Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

pauldyson1uk

Dark Web : Decent in to Hell

The Dark Web is the large part of the Internet that is inaccessible to conventional search engines. Experts estimate that search engines crawl and index less than 1% of all the content that can be accessed over the Internet.

WTF have I just watch, I honestly have no idea.

not a fecking clue/10

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Dark Web : Decent in to Hell

The Dark Web is the large part of the Internet that is inaccessible to conventional search engines. Experts estimate that search engines crawl and index less than 1% of all the content that can be accessed over the Internet.

WTF have I just watch, I honestly have no idea.

not a fecking clue/10
....so was it a documentary then? Not much story in your description, just a little factoid.

pauldyson1uk

....so was it a documentary then? Not much story in your description, just a little factoid.
no sorry, missed a bit off.

A young YouTuber, "Ludovico 122", will try to reach the eighth level of the Dark Web, penetrating the deepest and unknown part of the internet while he films the experience for his audience. But he is not prepared for a horrible surprise that will change his life.

pauldyson1uk

Hypnotic

A young woman seeking self-improvement enlists the help of a renowned hypnotherapist. But after a handful of intense sessions, she discovers unexpected and deadly consequences.
This was OK, the ending you could see coming, but it was watchable.

5/10

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
no sorry, missed a bit off.

A young YouTuber, "Ludovico 122", will try to reach the eighth level of the Dark Web, penetrating the deepest and unknown part of the internet while he films the experience for his audience. But he is not prepared for a horrible surprise that will change his life.
Th eighth level of the dark web! Sounds like a video game! :lol:

pauldyson1uk

The Manor

After suffering a mild stroke, Judith Albright reluctantly moves into a historic nursing home where she becomes convinced a supernatural force is killing the residents.
It has been done a million time and will be done a million times more, you could see what was coming from the first 10 mins.
I have seen a lot worse.

5/10

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Nobody

It's just a John Wick clone because it has a retired guy punching people, driving cars and shooting guns, and John Wick created all of those things.

This is what I was told before watching it and I ended up loving the shit out of it thanks to Bob Odenkirk's outstanding performance as a guy brought back into a world of violence who really REALLY enjoys creating chaos. The fight choreography is perfect and there's so much humour sprinkled through it that it made it probably the most enjoyable movie I've seen from last year. Some great moments with RZA and Christopher Lloyd, too.

As a story it's your pretty standard fare, but I don't care because there's something effective about watching Jimmy McGill from Better Call Saul beating the ever loving shit out of ten guys on a bus and having an look of pure content on his face as he sets fire to a gang's hideout as dead bodies are strewn about the floor.

Soundtrack is amazing, too.

8/10

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Red Lights
Two sceptics of magic (Cilian Murphy and Signory Weaver) investigate the return of an old magician (Bobby DeNiro) who resurfaces years after his biggest critic mysteriously died in one of his shows. Big cast, decent movie but some predictable twists 6/10

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
How to Build a Girl. A UK coming-of-age comedy drama about a 16-year old girl from a poor family in Wolverhampton in the 90s that wants to become an author, sees her more literary ambitions get squashed and then instead manages to get a job for a music magazine - where she soon finds out that writing as an uncaring, cruel cynic gets you success. But how will this new attitude and life affect her?

My wife enjoyed this, I didn't so much. It's nice in the sense that it doesn't go through a lot of clichés, has some decent humor, and empowers the girl. But then I found her fairly annoying in most versions (from the earnest poet at the start to the celebrity cynic later on), which made it hard to enjoy the film. The resolution and its consequences make up for things though. Let's say 5/10 for me.

8 rue de l'humanité (Stuck Together). A recent French comedy drama about how a couple of families and individuals in a flat with an inner court live through the first months of the pandemic. Written and directed by Danny Boon, who also did the amazing Bienvenue chez les Ch'tis (Welcome to the Sticks), but this isn't on the same level. That might have to do with the consequences of the pandemic still hitting too close to home, but I also think the film just wasn't very funny (too much of its humour was embarrassment-focused - maybe also too close for comfort :D ), and its stories not very interesting until things finally come together in the final third. Let's go with 6/10.

Moriarty

Thirteen Assassins - the original 1963 version directed by Eiichi Kudo. Has to be up there in the top 10 samurai flicks of all time. Starring the great Chiezō Kataoka and Tetsuro Tanba, the story involves a plot to assassinate a particularly nasty Daimyo who delights in raping and killing his subjects. The problem is, he is earmarked for a high position in the Shogunate government, which causes alarm amongst the elders.

Sir Doi (Tanba) recruits Shinzaemon Shimada (Kataoka) to formulate a plan to assassinate the lord. He, in turn, calls 12 trusted samurai to accomplish the task and the plot swings into motion. However, the lord has, in his employ, a friend of Shinzaemon who is a master strategist, and it is he who must strive to foil the plot and save the life of the lord he hates. The climax of the film is a bloody fight in a town that the assassins have rigged up as a giant trap. Much of the scenes are done with a hand-held camera which takes the viewer right into the thick of the action. The film was remade in 2010 by Takashi Miike. It stands as a good movie but it sacrifices a lot of the subtlety and plot machinations of the original for action.

If you like the 1963 version, you'll probably like Kudos's follow-up films in his Samurai Revolution trilogy, The Great Killing and 11 Samurai.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Moonfall How can so much money be spent on something so incredibly stupid? While I was watching, I was making mental notes of all the ridiculous shit (even by sci-fi blockbuster suspension of disbelief standards) in it, to post on here, but then there was too much and I lost track. That was about 10 minutes in.

It's really bad, and not really in a "so bad it's good" way

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Moonfall How can so much money be spent on something so incredibly stupid? While I was watching, I was making mental notes of all the ridiculous shit (even by sci-fi blockbuster suspension of disbelief standards) in it, to post on here, but then there was too much and I lost track. That was about 10 minutes in.

It's really bad, and not really in a "so bad it's good" way
I really don't understand how Emmerich keeps getting so much money for this shite, it's incredible based on his track record really. Like you just know his films are going to be diabolical before you even see them. Apparently it's the most expensive independent film ever so it wasn't even fecking studio financed.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Made in Hong Kong. A really strong coming of age/gangster movie shot rough and ready on the mean streets of Hong Kong circa 1997. It's got a great cast and employs every stylistic trick known in the book, despite at its core being an emotional movie about how adults are malicious liars who'll go to any length to save themselves/the folly of youthful optimism. If you liked Chungking Express then you'll probably love it. 5/5

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Amelie

Not seen this for years and watched it last night, what a great film. A film by Jean-Pierre Jeunet depicting the life of a young woman, who although is herself quiet and shy spends her time setting scenarios up to make those around her happy. It's such a lovely film and reminded me why I had a massive crush on Audrey Tatou. It's one of those films that you could press pause almost at any point and you'd get an awesomely composed picture.

10/10

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Ghostbusters: Afterlife

Got round to watching this over the weekend. I enjoyed it way more than I expected. Basically, it's ghostbusters for the Stranger Things generation which is no bad thing. You all know the story, no surprises but I would say that the film suffered from an imbalance between build up and payoff. The ending could have been more spectacular and although it was built up to sound like an impending apocalyptic event, the end of mankind, it was all a bit of a damp squib ultimately. Still, very enjoyable though, the cast were all very good and it was great to see the references to the first films
and all the old faces

7/10

Last edited:

Moriarty

A Colt Is My Passport (1963). A hired killer (Jo Shishido) is recruited to take out a mob boss. His partner (Jerry Fujio) provides backup. After the hit, the rival gangs reach an understanding which means Shishido and Fujio are marked for elimination. But anyone who has seen Shishido in action knows that this is easier said than done. Hiding out in a seedy hotel, they meet up with a girl who agrees to help them get away on a ship but the mob get wind of this and snatch Fujio. Shishido, in return for his friend's life, agrees to turn himself over to the mob and certain death. The final act is played out in a deserted quarry where the mobsters learn that they should never underestimate Jo Shishido. An interesting score and a haunting song played by Fujio ( a noted Japanese singer of the time) add to the atmosphere. Well worth a watch.

Last edited:

pauldyson1uk

The Voyeurs

Pippa and Thomas move into their dream apartment, they notice that their windows look directly into the apartment opposite, this will set in motion a chain of events that will lead to disaster.
A very nice Amazon film, with a good twist at the end

6/10

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
The Voyeurs

Pippa and Thomas move into their dream apartment, they notice that their windows look directly into the apartment opposite, this will set in motion a chain of events that will lead to disaster.
A very nice Amazon film, with a good twist at the end

6/10
I think we all know why we watched that film and it's not because it's good.

PoTMS

Nightmare Alley

A carny picks up tricks from a mentalist and his wife and plots to con a dangerous tycoon with the help of a mysterious psychiatrist.

Decent enough neo-noir psychological thriller with a stellar cast and good direction and cinematography. Tad too long and it does drag on in certain parts but decent enough if you have a few spare hours.

7/10

Last edited:

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Dune
Despite being a bit bloated and Hans Zimmer over-emphasizing every bloody detail (e.g. someone puts down a spoon and all you hear is BWWWAAAA :lol: ), I had fun. It looked superb and hopefully can lead to a really good trilogy 7/10

Ghostbusters: Afterlife

Now this is how you do a new Ghostbusters movie whilst paying tribute to the original, instead of pissing all over it like they did with the previous film. I'll use this as a gateway movie to get my daughter interested in horror films 7/10

Matrix Resurrections

I was hoping it would be good but expecting it to be bad... I didn't think it would be THIS bad. Car crash of a movie. Shame as I actually liked the cast, including the new Morpheus and Smith and some of the action looked neat. The narrative and themes were all over the place. What a hot mess of a movie this was 4/10