The MMA thread

Luke1995

Israel X Costa

Cannonier X Winner of Gastelum-Till

Romero X Uriah Hall

Jones X Ngannou at HW since UFC looks like doing the DC-Stipe trilogy

Dream scenario for me

Luke1995

The worst for Whittaker is that he never actually won the championship in the cage.

First fight with Romero was for interim while Bisping was still champ. Second one the title wasn't oficially up for grabs.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
The worst for Whittaker is that he never actually won the championship in the cage.

First fight with Romero was for interim while Bisping was still champ. Second one the title wasn't oficially up for grabs.
Any man who survives Romero twice has my respect :lol:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Israel is amazing :drool::drool::drool:

Not sure i like the matchup with Costa for him though. He's the better fighter but the other guy's a monster, like Romero

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I like watching Israel fight but I just can't seem to like him overall. His attitude, stupid nickname, the way he speaks... I don't know what it is. He just seems cringe.

Oggmonster

I like watching Israel fight but I just can't seem to like him overall. His attitude, stupid nickname, the way he speaks... I don't know what it is. He just seems cringe.
Yeah I agree it all seems dead forced and cringing. He is great to watch though like you say. Very impressive last night, I think he beats Costa and we get the Gastelum fight again

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Not if Kelvin beats Till.
Kelvin vs Whitaker and Israel vs Costa are the next two big fights to make at MW.
Till isn’t quality enough to justify Gastelum getting a title shot imo. He would need to beat Whitaker, who is a better version of Gastelum (last night’s result notwithstanding). Kelvin v Rob would be a fun fight to watch if the schedules allow it to happen.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Think that does it for me tbf.

predator

Youth NITK
Adesanya is a great fighter but he is such an unlikeable character imo. I understand the importance of trash talk and egotism in UFC but the majority of fans do enjoy seeing a bit of altruism now and then, especially from the winner of such a big event.

If Whittaker won he would've been so complimentary and respectful towards Adesanya, whilst enjoying the moment. Adesanya however did whatever he did. It's just embarrassing if you ask me and tells you alot about the man.

Oggmonster

Till isn’t quality enough to justify Gastelum getting a title shot imo. He would need to beat Whitaker, who is a better version of Gastelum (last night’s result notwithstanding). Kelvin v Rob would be a fun fight to watch if the schedules allow it to happen.
That'd be a good fight especially with it probably being Costa Vs Adesanya in mean time.
Adesanya is a great fighter but he is such an unlikeable character imo. I understand the importance of trash talk and egotism in UFC but the majority of fans do enjoy seeing a bit of altruism now and then, especially from the winner of such a big event.

If Whittaker won he would've been so complimentary and respectful towards Adesanya, whilst enjoying the moment. Adesanya however did whatever he did. It's just embarrassing if you ask me and tells you alot about the man.

Yeah it was a bit much after the fight for me. I get he's promoting himself but he didn't really say anything slightly complimentary which is a bit shit. I get him being a dick to Costa bit just seems a bit of a knob really

Andersons Dietician

Whittaker was fighting like a wild man in that first round throwing everything with heat and lunging in. Don’t know who on earth thought that would be a great idea.

Love watching Adesanya though, the footwork, the movement, judging distance and that left hook was crazy, didn’t even land at any sort of extension or power but goes to show hit the button and it’s lights out.

Costa, man that is a scary dude. Hit don’t get hit with anything stupid and I’d back Adesanya to pick him apart but the power and if he puts the pressure on like he did against Romero for that first round he could break Adesanya.

Power vs Accuracy can’t wait for that one.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Feel bad for Rob. A good guy. I hope he can bounce back.
First time I’ve seen him fight. He looked very pedestrian. Thought he was lame. Not sure what all the previous hype was about.

On the other hand Israel Adesanya :drool: :D

Raoul

Admin
Staff
First time I’ve seen him fight. He looked very pedestrian. Thought he was lame. Not sure what all the previous hype was about.

Whitaker has been the best fighter in the division for a while now. It’s just that Adesanya is a potential goat caliber fighter who will likely remain on top for a number of years like Jones and A Silva before him.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Whitaker has been the best fighter in the division for a while now. It’s just that Adesanya is a potential goat caliber fighter who will likely remain on top for a number of years like Jones and A Silva before him.
So I've missed Whittaker at his best? Got it. Shall watch some of his previous fights.

Yeah, even to an untrained eye like mine, Adesanya gives off that GOAT type aura. It's the same energy in every sport: he just knows he's very good and always seems to know what to do.

predator

Youth NITK
These type of fights never give the loser enough credit. Simply put, these two are the best strikers you will see on planet earth in their weight division. They are both trying to take each others head off from the word go and ultimately one of them is going to lose. It's not a premeditated khabib mauling or a jon jones torture show, it's whoever is better on the night.

I think Whittaker had a bad night personally, he was a bit gung ho and Adesanya was more methodical and his chin is unreal. In a rematch I wouldn't be surprised to see Adesanya out cold or a repeat.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Saw a few smirking about Adesanya, even as far back as right after costa vs yoel ("imagine adesanya up against either green smiley"). No power and stuff like that, heh heh heh. Leaning back and still enough power to ko whittaker.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town

Whittaker beat Romero twice, once with a broken hand. He's awesome. Just had a bad night against a great opponent.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
So I've missed Whittaker at his best? Got it. Shall watch some of his previous fights.

Yeah, even to an untrained eye like mine, Adesanya gives off that GOAT type aura. It's the same energy in every sport: he just knows he's very good and always seems to know what to do.
Yeah check out the two Yoel Romero fights. That was Whitaker at his best. Romero is a fantastic fighter/wrestler and Rob came away with two wins.

RedFish

Saw a few smirking about Adesanya, even as far back as right after costa vs yoel ("imagine adesanya up against either green smiley"). No power and stuff like that, heh heh heh. Leaning back and still enough power to ko whittaker.
100% correct. 'Aim and fire'

Adesanya is getting better with each fight. He's been in MMA less than 2 years and is schooling veterans.

I remember watching first watching Jon Jones and being mesmerized by his movement, angles of attack, vicious elbows and spinning shit. Same kinda feeling with Israel.

Sad so many are attacking his personality. He's a good guy with star quality. Better than that McGregor shit - Izzy can actually fight!

Ballache

Supports
Martial

You need to watch his fights at MW. He's easily one of the best fighters in the UFC. He didn't perform yesterday though.

RedFish

Yep. His ceiling is I don't know, high!! Far higher than anyone else in the MW division. That's why I'm so excited to see this kid fight. These types of fighters just don't come around very often. We"re lucky. We get to witness the journey...

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
You need to watch his fights at MW. He's easily one of the best fighters in the UFC. He didn't perform yesterday though.
How do you explain yesterday performance then?

He may have a high ceiling but surely the very best can’t also have such a low ceiling?

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
100% correct. 'Aim and fire'

Adesanya is getting better with each fight. He's been in MMA less than 2 years and is schooling veterans.

I remember watching first watching Jon Jones and being mesmerized by his movement, angles of attack, vicious elbows and spinning shit. Same kinda feeling with Israel.

Sad so many are attacking his personality. He's a good guy with star quality. Better than that McGregor shit - Izzy can actually fight!
I’ve watched a lot of Adesanya’s previous kickboxing fights on YouTube. He has such charisma, confidence and is deadly.

am sure his MMA will get better as he advances his ground and take down skills.

RedFish

He may have a high ceiling but surely the very best can’t also have such a low ceiling?
Whittaker don't do much wrong. He looked sharp as feck, powerful and scary quite frankly. What he didn't anticipate is his opponent operating on a different level to him.

Not many will stand there in the pocket with Whittaker and evade and counter with such precision. Not many can do that. That's why he's risen to the top so quickly. No one has figured him out yet.

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout

They can when the people they are fighting are also amongst the very best. Look at Aldo vs Mcgregor, Stipe in the first DC fight, Ngannou vs Stipe...

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Yep. His ceiling is I don't know, high!! Far higher than anyone else in the MW division. That's why I'm so excited to see this kid fight. These types of fighters just don't come around very often. We"re lucky. We get to witness the journey...
If he beats Costa I can't see anyone else in the division beating him. At that point, he will face pressure to move up. I hear him and Jones don't like one another so that may be an option down the road (assuming Jones himself is still at LHW).