Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

jungledrums

I thought Baby Driver was a good film, well made and rather conventional. I thought it worked well as a kind of Junior The Driver/Theif movie but was a little overly derivative for my taste. For all the homage, Shaun and Hot Fuzz feel distinctly like Edgar Wright films, rather than knockoff genre fare. Baby Driver though has a slight taste of that late 90s post-Tarantino filmmaking, where every youngster with a camera was knocking off samey, high octane violence and whizz-bang style, set to the sounds of rock-pop oldies.

The acting is very good and I found myself increasingly swept up in the action as the film progressed, even as the characters and storyline left much to be desired. If I was to compare it beside other driver films I've seen it might go about...

1. The Driver
2. Thunder Road...
5. Baby Driver...
42. Driving Miss Daisy...
64. Dude Where's My Car 2...
100. DVSA Hazard Perception Test...
101. Actually getting hit in a drive-by shooting
183. Drive
Never understood the hate for Drive. Loved that movie, thought it was very enjoyable/atmospheric.

squiggle

Supports
Ligue 1, Arsenal
Drive is pretty well liked.
I thought so, and I enjoyed it. I’ve enjoyed pretty much everything with Carey Mulligan. Quite a while ago I was watching a series on the BBC and saw a young actress and thought ‘who’s that?’ and it was her. Not a very interesting story. But she’s talented.

I watched the My Little Pony film with my niece. A few too many abrupt changes in motivation but it was lovely. Highly recommended.

Will Absolute

I thought so, and I enjoyed it. I’ve enjoyed pretty much everything with Carey Mulligan. Quite a while ago I was watching a series on the BBC and saw a young actress and thought ‘who’s that?’ and it was her. Not a very interesting story. But she’s talented.

I watched the My Little Pony film with my niece. A few too many abrupt changes in motivation but it was lovely. Highly recommended.
I found it moving..

:boring:

pauldyson1uk

The Devils Advocate.

First time watching this, WHY I thought it was excellent.
Reeves and Pacino brilliant , great acting from Theron.
I had not read anything about it.
I did not see the ending coming at all.
One of the best films I have seen this year.

9/10

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
The Devils Advocate.

9/10
:lol: You watch so many shit films and hadn't seen this? How the hell do you do that?

Sweet Square

ˈkämyənəst

Have you watched Shame ? She is incredible in that, all the praise most went to fassbender(Who is great) but I've thought Mulligan was easily the best thing in the movie. It is a Steve Mcqueen movie so it's always going to be fantastic.

pauldyson1uk

Kill Switch

A pilot battles to save his family and the planet after an experiment for unlimited energy goes wrong.
70 percent of the film was shot as if you're inside an interactive video game. More than half of those scenes require you to read what's displayed on the graphic user interface as seen by the lead character to know what's going on.
It was not terrible, decent story line, could have been done better.

4.5/10

Last edited:

pauldyson1uk

Unlocked

A CIA interrogator is lured into a ruse that puts London at risk of a biological attack.
decent cast , Orlando Bloom , John Malkvich and Micheal Douglas.
Noomi Rapace as the CIA Interrator is very good.
It starts out as your typical CIA thriller but gets all twisty and turny with intricate plot type stuff (which actually makes sense and doesn't have many plot holes or really stupid antagonists) and masses of action. It was nicely scripted too with some brutal looking violence,A good very easy to watch thriller.

6.5/10

pauldyson1uk

Eden Lake

Refusing to let anything spoil their romantic weekend break, a young couple confront a gang of loutish youths with terrifyingly brutal consequences.
Micheal Fassbender and Kelly Reilly both excellent.
Take a while to get going, but when the attacks happen , they are brutal.
It's dark, bloody, depressing, somewhat realistic and the ending, did not see it coming.
If you like sadistic torture and blood , you will should watch this.

6.5/10

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Baby driver

It's pretty much style over substance but the style is great. Highly entertaining, fun and on the back of a great soundtrack, I can forgive a little mess in the last third of the movie which was not on the same level as the rest of it. Also, although, there are similar movies it manages to look fresh and original in it's on way.

The soundtrack goes in the car instantly.

8/10

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
King Arthur
Not sure what I made of this. Some good scenes and set pieces but the tone was all over the place. Charlie Hunnam was either horrible or excellent... I couldn't tell :lol: Such a strange movie 6/10

Transformers: The Last Knight

The same old bullshit but even worse than ever before. Sooo long, with needless scenes, characters who appear and vanish, with no explanation. A mess on all levels 3/10

Baby Driver

Looked great, amazing editing work and a solid soundtrack but the plot was paper thin and the character motivations were questionable. Felt 20 minutes too long 7/10

The Secret Life Of Pets

Starts decent but once the adventure gets going, it feels like a lifeless movie with no real point to it 5/10

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
The Devils Advocate.

9/10
It's not perfect, but it's an immensely enjoyable film to watch, one of those that keeps you gripped throughout. Pacino is batshit crazy in it, brilliant :lol:

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Sci-fi week:

Blade Runner: 2049 - 8/10
Excellent and spectacular sequel but not a truly great film. Bit flabby in presentation, slightly meandering in plot and lacking some of the pathos of the original - probably because the antagonists were comparatively sterile. On the plus side some moments were beautifully executed and some excellent ideas were treated in sensitive and thoughtful ways. Gosling and de Armas were both very good and Ford surprised me by successfully making an effort (Hoeks and Wright not so much). The visual presentation was utterly stunning, particularly the city-scapes and unlike others I thought the gigantic soundscape was a perfect match (Not usually a fan of Zimmer's bombast either). Overall I'm massively relieved they didn't screw this one up and actually managed to make a film that stands on its own merits. Even if it doesn't quite match the original I still reckon it's the best sci-fi to come out of Hollywood in many a year and it definitely deserves another watch.

Passengers - 3/10

Shiny wank.

Rogue One - 7/10
Surprisingly good romp and far better than Force Awakens. Decent story, cool action, big explosions = big tick. Jyn was a much more believable character than whatsherface in the other one, they invented a decent robot companion and Vader's cameo was good fun. I only had to wince once in the entire movie. Only bum note was Diego Luna who came across as a bit wet. Fine - more like this please.

Okja - 5/10
Captivating to start, crap to finish. Wonderpig was supremely well designed and I was thoroughly invested in the story until it left Korea. After that it sort of lost its way and eventually chickened out for the sake of the children.

Will Absolute

Eden Lake

Refusing to let anything spoil their romantic weekend break, a young couple confront a gang of loutish youths with terrifyingly brutal consequences.
Micheal Fassbender and Kelly Reilly both excellent.
Take a while to get going, but when the attacks happen , they are brutal.
It's dark, bloody, depressing, somewhat realistic and the ending, did not see it coming.
If you like sadistic torture and blood , you will should watch this.

6.5/10
:nervous:
Remind me never to accept an invitation to your house, Paul.

shabz

The Death of Stalin - A very dark comedy, excellently written and so funny. It probably wont be everyone's cup of tea, but I enjoyed it a lot. The casting is perfect and the timing of all the cast's delivery was great. I highly recommend this movie. 8/10

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I just finished watching Assassin Creed and i'm not really sure why people were shitting on it so much? I read a few reviews afterwards and transparently the storyline was hard to follow? Seriously what? I've only played Assassin Creed 2 and followed the story with no problem...? It was better than most of the comic book turds that have been pushed about recently.

pauldyson1uk

Cabin 28

Based on one of the most infamous unsolved murder cases in American history, this film follows a family who are terrorized at an isolated cabin by mysterious assailants.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keddie_murders

Everything about this movie was just plain awful. The acting, the writing, I struggled to make it to the end. I had some hope for this movie based on the events that inspired the movie, it could have been something great

1/10

pauldyson1uk

Wind River.

A veteran tracker with the Fish and Wildlife Service helps to investigate the murder of a young Native American woman, and uses the case as a means of seeking redemption for an earlier act of irresponsibility which ended in tragedy.
Jeremy Renner and Elizabeth Olsen from the Avengers movies are both excellent in this.
The scenery, the score, the dialogue and the acting were all stunning. Some of Jeremy Renner's best work. He's been spending so much time playing spy and superhero lately that I think people tend to forget that he was nominated for Hurt Locker and The Town. His performance here is even better.

Most would not watch a movie I recommend and that fine , I do watch some shit, but not this , it is a must watch.
I cant find a single thing to fault in it.

10/10

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Wind River.

A veteran tracker with the Fish and Wildlife Service helps to investigate the murder of a young Native American woman, and uses the case as a means of seeking redemption for an earlier act of irresponsibility which ended in tragedy.
Jeremy Renner and Elizabeth Olsen from the Avengers movies are both excellent in this.
The scenery, the score, the dialogue and the acting were all stunning. Some of Jeremy Renner's best work. He's been spending so much time playing spy and superhero lately that I think people tend to forget that he was nominated for Hurt Locker and The Town. His performance here is even better.

Most would not watch a movie I recommend and that fine , I do watch some shit, but not this , it is a must watch.
I cant find a single thing to fault in it.

10/10
Came in to review this and give it a 9. Watched it last night. Renner and Olsen are pretty incredible in this, IMO.

Oscar nomination potential I think.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
47 Meters Down
Kinda fun shark film about two sisters stuck in a shark cage, 47 meters down in the ocean, surrounded by sharks and with 1 hour of oxygen. The characters do pretty much what you would do in real life so no stupid moments (generally) and the film creates a decent sense of dread and tension. The ending is a marmite thing, I personally quite liked what they did... Just wish it ended 1 minute earlier 6/10

pauldyson1uk

Gerald's Game

While trying to spice up their marriage in their remote lake house, Jessie must fight to survive when her husband dies unexpectedly, leaving her handcuffed to their bed frame.
WOW what a film, Carla Gugino was excellent has Jessie.
Some parts were hard to watch and the handcuff scene was brutal.
For the second night in a row, I cant find a single fault with a film.
The best Stephen king adaptation I've watched.

10/10

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
Yeah, was watching Wind River yesterday and thinking to myself that he's pretty underrated too.

Plus there's also this ofcourse.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Gerald's Game

While trying to spice up their marriage in their remote lake house, Jessie must fight to survive when her husband dies unexpectedly, leaving her handcuffed to their bed frame.

10/10
I saw the trailer for this and want to watch it but the wife thinks it's like 50 Shades so refuses :(

Dark Tower
What a pile of wank. It's only 1 and a half hours, yet it took me two sittings and both times I dozed off for a bit. The only good thing in it was Idris Elba and the only thing I remember from the film was Elba telling a homeless man to go home :lol: Should have been a TV series 2/10

Marauders

A host of deadly bank heists are investigated by the FBI and point to a conspiracy. Starring Bruce Willis. The actual heist scenes are awesome and tense and overall the film was ok but not memorable. A bit too long and has twists that you can see a mile off. Didn't hate it but nothing special 5.5/10

pauldyson1uk

I saw the trailer for this and want to watch it but the wife thinks it's like 50 Shades so refuses :(

Dark Tower
What a pile of wank. It's only 1 and a half hours, yet it took me two sittings and both times I dozed off for a bit. The only good thing in it was Idris Elba and the only thing I remember from the film was Elba telling a homeless man to go home :lol: Should have been a TV series 2/10

Marauders

A host of deadly bank heists are investigated by the FBI and point to a conspiracy. Starring Bruce Willis. The actual heist scenes are awesome and tense and overall the film was ok but not memorable. A bit too long and has twists that you can see a mile off. Didn't hate it but nothing special 5.5/10
There is a shadow of 50 Shades , handcuffed to the bed bit but thats it.
Not seen the other 2 , read a few bad reviews of Dark Tower.
Marauders sounds OK.

jungledrums

Gerald's Game

10/10
Just watched this, credit where it's due, it was very good.