The Third Redcafe Sheep Draft

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
But again it depends what the focus of the draft is, as now we have plenty of sheep and most likely unbalanced teams which will make pretty interesting first rounds(also not that many all time greats at every position).
The way I figure, barring any curve balls that could be launched before the match stage, what it comes down to now is...luck. Luck of the draw, that is. There will likely be some very strong teams here, both in terms of sheep heaviness (lack thereof, I mean) and big names/voter friendly players - and if you draw one of these, you're anything from "at a disadvantage" to "plain fecked" depending on your own team.

Personally, I'm pleased enough with what I've assembled - not thrilled, but pleased enough. But I could definitely do with a good result in this final round. Picking up a couple of sheep here...well, I would be irritated.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
One thing, though:

You're stuck with Final X if one of your picks are blocked. But are you locked in terms of winners/losers?

Example: You pick a player from the winning side (fail) and a player from the losing side (pass). Do you have to pick a player from the winning side in round 2 - or is the whole pool of players who featured in the final(s) available to you?

This is potentially crucial. Because given that most of us are in need of particular positions here, it could actually be tactically - much - wiser to simply forfeit (refrain from submitting further picks) rather than going for eligible players. I'm thinking in particular on the keeper conundrum several of us could be faced with.

@Gio

Enigma_87

You know who
The way I figure, barring any curve balls that could be launched before the match stage, what it comes down to now is...luck. Luck of the draw, that is. There will likely be some very strong teams here, both in terms of sheep heaviness (lack thereof, I mean) and big names/voter friendly players - and if you draw one of these, you're anything from "at a disadvantage" to "plain fecked" depending on your own team.

Personally, I'm pleased enough with what I've assembled - not thrilled, but pleased enough. But I could definitely do with a good result in this final round. Picking up a couple of sheep here...well, I would be irritated.
Well luck was also pretty much through the draw as well. Some pretty great players were nicked in some tight pools. So yeah it's a bit of luck indeed throughout the draft. I'm pleased so far, indeed 2-3 positions I had other plans before the draft started but given the criteria so far I'm ok with the team.

The draw will be pretty important of course as if you can draw a better opponent you have reinforcement rounds to cover for your sheep or to even change your formation.

One thing, though:

You're stuck with Final X if one of your picks are blocked. But are you locked in terms of winners/losers?

Example: You pick a player from the winning side (fail) and a player from the losing side (pass). Do you have to pick a player from the winning side in round 2 - or is the whole pool of players who featured in the final(s) available to you?

This is potentially crucial. Because given that most of us are in need of particular positions here, it could actually be tactically - much - wiser to simply forfeit (refrain from submitting further picks) rather than going for eligible players. I'm thinking in particular on the keeper conundrum several of us could be faced with.

@Gio
I agree with you. At least for those who need keepers. Pretty much we'll have no other choice if our pick is blocked. Essentially leaving us with no possible 2nd pick. Same goes for those that require LB and RB of course.

There's surely 2-3 teams that we rather not face in the first round :)

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
How many players have yet to pick a goalkeeper? I count 9. Seems like the toughest position to fill.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
How many players have yet to pick a goalkeeper? I count 9. Seems like the toughest position to fill.
Yep - ironically enough, as it should - per common draft logic - be the easiest one.

Looking back at this draft, I have two regrets:

1. Could have sorted GK at an earlier stage, avoiding this potentially...irritating finish.

2. Should have gone with my instincts in the World Cup penalties round. Holy Jaybus, if I had only opted for my initial scheme there...

Snow

Yep - ironically enough, as it should - per common draft logic - be the easiest one.

Looking back at this draft, I have two regrets:

1. Could have sorted GK at an earlier stage, avoiding this potentially...irritating finish.

2. Should have gone with my instincts in the World Cup penalties round. Holy Jaybus, if I had only opted for my initial scheme there...
You're one of 3 managers who'll possibly field a team without a sheep so I have a hard time feeling sorry for you this round. Worst case scenario is that you get a sheep in the position that matters the least who played in a European Cup Winners Cup. There are no Djemba-Djemba's in this round.

Tuppet

Having gone through all the finals, I couldn't find any good pair for my team. Think its an advantage having to pick a goalkeeper in this round, as you can get another pretty great player. Who really cares about goalkeepers anyway ?

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Having gone through all the finals, I couldn't find any good pair for my team. Think its an advantage having to pick a goalkeeper in this round, as you can get another pretty great player. Who really cares about goalkeepers anyway ?
I know who are going for? I considered the same, before letting common sense prevail. You'll probably end up with him while I get a sheep :rolleyes:

Snow

If they happen to pick a goalkeeper from the same side as someone else they're fecked. I would definitely vote for the other team if your team is playing with an outfield player in goal. If they get their goalie they're most likely going to get a good pairing.

Snow

Would you distinguish between between a Sheep keeper and a Sheep outfielder as a keeper? Sure the former is arguably better, but overall, they are both sheeps and should make any difference.
A sheep keeper is massively better than whoever else you'd put in goal that isn't a real keeper. The backup keeper for a league 2 team would be better than any outfield player you could find.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
One thing, though:

@Gio
Yes, you are stuck with the winning and losing player requirement through the three stages.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I'll get a sheep keeper if my first choice is blocked right?
As in previous rounds, you will be allocated a sheep in a position you require. However, this sheep will be of a suitably middling standard to be determined by the sheep committee and may not be from the pool for this round.

Tuppet

If they happen to pick a goalkeeper from the same side as someone else they're fecked. I would definitely vote for the other team if your team is playing with an outfield player in goal. If they get their goalie they're most likely going to get a good pairing.
Don't see why anyone would field an outfield player, if they get blocked surely they would just skip the pick and get a sheep keeper.

Cal?

CR7 fan
As in previous rounds, you will be allocated a sheep in a position you require. However, this sheep will be of a suitably middling standard to be determined by the sheep committee and may not be from the pool for this round.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
A sheep keeper is massively better than whoever else you'd put in goal that isn't a real keeper. The backup keeper for a league 2 team would be better than any outfield player you could find.
Tbh, I'm not entirely comfortable with grading a sheep.

Stuff like...Arguing that Lupu will be greater or lesser liability than Djemba or sheep from one round being better or worse than other rounds is just nor fair and fundamentally ignores the fact that they both are still sheep.

If two facing teams both have sheep, the only difference would be how well the manager has strategized and placed his sheep in a position where he'll be a less of a liability. Not the quality of players allocated as sheep. Why should one sheep be treated as any better or worse than other?

Tuppet

I know who are going for? I considered the same, before letting common sense prevail. You'll probably end up with him while I get a sheep :rolleyes:
Yeah, just let me have this one for greater good. Instead of getting him blocked, you'll just pick him in the reinforcement round, A win-win.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

Stuff like...Arguing that Lupu will be greater or lesser liability than Djemba or sheep from one round being better or worse than other rounds is just nor fair and fundamentally ignores the fact that they both are still sheep.

If two facing teams both have sheep, the only difference would be how well the manager has strategized and placed his sheep in a position where he'll be a less of a liability. Not the quality of players allocated as sheep. Why should one sheep be treated as any better or worse than other?
It's fairly straightforward. Managers may wish to take advantage of the lack of voting value placed on keepers in general. In upholding the spirit of the draft, the Sheep Committee has a role to ensure that any sheep it allocates are suitable punishments for managerial incompetence or downright greed.

Snow

I wasn't talking about directly comparing sheep.

Tuppet

I have a feeling that this is not the final round or may be just wishful thinking, any chance I can get rid of one of the 5 (or 7 ) sheep would be fantastic. It would probably be unfair on other managers, which makes it even better.

Snow

I have a feeling that this is not the final round or may be just wishful thinking, any chance I can get rid of one of the 5 (or 7 ) sheep would be fantastic. It would probably be unfair on other managers, which makes it even better.
You kind of have a similar team to Di Stefano's. You have one more sheep than me but your team is better I reckon.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
You're one of 3 managers who'll possibly field a team without a sheep so I have a hard time feeling sorry for you this round. Worst case scenario is that you get a sheep in the position that matters the least who played in a European Cup Winners Cup. There are no Djemba-Djemba's in this round.
Worst case scenario is actually that I get a sheep keeper and an outfield sheep I can't properly use at all - so there's that.

But I take your point - I'm not in a particularly pitiable state.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
I kinda like that the managers who left the goalkeeper pick so late might get in trouble now. It's actually a good way to raise their importance in the matches, because there were more than enough chances to pick a great goalkeeper and gain an advantage. I think in the first sheepdraft we even had the rule that everyone has to pick a goalkeeper before his 10th pick, because the draft master can't guarantee that the last few rounds will have a deep enough pool for goalkeepers.

Well done, sheep committee :).

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Business is business. I like it.

Cal?

CR7 fan
I kinda like that the managers who left the goalkeeper pick so late might get in trouble now. It's actually a good way to raise their importance in the matches, because there were more than enough chances to pick a great goalkeeper and gain an advantage. I think in the first sheepdraft we even had the rule that everyone has to pick a goalkeeper before his 10th pick, because the draft master can't guarantee that the last few rounds will have a deep enough pool for goalkeepers.

Well done, sheep committee :).
I don't think leaving 2 picks for 1 keeper is leaving it that late though, can't really account for the last 2 being 1 round...

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
we basically pick a good player and a sheep....really small pool of players that i need :nervous:

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Oh, that's just plain nasty.

But we can't complain, really - as the random nastiness factor has been very low thus far. It was bound to turn ugly at some point - and in terms of pushing actively for meltdowns, the very last round is obviously where you ideally want to insert the red hot poker.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
I don't think leaving 2 picks for 1 keeper is leaving it that late though, can't really account for the last 2 being 1 round...
It's a bit evil, which makes it great :D.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
I actually appreciate this from @Gio and the committee. They've made a great sheep draft so far that is fair yet punishing. This is what I like about the sheep draft, and I'm glad they've upheld that, even if it screws with my team.