Television The Sopranos

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Thinking about making this the next show I watch. How good is it? No spoilers please.
Seven years later I've finished it :lol:

Absolutely incredible show and easily one the best of all time. Are we interpreting the ending as Tony being killed and the blackness being his POV?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Oh and I complained about Janice but f*ck me AJ is the worst character ever. I was cheering him on when he tried to kill himself in the pool, little shit.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
My favourite tv show ever. I think Tony died at the end...what else could it be?

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!

Absolutely incredible show and easily one the best of all time. Are we interpreting the ending as Tony being killed and the blackness being his POV?
I remember freaking out for that whole final scene... but when the blackness came, i felt relieved. My interpretation was that he wasn't killed that night, but that he will be living on paranoia and looking over his shoulder for the rest of his days. The best ending of the big tv shows out there imo.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
My favourite tv show ever. I think Tony died at the end...what else could it be?
The director said no.

Which makes it more stupid than cop out. Hated the ending with a passion after it being very good TV. Not quite Breaking Bad or The Wire good IMO but close until the final episode which sucked donkey balls.

The core Mafia characters have to be the best group of characters ever created. Tony the troubled boss, Chris the problematic protege, Silvio the old school voice of reason, Paulie the loyal psycho, Ralph the uncontrollable pain in the neck, and so on. I cant think of any better.

Tarrou

I always have, but it's one of those 'it's up to the viewer' endings isn't it? I also think it's the best ending to a TV show, ever.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
The director said no.

Which makes it more stupid than cop out. Hated the ending with a passion after it being very good TV. Not quite Breaking Bad or The Wire good IMO but close until the final episode which sucked donkey balls.
I always have, but it's one of those 'it's up to the viewer' endings isn't it? I also think it's the best ending to a TV show, ever.
Interesting to see the difference in perspective. I personally think it's a great way to end leaving it up to the viewer, but can see the point of argument other way.

Mal donaghy

In one of the episodes tony is in the boat with his brother in law, and they are discussing getting "whacked" when one of them says "I think it's like a light switch, one minute there's light, the next just black" it's not word for word but it's along them lines.
This explains the last scene.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
When did the director say he didn't die? If that's true it removes all sense from that ending.

I was perfectly happy with it on the basis of Tony and Bobby having talked about death and saying that when it happens everything just goes black.

Mal donaghy

When did the director say he didn't die? If that's true it removes all sense from that ending.

I was perfectly happy with it on the basis of Tony and Bobby having talked about death and saying that when it happens everything just goes black.
Bobby that's it, it's been so long, so I forgot

Tarrou

He didn't, he was just misquoted by some site, probably intentionally to click-bait.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Greatest show ever, IMO.

Paulie is great, my favourite episode was when he and Chris got lost in the woods, hilarious episode and the acting was superb.

onemanarmy

Best show ever. The ending was so fantastic. Almost every main character in the show was so will written and the acting was sublime. I was sincerely heartbroken when James Gandolfini died, couple of years ago.

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
Started watching it yet again. Fantastic show, I still see new things I missed the first 3 times around.

Vito appears in season 1 as a customer in the donut shop scene. Christopher tells him to feck off out of it so he can shoot the employee in the foot. He's the same actor that plays the babyfaced FBI agent in Boardwalk.

Adriana is also an extra in the first episode.

I'm just at the end of season 2, that scene where they're doing tequila shots on the boat before wacking Pussy. So good.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
I always presumed the series ended like that to open the possibility of a movie. Believe the director/producer said a movie spinoff was never truly in the plan.

Vidic_In_Moscow

rectum-faced pygmy
Supports
i stink
Started watching it yet again. Fantastic show, I still see new things I missed the first 3 times around.

Vito appears in season 1 as a customer in the donut shop scene. Christopher tells him to feck off out of it so he can shoot the employee in the foot. He's the same actor that plays the babyfaced FBI agent in Boardwalk.

Adriana is also an extra in the first episode.

I'm just at the end of season 2, that scene where they're doing tequila shots on the boat before wacking Pussy. So good.
Only watched this the once but I definitely need to give it a 2nd go. Once I'v finished my 4th or 5th Game Of Thrones viewing I think!

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
I've watched Sopranos four times now from start to end. Still the GOAT.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Just watched the two Kevin Finnerty episodes from season 6. Didn't like them first time around, as I was thinking Junior shooting Tony and then yet another dream sequence was a case of Sopranos jumping the shark. Didn't help my perspective that the remainder of the first part of season 6 was probably the poorest run of Sopranos episodes in the entire series (Vito's gay thing, Paulie's mother issues, AJ being AJ, etc). But watching them again now, there is some amount of depth and foreshadowing in that whole sequence, truly amazing TV. And that Moby finale with Tony/Kevin sitting on his hotel bed :eek:

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
In one of the episodes tony is in the boat with his brother in law, and they are discussing getting "whacked" when one of them says "I think it's like a light switch, one minute there's light, the next just black" it's not word for word but it's along them lines.
This explains the last scene.
There's another scene also where Sil is at dinner with the one NY guy when the NY guy gets whacked. It all goes silent mid scene when the shooting starts. Sil later talks about how weird it was that at first he did not hear a thing or something along those lines.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
So I have started watching this.. I like the character of Tony Soprano, but struggling to enjoy the other characters. Is it meant to start off slow? whats the main themes of the show?

His psychiatrist is a milf though.

Oggmonster

So I have started watching this.. I like the character of Tony Soprano, but struggling to enjoy the other characters. Is it meant to start off slow? whats the main themes of the show?

It does start off quite slow but then it's not really a hugely fast paced show. The stories take a while to build as they were quite character driven but I found them enjoyable. I liked all the gangster side of the characters but I found his sister and his son pretty annoying. They work well to show the other side of the Tony character though. I.e. the gangster and the family man which would be the main themes of the show. It's worth sticking with if you like other gangster TV or film stuff as it's the best out of the lot. I'm probably biased though as it was my favourite TV show.

facund

Gangsterism and how the effects slowly spread through the family, lust for power/wealth and how they don't necessarily bring happiness, the fractured and delicate nature of the human psyche etc.
It is primarily a human interest story but the action, death and politics provide an interesting backdrop to the family dynamic.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
It does start off quite slow but then it's not really a hugely fast paced show. The stories take a while to build as they were quite character driven but I found them enjoyable. I liked all the gangster side of the characters but I found his sister and his son pretty annoying. They work well to show the other side of the Tony character though. I.e. the gangster and the family man which would be the main themes of the show. It's worth sticking with if you like other gangster TV or film stuff as it's the best out of the lot. I'm probably biased though as it was my favourite TV show.
Yeah I love my mafia films but this seems abit nice atm not enough darkness which I can buy into or cool characters to keep me interested... Mad men gripped me right away as did the Wire.

Very early days though will persist with it till I watch two seasons at least. So many people love this so it must be good.

Oggmonster

Yeah I love my mafia films but this seems abit nice atm not enough darkness which I can buy into or cool characters to keep me interested... Mad men gripped me right away as did the Wire.

Very early days though will persist with it till I watch two seasons at least. So many people love this so it must be good.
What episode are you on to mate? It gets far more dark and gritty as it goes from Series 1 int o Series 2. It takes a while to get to know all the characters etc and their relationship with Tony and each other.

It's very well written, I've not seen all of The Wire but have seen Mad Men and if you like the character development in a show like that I'd say you would think the same as The Sopranos once you get into it. Albeit they are very different themed shows.

Stick with it for a while, it probably isn't everyones cup of tea same with all TV Shows but it's worth watching it develop for a while.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Just started watching this a couple of weeks ago, half way through series 2. The acting is some of the best I've ever seen, and I love that there's a constant storyline and theme to the show besides mafia stuff.

One thing that annoys me is they constantly talk about people who haven't even featured, so I'm thinking who the feck are they on about. There's also a lot of new people popping up every now and then that only really get introduced after getting involved with the Soprano crew. You definitely need to pay attention to names and what's going on.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Just started watching this a couple of weeks ago, half way through series 2. The acting is some of the best I've ever seen, and I love that there's a constant storyline and theme to the show besides mafia stuff.

One thing that annoys me is they constantly talk about people who haven't even featured, so I'm thinking who the feck are they on about. There's also a lot of new people popping up every now and then that only really get introduced after getting involved with the Soprano crew. You definitely need to pay attention to names and what's going on.
It definitely makes more sense after repeat viewings & a browse at an online family tree.

Shark

@NotShark
Still my top ever show. Doubt any show will have me binge watching to such an extent.

entropy

I don't think the ending was a cop out. It stays true to the theme and foreshadowing that runs through the show. There is no fun watching Tony die. But knowing this guy is definitely going to get killed somewhere down the line. That hits the spot with the viewers more than watching him lay in a pool of his own blood.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Greatest show of all time as far as I'm concerned. The best part is the acting and little scenes in between. Who remembers tony trying to get ketchup out of the bottle for his burger? Little stuff like that is what made the show.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Greatest show of all time as far as I'm concerned. The best part is the acting and little scenes in between. Who remembers tony trying to get ketchup out of the bottle for his burger? Little stuff like that is what made the show.
Heh, was that Bobby's "Quasimodo predicted all this" scene?

Duffy

Who needs races when you're racist?
Just watched the two Kevin Finnerty episodes from season 6. Didn't like them first time around, as I was thinking Junior shooting Tony and then yet another dream sequence was a case of Sopranos jumping the shark. Didn't help my perspective that the remainder of the first part of season 6 was probably the poorest run of Sopranos episodes in the entire series (Vito's gay thing, Paulie's mother issues, AJ being AJ, etc). But watching them again now, there is some amount of depth and foreshadowing in that whole sequence, truly amazing TV. And that Moby finale with Tony/Kevin sitting on his hotel bed :eek:
Just reading back thorough the thread and this post stood out. That ending with Tony on the hotel bed and the lighthouse off in the distance, is probably my favourite scene in any television programme ever. Stunning how much a great actor can say without words.

One of the biggest themes is the struggle between his mafia family and his real family. On one hand he has complete control over all these powerful gangsters and politicians, but on the other he can't even make his kids take the trash out.

It takes time to develop but it's the overarching theme of the show imo.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
It definitely makes more sense after repeat viewings & a browse at an online family tree.
Yeah yeah I know, I've been looking stuff up.
The part where Paulie goes to see a medium and he starts talking about Sonny Pagano, he's been briefly mentioned before and I was thinking who the feck is he? Turns out he was Paulie's first kill when I googled it but why didn't they just say that some how?

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
Just recently finished my 2nd time through the series and I am not ashamed to admit that I certainly hope that when Tony got his, the gunman/men managed to put a few rounds into Carm also. AJ and Meadow, not their fault they were born into that shit. Tony was also I guess, but then he stayed when he became an adult and Carm certainly was happy to play the Mob Queen and beg for more and more, her swing from "oh poor me, my husband cheats on me, or won't let me have more money" to "oh look at the nice shiny new things my husband has gotten for me, I am so happy" knowing full well where it all came from.

And fecking Paulie, luckiest bastard in the show, surviving everything and will probably end up being the boss in NJ. Turned informant on Tony, annoyed the feck out of everyone in the crew, always seemed to be saying or doing the wrong thing to cause more problems for Tony. Tony should have killed him out on the boat when he had the chance.

Tarrou

Anyone see The Leftovers homage/rip-off of the Kevin Finnerty concept? Was decent, but needless to say not a patch on the original.