The Race for Fourth Place

kps88

Yeah coming first or second won't effect Chelsea's transfer window.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Hazard joined Chelsea mainly because they were the CL winners that year. You have to consider that as one of the factors.
I'm not saying his head won't get turned if Real Madrid comes calling (what they'll do with all of Ronaldo, Bale and Hazard is anyone's guess), but finishing 1st or 2nd won't make a major difference in that regard, and I certainly don't expect PSG to have the pulling power to turn his head.

coolredwine

lameredboots
Well yes, you can say that. But it's not about the players only. They have the manager, who if keeps on winning, will stick around for a longer period. Don't want that either.

Cal?

CR7 fan
I ask again, a point I made many times when people kept saying Mourinho will leave after 2-3 successful seasons. Where's is he going to go? He's already been to Real Madrid, will never go to Barcelona and for some reason lost his chance at United. Maybe he'll take over once Pep gets bored at Bayern?

coolredwine

lameredboots
French clubs? You never know!!

Edit: And anyway, I doubt he will leave if he is successful as Chelsea now. Hence my reasoning.

Cal?

CR7 fan
French clubs? You never know!!

Edit: And anyway, I doubt he will leave if he is successful as Chelsea now. Hence my reasoning.
He's not French...

Anyway, other than RM or Barca, I can't see who'd have the pull arm financial power.

Sorry thot we were still talking about Hazard...

coolredwine

lameredboots
See the thing is, even if City wins, they will sack their coach on a single sign of poor season. I don't think Roman would be sacking Jose anytime soon, specially if keeps winning. Hence.

Adebesi

I ask again, a point I made many times when people kept saying Mourinho will leave after 2-3 successful seasons. Where's is he going to go? He's already been to Real Madrid, will never go to Barcelona and for some reason lost his chance at United. Maybe he'll take over once Pep gets bored at Bayern?
Didnt he make some derogatory remarks about the German league when Guardiola went to Munich? I dont think its likely Mourinho will go there unless the current superiority of German football continues to the point it looks less like a blip and more like a longer term shift. I think Mourinho will be at Chelsea quite a long time now.

Glanville95

Managing in the German league and managing his nation has been on his agenda for quite some time, said that in an interview a while ago. But if Ligue 1 becomes a stronger division, maybe he will be swayed by PSG or Monaco. Who knows, maybe he will stay at Chelsea for years to come.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Managing in the German league and managing his nation has been on his agenda for quite some time, said that in an interview a while ago. But if Ligue 1 becomes a stronger division, maybe he will be swayed by PSG or Monaco. Who knows, maybe he will stay at Chelsea for years to come.
I don't think Mourinho has any interest in either the German or French leagues. He loves the media over here and is clearly comfortably being in England. I suspect he will stay at Chelsea for 5-10 years (unless he falls out with Roman), win a few trophies and maybe consider a job with the national team before retiring.

Adebesi

I don't think Mourinho has any interest in either the German or French leagues. He loves the media over here and is clearly comfortably being in England. I suspect he will stay at Chelsea for 5-10 years (unless he falls out with Roman), win a few trophies and maybe consider a job with the national team before retiring.
Agreed. If he fell out with Abramovich there'd be a massive opportunity there for us but I dont think itll happen.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Agreed. If he fell out with Abramovich there'd be a massive opportunity there for us but I dont think itll happen.
If we didn't take him when he was basically free and keen, the boat has long sailed now!

ItsEssexRob

Has a slight gambling problem
Supports
Chelsea
Im kind of emotional about this United Chelsea love in right now. How about we amalgamate and become West London United?

I think theres a certain something about Jose and teams that win through grit, team spirit and tactics that appeals to a United fan more than it does to a fan of Arsenal or most other top EPL teams.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Im kind of emotional about this United Chelsea love in right now. How about we amalgamate and become West London United?

I think theres a certain something about Jose and teams that win through grit, team spirit and tactics that appeals to a United fan more than it does to a fan of Arsenal or most other top EPL teams.
It's a funny situation when a lot of us are actively hoping you win the league.
City would be an arse, Liverpool would be worst case scenario, and Arsenal, well the media arse kissing would be unbearable.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins

José's always been respectful discussing United, he's buttered us up well.

ItsEssexRob

Has a slight gambling problem
Supports
Chelsea
We seem to get used a lot like that ( Liverpool 09/10).

Can Guarantee I will be going full United when you play Liverpool and City. You have to do your bit!

Gannicus

Given the decrepit condition Moyes will leave club in when May comes (which would be not soon enough!), I could see Mourinho being greatly intrigued by the prospect of restoring United to its rightful place among Europe's elite football clubs.

But at what financial cost? I dunno, 40m to buy Jose out from Chelsea and 30m to buy out the rest of Moyesey's contract? It's probably worth it, however, even if it means trimming that alleged 200m transfer warchest down to 130m.

Amir

Given the decrepit condition Moyes will leave club in when May comes (which would be not soon enough!), I could see Mourinho being greatly intrigued by the prospect of restoring United to its rightful place among Europe's elite football clubs.
If only he had gone anywhere but Chelsea. I can't see him doing that at all.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Mourinho is not leaving Chelsea for United. That's borderline delusional.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I couldnt agree with this more. Im 100% behind Chelsea for the PL this season.
Yep. I'm the same. For similar reasons.

To stop City, Liverpool and Arsenal winning the league I'm willing to tolerate their smug bellend of a manger lifting the trophy, even though it will mean another season of fast forwarding through the opening credits of MOTD.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Can a mod move this to the General forum please?

Arsenal sitting precariously on a 9 point lead over Spurs. :wenger: BUT...

Spurs win tomorrow, thats 6 points. Win the NL derby thats 3 points. Then wait for Arsenal to lose against Chelsea and / or City and its game on. Squeaky bum time if Adebayor stays fit.
There's absolutely no way that Spurs will ever finish below Arsenal.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I dont want us in the damn Europa cup....
We'll be in it, 6th gets it now and 7th could get it if two teams above us make the FA Cup final which is possible (I'm thinking Arsenal v City).

relx

Frnkie Sys
Mata will get a PL medal too if Chelsea win it (I think)

Adebesi

Yep. I'm the same. For similar reasons.

To stop City, Liverpool and Arsenal winning the league I'm willing to tolerate their smug bellend of a manger lifting the trophy, even though it will mean another season of fast forwarding through the opening credits of MOTD.
Am I right in thinking you live in West London Pogue? That would make it slightly harder, though I think Id still feel that way, even then. Up till a few years ago I lived about a 15 minute walk from the Emirates, and that added another, sickening dimension to those two horse races we used to contest - well, sickening in those years we came up short. But I sincerely find Arsenal the most insufferable of all football fans. It must just be the ones I happen to know, but I cant bear them winning anything.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Am I right in thinking you live in West London Pogue? That would make it slightly harder, though I think Id still feel that way, even then. Up till a few years ago I lived about a 15 minute walk from the Emirates, and that added another, sickening dimension to those two horse races we used to contest - well, sickening in those years we came up short. But I sincerely find Arsenal the most insufferable of all football fans. It must just be the ones I happen to know, but I cant bear them winning anything.
Used to. Back in Ireland these last 3 years.

When I did live in London I was more likely to be surrounded by Fulham, Chelsea or QPR fans than gooners. I had a few friends who were season ticket holder, though, and I went to the Emirates a few times. I think my dislike for them is mainly fuelled by wanting to get one up on my friends but also by the constant media love-in over Wenger and Arsenal. Even when they went half a decade winning feck all you could always rely on English papers to lose the run of themselves about Arsenal walloping some relegation candidate, or their kids winning a Milk Cup game. Never failed to wind me up.

Nowadays, it's the moral highground of winning the league without sugar daddy financial doping that would annoy me. That's our bit of real estate, thanks very much.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
I want to get some money on Everton getting 4th now! Arsenal in bottling mode could easily allow them in. Arsenal have to play them away soon as well.

I could see Wenger stepping down if they piss away the CL place that looked secure, no matter what happens with the FA Cup.

Amir

It would be the funniest thing if this is the season Arsenal end up without a place in the CL, having started so well.

The Red Thinker

You never know how much Arsenal will bottle it now. If we, by some miracle play out of our skins and win the remaining matches. Then, Arsenal lose to Everton and City, the deficit is 5 points. Arsenal will have to play some relegation teams and that's always hard. Stranger things have happened. Wigan were sure to be relegated a couple of seasons back, but my God did Martinez pull all the stops!

Of course, only if we win the rest of the games.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
It would be the funniest thing if this is the season Arsenal end up without a place in the CL, having started so well.
Well, not so funny considering it will mean United would only have needed to be moderately competent this season to have gotten 4th.