The Modern / Current Players Draft

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Going to be bold and get players for a system rather than taking the best available player per se. Going to experiment with a couple players in positions they can possibly play as well.

With that said, i'm taking Philipp Lahm.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Teams till now:
  1. Pat_Mustard: 1. Xavi
  2. Raees: 1. Ronaldinho
  3. Physiocrat: 1. Robben
  4. MJJ: 1. Kaka
  5. Stobzilla: 1. Lahm
  6. The Red Viper: 1.
  7. Isotope: 1.
  8. Theon: 1.
  9. BorsDeLedFora: 1.
  10. Snow: 1.
  11. VivaJanuzaj: 1.
  12. NoPace: 1.
  13. Barney: 1.
  14. Skizzo: 1.
  15. crappycraperson: 1.
  16. NM: 1.
@The Red Viper

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Great pick. I'd say in this draft he is worth more than Dinho or Kaka.
Not even close to being worth as much as Ronaldinho here.

Why do you think that?

Ronaldinho is much better anyway and it's a much more important position than fullback.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Well Lahm is versatile which is very useful for drafting- you can use him in four positions.

However I'd always go for Dinho every time as he's by far the most creative in this draft. If it'd been a 70s and 80s one less so but I'd always choose him over a full back.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
The player pool looks really small for a 16 manager draft. Should be interesting and building a cohesive team will be very important, because all teams will have some weak players in it. Ronaldinho clearly stands out as an individual and he's a big vote winner. But having Lahm in the team will make many decisions in future rounds a lot easier, so he's definitely an excellent pick.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Great pick. I'd say in this draft he is worth more than Dinho or Kaka.
There are simply no more players of Ronaldinho's calibre in the pool. Lahm is brilliant, he is probably the best fullback in the draft, capable of playing in midfield and on the left also, but worth more than Dinho? No way. Brilliant pick though.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Pool size. The attacking options are far in abundance than defensive side, I should think.
Pool size is small for all positions.

Ronaldinho was the best pick here by a mile IMO. I think Xavi is the only one who was comparable to Ronaldinho in terms of ability, but he's harder to fit in and doesn't carry the same match winning potential regardless.

Lahm is still one of the top picks though, no doubt.

The Red Viper

Supports
Liverpool
The player pool looks really small for a 16 manager draft. Should be interesting and building a cohesive team will be very important, because all teams will have some weak players in it. Ronaldinho clearly stands out as an individual and he's a big vote winner. But having Lahm in the team will make many decisions in future rounds a lot easier, so he's definitely an excellent pick.
Yes. Its very small.

The Red Viper

Supports
Liverpool
The Teams:-
  6. The Red Viper: 1. Iniesta
  7. Isotope: 1.
@Isotope

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
There are simply no more players of Ronaldinho's calibre in the pool. Lahm is brilliant, he is probably the best fullback in the draft, capable of playing in midfield and on the left also, but worth more than Dinho? No way. Brilliant pick though.
Pool size is small for all positions.

Ronaldinho was the best pick here by a mile IMO. I think Xavi is the only one who was comparable to Ronaldinho in terms of ability, but he's harder to fit in and doesn't carry the same match winning potential regardless.

Lahm is still one of the top picks though, no doubt.
I'm not saying toothy is a bad pick. Just that there are players who though not in Toothy's caliber yet still have vote pulling ability. Excepting Lahm and maybe 2-3 others, the fullback pool slides seriously downhill from there.
And this is a draft with abundance of AM/winger hybrids. A versatile defender like Lahm is worth gold, imo.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Ronaldinho is the best vote magnet on this draft and a great player to say the least but if the set up is right, I'd rate Xavi higher. Easier said than done though, esp with the scarce resources available but looking forward to see how Pat utilizes him.
I'm semi-regretting picking Xavi. I'm not at all sure how to go about constructing a team around him, and the pool here isn't deep.

The Red Viper

Supports
Liverpool
I'm semi-regretting picking Xavi. I'm not at all sure how to go about constructing a team around him, and the pool here isn't deep.
No issues. Tell me who you want next turn and I'll pick for you so that we can swap that player with Xavi! ;)

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Have a plan and stick to it. With these drafts, the individual thinking has gone right out the window and people pick to satisfy the received consensus. Be creative, it will be more rewarding in the end, even though your soul will feel like it has been stepped on after a first round white wash.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Luis Suárez.
  7. Isotope: 1. Suárez
@Theon

NoPace

In 2008, Xavi was excellent with a more traditional front 3. He doesn't need Tiki-Taka to be dominant.

Just make sure the other 2 midfielders with him are technically solid enough to keep up with him, don't draft an immobile target man and you'll be fine. Maybe an aggressive, speedy fullback on one wing.

Barney

"We're going to smash them (Crystal Palace)"
Supports
Liverpool
  7. Isotope: 1. Suárez
  8. Theon: 1. Schweinsteiger