The Second RedCafe Sheep Draft

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Congrats to our finalists @Cutch and @kps88 . Did @Skizzo mention anything about the last reinforcement round? I've no idea if you get to pick 1 or 2 players now.

kps88

Oh feck it never occurred to me it could go down to just the one reinforcement for the final. I probably should have clarified that before making my last round picks :lol:

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
I don't know. It was a question, so don't panic just yet.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
It does say 2 reinforcements after every round in the OP. Usually it's only 1 for the final which is enough IMO but whatever you's reckon
Funny, how did I miss that. Yeah it says so in the op, so I guess we have to go with it, after all kps did expect it to be 2 when he picked in the last round.

Is it fair to reverse the order again now? Or should we randomise it?

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Funny, how did I miss that. Yeah it says so in the op, so I guess we have to go with it, after all kps did expect it to be 2 when he picked in the last round.

Is it fair to reverse the order again now? Or should we randomise it?
Following on from the last round, you mean?

I'd just randomize it myself. That is, heads or tails for who starts picking. Winner gets first and third pick.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Following on from the last round, you mean?
Yeah, after the first game it was determined by the number of sheep. After the second game it was the first one reversed.

I'd just randomize it myself. That is, heads or tails for who starts picking. Winner gets first and third pick.
I'm good with that, if @Cutch and @kps88 agree, I'll flip a virtual coin and we can start drafting. If not, we can wait for Skizzo to wake up and make a call.

kps88

Yeah, after the first game it was determined by the number of sheep. After the second game it was the first one reversed.

I'm good with that, if @Cutch and @kps88 agree, I'll flip a virtual coin and we can start drafting. If not, we can wait for Skizzo to wake up and make a call.
Fine with me.

kps88

I would seriously consider dropping Garrincha. Broken record much?
No get it out of your system now :lol:

It's too late for that. Once you go down a certain path you have to stick with it (wish I could have said that more eloquently).

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Here's how I'd use Garrincha in a set-up where he'd shine (or so I reckon):

He's the main man here, gets the ball as much as he likes. Rooney up front is a) not lazy b) used to playing with someone else as the main man c) a very good finisher. Boniek on the opposite flank is a) clever b) hard working (and super fast) and c) used to playing with someone else as the main man. Behind 'em: The fabled trio of Bi-Xa-In (who play their usual game, pretty much, serving the main man who is not as disciplined and hard working as their usual golden boy, but arguably even more talented and devastating).

Reckon that would work. And it would produce some exciting football.

To clarify: I'm thinking about Golden Boy before he became a false nine. And "Bi" stands for Biscuits (which is his real name, as far as I'm concerned).

Last edited:

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Possibly. Need to make sure the new man fits in with my philosophy though as Louis would say :)
I'd suggest a complete wide player with a genuine goalscoring threat. Haven't checked the pool though. Your 2 wingers are brilliant at what they did but your attack could do with a bit more fluidity and dynamism. It looks a bit too wingmanlike(?) for my liking. There is Boniek who'd be the perfect rampaging and ubiquitous presence (without the goalscoring record) for your team imo.

kps88

I'm willing to add Carboni back into the player pool if that helps matters.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
@Chesterlestreet I'm sure Garrincha would have loved playing with that midfield trio but the feeling won't be mutual. That's what I love about Messi, for all his talent and goals, he's always a team player on the ball, going for the sensible and correct option more often than not. He was decent with his work rate off the ball in the Pep era as well (so much so I remember a la liga manager calling him the modern day Di Stefano) but it has regressed to a non existential state right now for some reason.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Ah, I see what you mean, now @Cutch. The opening remark. No - it was just a very little something. There's something about the Nesta-Passarella combo which for some reason doesn't sit 100% right with me.

And I can't offer a convincing argument for why this should be either. It's just a...thing, I suppose. I generally believe Passarella is underrated as a straight-ass defender - people tend to see him as some sort of soft libero who can only do the business if he's "protected" and able to work as some sort of playmaker almost...and that's bollocks. You have a pair of outstanding defenders there - and there really isn't any reason to think they wouldn't dispossess, outdefend and generally cause hell for even the best attackers around.

It's just...not perfect, I guess. But I'd ignore it if I were you. Just a fancy of mine.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
@Chesterlestreet I'm sure Garrincha would have loved playing with that midfield trio but the feeling won't be mutual.
Probably not! But that's Garrincha, ain't it? The key, I believe, is to team him up with players who are used to letting others hog the ball - and the limelight. They may not like it, but they'll shut up and do their job. That trio is very much in that category. Rooney - in his own way - and Boniek are similar in that regard. They don't need to be the main man in order to produce their best football.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Probably not! But that's Garrincha, ain't it? The key, I believe, is to team him up with players who are used to letting others hog the ball - and the limelight. They may not like it, but they'll shut up and do their job. That trio is very much in that category. Rooney - in his own way - and Boniek are similar in that regard. They don't need to be the main man in order to produce their best football.
Agreed. However, there's surely got to be a better alternative to Rooney for that role, although none pops to my mind right now. Or maybe a proper spearhead/poacher capable of occupying the CBs like Mvb/Müller.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Final teams:

Cutch - 1. Lobanovskiy, 2. Nilton Santos, 3. Bozsik, 4. B. Charlton, 5. J.Zanetti, 6. Gento, 7. Stanley Matthews, 8. Just Fontaine 9. Krol 10. Sadurni 11. Gamarra 12. Simeone 13. Nesta 14. Van Der Sar 15. Desailly 16. Passarella 17. Van Basten 18. Jairzinho

KPS88 - 1. Dino Zoff, 2. Del Piero, 3. Bergomi, 4. Cannavaro, 5. Papin, 6. Carboni, 7. Redondo, 8. Gascoigne 9. Tigana 10. Donadoni 11. Sagnol 12. Eto'o 13. Garrincha 14. Laudrup 15. Puskas 16. Platini 17. Brehme 18. Scirea

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Agreed. However, there's surely got to be a better alternative to Rooney for that role, although none pops to my mind right now. Or maybe a proper spearhead/poacher capable of occupying the CBs like Mvb/Müller.
No doubt. He was the first one who sprang to mind - partially because I've always wanted to see him shine in a draft (which he never has, to my knowledge).

We have a candidate at United, be it said, who is a striker both lethal, link-up proficient and certainly used to playing with (even) bigger names than himself:

The King!

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Jairzinho is a great pick @Cutch, I shared @Joga Bonito's sentiment that you looked a bit too wingmanish without it coming together in a clear way.
Good stuff Anto. Aye think he's a good fit. Brings a notable goal threat too. Think MVB will be a better lead the line forward than Fontaine also. Might be able to look after himself against those rough Italians a bit better too.