Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
People voted for Mussolini and Tony Blair. Don’t trust people!

The injection scene in the lab Newton ignores both Cruise and the Scottish dude then out of love/spite turns her body into a £37 million pound weapon. It’s a scene which flips the typical Bond style sexual prop imo.

Plus at the end of the film she goes away to jump off a cliff alone. A attempt to end her life on her own terms which is counter to the bond style prop.
Except injecting herself made no sense other than as a device for her to be saved by Cruise. More damsel in distress nonsense imo.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
After talking about the good reviews for the latest Mission Impossible we thought we should catch up on all of the series first. My wife and I haven't seen 5 onwards (or possibly 4 onwards) and my son hardly remembers the first 3. Particularly the original. So we have decided on Wibble family MIathon. We started with1 on Friday night and we will watch 3 tonight.

Mission Impossible: Decent 90s action film. A bit silly of course but fun and fairly well grounded in MI folklore. A bit odd how so many great actors are killed off so early but .... 5/10

MI2:
Not a patch on the original. Decent action but not much else. Weirdest bit is them flying from Sydney to the outback to monitor what was going on in an operation in Sydney. Then returning with no explanation for going or returning. Thandie Newton was poor although she was given bugger all to work with, and was only a dodgy Bond style sexual prop for the men. Basically her role was to screw the villian because reason. 4/10
MI3: The best to date. The plot made vague sense and the best villian so far. Great action that works in context. 6/10

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I was on a plane yesterday and watched Steven Spielberg's autobiography The Fabelmans, as well as The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent, that kinda sets out to mock Nicholas Cage but is really a kind of homage to him by the guy himself.

The Fabelmans is pretty alright. It felt like a bit of a light film, but it does touch upon heavier themes about relationships, belonging, etc. I suppose they just weren't themes that really resonated with me, but it's well-balance and nicely keeps you coming along. Great cameo by David Lynch as well. 3/5

I wasn't as big a of the Nicholas Cage movie. I thought the film would more like JCVD (which is great), but it just likes Cage too much and hence doesn't really get beyond some memes and clichés about him. There's still a lot of good humor in it though, and apart from some overly corny moments, it's mostly good fun. Just much more superficial than I expected. 3/5

So now they have the same scores, but let's say The Fabelmans is a strong 3/5 and The Unbearably Long Name a weak 3/5.

Last edited:

Wing Attack Plan R

Chevalier (2022), with Kelvin Harrison Jr, Samara Weaving, Sandra Boynton. (Based on) The true story of the son of a French plantation owner and a black slave, who rises up to some level of fame in pre-revolution France. He’s a master fencer, brilliant composer, and virtuoso violinist.

Story is his bid to gain acceptance in Parisian opera. Impeccably shot, beautifully edited, strong performances from the whole cast. I think it was lacking a bit of “grande finale” type of scene, something cathartic. Especially as his patron at court is the Queen herself Marie Antoinette, and knowing how things went for her, it was strange to just kind of leave before that resolved.

We’ve discussed this here before, how much fealty towards historical accuracy is required. In this case it probably would have felt like a more satisfying story if they had deviated and allowed a more “Hollywood “ type ending, e.g., a climactic fencing/sword fight with the Marquis, Antoinette being clapped in irons, etc. I would also have preferred a more visceral depiction, (lots of scenes in bed but no nudity could have been improved with nudity). 110 minutes and I wonder what was left on the cutting room floor that might have provided some catharsis.

7/10

Tarrou

Not much. Not very funny and the brown face and depiction of disability took whatever fun there was out of it. Felt like punching down rather than edgy satire.
It didn't feel that way to me. I thought they got the tone right which was a piss-take of the movie industry doing that in the past.

I thought it was hilarious, especially the scene with Cruise on the phone to the kidnappers, and the fake movie trailers were great too

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
It didn't feel that way to me. I thought they got the tone right which was a piss-take of the movie industry doing that in the past.

I thought it was hilarious, especially the scene with Cruise on the phone to the kidnappers, and the fake movie trailers were great too
It's great, Wibble just doesn't like anything

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
It’s very much a product of its time, and it reeks of Joe Eszterhaus’s misogyny. That said, it’s gloriously ridiculous, tawdry fun. A better take on the neo-noir femme fatale trop would be Body Heat, which I fully recommend.
Hmm..need to check that one out, think I confuse it with Miami Blues. What‘s your opinion on American Gigolo if I may ask?

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
I'd be surprised if the target audience was little girls, considering the director and the cast. I'm very curious about this one.
Well generally speaking little girls would get taken to see something like this by their Mom or an older sister, who broadly speaking probably wouldn't go otherwise

Jev

The only men that go to see this are essentially there on a promise!
Nah, I'm looking forward to seeing it personally. Greta Gerwig makes quality movies and the cast looks good. Mixed impressions from the trailers, though.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I'll be going, most likely alone. Greta Gerwig is a very good director, and the fact she's taken this on is really intriguing. I'm surprised by the amount of people that aren't seeing there's gonna be a lot more beyond what meets the eye in the marketing stuff, considering all the names attached to the project.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
How utterly stunted to think that’s true.

Personally think it’s going to be a great film and will be critically well received. Rumours of an Oscar for Gosling. Unsure how accurate they’ll be.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Rewatched The Imitation Game on a whim yesterday for the first time since it was in the theaters. Being a touch formulaic & its apparent historical inaccuracies aside, it is a phenomenal film led by Cumberbatch’s stellar lead performance. A quality period biographical that deserves a viewing.

8.5 / 10