The Race for Fourth Place

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
If we'd have beaten Liverpool, this would have been the boost we needed. Ah well.
Personally not sure I could see a way that we would have beaten Liverpool with Moyes in charge. If we had done so they would have been the best team we would have won against all season.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Beat City, and I reckon we can take 4th from Arsenal. End of season collapse will commence

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
11 points behind with 8 games left. Not happening.

Even if Arsenal were to collapse it will probably be Everton who end up benefiting.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I could see them losing 2 of their next 3 games, we are effed because even if we get back into it Newcastle are lodged between the Bayern games

I believe!
I can see us losing two of our next three games! :lol: It's over, rcoobc. But your belief is admirable.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
The frustration is that we have the best away record in the league. We've fecked this season up by unacceptably losing points against teams we should be beating - West Brom, Southampton, Newcastle, Everton, Fulham; all at home. Any other season, they're home bankers, and we're comfortably in the top four. Not sure quite what the issue at OT is, but we need to sort it.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
I could see them losing 2 of their next 3 games, but we are effed because even if we get back into it Newcastle are lodged between the Bayern games

I believe!
Had a quick look at their remaining fixtures. I reckon they'll get at least 75 points.

Providing we win our last 8 games we could pip them on goal difference, though...

Blasphemy

I could see them losing 2 of their next 3 games, but we are effed because even if we get back into it Newcastle are lodged between the Bayern games

I believe!
Arsenal always lose to good sides. It doesn't really effect their form vs the poor teams. Not to mention Everton are 7 points clear of us if they win their game in hand and we're 2 points behind Spurs still.

No chance we finish 4th. Even if we win every game remaining I'm not sure Arsenal will drop enough points and we won't do that.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Well, then...

A win away to Everton, a further Arsenal capitulations, coupled with us winning our remaining games could see us get 4th place after all.

What an achievement it would be considering how far behind we were not so long ago.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
It's just too little too late for me, even if it is mathematically possible.

Really makes you wonder where we'd be if we won at least 60% of the home games we've played so far.

Getsme

Well, then...

A win away to Everton, a further Arsenal capitulations, coupled with us winning our remaining games could see us get 4th place after all.

What an achievement it would be considering how far behind we were not so long ago.
We aren't getting fourth.

Blasphemy

Well, then...

Arsenal won't drop seven points, have you seen their remaining games?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Beat Sunderland and Palace and we will be 12 points ahead of you. You'd have a game in hand though.

Blasphemy

Arsenal's remaining five games:

v West Ham (H)
v Hull (A)
v Newcastle (H)
v West Brom (H)
v Norwich (A)

There's no way Arsenal are going to lose 2 and draw 1 from those games. Not a chance.

They'll win the three home games comfortably and probably win or draw the others too.

And that's assuming we win all our remaining games, which we probably won't.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
we'll probably miss it by 5-6 points in the end, and spend all summer choosing what we reckon cost us.

The 90th min equalisers v Fulham, Southampton, Cardiff,
The 4 days of madness, losing to both Everton and Newcastle 1-0 at home
The West Brom home farce.

etc

NotoriousISSY

we'll probably miss it by 5-6 points in the end, and spend all summer choosing what we reckon cost us.

The 90th min equalisers v Fulham, Southampton, Cardiff,
The 4 days of madness, losing to both Everton and Newcastle 1-0 at home
The West Brom home farce.

etc
Well you just group most of that together and say the home form.

We could still have our terrible record vs the top 5/6 and be close to the top if it wasn't for all the stupid points lost as you've mentioned.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
Arsenal's remaining five games:

v West Ham (H)
v Hull (A)
v Newcastle (H)
v West Brom (H)
v Norwich (A)

There's no way Arsenal are going to lose 2 and draw 1 from those games. Not a chance.

They'll win the three home games comfortably and probably win or draw the others too.

And that's assuming we win all our remaining games, which we probably won't.
the Hull match is the only one they may lose points.

they will get 4th.

Comsmit

Well, then...

Meanwhile outside of lala land, Everton have given themselves a real chance now. It will be tough with games against United and City (although they are home games and their form has been astonishing at Goodison). That away game at Southampton could be crucial.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Where's this certainty that Arsenal will go the rest of the season unbeaten coming from? They've not won in their last 4 (5 if you include the CL game), and have only picked up 2 points in that time. They've got Hull away, which I wouldn't expect to be an easy game, and their last two games are against West Brom and Norwich who are both fighting for survival. Considering their current form, it's not really too wild to suggest that they'll drop points in the run-in. Everton have also got to play a couple of relegation scrappers, as well as facing us and City. We're clearly the outsiders here, with Arsenal's dip in form, our chances are certainly looking better than they were a couple of weeks ago. We win our remaining games (which will be difficult given our inconsistent form all season), and we're in with a good chance. I personally think it's Everton's to lose after today's result. Arsenal appear to be in freefall.

NotoriousISSY

Wait, an Arsenal side who have won two games out of the last 7 is suddenly absolutely certain to win all of their last 5?

If they show the level of fight and desire they did today for the rest of the season, they could be surrendering their 4th place trophy.

Cina

Well, then...

How would it be an 'achievement' to come in a position in the league that nobody expected you to be in as low as at the start?

Maybe Moyes is doing it wrong, should've had us in relegation all season and then with a strong end we'd achieve great things by finishing 16th.

Chabon

If we beat Everton then it'll at least be interesting. Too late to grab it though, I suspect.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
How would it be an 'achievement' to come in a position in the league that nobody expected you to be in as low as at the start?

Maybe Moyes is doing it wrong, should've had us in relegation all season and then with a strong end we'd achieve great things by finishing 16th.
You're an idiot.

Lance Uppercut

Maybe you should actually read his post.

Cina

Maybe you should actually read his post.
I read it, I get it, he's saying it in the context of the last few games, I still don't see how you can call that in any way an achievement though, considering how we got into this position in the first place.

NotoriousISSY

If we beat Everton then it'll at least be interesting. Too late to grab it though, I suspect.
Beating Everton just puts Arse in pole position really. If there were 10 games to go rather than 5, it'd be more interesting for us given that form and performances have improved in the last fortnight.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
i hope Everton will the the 4th. First at all i think that the media would take more focus on Arsenal, we were dubbed title contenders. Second of all, Arsenal's collapse would be perceived bigger as they kept their manager and got Ozil. Second of all i would be much easier to attract big players to United if both United and Arsenal were without the Champions League. Third, Everton would drop off next season as they wouldnt have squad to cope with CL and League.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
I read it, I get it, he's saying it in the context of the last few games, I still don't see how you can call that in any way an achievement though, considering how we got into this position in the first place.
Don't be silly, Cina. You have a shit first half, 2-0 down at the break, storm back to win 3-2, that's an achievement, isn't it? Even in a game you had expected to win? Of course we hoped for higher than 4th, but 4th spot now would be a real, tangible, genuine achievement.

Vooon

Hal Institute for Criminally Insane Robots
i hope Everton will the the 4th. First at all i think that the media would take more focus on Arsenal, we were dubbed title contenders. Second of all, Arsenal's collapse would be perceived bigger as they kept their manager and got Ozil. Second of all i would be much easier to attract big players to United if both United and Arsenal were without the Champions League. Third, Everton would drop off next season as they wouldnt have squad to cope with CL and League.
Makes sense. Personally I root for Everton.

Us coming up from behind and grabbing fourth would mean we win all our remaining matches, and both an Arsenal and an Everton collapse. It would be too bizarre after a season like this.