The RedCafe Boxing Thread

mr.suave

I reckon Mayweather wins this fairly comfortably but Ortiz will be a good win for him. Like Lance said, he's got some decent skills, can bang with either hand, is a southpaw and is an absolute beast for a welterweight.

There has been talk that maybe Floyd's legs have gone a bit... well, this fight will tell us if they have, because the sensible thing for him to do in this fight is to get on his bike and potshot his way to a points victory. Even though Floyd is surprisingly good on the inside (see the Hatton fight), I reckon a guy like Ortiz is too big and too strong for him to fight at close quarters for the duration of the fight.

Like I said, Mayweather takes it by a couple of rounds but, just to sit on the fence a bit, I wouldn't be surprised if Ortiz pulls off the upset, he's a live underdog in this one.

Member 39557

I reckon Mayweather wins this fairly comfortably but Ortiz will be a good win for him. Like Lance said, he's got some decent skills, can bang with either hand, is a southpaw and is an absolute beast for a welterweight.

There has been talk that maybe Floyd's legs have gone a bit... well, this fight will tell us if they have, because the sensible thing for him to do in this fight is to get on his bike and potshot his way to a points victory. Even though Floyd is surprisingly good on the inside (see the Hatton fight), I reckon a guy like Ortiz is too big and too strong for him to fight at close quarters for the duration of the fight.

Like I said, Mayweather takes it by a couple of rounds but, just to sit on the fence a bit, I wouldn't be surprised if Ortiz pulls off the upset, he's a live underdog in this one.
Time does strange things to the memory, but I seem to remember the Ref seperating the fighters every time Hatton got close to Mayweather.

Will this one be worth staying up for?

Lance Uppercut

Yeah, Joke Cortez broke them up a lot. He wasn't impressed when Hatton's fans booed the US National Anthem.

It will be worth watching, but because it's on Primetime, you'll have to shell out.

Member 39557

Yeah, Joke Cortez broke them up a lot. He wasn't impressed when Hatton's fans booed the US National Anthem.

It will be worth watching, but because it's on Primetime, you'll have to shell out.
Really? screw that, I assumed it would be on sky. Perhaps I'll be able to find a stream.

ricardinho

Handpicked? Other than Pac, who is a better fight for him at 147? Ortiz is young, strong, a southpaw, he hits hard, and he just ended Berto's unbeaten record.
Berto was an HBO hypejob who never beat anyone.

Ortiz quit against Maidana and got a lucky draw against Peterson.

Hes a decent fighter but hes no threat to Floyd and Floyd himself knows this thats why he picked him as his comeback fight.

Watch him take another long vacation after he beats Ortiz with ease cause he sure wont be fighting Pac untill Pac shows signs of slowing down.

Lance Uppercut

Berto was an HBO hypejob who never beat anyone.

Ortiz quit against Maidana and got a lucky draw against Peterson.

Hes a decent fighter but hes no threat to Floyd and Floyd himself knows this thats why he picked him as his comeback fight.

Watch him take another long vacation after he beats Ortiz with ease cause he sure wont be fighting Pac untill Pac shows signs of slowing down.
:lol:

Right. While Pac is fighting a veritable murderer's row at WW. Pac has taken hand picking opponents to a whole new level.

No doubt we can expect Pac vs Ortiz in 2014.

And you didn't answer me. Who is a better fight at WW for Floyd, other than Pac?

ricardinho

Right. While Pac is fighting a veritable murderer's row at WW. Pac has taken hand picking opponents to a whole new level.

No doubt we can expect Pac vs Ortiz in 2014.
At least hes staying active while Floyd fights one handpicked opponent and then goes to a long honeymoon with his butt buddies 50 cent and Ellerbe to spend the easy money he just got from beating an overmatched opponent.

Watch him do the same thing after he beats Ortiz.

Lance Uppercut

At least hes staying active while Floyd fights one handpicked opponent and then goes to a long honeymoon with his butt buddies 50 cent and Ellerbe to spend the easy money he just got from beating an overmatched opponent.

Watch him do the same thing after he beats Ortiz.

Do I really have to remind you who Pac is fighting next?

ricardinho

Who is the tougher fight? Prime Ortiz, or a 38 year old Marquez fighting well above his ideal weight?
Stylewise Marquez will give Pac more trouble than Ortiz will give Floyd but both will be beat with ease.

Neither one is a tough fight.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Does Ortiz have a chance against Floyd then??

I think it will be a decent fight and one which may see Mayweather get put on the canvass. I can see both of them going down to be honest, as Ortiz leaves plenty of gaps when he attacks his opponents. I don't see Mayweather knocking Ortiz out. The safe money would go on a Mayweather points, but I can see it being fairly close.

Watch me be totally wrong now! :lol:
My money would be going on a Mayweather points decision too.

I don't think Floyd will go down. Ortiz has plenty of power but I don't rate him much if I'm being honest.

Floyd is comfortably the better boxer.

Carl

So what are the fights this weekend then?

Is the Cleverley fight this weekend?

holdsteady

Hates Sir Alex Ferguson
Typical weigh in crap from Floyd and his crew.

Floyd jammed his finger into Ortiz's throat pretty violently. Ortiz camp handled it pretty well, they were just joking around and laughing at them until that point. Ortiz had grabbed his belt and showed it to the crowd and Floyd took that as the moment to confront him and do the typical garbage.

Steev

Was anyone watching the Tyson Fury fight on Channel 5. Seems to have gone off air. Black screen for the last 10 mins.

EDIT - Back on now, missed three rounds.

Robin

Was anyone watching the Tyson Fury fight on Channel 5. Seems to have gone off air. Black screen for the last 10 mins.

EDIT - Back on now, missed three rounds.
I watched it on C5 and did not get a break, Virgin was ok

Carl

What time's Mayweather Ortiz likely to kick off? Trying to time getting back from my night out to watch it.