g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

The Modern / Current Players Draft

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
  1. Pat_Mustard: 1. Xavi
  2. Raees: 1. Ronaldinho
  3. Physiocrat: 1. Robben
  4. MJJ: 1. Kaka
  5. Stobzilla: 1. Lahm
  6. The Red Viper: 1. Iniesta
  7. Isotope: 1. Suárez
  8. Theon: 1. Schweinsteiger
  9. BorsDeLedFora: 1. Vidic
  10. Snow: 1. Hazard
  11. VivaJanuzaj: 1. Thiago Silva
  12. NoPace: 1. Kroos
  13. Barney: 1. Gerrard
  14. Skizzo: 1. Muller
  15. crappycraperson: 1. Ribery
  16. NM: 1.

NM

I pick Gareth Bale and Ashley Cole.

16. NM: 1. Bale 2. Cole

To confirm: I am assuming that Wales and England count as separate countries and NOT under the UK. Can somebody clarify this for me? If not, I'd probably change my pick.

@crappycraperson

crappycraperson

Scout
I pick Gareth Bale and Ashley Cole.

To confirm: I am assuming that Wales and England count as separate countries and NOT under the UK. Can somebody clarify this for me? If not, I'd probably change my pick.

@crappycraperson
It will defo count as separate since they have separate NT teams.

NM

@crappycraperson also I really wanted Ribery so am kind of glad you took him.. Otherwise I would have had to take both wingers.

crappycraperson

Scout
  15. crappycraperson: 1. Ribery 2. Aguero

@Skizzo

NM

Wanted to bounce this around a bit with joga...But don't think he's on.

I'll be off to bed soon, so rather than wait...I'll go with another of the few quality left backs available.

@Barney
He is an excellent pick as per the nationality rule he is Senegalese

Barney

"We're going to smash them (Crystal Palace)"
Supports
Liverpool
  13. Barney: 1. Gerrard 2. Alonso
  14. Skizzo: 1. Muller 2. Evra
  15. crappycraperson: 1. Ribery 2. Aguero
@NoPace

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
That's interesting, as - I assume - it means both Cole and Bale sort under the UK as per place of birth.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
And, of course, it will be highly relevant for all those born before the dissolution of the Soviet Union, Yugoslavia and Czechoslovakia.

I approve of the principle, by the way - it's clear cut: What counts is the country of birth (the recognized state in which the fecker was born), at the time of birth. No room for ambiguity, you'd think.

But it makes it trickier to draft, no doubt - which is also a good thing, in my book. Trickier the better. I'm looking forward to seeing how people compose and balance out their teams - because this one will not be a big-shiny-name fest. You have to assemble a proper team here to a large degree, or so I would think.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
I approve of the principle, by the way - it's clear cut: What counts is the country of birth (the recognized state in which the fecker was born), at the time of birth. No room for ambiguity, you'd think.
I think it's a bit odd to use it as the sole criterion in this draft. It should be 'nationalteam' and if the player has no senior caps, place of birth, but in FIFA countries the way we have them today. That way there shouldn't be a problem at all and it makes much more sense in the context of football.

It's just silly if for example all the Croatian and Serbian players are considered as being from the same country (I'm not sure if that's the case with the way EAP defined it in the rules in the op). Or that players from Wales and England are considered as being from the same country. Or that for example someone like Deco would be considered a Brazilian player, Klose would be a Polish player (both are too old to be eligible here, so they make good examples). It's about football, so use the football borders, they're much easier to handle than the real ones anyway.

Last edited:

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
National team seems common sense. Evra senaglese.. ain't got time for that, he's french!

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
It will be a bit crazy/non-intuitive in some cases, certainly. But it makes it more difficult - which is mainly why I like it.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
As for the rule, as stated by EAP, that seems clear enough and restricts the teams to two players born in the same country. That means Cole and Bale fill up the quota, there's no doubt about that. Wales and England aren't different countries in terms of where you're born.

If they're to be sorted in two different categories, the rule needs to be amended. Ain't logical any other way, as far as I'm concerned.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I'm surprised that Alonso went so late - after Gerrard and Kross in particular. He is fantastic.

And really glad for Evra - I actually rate his peak higher than Cole, even though it was shorter, yet the latter always gets picked and the former isn't. Hope that he will have a brilliant draft.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
I'm surprised that Alonso went so late - after Gerrard and Kross in particular. He is fantastic.

And really glad for Evra - I actually rate his peak higher than Cole, even though it was shorter, yet the latter always gets picked and the former isn't. Hope that he will have a brilliant draft.
Great move by Barney re-uniting Gerrard and Alonso actually. Alonso mitigates against some of Gerrard's perceived weaknesses, as well as being a proven partnership.

Agreed on Evra. There's really very little between him and Cole, yet Cole seems to pop up in every draft and the other is largely ignored.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Great move by Barney re-uniting Gerrard and Alonso actually. Alonso mitigates against some of Gerrard's perceived weaknesses, as well as being a proven partnership.

Agreed on Evra. There's really very little between him and Cole, yet Cole seems to pop up in every draft and the other is largely ignored.
Agree. Gerrard on his own would have probably gone down like a lead balloon, Alonso alongside him will help his cause and then i could guess who he'll go for next to try and finish the jigsaw.

Evra's last couple of years at United hasn't helped his cause at all, but his form in around 2007-09 was easily as good as anything Ashley Cole has produced. In that time he was sensational with consistently flawless performances.

BorisDeLeFora

The thing about the Gerrard-Alonso combo is that it's pure Rafa, which may not go down well with people on this forum. Other than that it's two really good picks, as has been said.

crappycraperson

Scout
The thing about the Gerrard-Alonso combo is that it's pure Rafa, which may not go down well with people on this forum. Other than that it's two really good picks, as has been said.
They never worked as a combo.. Barney will add a third CM to the mix

NM

As for the rule, as stated by EAP, that seems clear enough and restricts the teams to two players born in the same country. That means Cole and Bale fill up the quota, there's no doubt about that. Wales and England aren't different countries in terms of where you're born.

If they're to be sorted in two different categories, the rule needs to be amended. Ain't logical any other way, as far as I'm concerned.
Not per wikipedia. I'm not from the UK and didn't know the details. Either way, we can let @Edgar Allan Pillow decide.