The MMA thread

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
He hasn'tsaid anything though.
He's corny trying to hype himself but where are these vicious insults that fans pretend he says?
He came in rattling cages and being a heel, which subsequently raised his profile and got him right in the mix with x amount of fighters wanting to hurt him. The way he conducted himself meant he had to back up his antics.

He's been a terrible heel thus far and I doubt he can keep his schtick up now he's looked so unimpressive since entering UFC.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
:lol: What does this say about Robbie Lawler ?

I was thinking about that actually. I wonder what he's thinking about the subsequent performances.

I think Lawler took a lot of this guy's tank though, just as he effectively ruined McDonald

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I think Askern is a bit better than people are giving him credit for, although he is clearly not good enough to be a UFC champ. He strikes me more as a mid-tier "has been" that Dana can leverage for promotional purposes and to fill out cards to make them a bit more interesting to viewers.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I think Askern is a bit better than people are giving him credit for, although he is clearly not good enough to be a UFC champ. He strikes me more as a mid-tier "has been" that Dana can leverage for promotional purposes and to fill out cards to make them a bit more interesting to viewers.
But that's not what he came in to do and it's a huge fall from grace, especially if he loses three on the spin.

Ran his mouth, got Dana to sit up and take notice or treat him like a top bracket fighter and has failed to deliver.

The other heels have been in wars and, for as much as people might dislike them, they are forced to acknowledge their ability to back their antics/words.

Oggmonster

:lol:

I'm fairly sure he did that for some cheap wrestling heat in order to bring viewers over to TNTs new wrestling promotion AEW.

He's currently in a stable over there and his comrades were at the event. They actually cut a wrestling promo just before his fight :lol:

Jesus christ that was painful...long gone are the days of The Rock and Stone Cold!

Think people are being slightly harsh on Askren, he did well to survive in the Lawler fight in all honesty, the Masvidal one is an absolute freak occurrence in a fight as well. He probably isn't the top level of UFC that's evident but he's equally not some bum. I dunno where he goes from here, I dunno if they run the Lawler fight back...I agree with the sentiment he may be fighting some promising fighters as he has name value still if/when they win.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
The overly inflated balloon animal is out, the stoopid juice monkey. :rolleyes:

Such a shame. that fight was gonna be fireworks. I wonder who gonna take his place now. I hope it's Romero.

Dana probably praying for Till to win vs Gastelum though... he would set him up vs Izzy right away.

Oggmonster

Such a shame. that fight was gonna be fireworks. I wonder who gonna take his place now. I hope it's Romero.

Dana probably praying for Till to win vs Gastelum though... he would set him up vs Izzy right away.
I think it's winner of that fight either way. He'd prob be happy with Gastelum it was the FOTY so far arguably

RedFish

Great interview.
Really is. Nice rapport between the two and Kelvin very open in his answers but never disrespectful. I've been a fan of his for some time now, and still believe he is destined to be champ. Israel's biggest threat no doubt IMHO.

The irony of the BMF belt bout is that the man that would wear it better than pretty much anyone else on the roster is fighting Till in the co-main.

Oggmonster

:lol: Who is Kevin Lee fooling

I quite like Lee, hoping he gets a win here, be interesting how he does now he's changed camps. Robert Follis killing himself couldn't of been good for his career. He was practically coaching himself at one point apparently wasn't he?
How the mighty have fallen

It's an easy fight back for him in terms of style, it will be the biggest PPV til the next time McGregor fights I'd imagine, he'll make millions of dollars and lets be honest if he wins in dominant fashion (highly possible/likely) he probably gets another title shot. I wouldn't mind "falling" like that!

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I quite like Lee, hoping he gets a win here, be interesting how he does now he's changed camps. Robert Follis killing himself couldn't of been good for his career. He was practically coaching himself at one point apparently wasn't he?

It's an easy fight back for him in terms of style, it will be the biggest PPV til the next time McGregor fights I'd imagine, he'll make millions of dollars and lets be honest if he wins in dominant fashion (highly possible/likely) he probably gets another title shot. I wouldn't mind "falling" like that!
It would make big PPV by it wouldn’t buy him any respect since Cowboy is well past his best years and has recently been served up as the UFC’s whipping boy for other fighters they want to rehabilitate.

Oggmonster

It would make big PPV by it wouldn’t buy him any respect since Cowboy is well past his best years and has recently been served up as the UFC’s whipping boy for other fighters they want to rehabilitate.
I don't really think Conor is arsed about that. Equally if you go through any of his social media pages his fans will weirdly defend him no matter what. If he wins it pretty easily (like it seems we both think he will) I'd be really surprised if he doesn't get Khabib/Tony winner.

I'd personally of liked to see him go on a run of entertaining fights, he doesn't really need a belt due to who he is and the fact his remaining fights will probably always draw well but it seems he's adamant he's getting a title shot so I'd imagine if he wants it it will happen.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
It could also be seen as a tune up fight.
I see it more as a rehabilitation fight. If the UFC were to give Conor a difficult fight he could actually lose then his stock would plummet and their last remaining cash cow would be worth significantly less. Its a bad situation for Conor since a convincing win vs Cowboy means feck all these days.

Oggmonster

I see it more as a rehabilitation fight. If the UFC were to give Conor a difficult fight he could actually lose then his stock would plummet and their last remaining cash cow would be worth significantly less. Its a bad situation for Conor since a convincing win vs Cowboy means feck all these days.
Again I don't get how it's a bad situation? He wins he probably gets a title shot rightfully or wrongly. His fanbase isn't that arsed about records of fighters either and I'm sure he can twist it on Instagram whatever as a huge result and people will demand he gets a title shot.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Again I don't get how it's a bad situation? He wins he probably gets a title shot rightfully or wrongly. His fanbase isn't that arsed about records of fighters either and I'm sure he can twist it on Instagram whatever as a huge result and people will demand he gets a title shot.
Why would he get a title shot if he beats Cowboy ? He's rubbish these days and Conor is already ranked higher than him in the division. Conor should be fighting someone like Poirier if he wants to fight for the belt again. That would allow the Khabib/Tony fight to transpire at some point which would allow Conor to fight a quality opponent to prove to the world that he isn't past it. Fighting Cowboy does little in this regard.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Why would he get a title shot if he beats Cowboy ? He's rubbish these days and Conor is already ranked higher than him in the division. Conor should be fighting someone like Poirier if he wants to fight for the belt again. That would allow the Khabib/Tony fight to transpire at some point which would allow Conor to fight a quality opponent to prove to the world that he isn't past it. Fighting Cowboy does little in this regard.
You know for sure there are no 'shoulds' when it comes to McGregor. A convincing win, him running his mouth that he's back, and 100% he'll be fast tracked straight to a title shot.

He has bad blood with Ferguson and Khabib and the fight sells itself before Conor's antics are even factored in.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is seen as the last chance to milk the McGregor train for every last penny with all the stops pulled to make that final coin off him.

Conor has to win, and if he does, the money will keep rolling in for the organisation. If he loses this fight, or is convincingly battered in a title bout, the money train, as far as UFC is concerned, is pretty much over and done with.

This is pretty much last chance saloon for McGregor as far as box office goes, and by the sound of things he might well get pulled if things outside the UFC go as south as they might.

If I were a head guy at the UFC, I'd be thinking this run is very probably the last for McGregor and milking it dry.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
You know for sure there are no 'shoulds' when it comes to McGregor. A convincing win, him running his mouth that he's back, and 100% he'll be fast tracked straight to a title shot.

He has bad blood with Ferguson and Khabib and the fight sells itself before Conor's antics are even factored in.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is seen as the last chance to milk the McGregor train for every last penny with all the stops pulled to make that final coin off him.

Conor has to win, and if he does, the money will keep rolling in for the organisation. If he loses this fight, or is convincingly battered in a title bout, the money train, as far as UFC is concerned, is pretty much over and done with.

This is pretty much last chance saloon for McGregor as far as box office goes, and by the sound of things he might well get pulled if things outside the UFC go as south as they might.

If I were a head guy at the UFC, I'd be thinking this run is very probably the last for McGregor and milking it dry.
He has bad blood with Khabib and Tony now and the UFC didn't make the fight. For me this is basically an easy fight to keep Conor afloat in the conversation, but won't guarantee him a title fight since he's probably still the fourth or fifth best fighter at 155 at the moment. On strictly fight quality terms, Poirier will have a better case to face Tony or Khabib.

Oggmonster

Cos he's the most popular fighter in the world and he wants it so he'll get it? I'm not saying it's right but I'd be hugely surprised if he is behind a queue, he wins this fight and he'll get the title shot he's even said as much.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Cos he's the most popular fighter in the world and he wants it so he'll get it? I'm not saying it's right but I'd be hugely surprised if he is behind a queue, he wins this fight and he'll get the title shot he's even said as much.
He wants a Khabib rematch now and isn't getting one, so maybe he doesn't hold the sway he once did.

He would need to look incredibly dominant against Cowboy for him prove he isn't past it (as in, a quick first round KO), which isn't likely imo.

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
What an amazing card this weekend. Here's my picks.

Jorge Masvidal vs. Nate Diaz
Kelvin Gastelum vs. Darren Till
Vicente Luque vs. Stephen Thompson
Blagoy Ivanov vs. Derrick Lewis
Kevin Lee vs. Gregor Gillespie

Corey Anderson vs. Johnny Walker
Makwan Amirkhani vs. Shane Burgos
Edmen Shahbazyan vs. Brad Tavares
Andrei Arlovski vs. Jairzinho Rozenstruik

Katlyn Chookagian vs. Jennifer Maia
Lyman Good vs. Chance Rencountre
Julio Arce vs. Hakeem Dawodu