The MMA thread

RedFish

It was boring from the context of people wanting to see a proper fight. Costa let a lot of people down last night.
i know what was implied, but Costa ain’t stupid. If he had waded in swinging for the fences he would have been kissing canvas in less than 60 seconds.

As it happens, staying on the outside didn’t do him much good either.

The hope that it was going to be a close fight was fantasy.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
i know what was implied, but Costa ain’t stupid. If he had waded in swinging for the fences he would have been kissing canvas in less than 60 seconds.

As it happens, staying on the outside didn’t do him much good either.

The hope that it was going to be a close fight was fantasy.
I disagree on that one for sure. He could've won the fight if he was aggressive. That's what throws Adesanya off - pressure. Sitting back only allows him to tee off on you as he pleases.

RedFish

I disagree on that one for sure. He could've won the fight if he was aggressive. That's what throws Adesanya off - pressure. Sitting back only allows him to tee off on you as he pleases.
I’d be inclined to agree if Costa wasn’t as slow as he is to get his shots off. Too easy for a Izzy to slip and counter....which is exactly what happened. You can skin it each and every way but I struggle to see Costa doing better than he did. Agree to disagree.

Andersons Dietician

What!? sorry but I agree with what everyone else is telling you, he would have been destroyed if he fought like he normally does. Thats the reason his coaches and he decided to venture away from it because most people that have watched the two, know that him going after Adesanya would be like walking in to a buzz saw. The only chance he had was to landed something lucky. Instead he froze and got picked apart. He was always going to lose, as I said unless he landed something lucky he never stood a chance.

Its also the reason why Romero was scared to engageand just wanted to stand there. He knew if he tried to chase Adesanya down he would most likely get dissected and hurt.

As for people saying Adesanya is a boring fighter, must be fare-weather fans that don’t have a clue about striking. I seem to recall similar outcries with Till and Wonderboy who had a chess match in the ring as to who blinks first. When actually if you watched it some of the stuff and footwork they were doing was of the highest level you’ll see.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
What!? sorry but I agree with what everyone else is telling you, he would have been destroyed if he fought like he normally does. Thats the reason his coaches and he decided to venture away from it because most people that have watched the two, know that him going after Adesanya would be like walking in to a buzz saw. The only chance he had was to landed something lucky. Instead he froze and got picked apart. He was always going to lose, as I said unless he landed something lucky he never stood a chance.

Its also the reason why Romero was scared to engageand just wanted to stand there. He knew if he tried to chase Adesanya down he would most likely get dissected and hurt.

As for people saying Adesanya is a boring fighter, must be fare-weather fans that don’t have a clue about striking. I seem to recall similar outcries with Till and Wonderboy who had a chess match in the ring as to who blinks first. When actually if you watched it some of the stuff and footwork they were doing was of the highest level you’ll see.
We can agree to disagree that he would've been destroyed. He went in as an undefeated fighter who was rampaging through his opposition en route to the title fight. Its pretty clear that his team selected the wrong strategy and tactics (it happens) and paid the price.

mu4c_20le

Yeah I don't think Costa had any real chance besides a lucky punch. One of the posts comparing him to Floyd was apt, he's not just quick but his timing is brilliant, and he's got the precision to punish you. Whenever Costa turned it up, he stood right there in the pocket and traded with him, not at all afraid of his power. I like Costa as he seems like a nice guy and is exciting as hell, but he seems to be a pretty simple fighter with decent hands. Who has he really beat? A washed up Hendricks, a 40+ yr old Romero...

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
We can agree to disagree that he would've been destroyed. He went in as an undefeated fighter who was rampaging through his opposition en route to the title fight. Its pretty clear that his team selected the wrong strategy and tactics (it happens) and paid the price.
I'm no expert in MMA, but to my untrained eye, one of two things happened in the fight:

Either Costa's team thought plowing forward and trying to smash Izzy via brute power is a fool's game and would have led to Costa being destroyed on the way in. This would mean that for the first time, Costa would need a different gameplan, which he didn't know how to execute on the night...

Or the gameplan was to plow forward and try to smash Izzy via brute power, which Costa couldn't execute because once he was in there, he saw no way in.

Either way, I can't see how Costa could have beaten Izzy bar some kind of lucky strike...

You keep comparing Costa and Gastelum but you're forgetting that from what we seen of these two, they are quite different. Gastelum is very smart with his movement and really, REALLY fast hands. Costa is a pure power striker, with minimal technical setups to his strikes. I doubt Costa could pull off a gameplan like Gastelum. Costa reminds me of a larger version of Lineker, who was a strong and aggressive fighter at Bantamweight and he was smashing through people until he came across someone technical like TJ and got demolished...

Just my two cents.

RedFish

He only fought 2 guys in the top 15 I believe up until the Izzy fight.So the undefeated promotional push was a load of bollocks in my view.
lookig at what he can do , it’s pretty obvious his stand up skills are fairly limited. He takes an age to wind up his shots and looks cumbersome compared to nimble Adesanya. He is the very definition of a hype job......

RedFish

Yeah I don't think Costa had any real chance besides a lucky punch. One of the posts comparing him to Floyd was apt, he's not just quick but his timing is brilliant, and he's got the precision to punish you. Whenever Costa turned it up, he stood right there in the pocket and traded with him, not at all afraid of his power. I like Costa as he seems like a nice guy and is exciting as hell, but he seems to be a pretty simple fighter with decent hands. Who has he really beat? A washed up Hendricks, a 40+ yr old Romero...
He’s got heavy hands but doesn’t have that one punch KO power (Costa). He never KO’s his opponents with 1 shot.

Gordon S

Yet it was utterly spectacular save for being one -sided.

The complete dismantling and ridiculing of Costa, who will be crying into the night.

if you expected a brawl, you simply haven’t been paying close enough attention;)
It was a masterclass from Izzy indeed, but it was a million miles from a fight of the year. Utterly spectacular is a stretch imo.

RedFish

It was a masterclass from Izzy indeed, but it was a million miles from a fight of the year. Utterly spectacular is a stretch imo.
Ok I get you. It wasn’t Adesanya v Gastelum , Poitier v Gaethje etc but it was ultra high level from Izzy and these types of performances we must savour when we get them.We’re witnessing the evolution of a potential GOAT. May be biased as I’m a big fan , nit only of his fighting style but stand up combat in general. Those question mark kicks of his, and sweet left hooks..:.!!!...:drool:

Watching Silva in his prime, a young Jon Jones or JJ develop is something special. There’s more to come yet, and I for one, cannot wait.

RedFish

I'm no expert in MMA, but to my untrained eye, one of two things happened in the fight:

Either Costa's team thought plowing forward and trying to smash Izzy via brute power is a fool's game and would have led to Costa being destroyed on the way in. This would mean that for the first time, Costa would need a different gameplan, which he didn't know how to execute on the night...

Or the gameplan was to plow forward and try to smash Izzy via brute power, which Costa couldn't execute because once he was in there, he saw no way in.

Either way, I can't see how Costa could have beaten Izzy bar some kind of lucky strike...

You keep comparing Costa and Gastelum but you're forgetting that from what we seen of these two, they are quite different. Gastelum is very smart with his movement and really, REALLY fast hands. Costa is a pure power striker, with minimal technical setups to his strikes. I doubt Costa could pull off a gameplan like Gastelum. Costa reminds me of a larger version of Lineker, who was a strong and aggressive fighter at Bantamweight and he was smashing through people until he came across someone technical like TJ and got demolished...

Just my two cents.
Could not agree more my man

RedFish

Very much in effect tonight, but the difference for me being Costa is the game sort and him not trying to run and gun tells a story all of its own.

No, I am. That was very impressive and the fact Costa opted to stay on the outside and get chewed up instead of go for it in his trademark fashion, tells its own story. He saw no openings and his instincts told him not to go in wildly.

Adesanya's kicks had power and sharpness. Along with his movement, totally killed the fight as a competition.

I can't say anything is different in terms of Adesanya's ability to actually avoid sharp hands when thrown, but if he doesn't even enable opponents to get into positions for that to happen, there's nothing to be said there, really.

Adesanya was worth every bit of his reputation tonight. Very much a legend-level performance. Masterful.

People putting the spotlight on Costa for not doing his thing have to understand why he didn't - he simply could not because Adesanya made it that way.
Glad that you appreciate the performance- I knew you’d enjoy his technical wizardry. Flawless really and his mental fortitude is something else.
The tools and talent he has at his disposal and the training with Eugene Bateman and co. Indicates there are special times ahead. He is learning so fast. Those solid kick boxing years and fight know how really shows. > 100 fights in , he is sitting pretty and the rest have to accelerate there evolution to even dream of matching him.

RedFish

He'll dismantle a leg on the outside all day - not sure the head-hunting type of fan appreciates that.

His K.O's are nearly always going to be someone coming onto him and being sparked.
that head kick wss the beginning of the end for Costa. His speed to exploit an opening is incredible

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Could not agree more my man
Hopefully this will help Costa develop his game and he can go at it again when he's actually ready for a title shot. He's still got age on his side and can hopefully make some adjustments and make it more competitive next time.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Glad that you appreciate the performance- I knew you’d enjoy his technical wizardry. Flawless really and his mental fortitude is something else.
The tools and talent he has at his disposal and the training with Eugene Bateman and co. Indicates there are special times ahead. He is learning so fast. Those solid kick boxing years and fight know how really shows. > 100 fights in , he is sitting pretty and the rest have to accelerate there evolution to even dream of matching him.
I've no qualms in admitting I thought Costa could get himself inside by walking Adesanya down and not allowing him to set himself. I've also no qualms in admitting I am hard on Adesanya - and have been throughout this thread - because of the commotion around him and him not, imo, deserving that level of appraisal yet, but performances like Sunday's are there to be marveled at really.

I think anytime someone is mentioned as a potential all-time great everything about their game is going to be scrutinised extensively, or at least, imo, it should be, so it's very fair to say I'm not looking at him as just another fighter, but rather through the lens of those who have gone before him whose company we're told he will keep.

It'll be interesting to see what he goes on to accomplish, and, who he faces along the way in pursuit of said accomplishments. Has he ever spoken about going up in weight? The Jones talk was at a catchweight, surely? I didn't pay attention to it at the time because the weight differential is just too big, imo, as well as that, me not rating Adesanya in the same class as Jones, I felt he was piggybacking for the attention.

What's impressive with him is, like Jones, he talks about facing the strongest, most worthy challengers and not ducking a soul or holding a division to ransom. In that sense, he's more than willing to put his legacy on the line and is actively goading the division to meet his bar, which can only be applauded.

On another note, his kicking technique is stupendous. Him and Wonderboy give templates on how to use your legs properly to the point even if you train a lot, you can learn from them and modify your own application of what they showcase.

I've not watched any of those analytical breakdowns of Adesanya, but I bet there's full sections reserved for his kicking, it really is on another level.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Ok I get you. It wasn’t Adesanya v Gastelum , Poitier v Gaethje etc but it was ultra high level from Izzy and these types of performances we must savour when we get them.We’re witnessing the evolution of a potential GOAT. May be biased as I’m a big fan , nit only of his fighting style but stand up combat in general. Those question mark kicks of his, and sweet left hooks..:.!!!...:drool:

Watching Silva in his prime, a young Jon Jones or JJ develop is something special. There’s more to come yet, and I for one, cannot wait.
Despite behaving like a hyperactive teenager, Adesanya is only two years younger than Jones , so he will likely never be considered a GOAT just like Mighty Mouse, Cejudo, Holloway, or DC won't. Khabib is probably the only one who can join the pantheon of GSP, Jones, Nunes et al.

Last edited:

mu4c_20le

Despite behaving like a hyperactive teenager, Adesanya is only two years younger than Jones , so he will likely never be considered a GOAT just like Mighty Mouse, Cejudo, Holloway, or DC won't. Khabib is probably the only one who can join the pantheon of GSP, Jones, Nunes et al.
He's up there but I also think he's missed out on too many tough matches due to injury to be considered GOAT, at least for now, Izzy edges him.

yes please
Great for the org, but terrible matchup tbh, he'll just Usman him.

Oggmonster

oh, close enough :D.

Cant say I'm super excited for that match, but I'll be watching.

Hopefully Aldana can beat Holly's ass. I don't know if I could handle Holm having another title shot.
I'm pretty sure at this stage Holly is 1 win or 1 loss away from a title shot!

RedFish

I've no qualms in admitting I thought Costa could get himself inside by walking Adesanya down and not allowing him to set himself. I've also no qualms in admitting I am hard on Adesanya - and have been throughout this thread - because of the commotion around him and him not, imo, deserving that level of appraisal yet, but performances like Sunday's are there to be marveled at really.

I think anytime someone is mentioned as a potential all-time great everything about their game is going to be scrutinised extensively, or at least, imo, it should be, so it's very fair to say I'm not looking at him as just another fighter, but rather through the lens of those who have gone before him whose company we're told he will keep.

It'll be interesting to see what he goes on to accomplish, and, who he faces along the way in pursuit of said accomplishments. Has he ever spoken about going up in weight? The Jones talk was at a catchweight, surely? I didn't pay attention to it at the time because the weight differential is just too big, imo, as well as that, me not rating Adesanya in the same class as Jones, I felt he was piggybacking for the attention.

What's impressive with him is, like Jones, he talks about facing the strongest, most worthy challengers and not ducking a soul or holding a division to ransom. In that sense, he's more than willing to put his legacy on the line and is actively goading the division to meet his bar, which can only be applauded.

On another note, his kicking technique is stupendous. Him and Wonderboy give templates on how to use your legs properly to the point even if you train a lot, you can learn from them and modify your own application of what they showcase.

I've not watched any of those analytical breakdowns of Adesanya, but I bet there's full sections reserved for his kicking, it really is on another level.

Here are some recent ones on his technique worth watching.

He has mentioned going up in weight but I don't think it's going to be any time soon. All that Jones talk is just that, especially now that Jones is moving up to HW. If it were to happen I think it'd be at LHW or catch weight as you say.

Last edited:

Oggmonster

Holm headlining a card just automatically makes it awful for me. Whatever people say about the UFC they've done really well to milk a fighter with literally 1 good victory in her entire career this long.

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
Not watching it tonite but the thing about this sport is that i know i will lose one or two awesome fights even though the card doesn't look that appealing