Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

AaronRedDevil

Strange they really decided to release Oppenheimer and Barbie. Its like picking between 2 games. One is Red Dead Redemption and the other is Fortnite. Gee I wonder which will sell better.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Strange they really decided to release Oppenheimer and Barbie. Its like picking between 2 games. One is Red Dead Redemption and the other is Fortnite. Gee I wonder which will sell better.
Wouldn't surprise me to see some kind of box office record set next week given the new Mission Impossible will only be on its second weekend too.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Black Panther: Wakanda Forever
These are not even entertaining anymore, just looks nice. I did think the bad guy was decent but overall, just meh 4/10

Wing Attack Plan R

These are not even entertaining anymore, just looks nice. I did think the bad guy was decent but overall, just meh 4/10
The first one was no great shakes either. I'd put the first one forward as an example of a really talented team (actors, sets, costumes, the whole shebang) wasting their time, and ours.

Suv666

Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning - 3/10

The story is beyond absurd even by MI standard. The stunts are meh. Too long. The relationships and the decision characters take are nonsensical.
Boring waste of money.

pauldyson1uk

The story is beyond absurd even by MI standard. The stunts are meh. Too long. The relationships and the decision characters take are nonsensical.
Boring waste of money.
I was hoping it get better reviews than what it has had.
I re-watched the previous one last week, enjoyed them all, over all the 6 films I would give the 6-7/10.
Some of the stuns were a bit OTT.
I enjoyed the relationship between them all, liked it when Rebecca Ferguson came in to it.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I quite enjoyed it tbh. I'd maybe have given the first one 4/10 but I thought the sequel was a solid 6/10 popcorn flick.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff

Boring waste of money.
The 2 or 3 reviews I saw said it was the best one yet. I'll be annoyed if it is really shit as I am watching/rewatching all of previous films to watch this.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Similar to the first one where it looks gorgeous but very forgettable characters, story and action. Way too long. Thought it was a little better than the original in the sense that the family dynamic added to the drama 6/10

Suv666

The 2 or 3 reviews I saw said it was the best one yet. I'll be annoyed if it is really shit as I am watching/rewatching all of previous films to watch this.
Naa and I'm not being a high brow dummy.

I went to it ready to embrace whatever nonsense was thrown at me as long as it was fun. The set pieces didn't land for me.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Just came out of the theatre and first impressions are it’s the second worst of the franchise.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Insidious
I know it might not be perfect but this is a special movie to me because it scared me shitless at the cinema with well crafted scares (how the feck James Wan got that much squeeze out of a "exposition around a dinner table" scene was awesome) as well as characters that I really enjoyed watching and a concept that felt fresh at the time. It basically confirmed to me that making horror films will always be my passion. Love this movie 10/10

Insidious 2

Enjoyed it more on the first watch but felt it was a bit messy on the second. Still, not half bad and some good scares and great tension throughout. Really shows the difference a good horror director makes. The script is pretty basic but James Wan really milks it for all its worth and you see the drop-off in quality once he leaves the director's chair for the rest of the franchise 7/10

Insidious 3

Another one that I preferred on the first watch. Still, it has some good ideas and decently directed by Leigh Whannell, who wrote all three but this was his directorial debut. The monsters were effective enough and some pretty cool scare moments that stuck with me 6/10

Insidious: The Last Key

First one not to be directed by Wan or Whannell (they got in Adam Robitel of The Taking Of Deborah Logan fame). I really didn't like this the first time round but appreciated it more on a second watch. Whilst there were some scares that really didn't work, it did try be different rather than just emulate Wan's stuff from the previous movies. The story was pretty interesting, exploring the past of Lin Shaye's character, who is pretty much the franchise's protagonist at this point 6/10

Insidious: The Red Door

So watched all the above to get ready for this, the final entry for the franchise. In this installment, the series focuses back on the Lambert family, who took centre stage for the first two films and this is a direct sequel to the second film. They used all the original actors, which was nice to see and I was genuinely interested in where they would go in terms of narrative. But alas, I didn't really enjoy this and nearly fell asleep a few times.

Directed by Patrick Wilson (who also is the lead in this and the first two films), it felt very generic and played it safe. There were a few moments where it appeared a nice jump scare was on the horizon (I don't mind a jump scare if done right) but instead it was a random BOO! moment. That's not scary, just made me jump because it was so loud. They also barely used Lin Shaye, who really carried the rest of the franchise and I found the omission of Specs and Tucker to be a huge let down as they did bring the comedy light heartedness to the previous films and this desperately needed that.

I found that the narrative was going for something a bit deeper (the broken relationship between a father and his son) but it all just felt a bit flat and the horror seemed tacked on. Only after the film did I realise that this was the only instalment Leigh Whannell did not write, and you can really tell as it feels tonally disconnected to the rest of the films. Instead, they got the goon who wrote Halloween Kills (one of my worst slasher films) and Firestarter (awful film), which is a bizarre choice.

The post credits scene also infuriated me 5/10

Last edited:

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Past Lives
Thought this was the best movie I've seen that came out in 2023 so far. Superb drama. The cinematography is excellent (except for one scene which was a pet peeve). The scenes are very intense, well written, and acted and do great at maintaining tension and some form of conflict throughout the entire movie. Definitely one some of the cinephiles on here will like I think. Really appreciate how Asian dramas don't follow the typical Hollywood formulas.
8.5/10 (about the highest I can rate a movie that doesn't have any crimes in it. Probably a 9/10 if I don't hold it against Broker and Decision to Leave from last year)

Suv666

Asteroid City 7/10

Not the biggest Wes Anderson fan. His movies feel a bit gimmicky to me, but quite enjoyed this one. The revolving door of characters really made it feel like a play unfolding at break neck speed.

Reminded me of Birdman actually, which is a bit weird cause tonally and stylistically they couldn't be any more different.

Sweet Square

ˈkämyənəst
Return To Seoul

Film about the struggle of identity and finding a place in a globalised NATO world.

Ji-Min Park puts in a good performance as the lead and while the film loses it in the final half an hour(Girlboss Henry Kissinger)overall it was a enjoyable watch. Also nice soundtrack.

Tbh I would have liked it a lot more if I was about 10 years younger. It’s a film trying it’s hardest to be very cool and it probably is but well I’m in my 30’s now and only interested in watching old Soviet dudes talk about the pointlessness of life.

7/10

Last edited:

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Mission Impossible 27
Tom Cruise is once again tasked with saving the world, this time from an AI gone so rogue he's hired latino Gary Lineker to be really mean to Tom Cruise and all the young beautiful women that are inexplicibly all instantly in love with Tom Cruise, even though Tom Cruise's character has no personality beyond being a deceptively fast runner for such a small man and is wearing the nose of a mister potato head mask.. There's also a Russian submarine that is so covert that the entire crew speaks English to seem less Russian which will apparantly be the first destination in the next movie and how does Ving Rhames never age.

The action is awesome though.

8/10

ScholesyTheWise

Reality (2023)

Based on real events but a depiction of them rather than a docu,

A young lady (Sydney Sweeney) who works as a translator from Persian to English for a private contractor,
is questioned by FBI agents outside of her house, having just gotten back from the grocery store, regarding a classified document that she might have leaked to an outside source and relates to Russia.

The dialogue is true to the recordings of the questioning as it happened in real life.

one of the better minimalist films I've seen in the last couple of years.
Almost nothing happens and yet the film is gripping alright. all shot in the same location.

The acting by Sweeney and the main 2 guys who question her is superb.
They manage to make you feel tense and awkward.

7.5/10.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Mission Impossible: Decent 90s action film. A bit silly of course but fun and fairly well grounded in MI folklore. A bit odd how so many great actors are killed off so early but .... 5/10

MI2:
Not a patch on the original. Decent action but not much else. Weirdest bit is them flying from Sydney to the outback to monitor what was going on in an operation in Sydney. Then returning with no explanation for going or returning. Thandie Newton was poor although she was given bugger all to work with, and was only a dodgy Bond style sexual prop for the men. Basically her role was to screw the villian because reason. 4/10

MI3
: The best to date. The plot made vague sense and the best villian so far. Great action that works in context. 6/10

MI: Ghost Protocol
Another step up with a plot that works within the general silliness of MI. Renner is a good addition and as usual the stunts are great. 7/10

MI Rogue Nation
Another step up. All the usual action thrill but a more ccoherent plot and better female characters. Great fun 7.5/10

MI Fallout
Despite Renner being MIA this was the best film of the series to date. Great action. Decent villains. Empowered female characters. Very silly as usual but in a very fun way. The stunts were top notch. 8/10

Last edited:

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
MI2: Not a patch on the original. Decent action but not much else. Weirdest bit is them flying from Sydney to the outback to monitor what was going on in an operation in Sydney. Then returning with no explanation for going or returning. Thandie Newton was poor although she was given bugger all to work with, and was only a dodgy Bond style sexual prop for the men. Basically her role was to screw the villian because reason. 4/10
@Sweet Square

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Wibble film reviews is like Rickie Lambert reviewing different water.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Enys Men is very lush.

When films are now mostly constant noise from opening scene to closing credits, it's amazing the impact a film can have by using simple colours and focusing on basic compositional elements. Lots of stark, gestural images. There is one startling match cut, up there with Lawrence of Arabia and 2001.

A well made film, solid piece of art. It's not breaking new ground and I can name a hundred things that it reminded me of, but when placed upon a background of muddy aimless content it really stands out. At 90 minutes it's a tad long, cycling through the themes one too many times.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Mission Impossible: Decent 90s action film. A bit silly of course but fun and fairly well grounded in MI folklore. A bit odd how so many great actors are killed off so early but .... 5/10

MI2:
Not a patch on the original. Decent action but not much else. Weirdest bit is them flying from Sydney to the outback to monitor what was going on in an operation in Sydney. Then returning with no explanation for going or returning. Thandie Newton was poor although she was given bugger all to work with, and was only a dodgy Bond style sexual prop for the men. Basically her role was to screw the villian because reason. 4/10

MI3
: The best to date. The plot made vague sense and the best villian so far. Great action that works in context. 6/10

MI: Ghost Protocol
Another step up with a plot that works within the general silliness of MI. Renner is a good addition and as usual the stunts are great. 7/10

MI Rogue Nation
Another step up. All the usual action thrill but a more ccoherent plot and better female characters. Great fun 7.5/10

MI Fallout
Despite Renner being MIA this was the best film of the series to date. Great action. Decent villains. Empowered female characters. Very silly as usual but in a very fun way. The stunts were top notch. 8/10
One of those rare franchises that gets better over time.

Felt the same towards Fast & Furious but then Part 8 happened and it all turned to shit.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff

Felt the same towards Fast & Furious but then Part 8 happened and it all turned to shit.
MI has improved.

I can't compare it with F&F as I tried one early on and hated it, so I never went back. I hate those sorts of cars and driving, so no surprise.

Wing Attack Plan R

Enys Men is very lush.

When films are now mostly constant noise from opening scene to closing credits, it's amazing the impact a film can have by using simple colours and focusing on basic compositional elements. Lots of stark, gestural images. There is one startling match cut, up there with Lawrence of Arabia and 2001.

A well made film, solid piece of art. It's not breaking new ground and I can name a hundred things that it reminded me of, but when placed upon a background of muddy aimless content it really stands out. At 90 minutes it's a tad long, cycling through the themes one too many times.
What’s the plot?

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Strange claim as the first one is the best one. Got better after the third one again, as #2 (sorry @Sweet Square) and #3 were a bit meh. Then, they just embraced their blockbusterness, became grand spectacles, but also tend to be somewhat generic and all melt into one. The first one is the only one that has some sense of identity, that actually stands out on its own (although #2 does too, to an extent, it's just a little bit messed up as a film).

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Strange claim as the first one is the best one. Got better after the third one again, as #2 (sorry @Sweet Square) and #3 were a bit meh. Then, they just embraced their blockbusterness, became grand spectacles, but also tend to be somewhat generic and all melt into one. The first one is the only one that has some sense of identity, that actually stands out on its own (although #2 does too, to an extent, it's just a little bit messed up as a film).
Nah. First stands out a bit on overall plot, but it deserves the lower half rankings by virtually all critics, both professional & layperson.