The RedCafe Boxing Thread

Spoony

The People's President
Floyd comes across as a complete cock in the post fight interview. And the ref was incompetent...he should shoulder a large portion of the blame.

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
To be fair, that was a disgraceful fight. Ortiz and Mayweather out of order in my opinion.

Leg-End

I'm glad I didn't stay up for that. Cortez takes a lot of the blame for that, he is well past his best.

Poor form from Mayweather.
And Ortiz shouldn't have headbutted him

Was starting to look like quite a good fight before that as well.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Poor to end the fight that way, the headbutt was wrong but that was a real cheapshot from Mayweather. Isn't that the referee who also took the Floyd-Hatton fight and Hatton's people complained about him? Post-match was entertaining, ITV might be interested in getting Merchant to interview SAF.

Anything been said about a Pacquiao fight or are there still excuses not to make that fight happen?

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
:lol: Just seen it, well, you play with matches and you get burned.

Ortiz was out of order with the headbutt, can't make my mind up on the Floyd incident, whether the ref had told them to box on or not, then again if the ref had not told them to box on, should Ortiz be anywhere near Mayweather let alone touching him? If the fight had not been instructed to continue, why was the ref happy with the fighters approaching each other from the corners he sent them to?

It's bizarre how the ref seems to be talking to the ringside as the fight carries on and suddenly realised he has to watch the fight when Ortiz is on his arse unless he was advising time to resume because he's told the fighters to continue. He must have told them to, otherwise Ortiz wouldn't have thought 'oh okay then, I can move in to Mayweather now and walk towards him.'

Leg-End

Seems to me Cortez says "lets go" which to me is box on and obviously was to Floyd too, Ortiz was too busy trying to snuggle up and play nice despite using his head aggressively twice before in the same round and then blatently going for a DQ worthy butt.

Cortez is then looking to the side of the ring to indicate time to restart by the look of it and as he does Floyd finishes it. Pretty shoddy stuff from the ref really and not for the first time, in his day Cortez was one of the better refs but that day has long gone.

Zarlak

Floyd Mayweather Jr launched a furious tirade at Manny Pacquiao after returning from a 16-month lay-off to secure a controversial four-round knockout of Victor Ortiz.

Mayweather floored Ortiz with a left and a right while his fellow American appeared to be still apologising for a head-butt to claim the WBC welterweight title with his 42nd straight win.

The 34-year-old defended his tactics in the post-fight press conference by repeating the boxing mantra "protect yourself at all times" before the questions turned to a possible clash with the Filipino pound-for-pound king.
"The boy don't want to fight. All Pacquiao is doing is fighting my leftovers. I beat Ricky Hatton when he was undefeated. After I beat Ricky Hatton, then they go and fight him. I beat De La Hoya at the weight that he chose. He beat De La Hoya at a weight he hadn't made it twelve years.

"Every time I go out there I'm going to make 70m dollars. I don't need Pacquiao, " added Mayweather. "Where was he in 96, 97, 98, 99, 2000, 2001 when I was dominating the game. Now when I'm 34 they say this guy wants to fight.

"If I were to go up right now to heavyweight and compete with the Klitschkos, you would say 'Floyd Mayweather is on something.' But a man goes up from 105 to 154 and you say 'oh, it's all natural.' C'mon man, wake up.

"Pacquiao is famous because he is attached to my name. When they say Pacquiao, they say that's the guy they are trying to get to fight Floyd Mayweather. When they say Floyd Mayweather - they say that's all all-time great."
Someone's angry!

Nanderson

I ♥ Neymar
Pacquiao is the only one who can possibly beat Floyd. Mayweather didn't look special in this one, he was winning but not comprehensively. Despicable actions suckerpunching Ortiz while he was apologising with his hands down.

Ortiz is an idiot but that's not relevant. Cowardly act by Floyd and a decent ref wouldn't have let it happen.

Leg-End

How many times did Ortiz want to apologise though? He should have said sorry once and got on with it.

Zarlak

Can someone clear this up for me, because I don't know too many rules in boxing.

When the ref breaks them up, he sends them to the corners right?

So when he says box on, he allows the fighters to come back together and only then? Is my understanding of it. Is that right? Because if so, for Ortiz to then approach Floyd indicates he knows the fight is back on, and it's his own fault for trying to hug him and getting knocked out.

Or can the fighters approach each other when they have not been told to box on? Because then that rubbishes the paragraph before. If not though, and they only come together again once the fight is restarted, then why was Ortiz walking towards Floyd and the ref not moving him back again? If I understand it rightly that signals to me that both fighters knew it was back on again.

Nanderson

I ♥ Neymar
Can someone clear this up for me, because I don't know too many rules in boxing.

When the ref breaks them up, he sends them to the corners right?

So when he says box on, he allows the fighters to come back together and only then? Is my understanding of it. Is that right? Because if so, for Ortiz to then approach Floyd indicates he knows the fight is back on, and it's his own fault for trying to hug him and getting knocked out.

Or can the fighters approach each other when they have not been told to box on? Because then that rubbishes the paragraph before. If not though, and they only come together again once the fight is restarted, then why was Ortiz walking towards Floyd and the ref not moving him back again? If I understand it rightly that signals to me that both fighters knew it was back on again.

It's likely that both fighters knew the fight was back on, but in boxing it's not unusual to see boxers touch gloves/hug again before taking a step back and boxing again. You can say Ortiz apologised too much but apologising is hardly a malicious act, nothing to get too upset about. Floyd, whatever way you paint it, sucker punched him and he knew what he was doing. It's a shame because the fight was starting to get better. It was pure classless, and it's no wonder the majority of people, if they hadn't before, are starting to realise that although Floyd is a boxing genius, he is an utterly despicable person.

Zarlak

It's likely that both fighters knew the fight was back on, but in boxing it's not unusual to see boxers touch gloves/hug again before taking a step back and boxing again. You can say Ortiz apologised too much but apologising is hardly a malicious act, nothing to get too upset about. Floyd, whatever way you paint it, sucker punched him and he knew what he was doing. It's a shame because the fight was starting to get better. It was pure classless, and it's no wonder the majority of people, if they hadn't before, are starting to realise that although Floyd is a boxing genius, he is an utterly despicable person.
It's true that apologising is hardly a malicious act, but you're in the middle of a fight, the minimum expectation should be to get punched. He already apologised, kissed him, tried to apologise a second time, then got sent the corner, then he came in with a 'please Floyd acknowledge for a third time I'm sorry, I know we are in the middle of a fight but don't fight, just hug me' and got hit. IMO Floyd was seething from being headbutted and thought 'feck off, you've hugged me twice and kissed me, I get that you're sorry, but right now we've been told to punch each other by the ref, so here goes.'

Maybe Floyd could have waited, but maybe he just reached a point where he thought enough is enough, we're being paid to punch each other not to bum each other.

reddevilcanada

Ortiz is a dick for trying the headbutt, but at least he apologized. However, while Floyd was probably going to win anyway, there was no need to resort to that type of classless and unsportsmanlike conduct to get a win. But then again we're talking about a guy who's shit scared of losing his '0', so I guess no surprises there. And why the feck did they have that muppet as a ref in there, again? None of the 3 individuals did themselves any favor last night and rightly should be criticized. That said, that chick who sang the US national anthem :drool:

Claymore

Floyd comes across as a complete cock in the post fight interview. And the ref was incompetent...he should shoulder a large portion of the blame.
Joe Cortez is a tool. Remember in the Hatton v Mayweather fight he let their camp get in his head and wouldn't let Hatton anywhere near him in his style but then when it came to the later fight of Joe Calzaghe v Bernard Hopkins in USA, he let Hopkins do what he wanted, grab, hold, cheat the lot, because it was his style and he was the home fighter. Dirty ref IMO and if he reffed our PL games week in week out he get slaughtered way more than Webb, Dowd and co.

mr.suave

Typically classless stuff from Mayweather, but I suppose it spared Ortiz the beating he was inevitably going to receive if the fight had continued. Floyd was just too quick, too accurate and too elusive... unusually aggressive, too.

I thought Ortiz's size would be more of a factor but even when he managed to pin his man against the ropes, barely anything he threw landed cleanly. I think that headbutt was an early sign of desperation because you could see the fight slipping away from him. Stupid thing to do, though, and he could've at least admitted it instead of playing the "I'm too much of a nice guy to do that" card. Don't really need to discuss the KO but, feck me, sometimes it seems like the guy is on a mission to make as many people hate him as possible. Was funny seeing him and Larry Merchant at it again, though.

As for Cortez... no idea what he was playing at. You can say what you like about him giving some fighters preferential treatment but he's usually on top of things.

anything about now

MUFC lad living in a matriel world
Didn't see a problem with what Mayweather did. Cortez was unclear and got distracted, but i clearly saw him motion with his hands for the two fighters to continue. He didn't pause the fight while he looked away. Ortiz should not have let his guard down like that.

Floyd took the boy to school.

anything about now

MUFC lad living in a matriel world
Maybe Floyd could have waited, but maybe he just reached a point where he thought enough is enough, we're being paid to punch each other not to bum each other.
Wait for your opponent to be ready? Never. A professional fighter should never do that, nor be expected to do that. Floyd's instincts kicked in , while Ortiz was still in La-La-Land. He saw an opening and went for it. Good win for Floyd. May not have been the ending many had hoped for, but it's dumb to hate him for that.

mr.suave

Yeah there's no denying that Ortiz was naive to drop his guard like that. I doubt he'll be making that mistake again.

Still... pretty low stuff from Floyd. I bet there's plenty of other fighters who wouldn't have been quite so opportunistic.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Got no sympathy for Ortiz whatsoever.

If anyone had've butted me in the ring (ooh matron) like that then the ref would've have to drag me off after the 1/2 combination.

Fcuk him.

beardsleybob

Wait for your opponent to be ready? Never. A professional fighter should never do that, nor be expected to do that. Floyd's instincts kicked in , while Ortiz was still in La-La-Land. He saw an opening and went for it. Good win for Floyd. May not have been the ending many had hoped for, but it's dumb to hate him for that.
Can't say I agree with that. He clearly knew what was going on and took advantage of the whole situation. I don't blame him though, in his shoes I'd do the same to at least rock my opponent.

forevrared

How many times did Ortiz want to apologise though? He should have said sorry once and got on with it.
Exactly. They touched gloves, Ortiz hugged him and gave him a kiss, then tried to hug him again. feck off, they weren't there to hug each other. Ortiz deserves it if he goes in for a third apology on a guy who has his hands up defending himself (obviously ready to fight) and doesn't protect himself.

Regardless, Ortiz is to blame for the whole thing anyway. No headbutt and the whole situation is avoided.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
What's going down this weekend?

Does anyone have a reliable "fixture list" for Boxing btw? The BBC one is shite.

Widnes

Has anyone heard of this BoxNation channel coming to Sky, heard Frank Warren about it on the radio.

Frank Warren launches BoxNation, a new fight sports channel on Sky - Telegraph

Edit the website - BoxNation - channel 456 Does have the Virgin logo up on there but just for Sky at the moment.
£10a month feck off, this is going to greatly reduce the amount of domestic fights i get to see. Hopefully Ricky Hattons promotion company will sign the best young talent and he will stick to working with Sky Sports.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Megaupload and Megavideo are being cnuts found a link though:
MEGAVIDEO - I'm watching it
Password: sweetboxing
Thanks for that mate. Was a decent watch. The wife seems incredibly insincere.

Sergio Martinez is fighting tonight against Darren Barker. The Lee vs Vera rematch looks fairly interesting too.