g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
Also, Memento, Shutter Island, 1408, Donnie Darko, Requiem for a dream, Moon, Oldboy, Sphere, Timecrimes, Looper, Triangle, The gift.

All great films you'll probably like.

Last edited:

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
Slightly fun fact: I watched Angel's Egg again a couple of years ago whilst doing ketamine. It was a very fitting combination until I kinda overdosed and disappeared into my own strange, lonely and slightly trippy world for a couple of hours.

OohAahMartial

Watched Geostorm last night. Formulaic Hollywood action, cheesy script with disturbing social programming (we need Weather Modification and a One World Government). Ludicrous abilities given to the satellites and I almost felt disappointed that the world didn't get completely destroyed, but they failed to create any genuine feelings at any point in the film.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Gerald's Game

Netflix adaptation of the Stephen King book and definitely one of the better efforts. Gugino and Greenwood are both strong enough to carry the high concept premise through it's running time and there's at least one scene that will make you look away in horror.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Security
An ex-military captain (Antonio Banderas) takes a job as a security guard in a mall. He and the other 4 security guards must protect a young girl from a mob of assassins led by Ben Kingsley. 90's style action film that knows exactly what it is and runs with it. I had a blast watching this and loved that most of the characters did what you would expect in real life. I just wish there was something extra in the final act 7.5/10

Archie Leach

Gooner
Supports
Arsenal
The Meyerowitz Stories (New and Selected) - primo Baumbach. Funny, motor-mouthed, neurotic with terrific performances from Adam Sandler, Ben Stiller, Dustin Hoffman etc. Probably my favourite of his with Frances Ha and The Squid and the Whale. Don't know how I feel about Netflix' distribution of feature films. I'd rather see this in a cinema but what are you going to do?

hubbuh

Also, Memento, Shutter Island, 1408, Donnie Darko, Requiem for a dream, Moon, Oldboy, Sphere, Timecrimes, Looper, Triangle, The gift.

Nice one pal! Not seen a couple of those. If you like that sort of film I'd recommend Identity for a fairly run-of-the-mill but still enjoyable dark vibe flick. If you can get past the fact it stars John Cusack...

hubbuh

Gerald's Game

Netflix adaptation of the Stephen King book and definitely one of the better efforts. Gugino and Greenwood are both strong enough to carry the high concept premise through it's running time and there's at least one scene that will make you look away in horror.
The foot part?! That big beast man with his glowing eyes licking her feet was the best bit. Was pretty forgettable apart from that for me.

Andy_Cole

The ones I've seen I love. Will have to watch the ones I haven't!

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
The foot part?! That big beast man with his glowing eyes licking her feet was the best bit. Was pretty forgettable apart from that for me.
I think he means the skin ripping off of her arms when she's yanking it out of the cuffs[\spoiler]

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
Nice one pal! Not seen a couple of those. If you like that sort of film I'd recommend Identity for a fairly run-of-the-mill but still enjoyable dark vibe flick. If you can get past the fact it stars John Cusack...
Yeah, I've seen it too.

Oh, and 1408 is also with John Cusack btw. I don't think he's that bad in it.

hubbuh

:lol: no you weirdo, the bit where
she de-gloves her hand to escape the cuffs. I defy anyone not to watch that and whince
That was filth as well tbf. I actually thought it got better as it went on, with the flashbacks and the shaggy dog starting to feck with her. Ending was a bit cornball.

ZAGREB RED

Moon is a pretty under-rated classic. BBC often show it late night from time to time. Memento is just a classic film and Requiem for a Dream is one of those films everyone needs to watch.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Wind River
Never even heard of this film until @pauldyson1uk mentioned it. Amazing slow burn mystery with solid performances all round, but extra credit must go to Jeremy Renner, who I think is one of Hollywood's most underrated stars. Loved it from start to finish. Highly recommend 9/10

Archie Leach

Gooner
Supports
Arsenal
Yeah, it caught my attention because it looked a bit odd, a surreal Australian drama by a female director sounds kinda promising. But then, it could just be twee magical realism too.
Australian films are completely ignored by the industry here, unless they've caught overseas attention, they often only play one or two cinemas.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
I watched an Australian film the other day, Morning of the Earth. Surfing is inherently boring but if you slap on some psychedelic haze and a nice period soundtrack, it's a quite pleasing thing to have playing in the background.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Hard to miss here as any beach with surf is packed with surfers especially if close to an urban centre.

pauldyson1uk

Wind River
Never even heard of this film until @pauldyson1uk mentioned it. Amazing slow burn mystery with solid performances all round, but extra credit must go to Jeremy Renner, who I think is one of Hollywood's most underrated stars. Loved it from start to finish. Highly recommend 9/10
Glad you liked it, I was not expecting to to be that good.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
The Dark Tower

Preposterously shit.

1/10

Brawl in Cell Block 99

Preposterously violent.

9/10

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Blade Runner 2049
Gorgeous to look at and amazing to listen to. Technically, this is a ten out of ten. However, the characters (especially the male ones) lacked any depth and the film was a tad too long. Every scene seemed to linger a little too long and it went downhill after Harrison Ford was introduced. One thing that really made me laugh:

When Ryan Gosling was fighting Luv at the end, it was hilarious watching Ford drowning in the background for some reason

Overall, I did enjoy myself and nice to see a thinking man's blockbuster as opposed to the usual superhero shite 7.5/10

The Hitman's Bodyguard

Pretty funny buddy cop style movie, carried by the chemistry between Ryan Reynolds and Samuel L. Jackson but I wanted it to be less formulaic, constantly relying on genre tropes. Though there were moments where I laughed out loud, I expected a lot more considering the talent involved and the kick ass trailer for the film 6/10

The Crucifixion

A journalist takes a case where a woman died whilst being exorcised by a priest. So lame, badly acted, badly shot and poorly written. Fell asleep quite early in so if I want to bore myself to death, I may give it a second chance 1/10

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Anyone know good prison movies? Prison movies have always interested me. I've already watched Felon, American Me (partly prison) Shawshank Redemption and Lock Up.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Anyone know good prison movies? Prison movies have always interested me. I've already watched Felon, American Me (partly prison) Shawshank Redemption and Lock Up.
Le Prophete. You'll see some on here claim it's overrated, but I fecking love it.