The Modern / Current Players Draft

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.

Neymar----------------Van Persie-----------------------

------------------------Iniesta-----------------Cazorla

--------------Ramsey---------Hargreaves--------------

Marcelo--------Terry------------Cahill-------Lichtsteiner

--------------------------Sirigu-------------------------

One of the best teams in the draft I'd say.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Mine:
Navas
Sagna -- Pepe -- Chivu -- Balzaretti
Marchisio--Mascherano
---------- Mata ------- Koke
Suarez --------------
--------
Eto'o​

Should at least, win the Ugliest and Hardest team award.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Really like your team, @Snow, my favourite right now alongside Skizzo's.
Cheers. Hasn't gotten much love here. Maybe because it lacks stars (apart from Hazard). Don't think I have a weakness in sight. I've got two hell of a good wings to deal with and a monster up front. Adriano is so good that despite being depressed, fat and an alcoholic he still managed to be the biggest scorer in Brazil. Like Deisler, he's had his mental demons to deal with.

I think that before this season, if you swap Cuadrado with Di Maria or Bale, this midfield might come close to the collective dream midfield on the caf of current footballers.

VivaJanuzaj

Diego Costa

------ Gotze -- ---------------- Pedro

-------Pogba ---- Yaya Toure

Song

Clichy -- T.Silva -- Mertesacker -- Ivanovic

Begovic
Tons of goal threat from outside the box, massive aerial threat between Yaya-Pogba-Mertesacker-T.Silva-Diego Costa from a cross from Pedro/Clichy/Ivanovic or a set piece, plus a team that can both hold on to the ball and build attacks, with the midfield joining attack and Gotze running the show in his free role, while Clichy provides width or soak pressure with the strong midfielders dropping deeper and sending the ball forward for the fast Pedro/Gotze and the strong Costa.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Very little talk about Marchisio.

Juve vice captain, and the seniors among Italy NT.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
One of the best teams in the draft I'd say.
I'd be concerned with Marcelo and Lichsteiner as the full-backs. Unless someone proves me wrong, which they probably will, I do not recall Terry or Cahill playing in a defence that had two full-backs who get forward to the extent that they do.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I'd be concerned with Marcelo and Lichsteiner as the full-backs. Unless someone proves me wrong, which they probably will, I do not recall Terry or Cahill playing in a defence that had two full-backs who get forward to the extent that they do.
Yea. I've not found Terry or Cahill to be really good at dealing with 1v1. A skillful player who's faster than them will get past them. It doesn't happen often for them because they're so good within a defensive unit and are good markers and strong in the air.

Pat_Mustard

No, you've got a very good point there. Prime Terry rather than current Terry mitigates the need for defensive full backs a bit, but even in his prime he generally played in very good defensive set ups. The other slight concern about his team was how Hargreaves could knit together with the intricate passing game Iniesta/Cazorla/Neymar/RVP would be capable of. Still a strong team though with a potentially mouth-watering attack.

Pat_Mustard

Cheers. Hasn't gotten much love here. Maybe because it lacks stars (apart from Hazard). Don't think I have a weakness in sight. I've got two hell of a good wings to deal with and a monster up front. Adriano is so good that despite being depressed, fat and an alcoholic he still managed to be the biggest scorer in Brazil. Like Deisler, he's had his mental demons to deal with.

I think that before this season, if you swap Cuadrado with Di Maria or Bale, this midfield might come close to the collective dream midfield on the caf of current footballers.
Aside from Deisler and some of my early picks, mine hasn't got a mention! Ah well, I'll just have to stick it to the haters and march to a triumphant victory**.

**or alternatively a swift first round elimination

Pat_Mustard

I'll take Asmir Begovic. At his prime he carried Stoke's defensive efforts and was a key factor in their success.
Just out of interest Viva, were you considering Mandanda before I picked him? I'd have preferred to have waited and picked my keeper with my 12th pick but he was the preferred option for me out of the limited ones left so I didn't want to miss out on him, especially given his favourable country of birth.

Skizzo

Needed a player who can help shield the back four, and work tirelessly in midfield alongside Matuidi. Someone who can hound attackers, and also pick out a pass to spring us forward quickly.

Lassana Diarra

Pat_Mustard

Needed a player who can help shield the back four, and work tirelessly in midfield alongside Matuidi. Someone who can hound attackers, and also pick out a pass to spring us forward quickly.
I'm quite (very) jealous of you for getting Matuidi. I think he's done his best work in an attacking midfield position, but he's a class all-rounder.

VivaJanuzaj

Just out of interest Viva, were you considering Mandanda before I picked him? I'd have preferred to have waited and picked my keeper with my 12th pick but he was the preferred option for me out of the limited ones left so I didn't want to miss out on him, especially given his favourable country of birth.
Actually didn't even think of him, not a bad pick in any ways I just never rated him aerially highly, which with some strikers here is necessary. Moreover, I thought he was French and I already got two of those bastards so I didn't even bother to check.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
One of my unobvious favorites remains unpicked :( And he is better than a lot of already picked players. He barely makes the ages criteria though, maybe some just assumed that he didn't.

Pat_Mustard

One of my unobvious favorites remains unpicked :( And he is better than a lot of already picked players. He barely makes the ages criteria though, maybe some just assumed that he didn't.
I've got one fella that I'm pretty desperate to get as my 12th man that could realistically change my starting formation, another one that I'm surprised hasn't been picked, and a few others that could be useful.

Skizzo

I'm quite (very) jealous of you for getting Matuidi. I think he's done his best work in an attacking midfield position, but he's a class all-rounder.
Didn't think he'd last as long as he did. Maybe he gets a little underrated playing in France...But he's done really well for PSG. I didn't want to limit him with a purely defensive role, so with Diarra there it gives him a bit more freedom to drive forward if Evra stays put.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Chiellini will not be wasted .. not in the long run I assure you guys of that. He played the Euro 2012 tournament as a left back so he's done so at the very highest level .. not to mention he is top quality at bringing it out of defence, 80%+ possession stats for a guy who is pretty aggressive with the ball at his feet.

Shocked Bravo didn't go before me, many are saying he's the favourite for the Best keeper in La Liga award this season.

Marquinhos has excelled against the best attack in the world. He's rightfully called the next Thiago Silva because he really does have exceptional potential. Only Varane I would say is the bigger and more proven young defensive talent.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I've got one fella that I'm pretty desperate to get as my 12th man that could realistically change my starting formation, another one that I'm surprised hasn't been picked, and a few others that could be useful.
I just thought about another one - definitely underrated here and not rightly so, could've been the great draft for him, even if I, personally, despise the guy. Well, tough luck, even though maybe someone will take him in the last round as a tactic changing sub.

We should have fan after the initial drafting and pick an unpicked XI.

Pat_Mustard

Actually didn't even think of him, not a bad pick in any ways I just never rated him aerially highly, which with some strikers here is necessary. Moreover, I thought he was French and I already got two of those bastards so I didn't even bother to check.
Feck :mad:

I knew you were my only competition for goalkeepers unless someone decided to royally feck me over by picking a keeper as their 12th man. I had a French GK as my back up choice too as I knew you'd already picked two French players. I should really have prioritised getting one of my choice outfield players as the extra man as I could use the tactical versatility.

Pat_Mustard

Didn't think he'd last as long as he did. Maybe he gets a little underrated playing in France...But he's done really well for PSG. I didn't want to limit him with a purely defensive role, so with Diarra there it gives him a bit more freedom to drive forward if Evra stays put.
I reckon people just don't watch him play that much. Not that I watch him week in week out, but he stands out to me more often than not when I do catch a PSG or France match. I've never been a huge Lassana fan, but he's a good pick in that he allows Matuidi some freedom. PM incoming in fact!

Skizzo

I reckon people just don't watch him play that much. Not that I watch him week in week out, but he stands out to me more often than not when I do catch a PSG or France match. I've never been a huge Lassana fan, but he's a good pick in that he allows Matuidi some freedom. PM incoming in fact!

Nice little video showing Lass on defense, running down attackers, being tidy in possession, and a bit towards the end showing he can hit a long pass when needed.

MJJ

Diego Costa

------ Gotze -- ---------------- Pedro

-------Pogba ---- Yaya Toure

Song

Clichy -- T.Silva -- Mertesacker -- Ivanovic

Begovic
Tons of goal threat from outside the box, massive aerial threat between Yaya-Pogba-Mertesacker-T.Silva-Diego Costa from a cross from Pedro/Clichy/Ivanovic or a set piece, plus a team that can both hold on to the ball and build attacks, with the midfield joining attack and Gotze running the show in his free role, while Clichy provides width or soak pressure with the strong midfielders dropping deeper and sending the ball forward for the fast Pedro/Gotze and the strong Costa.
VJ I would consider playing ivanovic as a CB and getting a more attacking fullback.