The Race for Fourth Place

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Ah feck, forgot winning the Carling Cup qualifies for the Europa League... Even worse, we're likely to lose to City but still qualify as finalists with them already qualifying for the Champions League. Balls. :lol:
Nah, finalists don't get the spot in the league cup. It only tranfers in the fa cup, because thats what the UEFA cup spotused to do when a team won the double when it was a single team in the European Cup

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Nah, finalists don't get the spot in the league cup. It only tranfers in the fa cup, because thats what the UEFA cup spotused to do when a team won the double when it was a single team in the European Cup
Oh really? Thanks be to Jaysus.

AlwaysRedwood

Yeah, but I'd still count you as a good team.

We aren't in any way a title contender and were even worse early in the season.

You haven't played any team that could contend for the title at home. You are, as of yet, unproven at home this season.

Ixion

6 points off the magic 40 points mark. We can do it.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Funny thing is this has actually been one of our best ever* winter periods

*possibly not ever

Ludens the Red

Liverpool will get 4th, don't even think they'll be a close race for it, they'll finish well ahead. Everton will fade badly in the second half of the season because of their weak squad, Spurs are Spurs and will drop too may daft points at home.

Gladiator

I guess Arsenal should be there too. Without a proper rotation for Giroud they will struggle the second part of the season.

Imo Everton ad Tottenham are not even in the race, they don't have the quality, maybe Everton but I doubt it. It's basically between us Liverpool and Arsenal, and I think injuries will decide who will drop out.
Until Everton improve in the final third. I'm not sure they're getting 4th. It's really such a tight race right now.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
I don't see us finishing in the top 4 unless something drastic happens. We are too far behind in the big matches with plenty of difficult matches ahead

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
a day ago, we were 2 points off 4th place for fudge sake.

Let's all stop too much knee jerking eh?

Backrow Singer

Finishing 8th is the real deal. Look how well it has worked for the scousers. No resting players for midweek fixtures and all that crap.
From a league perspective it is huge. Massive advantage when you can rest players in that way. Can't see them making the top four though.

I'd still be surprised if we didn't make it. On top of everything else, it's easy to forget that we have had our best midfield player out injured for a large portion of the season, and we have hardly seen Rooney and Van Persie up front together. Big loss in itself. The league has gone, but there will be a huge difference when we get those three playing regularly. We need to do a bit of business in the window ideally, but we will improve. Again though, I just hope the added competitions won't take their toll. Still confident though.

holyland red

"Holier-than-thou fundamentalist"
From a league perspective it is huge. Massive advantage when you can rest players in that way. Can't see them making the top four though.

I'd still be surprised if we didn't make it. On top of everything else, it's easy to forget that we have had our best midfield player out injured for a large portion of the season, and we have hardly seen Rooney and Van Persie up front together. Big loss in itself. The league has gone, but there will be a huge difference when we get those three playing regularly. We need to do a bit of business in the window ideally, but we will improve. Again though, I just hope the added competitions won't take their toll. Still confident though.
I'm not particularly arsed, and I doubt a "race for 4th" would motivate our established players. The club's finances could easilly take the toll of missing out on CL football for at least one season. I don't buy the argument that we'd miss on big name players by not making the top 4. Whoever finishes 4th in case we miss out would not have any advantage over us finishing there the following season. Top players are signed on long term contracts, and I wouldn't expect many to pledge their futures based on the prospects of making the KO/QF of the competition the following season. We are some way of making a real CL challenge even if we finish 4th.

Proud_Lyon

Banned Cnut
What's wrong then? This thread is pretty much spot on I'd say, no?

Pretty much I would have to say. I can accept the fact that we are in a period of transition with the same players but with a different manager. Most of these players have only known Sir Alex, and to be honest, when he cut the apron strings, it is there for all to see. I see a quiet period from us over the next few weeks or even months, but I have no doubt we will get back to where we belong, it is only a matter of time.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Until Everton improve in the final third. I'm not sure they're getting 4th. It's really such a tight race right now.
Why? We create a tonne of chances and just need a little bit more luck in the final third. We've only scored 7 less than the PL leaders and 6 less than Chelsea. Liverpool are helped by Suarez's phenonmenal strike rate and City are smashing everyone at home which contributes to their huge goal tally. It's not like we are leaking goals either, only Arsenal have let in less than us.

If we end up getting that little bit of luck i think we have a decent chance of doing so. Yes, the teams above us have that bit more in the final third but if we continue with our consistency (which will be tough) it can be possibly to get into Europe.

I don't really see the points dropped at Stoke as that either, they're a tough nut to crack at home. City only took a point and Chelsea ended up with none.

Amir

Most of these players have only known Sir Alex
For United, of course. But funnily enough, when you look at players we've signed or players were loaned out for a while, almost all of them had different managers as well at some point.

Gladiator

Why? We create a tonne of chances and just need a little bit more luck in the final third. We've only scored 7 less than the PL leaders and 6 less than Chelsea. Liverpool are helped by Suarez's phenonmenal strike rate and City are smashing everyone at home which contributes to their huge goal tally. It's not like we are leaking goals either, only Arsenal have let in less than us.

If we end up getting that little bit of luck i think we have a decent chance of doing so. Yes, the teams above us have that bit more in the final third but if we continue with our consistency (which will be tough) it can be possibly to get into Europe.

I don't really see the points dropped at Stoke as that either, they're a tough nut to crack at home. City only took a point and Chelsea ended up with none.
I think the race for 4th is going to be tight. You lot will do well against the lower teams. Despite your good performances thus far against the top teams, I have noticed in the final third there's still something lacking in creating quality chances and your lack of clinical finishing may come to bite you. This is what I've observed from the games I've watched thus far. It's all about fine margins and although you lot enjoy good possession in the final third, sometimes you struggle turning that into quality chances. Not talking half-chances.

I guess I just feel you could be doing more in terms of penetration and a sense of ruthlessness in the final third. In some games, that may be the difference between a win and a draw.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I think the race for 4th is going to be tight. You lot will do well against the lower teams. Despite your good performances thus far against the top teams, I have noticed in the final third there's still something lacking in creating quality chances and your lack of clinical finishing may come to bite you. This is what I've observed from the games I've watched thus far. It's all about fine margins and although you lot enjoy good possession in the final third, sometimes you struggle turning that into quality chances. Not talking half-chances.

I guess I just feel you could be doing more in terms of penetration and a sense of ruthlessness in the final third. In some games, that may be the difference between a win and a draw.
We have a lot of chances but don't always take them. If we manage to bring in one or two this window to help the cause and get a little bit of luck we have as much a chance as anyone. I'd say only City, Arsenal and Liverpool have looked better than us this season so far.

ItsEssexRob

Has a slight gambling problem
Supports
Chelsea
Ah feck, forgot winning the Carling Cup qualifies for the Europa League... Even worse, we're likely to lose to City but still qualify as finalists with them already qualifying for the Champions League. Balls. :lol:

Just to let you know if it hasnt already been posted that this doesn't happen as the runners up in the League cup do not get into the EL even if the winners are already in Europe.

FA cup rules only.

Gladiator

We have a lot of chances but don't always take them. If we manage to bring in one or two this window to help the cause and get a little bit of luck we have as much a chance as anyone. I'd say only City, Arsenal and Liverpool have looked better than us this season so far.
I agree with that. And I feel that could hurt you if not addressed.

Someone

Something
It'd be really sweet to finish 5th below liverpool and then pull a chelsea on them and win the champions league.

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
Why do people say that United are in transition ? Or more so, why do people see this 'transition' as an excuse/reason for United's less than flattering first half of the season under a new manager ? Don't think I've heard anyone say that Everton are in transition. After all, they've also lost their gaffer, who was in charge for 10 years.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Why do people say that United are in transition ? Or more so, why do people see this 'transition' as an excuse/reason for United's less than flattering first half of the season under a new manager ? Don't think I've heard anyone say that Everton are in transition. After all, they've also lost their gaffer, who was in charge for 10 years.
Stop fishing Retardman5

Are you actually suggesting that all managers should immediately be able to hit the ground running all of the time just because it happens in some cases?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
The same thing happened when United were knocked into the Europa League.

Someone

Something

Different clubs with different expectations, saf was here for 27 years and was one of the greatest managers of all time, you don't really want to succeed saf, a nightmare of a job if you ask me.

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
Different clubs with different expectations, saf was here for 27 years and was one of the greatest managers of all time, you don't really want to succeed saf, a nightmare of a job if you ask me.

Stop fishing Retardman5

Are you actually suggesting that all managers should immediately be able to hit the ground running all of the time just because it happens in some cases?
I'm not fishing at all. They were serious & justifiable questions. I've seen Liverpool win numerous titles & major trophies from 1964-1990. During that period we had 4 different managers in charge - Shankly, Paisley, Fagan, & Dalglish - Yet I never once heard the word transition when one man stepped down & the new man took over. Even when we started our decline under Souness, the media never put our poor record under the new guy as a mere 'transition'.

Saoirse.

Liverpool Fan

Just in reply to this, we have had Gerrard out for 5 games, as well having several members of our defence missing so it hasn't been settled, namely Enrique at LB and then his replacement Flanagan who had been playing very well. Also,we have only had Sturridge and Suarez play 6 games games together this season, in these games having a combined total of 14 goals and 5 assists between them.

So I think that both teams can only get better, and at the minute I would say based on the first half of the season and how unlucky we have been with injuries and suspension that we can only improve as well.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
I missed that. So there would be 5 English teams?
Yup

There was also 5 teams when Liverpool won the CL and they ended up getting drawn in Chelsea's group the following season.

Then UEFA changed it following that with Spurs missing out most recently and now they have changed it back again

ItsEssexRob

Has a slight gambling problem
Supports
Chelsea
Would be funny indeed, but they changed the rules recently so no matter what 4th will still qualify

I think you are mistaken (unless they've changed them again) 4th did qualify before, but since about two or three seasons ago it was made rule that 4th would go into the EL, like Spurs did when we won it in 2012.

Unless its changed again in the last year its still only 4 teams.