Gaming The RedCafe General/Random Gaming Chat Thread

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Anyone played Medieval Dynasty? If so, how well did you do or are you doing and how hard are you finding it?

Was recommended it by a mate and after a few hours on it, I think he’s right.

It’s a survival rpg, a bit of a mix of minecraft, the forest and Skyrim and only £20

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Olds on the caf saying they're getting worse at video games with age prompted me to disprove this by trying to 100% complete Super Meat Boy.

So, yeah. Uhm. Jury's out on the caf's hypothesis.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
@Dirty Schwein ; not sure if you play games on your PC outside of WW but this may be interesting to you:

Ainu

Out of curiosity I counted how many games I currently have on my PSN wishlist: a whopping 79. Add to that around 15-20 games already in my library that I want to play, the games I still want to play on my Switch (not least Tears of the Kingdom, but also a behemoth like Xenoblade Chronicles 3) plus the fact I also have a more than capable gaming pc, and it's fair to say this is getting out of hand.

The hard life of a gamer. I think I need help.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Anyone played Medieval Dynasty? If so, how well did you do or are you doing and how hard are you finding it?

Was recommended it by a mate and after a few hours on it, I think he’s right.

It’s a survival rpg, a bit of a mix of minecraft, the forest and Skyrim and only £20
Yeah, it's a great little game. I've logged about 50 hours on it but that includes deleting and restarting a few times to get the perfect set up. I think on the last save I have I've got to a point where I've a main village and two outposts.

https://www.youtube.com/@HecticNasari

This guy has a good youtube with tips etc.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Out of curiosity I counted how many games I currently have on my PSN wishlist: a whopping 79. Add to that around 15-20 games already in my library that I want to play, the games I still want to play on my Switch (not least Tears of the Kingdom, but also a behemoth like Xenoblade Chronicles 3) plus the fact I also have a more than capable gaming pc, and it's fair to say this is getting out of hand.

I know there's been controversy, largely around poor PC ports and Microsoft being sucky, but holy shit it's been a serious first half of the year so far for games.

Zelda, Octopath 2, Resident Evil 4, Jedi Survivor, Dead Space, Hogwarts, Metroid Prime, FE: Engage - I haven't played so many of them yet, just don't have the time.

Then FFXIV, Spiderman, Armored Core VI, Baldurs Gate 3 - so many more to come.

Ainu

I know there's been controversy, largely around poor PC ports and Microsoft being sucky, but holy shit it's been a serious first half of the year so far for games.

Zelda, Octopath 2, Resident Evil 4, Jedi Survivor, Dead Space, Hogwarts, Metroid Prime, FE: Engage - I haven't played so many of them yet, just don't have the time.

Then FFXIV, Spiderman, Armored Core VI, Baldurs Gate 3 - so many more to come.
A counter argument could be that three of those are remasters/remakes, but yeah, it's not a bad list. It's not just this year though, my wishlist contains stuff from over a decade ago all the way up to games that aren't released yet. Backlog anxiety has become an actual thing for me over the last couple of years. I guess I'll have to accept that I will never be able to catch up.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
A counter argument could be that three of those are remasters/remakes, but yeah, it's not a bad list. It's not just this year though, my wishlist contains stuff from over a decade ago all the way up to games that aren't released yet. Backlog anxiety has become an actual thing for me over the last couple of years. I guess I'll have to accept that I will never be able to catch up.
You do not want to see my desktop currently if you don't want gaming anxiety. I kid you not, there's over 30 <£5 steam games alone both old and new. That's without the recent big hitters, and installed games not shortcut from Steam/Epic games/GoG :lol:

And like you I haven't even scratched TOTK yet, plus promised my boy I'd relearn and teach him Rimworld...

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Yeah, it's a great little game. I've logged about 50 hours on it but that includes deleting and restarting a few times to get the perfect set up. I think on the last save I have I've got to a point where I've a main village and two outposts.

https://www.youtube.com/@HecticNasari

This guy has a good youtube with tips etc.
It really is a great game. I’ve infected a few people at work with it too so there’s currently 5 of us all sharing ideas.

It’s nice that it can also be a relatively relaxing experience too.

Ainu

You do not want to see my desktop currently if you don't want gaming anxiety. I kid you not, there's over 30 <£5 steam games alone both old and new. That's without the recent big hitters, and installed games not shortcut from Steam/Epic games/GoG :lol:

And like you I haven't even scratched TOTK yet, plus promised my boy I'd relearn and teach him Rimworld...
I've given up on my Steam list ages ago. At some point I kept buying collections because they were like 70% off or better, with zero hope of (or sometimes even interest in) ever playing them. I once bought a pack with like 20 Star Wars games in it ffs, most of which are total garbage. :lol: Or a whole Infinity Engine pack on GOG, I mean, who the hell has time for that? That's hundreds of hours right there.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
It really is a great game. I’ve infected a few people at work with it too so there’s currently 5 of us all sharing ideas.

It’s nice that it can also be a relatively relaxing experience too.
Are they still updating it regularly? Last time i played was before christmas.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I don’t know, I only downloaded it a week or so ago and there’s been nothing in that time.

I’ve not noticed too many bugs though, all seems relatively well sorted.

I’ve just restarted again :)
Just looked and they are but they seem to be quarterly. One of the next updates should be adding co-op.

Revan

Assumptionman
Please please PLEASE be good!

I often list SS2 top 3-5 in my all time list, such a creepy and brilliant game. I really hope this isn't full of dumbed mechanics.
This is the remake of the first game, right (I did not play the first one). SS2 was indeed excellent, the game when I really had to manage bullets more than any other.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I somehow missed the system shock boat despite considering Deus Ex to be a God tier game. And from what I understand they have similarities. Either way I hope they do a great job so I can experience a modern version of the classic.

caid

I cleared most of my backlog during lockdown. If i didn't get around to it then then i was never going to.

Ainu

This is the remake of the first game, right (I did not play the first one). SS2 was indeed excellent, the game when I really had to manage bullets more than any other.
It's a remake of the first game, yes. Night Dive Studios are also working on a SS2: Enhanced Edition apparently, but that seems to be a much less comprehensive treatment than the remake. They already gave the first game a similar Enhanced Edition in 2015. I expect if the current remake does well enough, a SS2 remake will follow.

Revan

Assumptionman
It's a remake of the first game, yes. Night Dive Studios are also working on a SS2: Enhanced Edition apparently, but that seems to be a much less comprehensive treatment than the remake. They already gave the first game a similar Enhanced Edition in 2015. I expect if the current remake does well enough, a SS2 remake will follow.
It is weird that they chose to remake the much more less famous game. Hopefully it is a good one though, not many great games in this genre (at the top of my mind I have only Deus Ex, SS2, BioShock as great game of the genre).

Bebe

I've got a good 20 titles in my PSN library to play, and probably another 70 in my steam library I haven't even touched.

If you find a therapist dealing with this particular issue, please refer me.

amolbhatia50k

Tails of Iron - I enjoyed it. It’s like a mix between Hollow Knight and a Souls game as it’s not really much of a platform but borrows a lot from the former, and is all about combat like Souls games but also has some narrative flavour. It’s also about rats and frogs and narrated by Gerald of Rivia. 8/10

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Finished Aegis Rim: 13 Sentinels last night. I found it to a sometimes good, often convoluted game with a fairly fun tower defense part. The first 10 hours and last hour were my favourite parts - they actually wrap up the story quite well.

Ainu

Tails of Iron - I enjoyed it. It’s like a mix between Hollow Knight and a Souls game as it’s not really much of a platform but borrows a lot from the former, and is all about combat like Souls games but also has some narrative flavour. It’s also about rats and frogs and narrated by Gerald of Rivia. 8/10
That was a recent PS+ Essential title right? It's in my library anyway. Good to hear it's decent, I'm going to give it a go at some point.

I managed to finish a game that had been in my library for about a decade yesterday, Dust: An Elysian Tail. That was actually pretty good, a 2d metroidvania from just before the genre exploded. The metroidvania elements are fairly mild, as is the platforming. It's mostly a lot of fighting. The hand drawn style and voice acting are divisive, but I enjoyed them. Not a lot of depth and easily overshadowed by later games in the genre, but decent fun.

amolbhatia50k

That was a recent PS+ Essential title right? It's in my library anyway. Good to hear it's decent, I'm going to give it a go at some point.

I managed to finish a game that had been in my library for about a decade yesterday, Dust: An Elysian Tail. That was actually pretty good, a 2d metroidvania from just before the genre exploded. The metroidvania elements are fairly mild, as is the platforming. It's mostly a lot of fighting. The hand drawn style and voice acting are divisive, but I enjoyed them. Not a lot of depth and easily overshadowed by later games in the genre, but decent fun.
Yup. It’s good fun. In the first hour you’ll know whether it’s worth committing to you because that’s sort of the basis of the entire game. The combat just clicked with me so for me it was worth it.

I need a good indie from the ps plus collection to play. Something which isn’t too complex or requiring that much player immersion as with Witcher 3, Botw and deathloop I’ve playing enough games of that ilk.

amolbhatia50k

Won’t bother watching that as everybody knew it was going to be trash. They’ve all been memeing it for ages now.

Ainu

A game no one asked for and everyone could see was heading towards disaster. What were they thinking? At a triple A price point as well.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus