The New low (I.) Q. Republicans and Ted Cruz

WPMUFC

Sweet Christ on a bike

Why do all the craziness always have a pre-scripted documents for speeches? Surely if you are this far down the rabbit hole you know your conspiracies off the topic of your head? And if you are this batshit insane....how are you that nervous at public speaking?

It always boggles my mind how prepared they are :lol:

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Why do all the craziness always have a pre-scripted documents for speeches? Surely if you are this far down the rabbit hole you know your conspiracies off the topic of your head? And if you are this batshit insane....how are you that nervous at public speaking?

They've done their own research mate.

Jericholyte2

I think it's because otherwise they couldn't generate the power to think of the words and say them at the same time! That probably took the poor woman 2 months to prep.

Carolina Red

Staff
One of your parents?
It’s a possibility.

Gotta have those speaker notes, otherwise she wouldn’t know what to do with her hands.
I assume she wasn't aware of the US camps for Asian-American's during WWII - or would that be that Critical Race Theory that the US are so scared of?
I would venture to guess that’s not the only thing she doesn’t know about.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
If we somehow make it to the other side of whatever the shitstorm of stupidity is I wonder if the history books will treat Zuckerberg as poorly as he should be treated. Probably not as by then we most like will have history books that consist of the second amendment, a wildly rewritten first amendment, the lyrics to god bless America, and a 500 page breakdown of each season of the apprentice.

nimic

something nice
Scout
If we somehow make it to the other side of whatever the shitstorm of stupidity is I wonder if the history books will treat Zuckerberg as poorly as he should be treated. Probably not as by then we most like will have history books that consist of the second amendment, a wildly rewritten first amendment, the lyrics to god bless America, and a 500 page breakdown of each season of the apprentice.
Nobody likes Mark Zuckerberg or Facebook. History will destroy him.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
And millions more of WI taxpayers money if they "investigate" the voting machines that then will have to be replaced.
The most maddening thing? THIS IS A DEM STATE! Every statewide office is Dem. Biden won the state. One Senator is a Dem and the other is a borderline psycopath who likely won't run again cuz he gonna get crushed. However, and it is a big fecking however, this state is so gerrymandered that the R's have 63% control of the legislature. Ingest that for a moment. Insane.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Can't listen now. What's the context here?
My guess is that it is re: the 1/6 commissions request for telecom companies to submit the records for the insurgent congress people. McCarthy released a statement yesterday threatening retribution on those companies when the GQP regains control of the house. Not at all the behavior of people who have nothing to hide....

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Texas bans abortions after 6 weeks
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-58406496

Seems a really low cut off limit ... presumably as with most things America it boils down to partisan stuff
It's a heartbeat law. It's Republicans continuing to see how much of abortion they can block without their laws being tossed out by the Supreme Court. This one is particularly bad, as anyone in breach of the law would have to pay a large fine to the person that identified them. So if a woman is raped, tries to get an abortion outside the confines of this law, and is identified as such by the rapist - then she would have to pay a fine to the rapist. It's insane.

Oh, they're passing voting suppression legislation in Texas at the same time as well. Obviously the Republicans are all about Liberty!!!!!.
My guess is that it is re: the 1/6 commissions request for telecom companies to submit the records for the insurgent congress people. McCarthy released a statement yesterday threatening retribution on those companies when the GQP regains control of the house. Not at all the behavior of people who have nothing to hide....
Yeah, very subtle.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Wait, isn't that essentially government interference in free market activities, or worse official investigations?

I hope the telco's burn every fecking one of them.

The Firestarter

It's a heartbeat law. It's Republicans continuing to see how much of abortion they can block without their laws being tossed out by the Supreme Court. This one is particularly bad, as anyone in breach of the law would have to pay a large fine to the person that identified them. So if a woman is raped, tries to get an abortion outside the confines of this law, and is identified as such by the rapist - then she would have to pay a fine to the rapist. It's insane.

Oh, they're passing voting suppression legislation in Texas at the same time as well. Obviously the Republicans are all about Liberty!!!!!.

Yeah, very subtle.
I knew Texas was a backwards state, but I didnt expect the Spanish inquisition.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Pregnancy usually starts around two weeks before conception as well, the count starts at the last menstruation cycle.
Just from a practical point of view the timescale for people to realise they are late... then get a home kit... then get to a doctors for a test... then book a procedure... yeah that seems very tight / difficult

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I think the abortion issue is perfect insight into the American right. You have a group of people who revel in cruelty to pretty much everyone who is not white as soon as they are born who will do anything to make sure they get born so they can have a target for their cruelty.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Just from a practical point of view the timescale for people to realise they are late... then get a home kit... then get to a doctors for a test... then book a procedure... yeah that seems very tight / difficult
Obviously, the whole thing is evil. I mean, they even added an unconditional (to my knowledge) snitch bonus to the law. It's pretty clear.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
In the meantime, Trump's changes to the Supreme Court might finally start paying off for the abortion prehistorians:
What is public opinion on abortion like?

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Just like almost everything the GQP is against the majority is in favor of it.

Public Opinion on Abortion | Pew Research Center (pewforum.org)
Thanks. It's amazing how the GOP do not seem to represent the majority of Americans on almost anything - yet because of the totally messed up system of representation, they continue to get senate and house majorities, appoint lots of judges, etc. I don't need to tell you that of course (especially after what you were saying about Wisconsin the other day), but it's mind-boggling. I'd have a similar criticism of Canada's political system, but it's another couple of degrees worse in the US.

I'd say representative democracy is on a scale, and the US is pretty low on it. (As is any country with First Past The Post elections; but not quite as low as the US.)