The RedCafe Boxing Thread

Maajid

Formerly Mad
Get him in there with someone who has power and let him walk them down like he was doing with Paulie today. Maidana?

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Get him in there with someone who has power and let him walk them down like he was doing with Paulie today. Maidana?
I'd love to see him in there with Maidana. Either he'd look much better against someone cruder and far more flat-footed than Paulie, or more satisfyingly for me he'd get panelled on the jaw really hard. Leaving my hatred for him aside, it would be good to see his chin tested or see if he can tighten up his defence against more dangerous punchers.

CLK_FPC

Fists of Fury
He will raise his game against someone more threatening. The shame of it came in the form of the decision being split, he needs to stop being so lax and actually show the golf in class that exists/will exist between himself and his opponents.

Like us previously and Barcelona more recently a lot of the fight can be won before you step into the arena if you can convince your opponent he has little to no chance against you, Floyd does it and that's why he makes his fights look so easy.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Golovkin vs Macklin tonight!

Can't see anything other than a GGG win but it should be entertaining

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
I think if his fight with Sergio Martinez is anything to go by then Macklin still has a better chance than most people are giving him. He's alot quicker than most believe and was outboxing Martinez until the late rounds. Golovkin can also at times load up power behind his shot too often leaving good time to counter.

I don't believe this will be as one sided as some think.

Widnes

That was a brutal win for GGG, I can't see any current middleweight competing with him. As for the nights Boxing the domestic card earlier in the night was much more entertaining than the Macklin card. A few really good fights.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
I think that his most interesting and viable fights will be at 168. I have heard him say that he would fight Mayweather at 154 though Mayweather wouldn't touch that. At middleweight there is only really Martinez and he seems to be on a sharp decline at the moment. I think that he would blast Martinez inside 6 rounds. At 168 there is Stevenson, Froch and Ward; you could throw Kessler in to the mix as another fun fight. The only issue I feel is that at 168 he is going to be the smaller man, it might just prove to be a little too small to transfer all his attributes effectively against the elite at 168.

apotheosis

O'Fortuna
What do we make of the supposed fight between Froch and Groves? I just can't see anything other than a Froch win personally. I was hoping Froch might move up and have a go at Nathan Cleverley, i think that would be a far better fight, with a far less predictable outcome.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Friday Night Fights on ESPN is airing 3 fights in Hartford CT on Friday, 10 minutes away. Tickets are relatively cheap, so I'm thinking of getting a good view ticket for this one.

Billy Dib 35(21)-2 vs. Mike Oliver 25(8)-3
Featherweight – 10 Rounds
Eleider Alvarez 12(8)-0 vs. Allan Green 32(22)-4
Light heavyweight – 10 Rounds
Javier Flores 9(8)-0 vs. Rogelio De la Torre 10(6)-3
Welterweight – 8 Rounds

Am I throwing money away on this, or will I get good value for my money?

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
What do we make of the supposed fight between Froch and Groves? I just can't see anything other than a Froch win personally. I was hoping Froch might move up and have a go at Nathan Cleverley, i think that would be a far better fight, with a far less predictable outcome.

Froch would destroy him. Groves even admits to being dropped by him during sparring sessions, don't get me wrong Groves has improved as a fighter but I think the occasion as well as the skill level would get to him. He just doesn't have Froch's skill level or confidence.

apotheosis

O'Fortuna
Froch would destroy him. Groves even admits to being dropped by him during sparring sessions, don't get me wrong Groves has improved as a fighter but I think the occasion as well as the skill level would get to him. He just doesn't have Froch's skill level or confidence.
Yeah, it's not a match up that excites me either, because although you can never be sure of anything in boxing, i can only really see one outcome. What do you think of my suggestion that Froch moving up to face Nathan Cleverley at Light heavy would make for a far better fight?

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
Yeah, it's not a match up that excites me either, because although you can never be sure of anything in boxing, i can only really see one outcome. What do you think of my suggestion that Froch moving up to face Nathan Cleverley at Light heavy would make for a far better fight?

Would be an interesting fight, Cleverley being very technical but lacking any real knockout power and Froch having brilliant KO power but perhaps not quite having the same level of finesse as Cleverley (debatable).

It would also be interesting to see what happens to Froch's power with the step up in weight. Personally going on Cleverley's last couple of fights he needs a step up in level as I think he's stagnating, whether he has another level in him is yet to be seen however and fighting Froch would answer a lot of those questions one way or the other.

I do however think that Cleverley Vs Hopkins is the fight that the Cleverley camp really want at this point.

apotheosis

O'Fortuna
Would be an interesting fight, Cleverley being very technical but lacking any real knockout power and Froch having brilliant KO power but perhaps not quite having the same level of finesse as Cleverley (debatable).

It would also be interesting to see what happens to Froch's power with the step up in weight. Personally going on Cleverley's last couple of fights he needs a step up in level as I think he's stagnating, whether he has another level in him is yet to be seen however and fighting Froch would answer a lot of those questions one way or the other.

I do however think that Cleverley Vs Hopkins is the fight that the Cleverley camp really want at this point.
I agree, and that's exactly why that match up would be intriguing. tony bellew said he was surprised by cleverley's ability to take a punch, so i am not convinced Froch would have the same power once he moved up a weight. Anyhow pie in the sky at this point, we'll just have to hope they can get it on after their current commitments are fulfilled.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

David Price stopped again by Tony Thompson. Price is chinny and has shown shockingly poor durability. I am wondering where he goes from here.

No11

Supports
Aberdeen
David Price stopped again by Tony Thompson. Price is chinny and has shown shockingly poor durability. I am wondering where he goes from here.
Difficult to see people take him seriously after this.
There is no disgrace in getting knocked down but his reaction to what didn't look like a knockout punch in the first fight was very worrying.
I havn't seen the 2nd fight but if he was blowing out of his arse after 3-4 rounds then he has serious problems.

JP77

I remember the time people were actually trying to say Price was a quality fighter :lol:

Fury/Haye is officially announced for September 28th. Entertainment ahead!

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I remember the time people were actually trying to say Price was a quality fighter :lol:

Fury/Haye is officially announced for September 28th. Entertainment ahead!
Fury still has to agree... nothing is done simply when it comes to boxing...

Jimy_Hills_Chin

The best boxer pound for pound, in my opinion is Andre Ward.

Most people still give Floyd Mayweather the number one spot simply because after Manny fell away nobody has beaten Floyd. The fact remains that since Mayweather left the 130lbs division many years ago, he has avoided most of the truly interesting and career defining fights that the hardcore fans want to see. His resume of the past few years has been made up of fighters that you would give no more than a 25% chance of beating him. There was a fight with future Hall of Fame fighter Miguel Cotto but that came five years after it was an interesting fight, it was a typical piece of Mayweather matchmaking, catch him when he is cold.

Andre Ward is quite a boring character, a devoutly religious man who calls himself 'Son of God'?! He has faced the best fighters in and around his division in recent years and has not even been in a close fight. In fact, he has barely lost a round. He doesn't have a big punch but he has just about everything else a fighter could desire: speed of hand and foot, a good chin, tactical nous and extreme dedication to his craft. What impresses me most about him is that he knows how to work effectively for part of the round to score points, but he also knows how to completely nullify his opponent for the rest of the round, he steals every second of the round. He is prone to using the dark arts and criticised for not leaving his home town very often but I can't see anyone who, if all fighters were equal in weight, could beat him.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
I see a 2min clip of that conference, Fury is a funny cnut in it :lol: I want him to win, find him quite likeable and down to earth tbh. Shit boxer though.

No11

Supports
Aberdeen
I see a 2min clip of that conference, Fury is a funny cnut in it :lol: I want him to win, find him quite likeable and down to earth tbh. Shit boxer though.
Just watched them on Ringside, Fury is an absolute arse.
Haye is a much better fighter but with the size difference you never know.

Leg-End

Fury for all his size and talk doesn't actually have big power and he's been wobbled by some poor fighters.

This one feels distinctly like Maccarinelli - Haye where everyone involved desperately wanted it to be a big fight when in reality it was an alright fighter against a good fighter. Unless Haye is totally unfocused for it I can't see it being anything other than a Haye KO inside 8 rounds, Fury isn't anywhere near as good as he likes to tell people.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

I don't think that many people see this as a competitive fight. Fury is tailor made for Haye, he is careless with terrible balance and coordination. Haye as the aggressive counter puncher that he is will stay out of range easily with his foot speed, he will wait for Fury to give him an opening and then nail him. I don't envisage a particularly entertaining fight and I back Haye to nail him inside three. This certainly isn't a PPV quality fight.

Fury spoke some truth about Haye's heavyweight resume but the fact remains that Haye is an exceptional boxer who is a match for anyone his size. He was the lineal king at cruiserweight and that has to be respected. Fury has a long way to go before he has achieved anything like Haye. I don't think that he is good enough to either.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
I fancy Haye to knock him out around six, Fury isn't anywhere near as good as he thinks he is.

Kell Brook vs Carson Jones tomorrow as well. The first fight was pretty entertaining as Brook started to lose it in the final rounds. If that had carried for another few rounds he would have lost, so Kell probably feels that he has a point to prove tomorrow.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
fecking hell, Kell absolutely walking this so far. One KD already and could be over soon

zub2007

Brook says he wouldn't mind Matthysse or Broner next fight. Needs to be realistic, those fights are a no go

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Brook says he wouldn't mind Matthysse or Broner next fight. Needs to be realistic, those fights are a no go
Are they?

Kell is bigger than both of them. Personally I find Broner to be very overrated. Matthysse is a massive puncher but he is careless and Brook is a skilled counter puncher. Brook needs to start mixing it at that level now. I would be eager to see either of those fights.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Brook's defence was poor at times last night, he kept dropping his hands and I think someone like Matthysse would punish that in a way Jones couldn't. Broner would be a good fight though, but I can't see why Broner would go for that - plenty off less dangerous fights out there that would give him the same or a bigger payday

Jimy_Hills_Chin

I am not saying that Brook would win either of those fights but I see him as live in both. I think that Brook has shown a good chin so far. Remember that Jones has 25 KOs in his 35 wins, he does carry some power. He hit Brook many times cleanly without ever wobbling him. Brook does seem to be a bleeder from his nose, though that looks dramatic it isn't really anything to worry about. Brook is very large at Welterweight whilst Matthysse is a Junior Welterweight, Brook carries power too and Matthysse is always careless when looking to decapitate his opponent. I actually think that Brook's bogeymen are going to be the fighters who have foot and hand speed as he is quite cumbersome and static himself.

Regardless, I think that those are the level of fights that Brook needs to be making at this stage in career.