The RedCafe Boxing Thread

Maajid

Formerly Mad
I hate these apologising wankers who do it in the middle of the fight! Headbutt? You got a point deducted, now shut the feck up and get your hands up

Nanderson

I ♥ Neymar
feck Victor Ortiz, he got exactly what he deserved. God I fecking hate Larry Merchant.

I would have preferred if Floyd had just punished him the right way. What he did wasn't right.

And the sad thing is I don't even think the shot was enough to keep Ortiz down. I honestly believe he quit. He was dishearted by what he had done and bowed out at that point.

No point in a rematch. I don't think Floyd looked brilliant in the first couple rounds but he was growing.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
fcuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuk... stayed up and still ended up missing the fight. Will download tomorrow.

Can someone summarise?

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Larry Merchant is ridiculous, when Ortiz apologised he said "why are you apologising?". Disgrace he is.
I detest Floyd but Ortiz, Merchant and Cortez all come out of this looking as bad if not worse. :lol: at Merchant saying he'd have kicked Floyd's arse if he was 50 years younger! Highly unlikely Larry....

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
That's a cheap shot. Also, what was the ref looking at? :lol:

Mayweather is a punk for not fighting Manny.

Don16

Annoying cnut
I would have preferred if Floyd had just punished him the right way. What he did wasn't right.

And the sad thing is I don't even think the shot was enough to keep Ortiz down. I honestly believe he quit. He was dishearted by what he had done and bowed out at that point.

No point in a rematch. I don't think Floyd looked brilliant in the first couple rounds but he was growing.
You've got to protect yourself in the ring. If someone hits you with a blatant low blow, you hit him with a blatant low blow. Its how the sport works, unfortunately. At the end of the day, the ref said box on, so Floyd KO'd him.

Don16

Annoying cnut
I'm not a particular Mayweather fan, but I genuinely cant understand why people are vilifying the punches, but not much is being said about the headbutt. He should have been DQ'd for that alone.

Don16

Annoying cnut
Someone please tell me what happened?
Mayweather was outclassing Ortiz, ortiz came forward with a flurry, got floyd on the ropes, floyed blocked everything, Ortiz got frustrated and blatantly headbutted him. The ref seperated them, tells them to box on, they kind of touch gloves, seperate about an inch, and Floyd nails him with a left and a right onto the chin that floors him.

Pat_Mustard

fcuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuk... stayed up and still ended up missing the fight. Will download tomorrow.

Can someone summarise?
Floyd soundly outboxes Ortiz and looks more aggressive than usual. Ortiz had one or two decent rallies but is growing increasingly frustrated.

After one wild flurry he intentionally headbutts Floyd and has a point deducted. He grins moronically and repeatedly tries to hug and kiss Floyd by way of apology. Cortez mutters something but doesn't seem to have told them to resume fighting. Ortiz leans in for another hug, Floyd seems to reciprocate but sucker punches him with a left then a right, ending the fight.

Larry Merchant lambasts him in the post-fight and interview and Floyd flips out and starts cursing at him before storming off.

Maajid

Formerly Mad
Mayweather was outclassing Ortiz, ortiz came forward with a flurry, got floyd on the ropes, floyed blocked everything, Ortiz got frustrated and blatantly headbutted him. The ref seperated them, tells them to box on, they kind of touch gloves, seperate about an inch, and Floyd nails him with a left and a right onto the chin that floors him.
Did he? I must've missed it if he did..

Sally Cinnamon

Good man.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Floyd soundly outboxes Ortiz and looks more aggressive than usual. Ortiz had one or two decent rallies but is growing increasingly frustrated.

After one wild flurry he intentionally headbutts Floyd and has a point deducted. He grins moronically and repeatedly tries to hug and kiss Floyd by way of apology. Cortez mutters something but doesn't seem to have told them to resume fighting. Ortiz leans in for another hug, Floyd seems to reciprocate but sucker punches him with a left then a right, ending the fight.

Larry Merchant lambasts him in the post-fight and interview and Floyd flips out and starts cursing at him before storming off.
Bloodyell! and I missed it :(

Cheers for the summary tho...

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
I'm not a particular Mayweather fan, but I genuinely cant understand why people are vilifying the punches, but not much is being said about the headbutt. He should have been DQ'd for that alone.
The "right" thing to do would be not to throw those punches. He's a bitch for throwing them because the guy's left himself open while he's apologizing. He used Ortiz's show of quasi-sportsmanship to KO him. That's just classless.

Pat_Mustard

Did he? I must've missed it if he did..
It was really unclear in fairness. He did seem to mutter something, but then he turned away to speak to the timekeeper...bizarre refereeing from Cortez. Cortez, Merchant, Ortiz and floyd all contrived to look like gobshites tonight.

As much as I hate him floyd looked superb in boxing terms though. As elusive as usual with more aggression and punch output than we've typically seen from him lately.

Don16

Annoying cnut
At the end of the day, I don't think you can properly blame either fighter. They're in the middle of a fight, afterall. The blame has to go on the ref, he is there to make sure this kind of stuff doesn't happen. He never even sent Ortiz into a neutral corner. He is an absolute clown and should never ref another fight again.

Nanderson

I ♥ Neymar
It was really unclear in fairness. He did seem to mutter something, but then he turned away to speak to the timekeeper...bizarre refereeing from Cortez. Cortez, Merchant, Ortiz and floyd all contrived to look like gobshites tonight.

As much as I hate him floyd looked superb in boxing terms though. As elusive as usual with more aggression and punch output than we've typically seen from him lately.
I actually don't think this is true. Floyd was off balance in the first two rounds and leaning too far forward. He landed a few straights but nothing really notable. He picked it up in the third and was starting to look more comfortable but honestly I don't think Floyd looked special. Maybe not his fault as the fight barely had a chance to get off the ground.

The problem with what Mayweather done is that, as has been pointed out, he clearly sucker punched his opponent who was profusely apologising to him and clearly not in a position to protect himself (his own fault, but you would expect Floyd to have enough sense to let the fight resume properly).

Ortiz headbutt was idiotic to say the least. The problem is that Floyd's actions directly led to the end of the fight, which is disappointing for everyone. Don16 I know you like Mayweather, but I think you're being a bit biased. Your summary is subjective to say the least.

Nanderson

I ♥ Neymar
At the end of the day, I don't think you can properly blame either fighter. They're in the middle of a fight, afterall. The blame has to go on the ref, he is there to make sure this kind of stuff doesn't happen. He never even sent Ortiz into a neutral corner. He is an absolute clown and should never ref another fight again.
This I can agree with you on. Hopefully United/Chelsea won't be as disappointing tomorrow!

Pat_Mustard

Agreed that Cortez made a royal mess of the fight, but both fighters will land some criticism and deservedly so. By way of contrast, look at how easy Morales and Cano made their fight to referee in a far more brutal bout.

vuc

First Team Serb
I thought Floyd got hit so many more times than I have seen previously.

Ortiz is an idiot for not getting his hands up, but Mayweather is also a cock for that reaction. I actually think Ortiz was doing quite well against Mayweather until the brainlapse.

jveezy

Fo' shizzle
I thought Floyd got hit so many more times than I have seen previously.

Ortiz is an idiot for not getting his hands up, but Mayweather is also a cock for that reaction. I actually think Ortiz was doing quite well against Mayweather until the brainlapse.
I think so too. He was certainly taking his shots, but at least he was throwing back and was at least making the fight somewhat interesting before he made it way more interesting than it needed to be.

GE

Negative Moaning Mentalist
An eye for an eye. Ortiz deserved what he got.

Anyone notice how Sky Sports News (TV) don't even bother to report about the fight? If they aren't showing it on one of their 'Sports channels or Sky PPV, it's as if the fight didn't even exist. Selfish bastards.

Boss

Melodramatic, attention seeking space-attacker
I left you with enough memories to resurrect me wi
The "right" thing to do would be not to throw those punches. He's a bitch for throwing them because the guy's left himself open while he's apologizing. He used Ortiz's show of quasi-sportsmanship to KO him. That's just classless.
Being a bitch is intentionally headbutting somebody and keeping your guard down.

Floyd just took advantage of Ortiz's stupidity. This is chess not checkers. On to the next one. Ortiz will learn from this. He put up a decent fight.

gormless

An eye for an eye. Ortiz deserved what he got.

Anyone notice how Sky Sports News (TV) don't even bother to report about the fight? If they aren't showing it on one of their 'Sports channels or Sky PPV, it's as if the fight didn't even exist. Selfish bastards.
Its not "Sky, Sports News" its "Sky Sports," News. They went through a stage of not even acknowledging Setanta's matches.

And that has to be the funniest ending to a fight I have ever seen. Its disgraceful, but I have no sympathy for Ortitz. He shouldn't have headbutted him

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Just seen this, pathetic. The interview afterwards was class though. That last line "I wish I was 50 years younger so I could kick your ass". That will go down in history, classic.