Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

SteveTheRed

Just watched Blade runner. I liked it a lot, the chilling atmosphere, the scenes, acting. It's a good movie. I never watched the 1st move, just read what's it about (I know I know..).
The best part, actress who is Joi in film. :D:drool:
Anyway looking forward to the 3rd movie.
I watched the original for the first time the other day, and I've gotta be honest... I struggled with it, it's just so dated (which is a given it's from 1982!) but I did enjoy the concept of it and story.

Going to try and watch the new one soon.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Anyone else a bit disappointed with Hollywood's supply these days? I get that big franchise blockbusters make big bucks and comic material is milk-worthy at the moment but it rather sucks for people like me who aren't interested in dumb formulaic action movies and comic movies (or Oscar-baiting drama's). And the conventional crime/thriller genre is completely dead. Let's take Sicario for example: great production values and a few good action scenes but the rest of the movie is so dull.

Perhaps I'm overly pessimistic but that's just how I feel about it. :D

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Anyone else a bit disappointed with Hollywood's supply these days? I get that big franchise blockbusters make big bucks and comic material is milk-worthy at the moment but it rather sucks for people like me who aren't interested in dumb formulaic action movies and comic movies (or Oscar-baiting drama's). And the conventional crime/thriller genre is completely dead. Let's take Sicario for example: great production values and a few good action scenes but the rest of the movie is so dull.

Don't worry bro. I was talking to one of the producers of The Ritual film and he has asked me to show him my concept script... It's a horror film thought so probably not your cup of tea :lol:

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
You're a writer?
No, but I do a lot of script writing for my work (short form promo work). But I always wanted to write and direct a horror and he saw my passion so asked me to do this project. If they like it, they'll probably get a script doctor on board to make it better but realistically, it'll probably get rejected :lol:

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
No, but I do a lot of script writing for my work (short form promo work). But I always wanted to write and direct a horror and he saw my passion so asked me to do this project. If they like it, they'll probably get a script doctor on board to make it better but realistically, it'll probably get rejected :lol:
I reckon you've read about Oren Peli, the guy behind Paranormal Activity? Sounds like you could take some inspiration from his life story. :D

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue

It's been like this for a long, long time. Luckily one can always find solace in World Cinema.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
I reckon you've read about Oren Peli, the guy behind Paranormal Activity? Sounds like you could take some inspiration from his life story. :D
Is he the computer software developer that made PA on his spare time? If so then yes... although it took him a damn long time to get that to fruition.

Thing is, filmmaking has 2 big factors as to whether you make it or not. 50% is talent and hardwork... without these two, you're going nowhere. The other 50% is contacts and lucky timing. Having a contact helps you immensely, and if you get your work in front of the right person and at the right time... you never know where it can go.

I've looked into the history of many of my favourite current horror directors (James Wan/Mike Flanagan/David Sandberg etc) and this rings true with them all!

Ban

I watched the original for the first time the other day, and I've gotta be honest... I struggled with it, it's just so dated (which is a given it's from 1982!) but I did enjoy the concept of it and story.

Going to try and watch the new one soon.
I downloaded it but knowing my rhythm of watching movies I'll see it in 6 months. :D

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Man On Fire (2004): 7/10

Good movie, very good. However, I remembered it to be better than it actually was. I guess that's what watching lots of movies does to you, nothing seems to be really 'original' and 'exciting' anymore cause you've already seen it before. Man On Fire is a great action/crime flick that rises above the mediocrity but still has some flaws I cannot ignore.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
Wheelman (2017)

Netflix original starring Frank Grillo (who I love). Shot entirely from an in-vehicle perspective, Grillo's acting keeps you hooked and maintains the tension even if the twists and turns can be predictable at times. At 82 minutes definitely worth a watch, 7/10

buchansleftleg

A lot of films are just too overblown now - 2 hours 20 minutes has become a "standard time" rather than 90 minutes. I saw Kingsmen golden circle and it was just too long - it's a fun bit of fluff - fine - no need to be longer than 1 hour 45 minutes.

It's strange isn't it that we are told about "attention span" reducing and that editing is getting more jumpy and fast - but films are getting longer and longer!

Don't get me wrong, I'll commit to a long film if it is worth it or the story requires it. I've sat through all 9.5 hours of "Shoah" at the old Cornerhouse cinema in Manchester!

However you standard Hollywood fare does not really need this navel gazing.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Behind The Mask: The Rise Of Leslie Vernon
The next great psycho horror slasher has given a documentary crew exclusive access to his life as he plans his reign of terror over the sleepy town of Glen Echo. I loved What We Do In The Shadows and this is quite similar film, albeit it came out earlier. It's not as funny but it resonated with me as I grew up watching slashers. Quite an interesting take on the tired genre and definitely worth a watch for those that were into this genre back in the day 7/10

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Anybody know where I can find an up-to-date list of full movies that are on YouTube, please?

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan

Barely been anything for a year now.

pauldyson1uk

A Dark Song

A determined young woman and a damaged occultist risk their lives and souls to perform a dangerous ritual that will grant them what they want.
This is a mysterious, deliberately-paced psychological thriller with two interesting characters stuck together in a house for months.
The Occultist was a major prick
The writing and acting was excellent.
The only slight problem was the last 10 mins, it was just WTF, but it did not detract from how good the film was, well worth a watch.

7/10

Archie Leach

Gooner
Supports
Arsenal
It's been like this for a long, long time. Luckily one can always find solace in World Cinema.
Has Hollywood ever consistently produced quality films outside the 30s and 70s? And even then it was in spite of the studios, not because of them. Audience behaviour is what influences them more than anything, not a lack of skilled artists.

ZAGREB RED

Just watched Jungle, based on A true story about an Israeli backpacker who ends up stranded alone in the Bolivian jungle, Daniel Radcliffe plays the main role.Set in the 80s, very good, and the kind of film you might watch and think it was too far-fetched but the fact it is based on true story makes it all the more incredible. Thomas Krteschmann plays a shady Austrian who lures Radcliffe and his backpacker pals into a trek into the jungle with the promise of gold and the chance for one of the group, a budding photographer, to take pictures of undiscovered tribes deep in the uncharted jungle and get his name and pictures in National Geographic.
It was released last Friday in the USA, doesn't seem to be a UK release date so far but you can watch it on Amazon Video for £5.99. Worth a look.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
A Dark Song
Watched it off of @pauldyson1uk review and have to say, I did quite enjoy it. A psychological horror/drama/thriller that deals with the occult, love, loss and faith. Very well written and well acted but might be a bit too slow paced for some. It kept circling back to certain plot points for some reason, and had these bits been taken out, it would have been better. Didn't mind the end so much, although that segment featured a bit too much CGI. Would recommend as it's quite different and more of a thinking mans horror 6.5/10

pauldyson1uk

A Dark Song
Watched it off of @pauldyson1uk review and have to say, I did quite enjoy it. A psychological horror/drama/thriller that deals with the occult, love, loss and faith. Very well written and well acted but might be a bit too slow paced for some. It kept circling back to certain plot points for some reason, and had these bits been taken out, it would have been better. Didn't mind the end so much, although that segment featured a bit too much CGI. Would recommend as it's quite different and more of a thinking mans horror 6.5/10
Glad you enjoyed it, must get back to watching my crap :lol:

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Watched Hard Eight the other day.

Big fan of Paul Thomas Anderson but never got around to watching his debut movie until now. Obviously not a patch on some of his later work, but still a great way to spend two hours. Just like many of his movies it's about the characters more than the plot, and the characters are fantastic.

That's not to say there's no plot at all, but the film really is about the world and the characters that occupy it; and if your willing to accept that, the you'll have a great time.

John C Reilly, Samuel L Jackson (back when he was good) and Gwyneth Paltrow all put in fantastic performances, but special mention goes to Philip Baker Hall who puts in a tremendously natural performance as a been there, done that old school gambler. Philip Seymour Hoffman makes a brief cameo, and even in the little screen time he has you could tell there was something special about the guy.

7/10

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Do B-movie makers just wait till an A-movie gets released and then make their own shitty version of it with a slighly different name, simply to cash in on it? It's a trend I've noticed lately:

- San Andreas Quake (A-movie is San Andreas)
- Geo-Disaster (A-movie is Geostorm)
- Operation Dunkirk (A-movie is Dunkirk)

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
Do B-movie makers just wait till an A-movie gets released and then make their own shitty version of it with a slighly different name, simply to cash in on it? It's a trend I've noticed lately:

Geostorm is the shitty version of Geostorm.

pauldyson1uk

I think they do, but I love watching them, cheesey disaster films are great , I have Geo Disaster to watch.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
Don‘t know about the one you downloded, but it’s a good thing you didn’t get the Nolan one. It’s really bang average. It’s shot quite well but that’s about it.

Just seen Au hasard Balthazar. Fantastic movie. Bresson was an incredible director.
Have you seen Four Nights of a Dreamer?

HTG

Supports
Bayern
It’s lovely nocturnal cinema. The amateur acting in his films are an aquired taste but he’s a brilliant minimalist director.
I really like the amateurs. It‘s quite unique and it works to perfection. You are basically forced to connect internally with the characters.

ZAGREB RED

I came across that on Netflix (I think) a while back, thought it was pretty good. Hadn't heard of it before that, surprising really when you look at the cast. Another one that looked similar - or so I though at the time - was Lay the Favourite, which was really pretty poor, Rebecca Hall was very good in The Town, but LtF was like a bad TV movie from the 80s.