Gaming The RedCafe General/Random Gaming Chat Thread

Ainu

Did you ever play the original Buzz back on the PS2? That was a cracking quiz game
We had one of these games back when I was co-housing with 4 other people and played it all the time, on PS3 with four of those wireless buzzer controllers. The perfect game to play with a group of non-gamers, everyone joined in. After a while you started remembering the answers but it was great while it lasted. That and Singstar were the most successful games in the household, by far.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
We had one of these games back when I was co-housing with 4 other people and played it all the time, on PS3 with four of those wireless buzzer controllers. The perfect game to play with a group of non-gamers, everyone joined in. After a while you started remembering the answers but it was great while it lasted. That and Singstar were the most successful games in the household, by far.
Back in the days when gaming was social! :(

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Anyone play that Forspoken demo ?
I always thought it looked like one of those shallow generic demo reels you see when a new Engine has been designed.

Last edited:

Ainu

Finished Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen last week and now I'm a firm believer and looking forward to the second game. It's a strange game, I could name numerous flaws or terrible design decision, and yet I still loved it. The final play time ended up crossing the 100h border, that's including a run through the terrifying and brutally difficult Bitterblack Isle. I have no idea if it was actually popular at the time or how many people played it. Anyone else on here who's played it?

Another game that had been on my radar for ages and I've now completed in a couple of sittings: Guacamelee (Super Turbo Championship Edition). It won't be surprise to anyone who has played it, since it's incredibly highly rated, but that was simply brilliant. Usually I feel like metroidvanias either have great combat or platforming, but rarely both. This one is excellent at both these things, with some great ideas thrown into the mix. The level of challenge was fine on the whole, with some very tough but fair sections on the way to 100%. I loved it, now I'll definitely have to play the second game at some point.

I've just started Nioh 2, which was a monthly PS Plus title. I'm expecting more of the same as in the first game, so fantastic combat with mediocre level design. It feels a bit harder than the first one, but I'm guessing that's just because I'm not used to it yet and you have so little to work with in the early game.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
If I want to talk yo team mates on Warzone, can I not just use the mic on my beats headphones? Or do I need a gaming headset? I'm talking about xbox, here.

caid

Finished Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen last week and now I'm a firm believer and looking forward to the second game. It's a strange game, I could name numerous flaws or terrible design decision, and yet I still loved it. The final play time ended up crossing the 100h border, that's including a run through the terrifying and brutally difficult Bitterblack Isle. I have no idea if it was actually popular at the time or how many people played it. Anyone else on here who's played it?

Another game that had been on my radar for ages and I've now completed in a couple of sittings: Guacamelee (Super Turbo Championship Edition). It won't be surprise to anyone who has played it, since it's incredibly highly rated, but that was simply brilliant. Usually I feel like metroidvanias either have great combat or platforming, but rarely both. This one is excellent at both these things, with some great ideas thrown into the mix. The level of challenge was fine on the whole, with some very tough but fair sections on the way to 100%. I loved it, now I'll definitely have to play the second game at some point.

I've just started Nioh 2, which was a monthly PS Plus title. I'm expecting more of the same as in the first game, so fantastic combat with mediocre level design. It feels a bit harder than the first one, but I'm guessing that's just because I'm not used to it yet and you have so little to work with in the early game.
I played Dragon's Dogma, was good stuff. Dont know why it wasn't a much bigger hit to be honest.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Agree totally but I still love proper RPGs where the length suits the game. The Witcher 3. Persona 5. Etc.
me too, but it’s annoying when you want to play so many games but have little time as an adult. :(

Bobski

Finally got around to completing The Last of Us 2. The gameplay, combat and stealth is superb, a ton of fun to experiment with. Definite pacing issues with narrative structure and some of the characters though, Dina, Jesse, Owen, Mel just aren't interesting enough to make them engaging, while the Abby/Lev storyline is ok, but it takes a long time to warm up to them given where it was in the game.

After the original I didn't think it needed a sequel, a perfectly ambiguous ending, but I want one for this, hopefully one that is a little more hopeful, allows Ellie to be redeemed in some way.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Some bangers coming this year, as well!

What's everyone getting? I'm getting Dead Space, Jedi:Survivor, Resi 4 remake and PSVR!
Street Fighter 6
Season : A letter to the future

And hopefully Little Devil Inside, though I remain doubtful on that ever being completed.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
I've said it before, but don't buy an Xbox elite controller series 2. The bumpers on mine now work only 50% of the time.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Some bangers coming this year, as well!

What's everyone getting? I'm getting Dead Space, Jedi:Survivor, Resi 4 remake and PSVR!
Dead space and Jedi will be on gamepass within the year so I will try and be patient for them.

I have preordered RE4, Street fighter 6 and Zelda so far

Gonna wait to see how Hogwarts reviews so maybe that too

AaronRedDevil

Playing FF Crisis Core atm and the last boss battle is driving me insane. Keeps killing me Everytime I get close to beating him.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Finished Somerville last night and it's an interesting blend of minimalist story-telling and classic sci-fi tropes. The way the mystery unfurls at glacial pace compliments the austere but oftentimes striking visuals, which in effect tells a War of the Worlds-esque story about trying to save your family from an unexpected alien invasion. It's a short game at only 4-5 hours.

The puzzles are largely on-point, though clearly derivative of the designer's experience working on both Inside and Limbo. Where it sort of falls apart is the sense that the emotional climax happens just before the end. It's a fantastic scene, but then the game keeps going and piles on layers of mystery in a way that completely detaches you again. I've read some reviews that say there's multiple endings but IMO it doesn't seem to suit a game of this nature. The former games did it much better. They had unresolved mysteries but benefitted from clearer intention.

At the very least, it's a unique game set in a post-apocalyptic Britain. You'll see remnants of culture at the edge of destruction and think ahh I recognise those things. 3/5

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Finished Somerville last night and it's an interesting blend of minimalist story-telling and classic sci-fi tropes. The way the mystery unfurls at glacial pace compliments the austere but oftentimes striking visuals, which in effect tells a War of the Worlds-esque story about trying to save your family from an unexpected alien invasion. It's a short game at only 4-5 hours.

The puzzles are largely on-point, though clearly derivative of the designer's experience working on both Inside and Limbo. Where it sort of falls apart is the sense that the emotional climax happens just before the end. It's a fantastic scene, but then the game keeps going and piles on layers of mystery in a way that completely detaches you again. I've read some reviews that say there's multiple endings but IMO it doesn't seem to suit a game of this nature. The former games did it much better. They had unresolved mysteries but benefitted from clearer intention.

At the very least, it's a unique game set in a post-apocalyptic Britain. You'll see remnants of culture at the edge of destruction and think ahh I recognise those things. 3/5
Just checked this out, looks cool, loved Inside and Limbo and this also whiffs a little, artistically at least, of Another World which is one of my all time classic games. Will check this one out dude.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Just checked this out, looks cool, loved Inside and Limbo and this also whiffs a little, artistically at least, of Another World which is one of my all time classic games. Will check this one out dude.
Good good I can always rely on. The Eurogamer review mentioned Another World I think but I haven't played it so I can't comment on the similarities.

I'd say the first parts are similar to EGttR. It has the same quaint English countryside setting - though the lackadaisical charm doesn't last too long.

You have an xbox right? It's on gamepass

Volumiza

I'd say the first parts are similar to EGttR. It has the same quaint English countryside setting
Now you're talking! Those words are like a dozen oysters and champagne!

Yeah, I picked up an X Box on black friday but haven't got round to doing owt with it. This will probably be my first foray.

Another World was an instant classic back in the day and it still plays well today, it was very 'on point' and ahead of its time when it first came out. Atmospheric and ambiguous storytelling with striking (at the time) visuals.

Ainu

It feels like I've gotten over the initial difficulty hump in Nioh 2 but man, this game loves to throw dark realms at the player, which massively slows down progression. Not really a fan of that. There is also a serious and bizarre issue with lost inputs on the dpad, so you can completely miss a heal at a crucial point and die as a result. Reading various threads on gamefaqs and reddit it seems to be very widespread. It is extremely noticeable and disrupting. Or perhaps lost inputs isn't really the correct term, as sometimes you actually get the healing animation and sound, but the item isn't used, which makes it even weirder.

Good game otherwise though, the combat is just as fun or even better than in the first game.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Did anybody play Return from Monkey Island? I thought it was pretty fun, albeit a little bloated in the mid-section. Loved the ending and have enjoyed reading tons of salty comments about it on Reddit over the past hour :D

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Did anybody play Return from Monkey Island? I thought it was pretty fun, albeit a little bloated in the mid-section. Loved the ending and have enjoyed reading tons of salty comments about it on Reddit over the past hour :D
Yep. I've been playing the new Monkey Island game recently, quite pleasant and more straightforward than I anticipated it to be - I remember original Monkey Island games to be quite convoluted and hard to navigate around, but I was probably about 12 when I played them so it might have been that. Also, my current perception may be driven by the fact I have only completed about an hour and a half so far. I played Thimblewood Park on Switch recently, which inherits a lot of things after games like Monkey Island, and it got so crazy in its complexity and how particular it required you to be about certain puzzles that I just stopped playing (I don't really want my experience to be mostly about checking online walkthroughs at all times).

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Yeah was decent. There’s a thread about it on here somewhere.

b82REZ

I'm in a bit of a gaming slump currently.

Nothing is holding my attention but I really want something to get my teeth into.

Witcher 3 held my attention for a bit but the enormity of another playthrough put me off.

Tried Mass Effect but the jankiness of the original put me off and now I'm worried it'll ruin my great memories of the second if I go back to it.

I feel like I'm just in a waiting room for Tears of the Kingdom; but that's months away and I need something to tide me over.

Any suggestions?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff

Nothing is holding my attention but I really want something to get my teeth into.

Witcher 3 held my attention for a bit but the enormity of another playthrough put me off.

Tried Mass Effect but the jankiness of the original put me off and now I'm worried it'll ruin my great memories of the second if I go back to it.

I feel like I'm just in a waiting room for Tears of the Kingdom; but that's months away and I need something to tide me over.

Any suggestions?
I got over this pretty quickly and still loved the second game. I'd say it's worth persevering.

b82REZ

I got over this pretty quickly and still loved the second game. I'd say it's worth persevering.
I'll give a bit longer then. Honestly the gunplay is what's the killer though. It's so unresponsive I can't see me preserving for 30+ hours.

Volumiza

I'll give a bit longer then. Honestly the gunplay is what's the killer though. It's so unresponsive I can't see me preserving for 30+ hours.
The gunplay and the buggy driving. Time has not been kind. I've played enough to know I'm not that bothered to stick it out. I'm sure it was / is great but my 'to play list' is too long to play stuff just out of determination. I did hook into it for a time but hit a block point and have subsequently lost interest.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
All I'm doing is playing games I've fecking played already. Witcher 3, Control, Spiderman, all next gen editions.

I got PS+, the middle tier, for a year. I need to actually try some new games on it.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Any suggestions?
Play Outer Wilds (pretty please)or Nier Automata

amolbhatia50k

All I'm doing is playing games I've fecking played already. Witcher 3, Control, Spiderman, all next gen editions.

I got PS+, the middle tier, for a year. I need to actually try some new games on it.
I tried giving upgrades a go but it’s a struggle unless it’s one of my absolute favourites (like Witcher 3).

Middle tier has pretty much everything since classics aren’t great

amolbhatia50k

Mass Effects combat was always a bit shit. In fact gameplay all round was uninteresting even for its time. It’s all about the world characters and story