Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
I've seen this movie and don't remember this scene at all :lol:

Shame about Nun 2. I wanted to watch that. Maybe I'll skip it as I fell asleep watching the first one in the cinema.
You probably didn't even realise it was him with the ridiculous prosthetic nose. Reminded me of Peter Sellers Inspector Clouseau.

I had to Google it myself when he appeared..."hold on is that... Johnny Depp?"

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
You probably didn't even realise it was him with the ridiculous prosthetic nose. Reminded me of Peter Sellers Inspector Clouseau.

I had to Google it myself when he appeared..."hold on is that... Johnny Depp?"
oh yeah I remember that after googling it. What a joke.

Sweet Square

Atomic Blonde is a solid flick.
It’s worth watching just for this fight scene alone

Alan Moore disavowed what they did to his V For Vendetta story, for whatever reason. I didn't like the film, among other things, I thought it was badly miscast. Stephen Fry and Natalie Portman just didn't work. It was also just uninteresting.
Tbf Moore disavows all his work that gets made into movies. It’s a fun campy call for revolution against the politics of the mid 2000’s.

Wing Attack Plan R

If you couldn't enjoy Stranger Things for the 80s nostalgia alone then not sure why you bothered watching it. The show was great, really fun, as were the characters. Alot of cheesyness but it was great.
Season 1 was decent. Then I rewatched it with my kids, and we watched season 2. By that point I was over it, but you keep thinking it might turn itself around. They watched 3 without me. Then with all the Kate Bush hoopla I got baited into watching season 3, so I would know what was happening, and then 4 which was better than the previous 2 but still not as good as 1.

Season 1 was a pastiche of Stephen King tropes, almost fan fiction. I love those early King novels, so I went with it. It was fun. Season 1, good job.

The 80s nostalgia is just off. Maybe it was like that in Wisconsin (or wherever it takes place) but they did not portray 80s California. It's like set in 1986 or 87, and they have half the show looking like 1974. So I kept getting annoyed at little things, never mind Max’s wooden acting.

I think the creators knew it/felt the same, too, because in that last season they focus on David Harbour and the wacky conspiracy guy, while trying to make 6”1’ 17 year olds look like 5’6” 14 year olds, which was itself hilarious. The kid who plays 11’s boyfriend is the worst of the fecking lot though, like the only instructions he was given on set was, “louder! Wave your hands more!”. Holy hell.

Also I find Nancy Wheeler oddly alluring. Don’t hate.

Last edited:

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Last Voyage of the Demeter. Quite decent Dracula, with some nice grisly bits. From the director of Jane Doe and Scary Stories, so it has some good suspense and scary stuff. The writing clunks too much, it's too long and the characters are weak but there's some Murnau and some Herzog, an affective monster and it does a fair job shooting for that Alien/The Thing Christie-esque tension. It has a similar feel to the Penny Dreadful show. Not an amazing film but it's been put together with a degree of thought and care, and that elevates it above most of what is released these days.

The worst thing about it is its advertising and promotion: The poster and first shot of the trailer is based around the silhouette of the monster, which shows you just how deep through the cultural dregs we are.

Gavinb33

Indiana Jones and the dial of destiny - inoffensive nonsense, a decent watch but no more, I won't be rushing back to this anytime soon, I thought Phoebe Waller Bridge was the worst part of the movie she has no charm imo - 5 out of 10

Wing Attack Plan R

Atomic Blonde is a solid flick.
Salt, Kate, Mile 22, Red Sparrow, Hanna, Haywire, Gunpowder Milkshake, Mr & Mrs Smith, La Femme Nikita are variations on the same theme. Of these, I found Kate to be the most believable in terms of the fighting/stunts the women were doing, and that's even with Ronda Rousey in Mile 22. I liked Kate more than the others. Salt was hilarious, if you have the chance to watch it. The plot hinges on Angelina Jolie dressing up like a dude and infiltrating a uber top secret military installation. They should have done what they did with the Robert DeNiro face-swap onto a younger body, and just put Jolie's face on Bowie-esque body. Silly.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Salt, Kate, Mile 22, Red Sparrow, Hanna, Haywire, Gunpowder Milkshake, La Femme Nikita are variations on the same thing. Of these, I found Kate to be the most believable in terms of the fighting/stunts the women were doing, and that's even with Ronda Rousey in Mile 22.
Never saw Kate nor Gunpowder Milkshake (great band name), but seen the remainder. Rousey wasn’t really allowed to fight one on one iirc.

Wing Attack Plan R

Never saw Kate nor Gunpowder Milkshake (great band name), but seen the remainder. Rousey wasn’t really allowed to fight one on one iirc.
That was the only reason I watched Mile 22. Rousey can really feck somebody up in real life, but on screen she doesn't know how to fake the punches or whatever. Most of those other ones have these really lithe, willowy women doing these half-assed kicks with their feet in the wrong position, or punching with their elbows out, or just all kinds of stupid shit that shows they really don't know what they're doing.

The show that drove me insane was Cobra Kai: Larusso's daughter, come on, how hard is it to learn some basic karate if you're in a show where you're supposed to be some kind of karate expert? It's been going for 5 years now, even if they trained only between shooting, they'd all be black belts at this point.

I made this same point to a friend, and he said, most people can't tell. How many karate, taekwondo, kung fu, MMA, kickboxing studios have you seen? Just driving around LA they are almost as plentiful as Mexican restaurants. There are 13 taekwondo places within 2 miles of me. TKD is popular here. So all of those people in all of those classes, and all of those people who trained martial arts any time in their lives, they know. To me, it's like a really bad CGI VFX. Something that looks so fake it takes you out of the movie. So when I see Samantha Larusso try a roundhouse kick that looks like she's instead trying to vent some gas, it takes me out.

According to one study, "18.1 million Americans, including 9.4 million adults, 5.5 million teens, and 3.2 million children, performed martial arts at least once between 2010-2011." https://www.bookeeapp.com/articles/martial-arts-industry-in-the-usa . So 9.4 million over 2 years. 4.7 million per year. That's 23.5 million just since Cobrai Kai aired.

I really need to stop the early afternoon triple espressos.

Last edited:

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
There Will Be Blood
Seeing this for the first time. Fantastic. Performances, story, themes, overall filmmaking... just great. My only gripe was the run time. I know it had to be that length but I really struggle with films when they go beyond the 2 hour mark 8.5/10

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Aliens - Haven't seen this in about a decade and was amazed how well it holds up. I used to think I preferred the first one, finding its horror tone worked a lot better than the action stuff Cameron brought in. Truth is, this does basically everything the first does, but amplifyies the tension tenfold and drives a deeper sense of claustrophobia through increased stakes. Sigourney Weaver remains peak female lead, never letting her keen maternal instinct get in the way of her sheer bad-assery.

Last edited:

Tarrou

Aliens - Haven't seen this in about a decade and was amazed how well it holds up. I used to think I much preferred the first one, finding its horror tone worked a lot better than the action stuff Cameron brought in. Truth is, this does basically everything the first does, amplifying the tension tenfold and driving a deeper sense of claustrophobia through increased stakes. Sigourney Weaver remains peak female character, never letting her keen maternal instinct overwrite her sheer bad-assery.
It somehow feels less dated than Prometheus

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
John Wick 2.. abysmal, even for an action where you don't mind a break in reality this is feckin stupid.

The whole him Vs common thing around the subway station was pathetic.

Him shooting some fat sumo dude in the head and then the sumo dude somehow still being alive for a bit :lol:

Also, what's the point in the hotels? Every body in this film is an assassin anyway it seems. Absolutely everyone, everywhere he goes hes surrounded by more assassins.

Can't wait to watch the 3rd.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Strays Adult speaking dog movie. Amusing in bits but the ending was bizarre. Not enough plot for a whole film and in the end rather meh. 5/10

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Triangle Of Sadness
A celebrity modelling couple go on a luxury cruise for the filthy rich and chaos ensues after the cruise is hit by a storm. I thought this was a decent watch as it's structured in in a unique way and takes a lot of left turns. Some great character arcs and camera-work also. Felt the film was about 30 minutes too long, there is a section in the middle that simply drags for the sake of it. Also thought the themes were very heavy handed and spoon fed to the audience. Overall, I had a good time 7/10

pauldyson1uk

Last Radio Call

On June 30th, 2018, Officer David Serling went missing inside an undisclosed abandoned hospital. Using his recovered body cam footage, his wife attempts to piece together what happened to him on that horrible night.
It was not the worst found footage film I have seen, it had the typical jump scenes and they worked, they made me jump.
It did not have group of daft kids making stupid decisions, the acting was decent enough, dark filming and some atmospheric music added to it .
If you like found footage then you will find it OK , otherwise steer clear.

5/10

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Elemental. Pixar's latest, displaying a kind of NYC where four types of creatures (Earth, Fire, Water, Clouds) live side by side, but in basically separate worlds. Or at least, Fire, the poorest and least compatible with the others physically, live in the very poor Firetown. The main character, the daughter of immigrants, is close to having to take over her dad's shop while also dealing with a big neighbourhood problem and finding love among the aquatics.

So, yes, a romcom social drama. Reviews have been mixed, but I really liked it. The city is alive with detail and puns, the story works out well, and it's pretty funny. People thought the social aspects were too on the nose, but I didn't see the problem. These things are real and obvious, and worth pointing out. And probably a lot of the stuff that reviewers thought was exaggerated is more true than they'll ever know. Pixar's films don't all have to be socially bland affairs that only consider emotional complexities. 4/5

King Richard. Portrays the Williams Sisters' road to stardom (principally Venus's), from the perspective of the dad (Will Smith) that supports, stimulates, and pushes them throughout. I wonder how much of it is real (was he really not more pushy? did he really have this big turnaround to empower rather than direct Venus?), but as portrayed, the story is a great sports drama. Also 4/5, maybe.

Last edited:

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Ordinary Men.

Watched this last night. Very good. An hour long. Its about a killing unit during WW2 that was mainly made up of just ordinary men like plumbers and factory workers.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
John Wick 2.. abysmal, even for an action where you don't mind a break in reality this is feckin stupid.

Him shooting some fat sumo dude in the head and then the sumo dude somehow still being alive for a bit :lol:

Also, what's the point in the hotels? Every body in this film is an assassin anyway it seems. Absolutely everyone, everywhere he goes hes surrounded by more assassins.

The fat sumo dude was basically the opera lad from the “Go compare” ads, which made that scene even more confusing.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Elemental. Pixar's latest, displaying a kind of NYC where four types of creatures (Earth, Fire, Water, Clouds) live side by side, but in basically separate world's. Or at least, Fire, the poorest and least compatible with the others physically, live in the very poor Firetown. The main character, the daughter of immigrants, is close to having to take over her dad's shop while also dealing with a big neighbourhood problem and finding love among the aquatics.

So, yes, a romcom social drama. Reviews have been mixed, but I really liked it. The city is alive with detail and puns, the story works out well, and it's pretty funny. People thought the social aspects were too on the nose, but I didn't see the problem. These things are real and obvious, and worth pointing out. And probably a lot of the stuff that reviewers thought was exaggerated is more true than they'll ever know. Pixar's films don't all have to be socially bland affairs that only consider emotional complexities. 4/5

King Richard. Portrays the Williams Sisters' road to stardom (principally Venus's), from the perspective of the dad (Will Smith) that supports, stimulates, and pushes them throughout. I wonder how much of it is real (was he really not more pushy? did he really have this big turnaround to empower rather than direct Venus?), but as portrayed, the story is a great sports drama. Also 4/5, maybe.
Richard Williams was an abject cnut in real life. No clue if that was portrayed as such or not.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Richard Williams was an abject cnut in real life. No clue if that was portrayed as such or not.
Not really. His kids seem to love him for most of the film. I'll spoiler the next comment.
The dramatic build-up is that his protectiveness and attempts to keep Venus grounded seem to get in the way once she starts getting success in the juniors circuit - although the film leaves open a bit if it really hampered her or actually helped her. Much of it is also justified by his argument that he's doing it all to keep them off Compton's dangerous streets, to ensure they have a proper education in case the tennis career doesn't work out, and because of his own experiences with racism.
As I said, I have no idea whether all of that is true, but the films builds a good dramatic arc by portraying him this way.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge

Treat it as opera or dance choreography with guns.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Puss In Boots 2: The Final Wish
I didn't think I would love this move as much as I did. Has a good premise for kids and great underlying themes for parents, touching on things that we can all relate to. Fun action scenes and great comedy. This was brilliant 8/10

Blue Beetle

Latest offering from DC. Liked that they had a Mexican family in the lead, which was refreshing and also, the family played a big part (missing Vin Diesel here)... with that said, I hope Mexican families are not actually like this family too much where they just see their son get taken over by a sentient being and decide to forget about it and start singing and dancing :lol: . The action was shot well and not overly cut. I kinda liked the superhero and also though the lead actor did an ok job. With all that said, it was very average. They could have done so much with this but it's your generic "boy gets powers and trying to figure it out", cardboard cut-out villains and doesn't really try to do anything new beyond having a Mexican family. This could have been so much better 5.5/10

Spoony

The People's President
I enjoyed Barbarian, Talk to Me was a decent watch and all, if a bit standard fare. I need more horror recommendations, though... Is Creep worth a gander?

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
I enjoyed Barbarian, Talk to Me was a decent watch and all, if a bit standard fare. I need more horror recommendations, though... Is Creep worth a gander?
The Creep in the underground tunnels or Creep where a guy answers an as to document some weird dude? The former is decent the latter is ok too but very different to the two you mentioned.

I quite enjoyed Smile.

Spoony

The People's President
The Creep in the underground tunnels or Creep where a guy answers an as to document some weird dude? The former is decent the latter is ok too but very different to the two you mentioned.

I quite enjoyed Smile.

Creep 2014. The latter one you've described. Also is Hope any good? I've yet to watch Get Out.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Creep 2014. The latter one you've described. Also is Hope any good? I've yet to watch Get Out.
Oh yeah that one is ok, if a little slow and slightly weird. It's not one I would recommend if someone asked for a horror (personally).

Never heard of Hope... what's that? You mean Nope? It's very marmite. I hated it. Get Out was far better in my opinion.

Spoony

The People's President
Oh yeah that one is ok, if a little slow and slightly weird. It's not one I would recommend if someone asked for a horror (personally).

Never heard of Hope... what's that? You mean Nope? It's very marmite. I hated it. Get Out was far better in my opinion.
Yes. Nope! Sci fi by the same director as Get Out. There's Us and all. I'm just going through a list.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Yes. Nope! Sci fi by the same director as Get Out. There's Us and all. I'm just going through a list.
I enjoyed Get Out. Us is fine until you spend a minute thinking about the movie, then it all falls apart. Nope was shite.

Superden

I watched a Nicholas cage movie last night, really could've been any of his movies from the last 10 years. It wasn't that good. He hammed it up. It also had that guy from the killing (American version). He's good, I like him. He didn't do the accent or the street talking though.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Nairobi Half Life. A Kenyan drama from 2012, about a young man from the countryside who goes to Nairobi to pursue his dream to become an actor - only to be robbed upon arrival, thrown in jail, and find out that the guy who promised to help him actually swindled him. From there, he tries to put a life back together by associating with a gang while pursuing an acting opportunity anyway.

Very good. It's raw, confronting, and dramatic, yet joyful, lively, and optimistic at the same time - somehow while still making sense and feeling balanced. Well, you have to buy into the main character's continued optimistic mindset (making the best out of every situation), but it worked for me. It also gave me a bit of an impression (tiny and specific as it was) of Nairobi, about which I know next to nothing. I see both the director and the main actor have a few more films on Netflix, so I look forward to those now. 4/5

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
There Will Be Blood
Seeing this for the first time. Fantastic. Performances, story, themes, overall filmmaking... just great. My only gripe was the run time. I know it had to be that length but I really struggle with films when they go beyond the 2 hour mark 8.5/10
Oh to be back in 2007(?) and arguing about how shit this movie was with @Spoony (or wait did you like it, Spoons?)

Wing Attack Plan R

There Will Be Blood
I thought it was all Daniel Day Lewis chewing scenery and drinking people's milkshakes, Paul Dano having trouble finding his accent and character, and then a lot of shit about oil derricks. ? . Initially Paul Dano was only playing the role of the guy who brings the news to DDL, another actor was the priest. They shot for a week or two, and the other actor was fired, and Dano became both roles as "twin brothers", so he had to come up with some wacky alter-ego to play the second role, and it did not work. There was also dozens of pages about Jr's wildcatting in Mexico that they cut to suddenly have him be a rival to his father, which wasn't how it was planned. The whole thing felt pretentious, not least of all the score by the Radiohead guy. DDL was mesmerizing but the rest of it? hooey.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
I thought it was all Daniel Day Lewis chewing scenery and drinking people's milkshakes, Paul Dano having trouble finding his accent and character, and then a lot of shit about oil derricks. ? . Initially Paul Dano was only playing the role of the guy who brings the news to DDL, another actor was the priest. They shot for a week or two, and the other actor was fired, and Dano became both roles as "twin brothers", so he had to come up with some wacky alter-ego to play the second role, and it did not work. There was also dozens of pages about Jr's wildcatting in Mexico that they cut to suddenly have him be a rival to his father, which wasn't how it was planned. The whole thing felt pretentious, not least of all the score by the Radiohead guy. DDL was mesmerizing but the rest of it? hooey.
Had no idea! I guess we can disagree on this. I loved it. Been quoting lines from it ever since.

Sweet Square

South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut

For some reason this was showing at my local cinema last night.

The incredibly dumb and silly humour has aged very well(Along with realising Canadians are the best North Americans). Brilliant move to turn the film into a musical especially as Parker & Tray can really write a tune. The satire(morals of media consumption) holds up well.

Ending is very rushed by it’s less than 90 minutes which flys by these days.

9/10