The RedCafe Boxing Thread

mr.suave

Another good performance from Kell Brook tonight.
Yeah agreed, he's impressed me with his last 2 performances. Really precise and methodical. Would like to see him in there with the likes of Mike Jones or Soto-Karass in his next fight, or maybe that Senchenko fella for one of the belts (I forget which). I like the idea of Khan vs. Brook too, good first test at the new weight when Khan's ready to move up.

Rumours are that David Haye as quit boxing.
Tragic.

TheReligion

Abusive
If Haye packs it in, then we can safely say his excuse about the broken toe was a load of bollocks.

If it was genuine, there is no way he would pack it in without having another crack at one of the Klitschko's

mr.suave

There was talk of him challenging Vitali but, on paper, that's an even tougher fight for him, IMO. At least he had a puncher's chance against Wlad, but Vitali has never been down before has he?

I'm sure Haye will have been watching Adamek getting absolutely dominated by Vitali the other week, too, and probably decided (sensibly) that he'd rather skip the payday than suffer a similar fate... with no convenient excuse this time, either.

TheReligion

Abusive
There was talk of him challenging Vitali but, on paper, that's an even tougher fight for him, IMO. At least he had a puncher's chance against Wlad, but Vitali has never been down before has he?

I'm sure Haye will have been watching Adamek getting absolutely dominated by Vitali the other week, too, and probably decided (sensibly) that he'd rather skip the payday than suffer a similar fate... with no convenient excuse this time, either.
Agree with all of that. I think he knows he has no chance and there is no where to go for him, hence the retirement.

I am off to see Cleverley v Bellew saturday night. DeGale is also on the card along with Joe Selkirk and Paul Smith

Drifter

American
Looks like he was true to his word.Just announced his retirement.

More from British former world heavyweight champion David Haye on his decision to retire: "There's always one more payday. I didn't have to fight in the past three or four years. Financially, I was OK after my cruiserweight days. I was the heavyweight champion of the world and nobody can take that away from me."

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
True, but coming off a loss its a good result for him to pick up a title straight away against a pretty seasoned opponent.

I was suprised as I hadn't realised this is only Degale's 12th fight against a tough 29 fight champion. Not bad but I expect to see him fight a couple of hand picked opponents for at least the next two fights before a possible rematch with Groves.

Zen

Is the legend of Hopkins on tonight? On free sky tv somewhere preferably and not this prime time shitty channel.

FranklyVulgar

I've got a pretty little mouth underneath all the
True, but coming off a loss its a good result for him to pick up a title straight away against a pretty seasoned opponent.

I was suprised as I hadn't realised this is only Degale's 12th fight against a tough 29 fight champion. Not bad but I expect to see him fight a couple of hand picked opponents for at least the next two fights before a possible rematch with Groves.
how easily he got hit with the right hand was frightening. For a fighter who acts slick he really isnt. He didnt impress me, well he did and he didnt...

The main event was a good fight, dont think either can really go up against a top top fighter though.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Chad Dawson is a bitch lol look how happy he is to win the title that way. He picked Hopkins up and dropped him. This is boxing not MMA smh
I cant find a replay but my impression was that Hopkins was embarrassingly weak in the clinch. Dawson fouled for sure but Hopkins looked like a rag doll in that situation, especially for a guy thats had alot of success throughout his career by initiating clinches and landing all sorts of borderline legal and flat out illegal blows from that position. He looked more than happy to hit the mat and stay there.Ugly or not the clinch is a big part of boxing, and I'd expect to see Hopkins drive his hips back and his shoulders forward and fight for position in that situation.

My mate tells me I'm going mad though, and I have been on the beer since 12.45 this afternoon, so I'm probably going to completely change my mind tomorrow.

Regardless of the rights and wrongs its another big fight and another letdown in boxing. I'm a huge fan of both, but MMA seems to be coming up with great events on an almost weekly basis and boxing is serving up garbage. Again it may be the beer talking, but Im having a hard time mustering any enthusiasm for boxing at all right now. Its in a bad state.

jveezy

Fo' shizzle
It almost looked like Hopkins jumped on Dawson a little bit. I don't mind that Dawson pushed him off but the whole shitstorm afterwards was pretty pathetic. It wasn't a full blown takedown, more of a "get the feck off me" shove, but I couldn't help but think of The Rock's spinebuster right after it happened.

Leg-End

I'm no B-Hop fan but thats not a TKO. No contest else whats the point of having it.

Leg-End

Boxing needs an overhaul or something, how many times are they going to feck up these PPV's?

Leg-End

Kimbo is boxing now? :lol:

I'm pretty sure if you look closely you can see handles on that guys shorts.

Lance Uppercut

If there is one thing that both sides agree on from Saturday night, there is no interest in a rematch between Bernard Hopkins and Chad Dawson. At Staples Center in Los Angeles, California. Chad Dawson (31-1, 18KOs) stopped Bernard Hopkins (52-6-2, 32KOs) in the second round to capture the WBC light heavyweight title. Hopkins suffered a left shoulder injury after being pushed off from a clinch, which sent him down near the ropes.

Because Dawson used his shoulder and not his hands to push Hopkins off, the referee said there was 'no foul' on the part of Dawson.

Richard Schaefer, CEO for Golden Boy Promotions, who handle the career of Hopkins, will be filing a protest. He wants to overturn the decision but has no interest in making a rematch.

"There was no interest by any radio or TV outlet in talking to Dawson. He doesn't add anything to the promotion," Schaefer said.

Even if the WBC orders a rematch, Dawson and his promoter, Gary Shaw will go in another direction - "We've given up belts before," Shaw said.

:confused:

Fergies Formula

Mayweather 'wants Pacquiao on May 5'

ESPN

Could Floyd Mayweather Jnr v Manny Pacquiao finally be about to happen?
Floyd Mayweather Jnr does not plan on taking another 16-month break from the boxing ring, like he did after easily outpointing Shane Mosley in May 2010.

Instead, Mayweather, who knocked out Victor Ortiz on September 17, will make a relatively hasty return: May 5 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, advisor Leonard Ellerbe told ESPN.com on Wednesday night.

Mayweather's opponent has not been determined but Ellerbe said: "We're looking to make the biggest fight possible and everyone knows what that fight is, the little fella."

Ellerbe was, of course, referring to Manny Pacquiao. The welterweight champions and the top two pound-for-pound fighters in the world have been on a collision course for years. However, negotiations have fallen apart over the timing of drug tests.

Pacquiao is set to fight Juan Manuel Marquez for the third time on November 12 at the MGM Grand and is a heavy favourite. "Floyd made it very clear that he wants to give the fans the biggest fights that are out there. He wants to stay active," Ellerbe said. "We're going to do everything in our power to make the biggest fight out there for the fans and we all know what the fight is."

Mayweather, a five-division champion, has fought only five times since 2007. Ellerbe said Mayweather informed him and fellow adviser Al Haymon on Wednesday of his decision to return in May. "We had a discussion, Floyd, me and Al," Ellerbe said. "Floyd made it very clear to us what he wanted to do. He told us he is looking to make the biggest fight that is out there and to make it in May."

Ellerbe also informed Golden Boy promoter Richard Schaefer, who does not have a contract with Mayweather but has promoted his last five bouts, of the plan.

"I'm very excited that the sport's biggest pay-per-view star is going to be back on May 5," Schaefer told ESPN.com. "We have informed the pay-per-view industry and I have the arena on hold. I'm excited to continue my relationship with Floyd and his team. It's always fun to work with Floyd."

Although May 5 is seven months away, Mayweather's fights have typically been promoted for several months in advance of the fight. The first weekend of May is traditionally a weekend for a major pay-per-view fight.

"We have to plan any time you're the biggest star in the sport," Ellerbe said. "You have to plan in advance because his fights are events. In order to maximize the exposure you want to plan as far in advance as you can to make your event as big as possible. May 5, that is the date Floyd is fighting on. We have secured May 5 at the MGM. Floyd is excited to make his return."

Mayweather (42-0, 26 KOs), who turns 35 in February, reclaimed one of his old welterweight titles with his knockout of Ortiz in a fight that Golden Boy said generated 1.25 million buys and $78.44 million in domestic pay-per-view revenue. The buys tied the fight for third place all-time among non-heavyweight pay-per-views and gave Mayweather his third consecutive 1 million-plus pay-per-view fight and fourth in his last five bouts.

Although Mayweather plans to fight, he still faces several legal cases. He was acquitted last week of misdemeanour harassment charges alleging that he had threatened the lives of two security guards in the gated community in Las Vegas where he lives. But he faces a Friday trial date for a misdemeanour battery complaint alleging he poked another homeowner association security guard in the face during a different confrontation over parking tickets last November. Mayweather has pleaded not guilty.

In the most serious case, Mayweather faces four felony and four misdemeanor charges stemming from an alleged domestic dispute with his former girlfriend, who is the mother of two of his children.

Floyd Mayweather Jnr 'wants Pacquiao on May 5' | Boxing News | ESPN.co.uk

Lance Uppercut

I will believe it when they are throwing punches at each other in the ring.