The MMA thread

Ballache

Supports
Martial
How do you explain yesterday performance then?

He may have a high ceiling but surely the very best can’t also have such a low ceiling?
I can tell you're new to this.
This is fighting, it happens. At times you go in 100% but things just don't fall into place on the night and when you're fighting at the highest, you have no room for error.
Watch his fights against Romero.

RedFish

If he beats Costa I can't see anyone else in the division beating him. At that point, he will face pressure to move up. I hear him and Jones don't like one another so that may be an option down the road (assuming Jones himself is still at LHW).
Problem is, Jones is too big and too strong, and too long. Izzy looks slight against Gastelum and Whittaker, though he compensates for that through skill and timing. Jones though, is equally skillful and the longer fighter by a good 5 inches. Those oblique kicks again will be a massive problem for Israel. Can't see how Izzy could win this fight tbh.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Problem is, Jones is too big and too strong, and too long. Izzy looks slight against Gastelum and Whittaker, though he compensates for that through skill and timing. Jones though, is equally skillful and the longer fighter by a good 5 inches. Those oblique kicks again will be a massive problem for Israel. Can't see how Izzy could win this fight tbh.
Obviously Adesanya would be adding considerable weight if he moved up to where he would be at 205. It would be similar to the move Overeem made from LHW to HW. Also, Adesanya's reach is only 4 inches less than Jones'.

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
Sad so many are attacking his personality. He's a good guy with star quality. Better than that McGregor shit - Izzy can actually fight!
Come on now, man. If you think it was ok to not like Conor why would it be any different for Adesanya? They have both very unlikeable personalities for most normal people. In Israel's defence though it's less shenanigans but on the other hand he's much more cringey. He's actually more cringe than triple c, as with Cejudo you know it's all a joke.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I can tell you're new to this.
This is fighting, it happens. At times you go in 100% but things just don't fall into place on the night and when you're fighting at the highest, you have no room for error.
Watch his fights against Romero.
Yes I am relatively new to MMA. Thanks for explanation.

Will watch some of his previous fights

Last edited:

RedFish

Come on now, man. If you think it was ok to not like Conor why would it be any different for Adesanya? They have both very unlikeable personalities for most normal people. In Israel's defence though it's less shenanigans but on the other hand he's much more cringey. He's actually more cringe than triple c, as with Cejudo you know it's all a joke.
Honestly I don't find him cringe. I find him a little disinhibited, but not gross or nasty like Conor, but colourful. He's honest to a fault, tends to be brash, and lacks tact but overall he's different to the other fighters on the roster, largely because he fights like a fecking ninja. It's not just me mate, he's really fecking popular and for good reason.

Andersons Dietician

How do you explain yesterday performance then?

He may have a high ceiling but surely the very best can’t also have such a low ceiling?
Personally I think a lot are overhyping him. He’s good but he’s good in what was a pretty poor division.

Souza and Romero were probably the only people that were really good and even then Souza questionable of his quality at the time and Eeked out 2 decisions against Romero.

Lost to Wonderboy but that was at Welterweight.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Personally I think a lot are overhyping him. He’s good but he’s good in what was a pretty poor division.

Souza and Romero were probably the only people that were really good and even then Souza questionable of his quality at the time and Eeked out 2 decisions against Romero.

Lost to Wonderboy but that was at Welterweight.
Middleweight has been stacked for years now. Weidman, Rockhold, Souza, Romero etc. Whitaker didn't become very good until he beat Brunson a few years ago in Melbourne. He was pretty hit or miss before that.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Honestly I don't find him cringe. I find him a little disinhibited, but not gross or nasty like Conor, but colourful. He's honest to a fault, tends to be brash, and lacks tact but overall he's different to the other fighters on the roster, largely because he fights like a fecking ninja. It's not just me mate, he's really fecking popular and for good reason.
Yeah. Adesanya is very entertaining and likeable and also seems to have the chops to match. Super cool ninja from old skool VDO games.

If he can win a few more consecutive bouts, he’ll make Dana a lot of money and also attract new fans to the sport.

Andersons Dietician

Middleweight has been stacked for years now. Weidman, Rockhold, Souza, Romero etc. Whitaker didn't become very good until he beat Brunson a few years ago in Melbourne. He was pretty hit or miss before that.
You name those names but Souza, Whitaker and Rockhold were all going through a shaky time and to boot he didn’t fight Rockhold or Weidman . He’s not actually fought that much at the weight. He landed in it at its decline and then been injured for a lot of it whilst still somehow holding the belt and not being stripped.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
You name those names but Souza, Whitaker and Rockhold were all going through a shaky time and to boot he didn’t fight Rockhold or Weidman . He’s not actually fought that much at the weight. He landed in it at its decline and then been injured for a lot of it whilst still somehow holding the belt and not being stripped.
Weidman was coming off beating Anderson Silva (twice) and Rockhold beat Weidman. The power dynamics in the division was around them Jacare and Yoel at the time. Anytime you've got 4 or more people in the division vying for the belt (plus Whitaker) it can be considered pretty competitive.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Israel was taking shots to land them. I'm sure he'll change that up when facing Muscle Sponge Borrachinha because that would end his night very quickly.

Andersons Dietician

Weidman was coming off beating Anderson Silva (twice) and Rockhold beat Weidman. The power dynamics in the division was around them Jacare and Yoel at the time. Anytime you've got 4 or more people in the division vying for the belt (plus Whitaker) it can be considered pretty competitive.
That was in 2013 he fought Anderson. By the time Whitaker was in any sort of position to challenge the top guys Weidman had lost 3 times on the bounce and Rockhold lost to Bisping in 2016. And Rob fought Souza 2017. He came in to the division as it was on the decline.

He’s also been hampered by lots of injuries making him unavailable for a lot of fights because he’s fought very little over the years. I wouldn’t rate him as some great. He is good but nothing really all that special.

Last edited:

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
For what he's touted as, Adesayna gets hit far too much at the moment to be the second coming of a prime Anderson. He's susceptible to a doubled-up jab or hook at the moment, too, as he commits reflexively and probably trusts both his chin (and/or rolling with the punch) and counter power to win these exchanges, but it's incredibly risky and I wouldn't fancy that carrying through challengers as a champion.

Think I mentioned his propensity for getting hit in here before now; Whittaker, with those wild, over-committed swings, did Adesayna a favour and I feel as though with more composure and less inclination to try and put on a show for his home crowd, he could've presented a more complex opponent than a rock 'em sock 'em robot who was priming himself to get sparked out as he did. Kudos to Israel for indeed exploiting the openings, but Whittaker made it as easy a night as it could've been in his hastiness.

I don't think Romero has the stamina or output to bother Adesayna, personally; if the latter uses his length and kicks, Romero will be reduced to a few explosive shots per round and Adesayna deals with those expertly.

Costa and his barrelling barrages presents a different problem, whatever drugs he's on have him peaked in output and he is relentless whilst throwing non-stop haymakers - if Adesayna can knock this guy out, or even make him fight at slower pace (show him respect), it'll be impressive. It's one hell of a test for a newly-crowned champ, and it speaks volumes for him that he'd take that kind of risk off the bat.

re. Jones: If they do ever fight, I think he'll beat Jones. Not because he's a better fighter, but because Jones will want to beat him at his own games, and in terms of hands (throwing punches), Adesayna is light years ahead of Jones and will actually humiliate him in any exchange of that type. If Jones went into the contest utilising all his assets on top of his size, weight and experience advantage, he'd wrap this kid up quite easily in the pocket, but Jones hasn't fought with regard and respect for an opponent since dismantling DC, more playing around in there and showing everyone how brilliant he is by beating others at their own game, which would be a mistake if he goes for kickboxing (not Thai) against Adesayna.

All eyes are definitely on this kid's next bout, though, and say what you will, his willingness to step into high risk zones both figuratively and literally will catapult him into elite referencing sooner rather than later if he comes through as the victor. He definitely doesn't look like a cherry-picker or someone who will duck any opponent and that's one hell of a way to go about being a champion.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Who, the guy with the glasses? That's Cejudos ex wrestling coach Eric Alberracin if that's what you mean.:)
Oh shit - they’ve split up?! Damn. I may start liking him then. He seemed like an annoying bastard when with Cejudo.

Oggmonster

I thought he'd left to coach a load of Brazilian fighters but maybe he's still with Cejudo?
They were all sat with each other at the event. I think Cejudo still trains with him (and Costa) I saw an interview where he was talking about how good Costa is in training so just assuming off that.

RedFish

For what he's touted as, Adesayna gets hit far too much at the moment to be the second coming of a prime Anderson. He's susceptible to a doubled-up jab or hook at the moment, too, as he commits reflexively and probably trusts both his chin (and/or rolling with the punch) and counter power to win these exchanges, but it's incredibly risky and I wouldn't fancy that carrying through challengers as a champion.

Think I mentioned his propensity for getting hit in here before now; Whittaker, with those wild, over-committed swings, did Adesayna a favour and I feel as though with more composure and less inclination to try and put on a show for his home crowd, he could've presented a more complex opponent than a rock 'em sock 'em robot who was priming himself to get sparked out as he did. Kudos to Israel for indeed exploiting the openings, but Whittaker made it as easy a night as it could've been in his hastiness.

I don't think Romero has the stamina or output to bother Adesayna, personally; if the latter uses his length and kicks, Romero will be reduced to a few explosive shots per round and Adesayna deals with those expertly.

Costa and his barrelling barrages presents a different problem, whatever drugs he's on have him peaked in output and he is relentless whilst throwing non-stop haymakers - if Adesayna can knock this guy out, or even make him fight at slower pace (show him respect), it'll be impressive. It's one hell of a test for a newly-crowned champ, and it speaks volumes for him that he'd take that kind of risk off the bat.

re. Jones: If they do ever fight, I think he'll beat Jones. Not because he's a better fighter, but because Jones will want to beat him at his own games, and in terms of hands (throwing punches), Adesayna is light years ahead of Jones and will actually humiliate him in any exchange of that type. If Jones went into the contest utilising all his assets on top of his size, weight and experience advantage, he'd wrap this kid up quite easily in the pocket, but Jones hasn't fought with regard and respect for an opponent since dismantling DC, more playing around in there and showing everyone how brilliant he is by beating others at their own game, which would be a mistake if he goes for kickboxing (not Thai) against Adesayna.

All eyes are definitely on this kid's next bout, though, and say what you will, his willingness to step into high risk zones both figuratively and literally will catapult him into elite referencing sooner rather than later if he comes through as the victor. He definitely doesn't look like a cherry-picker or someone who will duck any opponent and that's one hell of a way to go about being a champion.
Not many picked Israel to beat Whittaker. Problem is envisioning the projected development of someone who is an established kickboxer of the highest order, who has around 20 months of MMA experience starting from Feb 2018.

He's literally improving at a rate where even now, as the undisputed MW champion, he is still finding the limits of what he can and what he can't do. Who didn't fear that Gastelum would knock his block off, or Whittaker to do similar ( after all the consensus here seems to be he is a souped up version of Kelvin, better in almost every facet) i believe Kelvin smashes Whittaker btw.

Obviously Costa poses a major threat, just that threat is purely physical. Adesanya can deal with power, and until his opponents start respecting that and not wade in kamikaze style, then the likelihood is that they will get caught and knocked the feck out.

Jones. I have to disagree. To big, too strong, too long. It's not a fair fight. Jones is big for LHW. He could easily prove to HW and if he did, I bet he'd rip that division apart. I don't care if people.say he'll pile on the pounds, build up some muscle. Not the same. Look at Holloway vs Poirier. Look at Brook v GGG. I'd want Izzy to win, but I bet hed get systematically shut down and dealt with, with embarrassing ease.

Andersons Dietician

I liked his quote: “I wanna get him before Usada gets him”

Would like to see Gastelum vs Whittaker as I too think Gastelum would crush Whittaker but his fight with Adesanya was an absolute war so would be intriguing to see how he is now because he took a lot of damage that fight.

As for Adesanya facing Costa if he can get Costa to chase him and counter then I think he could get him late in the fight but Costa is just a scary dude and I wouldn’t write him off at all.

Jones I mean I’d love to see it just to see it but honestly think Jones would be too big and too good for him.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Not many picked Israel to beat Whittaker. Problem is envisioning the projected development of someone who is an established kickboxer of the highest order, who has around 20 months of MMA experience starting from Feb 2018.

He's literally improving at a rate where even now, as the undisputed MW champion, he is still finding the limits of what he can and what he can't do. Who didn't fear that Gastelum would knock his block off, or Whittaker to do similar ( after all the consensus here seems to be he is a souped up version of Kelvin, better in almost every facet) i believe Kelvin smashes Whittaker btw.
The reasoning has been that to stand up with him, for anyone, is suicide, and that their mission should be to wrestle and get him to the floor or into a maul fest. Outside of that, being touted as a potential elite striker, there should be very little talk of anyone knocking his block off in the division. My point with him has always been that he gets hit too many times for the type of elite level striker he is supposed to be and that will be costly if he doesn't tidy it up ASAP because all it takes is one poor roll with a punch for it to be a K.O. blow that needn't have happened if he is that elite a stand-up artist.

Obviously Costa poses a major threat, just that threat is purely physical. Adesanya can deal with power, and until his opponents start respecting that and not wade in kamikaze style, then the likelihood is that they will get caught and knocked the feck out.
It's a bit of an understatement to say it's purely physical when you've got someone pumped up to the eyeballs on whatever who is relentless, fast and powerful with stamina that doesn't make sense to go with it. IF Costa is natural (heh) he's an absolute freak of nature to be able to power that kind of muscle mass non-stop with no downtime (breathers) or let up in output, he can also take a punch and fire back and he'll be more than willing to throw to land in exchange. It's a huge task to take on - I'll be sold if Adesanya can handily put Costa away.

Jones. I have to disagree. To big, too strong, too long. It's not a fair fight. Jones is big for LHW. He could easily prove to HW and if he did, I bet he'd rip that division apart. I don't care if people.say he'll pile on the pounds, build up some muscle. Not the same. Look at Holloway vs Poirier. Look at Brook v GGG. I'd want Izzy to win, but I bet hed get systematically shut down and dealt with, with embarrassing ease.
Jones, I would wager, will/would go into a fight with Adesanya not looking to utilise any outset advantage - this is form for Jones as he looks to beat whatever is in front of him in their style, to their strengths, which is why I pointed out a pure kick-boxing bout is what I think he'd try and beat Adesanya with and not combine it with Thai or the myriad of wrestling skills he has. Jones is some distance from Adesanya when it comes to striking with his hands, but I bet that's what he'd try and do, which would be a big mistake.

Jones fighting like he should, and it's a non-contest, but he wouldn't.

Oggmonster

Hmmm, dunno what she does from here. Seems she will not be able to make 115 easily again if she knows this far in advance and she's not winning the title when Valentina is around.