The Modern / Current Players Draft

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Wanted to bounce this around a bit with joga...But don't think he's on.

I'll be off to bed soon, so rather than wait...I'll go with another of the few quality left backs available.

@Barney
Paddy's gold and he's due a good draft, just like Vidic.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Not per wikipedia. I'm not from the UK and didn't know the details. Either way, we can let @Edgar Allan Pillow decide.
Wiki says what? That Wales is a sovereign, national state? I knew it was a load of old bollocks, but I had no idea it was THAT bad.

Whatever, though. Seems it has been decided. Nice and illogical, but hey. Ain't my business.

NoPace

Wales is a country in Football discussions. Scotland, too.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Wiki says what? That Wales is a sovereign, national state? I knew it was a load of old bollocks, but I had no idea it was THAT bad.

Whatever, though. Seems it has been decided. Nice and illogical, but hey. Ain't my business.
Yes. I don't care much either but this and Evra thing are contradictory IMO. Could create problems later but we will see I guess.

VivaJanuzaj

Yaya Toure

He's pretty much been the best midfielder in the PL for the last 3-4 years, when last season he reached an impressive 24 goals in 49 games for Manchester Shitty. Paired alongside a hard working midfielder(like he's been in City) will make him create and build attacks, and scoring some too.

I hate his guts tbh, and tried hard not to pick him, but he picked himself at this point, probably better at his prime than a couple of CMs who were picked already, especially with the Nationality rule.

Last edited:

VivaJanuzaj

1. Pat_Mustard: 1. Xavi
  2. Raees: 1. Ronaldinho
  3. Physiocrat: 1. Robben
  4. MJJ: 1. Kaka
  5. Stobzilla: 1. Lahm
  6. The Red Viper: 1. Iniesta
  7. Isotope: 1. Suárez
  8. Theon: 1. Schweinsteiger
  9. BorsDeLedFora: 1. Vidic
  10. Snow: 1. Hazard
  11. VivaJanuzaj: 1. Thiago Silva 2. Yaya Toure
  12. NoPace: 1. Kroos 2. Reus
  13. Barney: 1. Gerrard 2. Alonso
  14. Skizzo: 1. Muller 2. Evra
  15. crappycraperson: 1. Ribery 2. Aguero
  16. NM: 1. Bale 2. Cole
@Snow

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Wales is a country in Football discussions. Scotland, too.
Nobody's disputing that. But you have to operate with FIFA status (or caps) OR place of birth. You can't operate with both, it makes no sense.

Is Evra still Senegalese? What about a player like Paul McGrath? Irish, surely? But he was born in London.

You go with football country or national state. And if you go with the former, place of birth has to be completely irrelevant. Evra has never played for Senegal, nor McGrath for England.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
How about the Country the player is known representing of?

NoPace

Nobody's disputing that. But you have to operate with FIFA status (or caps) OR place of birth. You can't operate with both, it makes no sense.

Is Evra still Senegalese? What about a player like Paul McGrath? Irish, surely? But he was born in London.

You go with football country or national state. And if you go with the former, place of birth has to be completely irrelevant. Evra has never played for Senegal, nor McGrath for England.
I figured it was normal footballing country rules, but whichever footballing country you were born in applies here. So, yes, Evra is Senegalese. Not sure why it's not just "whichever team you represented the most" and if the player has no caps, then the footballing country of their birth. But I don't think the rules were unclear.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I figured it was normal footballing country rules, but whichever footballing country you were born in applies here. So, yes, Evra is Senegalese. Not sure why it's not just "whichever team you represented the most" and if the player has no caps, then the footballing country of their birth. But I don't think the rules were unclear.
Maximum of 2 players from same country (by birth).
That is not clear if what is meant by it is: "2 players from the same footballing country (by birth)". Not to mention that the latter is a highly idiosyncratic concept.

Either you recognize which country the player represents/represented as a footballer - or you recognize which country he was born in. To recognize which footballing country he was born in (but never played for) is just plain weird.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
That is not clear if what is meant by it is: "2 players from the same footballing country (by birth)". Not to mention that the latter is a highly idiosyncratic concept.

Either you recognize which country the player represents/represented as a footballer - or you recognize which country he was born in. To recognize which footballing country he was born in (but never played for) is just plain weird.
Evra was born in Senegal, so it's his birth country for this draft.
Bale was born in Wales, so it's his birth country for this draft.

Wiki definition of UK is something like Sovereign State comprising of 4 countries etc. So I classified Wales as a separate country.

The purpose is simply to add a dimension to drafting and as long as it serves that purpose, either definition of birth / football country should be equally acceptable.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
The nations issue was one which was nailed down in anto's all-time draft:
  • A Nation is defined as one that has or has had a national team participating in FIFA competitions (e.g. no Catalunya).
  • If a player has played for two NTs, the NT of birth applies (e.g. Di Stefano is Argentinian).
  • If a player played for a multi-nation NT (e.g. Yugoslavia), their NT is defined as that of their city of birth. This is so that there is a greater pool of nations to pick from. No debate on ethnicity or heritage will be entertained. It's a football draft, not a politics debate.
Not really following the debate so not sure if that criteria would be appropriate here.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Evra was born in Senegal, so it's his birth country for this draft.
Bale was born in Wales, so it's his birth country for this draft.

Wiki definition of UK is something like Sovereign State comprising of 4 countries etc. So I classified Wales as a separate country.

The purpose is simply to add a dimension to drafting and as long as it serves that purpose, either definition of birth / football country should be equally acceptable.
Sure. It's an unusual way to go about it, though.

What you add is the possibility of sneaking players in under the radar - who happen to be born in a FIFA recognized country they did not play their football for. Which is nice enough, I suppose - but unprecedented.

For my money it would have been better, more challenging and more logical to simply operate with country of birth in non-football terms.

It's your show, though. As long as people understand the criteria, it's no problem. I still think you should update the OP, however, to underline the fact that you're actually talking about "FIFA recognized country of birth", i.e. a player born in England who played for Scotland counts as English for the purposes of the draft.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
  9. BorisDeLedFora: 1. Vidic
  10. Snow: 1. Hazard 2. Modric
@BorisDeLeFora

ctp

If anyone wants or needs an assistant, send me a PM.

BorisDeLeFora

9. BorisDeLedFora: 1. Vidic 2. Kompany
  10. Snow: 1. Hazard 2. Modric

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Tough between two players here.

One position has more depth than the other.. But despite that, I'll go with..