fecked for the Tyron fight first, now this one. Pretty sure it has something to do with Colby asking for more money to fight Tyron.

The difference between Ariel and Okamoto is that Ariel, due to his years of wumming and generally attempting to draw attention to himself by asking provocative questions, has managed to get locked out by Dana. Okamoto has access to all the fighters and is often featured as the lead interviewer, while Ariel has been reduced to his dopey show with Sonnen.
Oh yeah, true that. Okamoto has been the most benefited.

But Ariel still doing very good. He doesn't get the exclusives anymore (outside his show), but he keeps showing up at my timeline all the time. Got a feeling maybe ESPN will groom him to cover other sports too?

Oggmonster

Yep, classic Dana. He got fecked for the Tyron fight first, now this one. Pretty sure it has something to do with Colby asking for more money to fight Tyron.

Oh yeah, true that. Okamoto has been the most benefited.

But Ariel still doing very good. He doesn't get the exclusives anymore (outside his show), but he keeps showing up at my timeline all the time. Got a feeling maybe ESPN will groom him to cover other sports too?

I think Helwani wants to cover other sports, I read somewhere that he was never massively into MMA he just spotted that there was a niche in the market for someone like him years ago and took advantage of it.

I never used to mind him but he really got intolerable over the last few years, it's ever since he got a few big cheers at press conferences. He constantly tries to make a WWF style narrative in everything and is now a huge exaggerated version of himself, used to quite like the MMA Hour but not listened to anything he's done in ages. Best thing Dana did was make him cry.

Luke1995

This doesn't look good. If you check the comments section, everyone is against him.

RedFish

Tying himself to ESPN no doubt has made him dollars. He'll always be an agenda-driven, controversy seeking slime ball to me though. I can't stand anything about him. Yuk.

A few of the MMA Fighting crew have gone over.
Shaun Al -Shatti, Marc Raimondi have gone too I think. (Their excellent A side podcast is manned by others now).

Luke1995

Can't see past Ngannou. This guy should be amashing everyone. Truly scary.
I'm not as hyped about him since the Stipe fight. The UFC didn't do us any favors by saying he was the mma version of Mike Tyson.

JDS is a very technical striker, he could knock Ngannou out or pick him apart from distance. I have to pick Ngannou too though.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
JDS will lose I think. He's better technically but he gets hit a lot and you can't get hit against Ngannou.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Yeah...it happened again!
Thing is, all these wins he's racking up does nothing for me to believe he has what it takes to beat DC or Stipe. This is exactly how he rose to a title shot before, battering fighters that stood with him but once he meets DC or Stipe, who will take him down, I wonder if he's worked on his ground game enough.

George Owen

Thing is, all these wins he's racking up does nothing for me to believe he has what it takes to beat DC or Stipe. This is exactly how he rose to a title shot before, battering fighters that stood with him but once he meets DC or Stipe, who will take him down, I wonder if he's worked on his ground game enough.
The Stipe fight was a fluke. Ngannou lost that fight in the first minutes. No way a rematch goes the same way.

Last night catched the last 3 fights in some bar. Good job by Benavidez, undeniable next title shot.

Ngannou did as expected. Touches you one and that's it.

Andersons Dietician

Watched a video of it on YouTube today and I don’t know if the sound was enhanced or something but when those two dudes threw my god :houllier: normally you don’t hear it as crisp as that but damn. Dos Santos threw for the fences and missed and got clipped.
Those leg kicks they were both throwing as well. I live in constant fear of a leg kick now but I imagine my leg would snap if one of those dudes threw one at me.

Luke1995

All he needs to do is stop the takedowns from happening. Make DC or Stipe stand with him despite the attempts to avoid it.

Oggmonster

I agree with the point but I think this current run of 3 wins is better than his previous rise just cos of who he has fought.

I don't think DC goes anywhere near the fight, if it's Ngannou next then I reckon DC retires with a win (or tries and gets a Jones fight) I can't see him going near Ngannou

All he needs to do is stop the takedowns from happening. Make DC or Stipe stand with him despite the attempts to avoid it.
Easier said than done in fairness, he looked lost against Stipe on the ground, didn't even try and get out of it just lay down any time it happened and hoped for the best.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Watched a video of it on YouTube today and I don’t know if the sound was enhanced or something but when those two dudes threw my god :houllier: normally you don’t hear it as crisp as that but damn. Dos Santos threw for the fences and missed and got clipped.
Those leg kicks they were both throwing as well. I live in constant fear of a leg kick now but I imagine my leg would snap if one of those dudes threw one at me.
Nope, they SLAPPED.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
WTF :houllier:

Yeah thought that was a strange one. He's the exact type of fighter Dana wanks all over. Maybe had something to do with his tweet and subsequent pull out. UFC are known to be petty like that.

Oggmonster

Anyone from UK buying the card out of interest? It's a shame cos it's a good card but can't justify paying twice personally especially cos of time it's on