Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
Anyone know good prison movies? Prison movies have always interested me. I've already watched Felon, American Me (partly prison) Shawshank Redemption and Lock Up.
Shot Caller, A Prophet, Cell 211, The Undisputed movies, Bronson, Hunger...do Escape From New York and The Rock count as prison movies?

ZAGREB RED

Starred Up is very good. Or, go old skool and watch Scum.
Animal Factory is worth a watch, good book too written by Edward Bunker. Also American History X, not exactly a prison movie but prison forms an important part of the storyline and Midnight Express, again a good book and there was an episode of Banged Up Abroad which told the true story of it ( I think it's called Locked Up Abroad outside the UK). Cool Hand Luke, Escape from Alacatraz and Papillon are good examples of older movies in this genre.
Louis Theroux did a couple of documentaries that are very good, one in San Quentin prison and the other in Miami.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Leatherface
The origins of Leatherface, the lead antagonist of the Texas Chainsaw franchise. They need to just stop with these. The ambiguity is what made the character interesting, but adding needless and boring backstory is really pointless. Texas Chainsaw was great because it left the gore and violence mostly to your imagination but this just shows it all, and it feels comical. The film is boring as hell and did nothing for me, which was surprising as it was directed by the duo that did the french horror Inside, which I loved. Lilli Taylor and Stephen Dorff bought their A game though. Still, needless borefest 2/10

Borden

Pirates 5

Jesus, what happened to Johnny Depp? I get it, people age, but he just looks like an insane creepy dude in this film, and his acting is horrible. This isn't the Jack Sparrow of old. Something's gone terribly wrong there.

As for the film itself, it was pretty bad. Bad writing and amateurish direction. Easily the worst of the Pirates franchise.

Ban

Just watched Blade runner. I liked it a lot, the chilling atmosphere, the scenes, acting. It's a good movie. I never watched the 1st move, just read what's it about (I know I know..).
The best part, actress who is Joi in film. :D:drool:
Anyway looking forward to the 3rd movie.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Just watched Blade runner. I liked it a lot, the chilling atmosphere, the scenes, acting. It's a good movie. I never watched the 1st move, just read what's it about (I know I know..).
The best part, actress who is Joi in film. :D:drool:
Anyway looking forward to the 3rd movie.
Why would you watch a sequel without watching the original?

Watch the Final Cut version of the original - it is the best version.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
The Lion in Winter (2003)

I love the Sixties original but this remake comes close indeed. Patrick Stewart is just great as Henry II, Glenn Close utterly brilliant as the enigmatic Eleanor of Aquitaine.

9/10

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Best F(r)iends: Went to a screening where Greg Sestero showed up to screen it and answer questions. For those of you that have watched The Room and like it I can say that this movie doesn't disappoint (of course that's subject to expectations). Sestero really seems to know Wiseau and tap into his essence which is like no other. Wiseau also gets the freedom of "acting" and frankly he should do more. He's not going to win awards but he's unique and entertaining in his bizarre ways.

If you like The Room then go see it. If you like funny bad movies then go see it. If you care for neither then this is most likely not for you.

As for grading it I'm not sure how to as the conventional scale doesn't really cover it. It was actually shot nice, it had its obvious nods to the Room and the supporting cast was capable given the scope of the film. Also it's still a rough cut so not really rate-worty but from my perspective it's a 7.5-8/10 on the entertainment scale. Sestero might just have found his writing niche.

Just go see it so we can possibly see Tommy Wiseau do more stuff.

Last edited:

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Leatherface
The origins of Leatherface, the lead antagonist of the Texas Chainsaw franchise. They need to just stop with these. The ambiguity is what made the character interesting, but adding needless and boring backstory is really pointless. Texas Chainsaw was great because it left the gore and violence mostly to your imagination but this just shows it all, and it feels comical. The film is boring as hell and did nothing for me, which was surprising as it was directed by the duo that did the french horror Inside, which I loved. Lilli Taylor and Stephen Dorff bought their A game though. Still, needless borefest 2/10
Sounds an abomination. Agree completely about the character and original film. The crazy randomness of the family is such a key part of what makes the film.
Ditto love the fairl unusual ending.

Archie Leach

Gooner
Supports
Arsenal
Jackie Brown - thought it time to re-evalute this one. It's the least Tarantino of all his films, which is kind of a plus, and he gets uncharacteristically naturalistic performances out of Grier, Forster and DeNiro, but not Jackson. There's nothing too flashy about it all other than the soundtrack, and a couple of clever scenes (Chris Tucker's murder and the retelling from different perspectives of the final exchange). It's also way too long and pretty boring in parts. Tarantino has always been his own biggest fan and often thinks his conversations are more interesting than they are. It's a weird entry in his filmography but I wouldn't mind him trying something like it again.

Roosney

Anyone know some good crime or drama movies which take place in the 1930s, 1940s and 1950s? Having watched Malcolm X (1992) I really enjoyed the 1st part of the movie where Malcolm X is hustling in the 1940s.
LA Confidental is a great one.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
The Crucifixion
When Nicole comes in contact with Father Anton (Corneliu Ulici) more and more inexplicable events occur. The pair begin to believe that the priest lost the battle with a demon. feck knows why I revisited this to finish it off... doens't get any better. In fact, it gets more and more dumb... hate that the director thinks the only way to scare an audience is randomly cut to a screaming girl 1/10

The Big Sick

Pakistan-born comedian Kumail Nanjiani and grad student Emily Gardner fall in love but struggle as their cultures clash. Very honest romantic drama based on the true story of Kumail. Made me laugh out loud in bits and really cranks up the sorrow when it needs to. Has an indie feel to it, which is sweet. Holly Hunter and Ray Romano play great supporting cast members. People should make an effort to see this 7.5/10

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales

Wow, shockingly bad. This series needs to come to an end. Didn't enjoy anything about it, a shame considering it had Javier Bardem. I guess it gets a point because the main actress has nice, juicy tits 1/10

A Cure For Wellness

An ambitious young executive is sent to retrieve his company's CEO from an idyllic but mysterious "wellness center" at a remote location in the Swiss Alps, but soon suspects that the spa's treatments are not what they seem. I really enjoyed 90% of this film. The setup and plot/mystery was intriguing, Dane DeHaan does a great job in the role, it is shot impeccably. However, the film is waaaay too long. Nearly as long as Blade Runner 2049 for feck sake, this story didn't need that length. The plot advancement devices are just held back and drawn out for no reason and in the final hour, they reveal 'twists' that are telegraphed so heavily via bad foreshadowing, that the final act of the film just becomes annoying than revelatory. The big ending is also genre troped, conventional and flat. Such a shame that it had a great premise and didn't seem to have a script doctor to cut down at least 40 minutes of the film 7/10

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
The Death of Stalin

Armando Ianucci you magnificent bastard.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
The Hoarder
A young woman enters an underground storage facility, where she soon finds herself trapped and stalked by a killer. Starring Mischa Barton and T-Bag (who is pretty good in the film). Starts off well when the premise is set but then it goes from one dumb set piece to another and the ending was a complete joke 3/10

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
Jackie Brown - thought it time to re-evalute this one. It's the least Tarantino of all his films, which is kind of a plus, and he gets uncharacteristically naturalistic performances out of Grier, Forster and DeNiro, but not Jackson. There's nothing too flashy about it all other than the soundtrack, and a couple of clever scenes (Chris Tucker's murder and the retelling from different perspectives of the final exchange). It's also way too long and pretty boring in parts. Tarantino has always been his own biggest fan and often thinks his conversations are more interesting than they are. It's a weird entry in his filmography but I wouldn't mind him trying something like it again*.
As I've got older, it's become my favourite QT film (quite a common occurence amongst his fans, I'm sure)

*me too - I'd like him to surprise everyone with his last film by doing a rom-com (obviously it would need elements of crime caper thrown in there.

buchansleftleg

Kingsmen-golden circle

Thought the the original was good apart from 1 crass scene.

This was a reasonable sequal but does not need to be this long. Having said that it does not drag. Cast is strong and the mood is irreverent and fun. The american bit is a bit OTT but not bad.

Excellent special guest appearance too!

Last edited:

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
Jackie Brown - thought it time to re-evalute this one. It's the least Tarantino of all his films, which is kind of a plus, and he gets uncharacteristically naturalistic performances out of Grier, Forster and DeNiro, but not Jackson. There's nothing too flashy about it all other than the soundtrack, and a couple of clever scenes (Chris Tucker's murder and the retelling from different perspectives of the final exchange). It's also way too long and pretty boring in parts. Tarantino has always been his own biggest fan and often thinks his conversations are more interesting than they are. It's a weird entry in his filmography but I wouldn't mind him trying something like it again.
Unbearably self indulgent. You could fit two actual decent blaxploitation films into that running length.

Archie Leach

Gooner
Supports
Arsenal
Unbearably self indulgent. You could fit two actual decent blaxploitation films into that running length.
Yeah he's always self-indulgent but not usually this boring. Out of Sight, which is from the same universe (Michael Keaton plays the same role in both), is a superior film.

Although I haven't seen that in a while so maybe I should re-evaluate it as well.

Last edited:

shabz

I'm looking forward to this a lot. Tangerine was terrific, and now with added Defoe!
I'm all for films that that take a look at excerpts of life and portray real world problems, but that's all it was. No narrative, no direction apart from the days changing. Sean Baker always has good acting in his films and thats the one plus I would give this film, the kids were great. I'm sure people will enjoy it and it will be up for awards nonetheless, however it just wasn't great in my opinion.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Dead Awake
A young woman must save herself and her friends from an ancient evil that stalks its victims through the real-life phenomenon of sleep paralysis. Loved the premise... always been fascinated by sleep paralysis but the execution was a farce. Conventional, not scary, bad acting for the most part and consequential plot points. Such a shame 1/10