The Third Redcafe Sheep Draft

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Heh - I'd rather not say, as it pertains to specific players. It's a matter of someone having seemingly landed a player I find it very odd that said manager would have gone for, given what he apparently lacks (position wise).

But I might be way off the mark - like I said above, I could have missed something obvious here.
Turns out I did miss something obvious, namely that @The Stain had picked up Dave. I thought he needed a keeper and had gone for Juve's - but that couldn't be the case since he also went for Platini. Nor did he go for Porto's, 'cause he was blocked by other managers.

But, there is still something off there: Surely his Platini pick must be classed invalid rather than a fail? Not that it matters in any shape or form, I just found it curious. He picked Rossi and Platini - from the same team - in round 1, no?

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
@Gio

Now that is a fantastic sheep, nothing short of it. I'm voting 'Tope out of principle, regardless of circumstances.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Turns out I did miss something obvious, namely that @The Stain had picked up Dave. I thought he needed a keeper and had gone for Juve's - but that couldn't be the case since he also went for Platini. Nor did he go for Porto's, 'cause he was blocked by other managers.

But, there is still something off there: Surely his Platini pick must be classed invalid rather than a fail? Not that it matters in any shape or form, I just found it curious. He picked Rossi and Platini - from the same team - in round 1, no?
The Stain picked Platini and Eurico Gomes in R1. Gomes was fine, Platini wasn't, so he went for Rossi in R2.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
The Stain picked Platini and Eurico Gomes in R1. Gomes was fine, Platini wasn't, so he went for Rossi in R2.
Ah, right 'o - I went with the order the picks were listed in, hence thought Rossi was his initial man.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
"It is a pity that Foulke cannot curb the habit of pulling down the crossbar, which on Saturday ended in his breaking it in two. On form, he is well in the running for international honours, but the Selection Committee are sure to prefer a man who plays the game to one who unnecessarily violates the spirit of the rules."
This is quite possibly the greatest quote ever posted in these drafts.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
That's one mean sheep. A funny one though.

Foulke by now was remarkably temperamental. If he thought his defenders were not trying hard enough, he would walk off the field. Opposing forwards who incurred his displeasure would be picked up and thrown bodily into his goal.

diarm

That's one mean sheep. A funny one though.
Foulke by now was remarkably temperamental. If he thought his defenders were not trying hard enough, he would walk off the field. Opposing forwards who incurred his displeasure would be picked up and thrown bodily into his goal.
Oooh I hope he draws @Chesterlestreet !

I'd pay good money to watch Michael Owen get fecked into a goal post by a big fat keeper!

ctp

@Chesterlestreet That was quite close to a double block with us. We were down to Gerets+Urruti and Bezsonov+Fillol, just about worked out for both teams :)

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Oooh I hope he draws @Chesterlestreet !

I'd pay good money to watch Michael Owen get fecked into a goal post by a big fat keeper!
Owen can't start if I draw 'Tope, that's obvious. I'll have to stick Billy Wright up top and hope for the best, he's the only player in my team who's brave enough to go up against Foulke.

diarm

Owen can't start if I draw 'Tope, that's obvious. I'll have to stick Billy Wright up top and hope for the best, he's the only player in my team who's brave enough to go up against Foulke.
I'm beginning to think we missed a trick wasting Anderson in the midfield for all those years.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
@Chesterlestreet That was quite close to a double block with us. We were down to Gerets+Urruti and Bezsonov+Fillol, just about worked out for both teams :)
I was worried about that, since we had to fill the exact same positions. The upside was that we would've double blocked each other, and thus had a free go in round 2.

Then again, if that had happened, we could've easily clashed again over the Gerets/Urruti combo, as that was very much on my radar.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
I'd say Chester won that round though with a GOAT goalie (given the circumstances) and an excellent and versatile pick in Bessonov. Love Tuppet's picks as well.
We had a short list of 2 combo's and this was the one. Thanksfully I rated Gerets above Bessonov and so went for the other one! @Chesterlestreet glad we didn't get stuck there.!

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I'm beginning to think we missed a trick wasting Anderson in the midfield for all those years.
Aye - and another missed opportunity was seriously fattening up Sheasy and fielding him between the sticks permanently. He had everything you could ask for in a top keeper - except real lard.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

WHAT YOU COULD HAVE WON:

Here are the players you could have had:

Jennings R5; Nesta R11, Thuram R3, Bossis R7; Di Stefano R8, Monti, R2, Platini, R7, Giggs, R9, Nedved, R1; Cubillas, R4, Muller, R6.

Instead you get this motley crew:

The Stain (1) Stoichkov (2) De Gea (3) Xavi (4) R. Carlos (5) Cohen (6) A. Borges (7) Jara (8) Townsend (9) Gillespie (10) Iniesta (11) Eurico Gomes (12) Rossi
Joga Bonito (1) Kocsis (2) Schuster (3) Thuram (4) Michel (5) Grabowski (6) B. Holmes (7) M. Holland (8) Umana (9) Masopust (10) Zagatti (11) Neeskens (12) Daniel
Chesterlestreet (1) Šekularac (2) Franklin (3) Larsson (4) Mendieta (5) Mullery (6) Junior (7) Owen (8) Kilbane (9) Blanchflower (10) Billy Wright (11) Bezsonov (12) Fillol
Sjor Bepo/Physiocrat (1) Charisteas (2) J. Johnstone (3) Bergomi (4) Schneider (5) Trautmann (6) Hoddle (7) Holebas (8) Finnan(9) Law (10) Scholes (11) Gentile (12) Jaime Pacheco
Snow (1) Boniek (2) Djemba-Djemba (3) M. Laudrup (4) Arce (5) Bale (6) Mario Coluna (7) Mensah (8) Dezotti (9) Schmeichel (10) Larrazábal (11) Bonini (12) António Sousa
EAP/ctp (1) Džajić (2) Monti (3) C. Moore (4) Sierra (5) Socrates (6) Luis Pereira (7) F. De Boer (8) Lupu (9) Eusebio (10) Sárosi (11) Urruti (12) Gerets
MJJ (1) Yashin (2) A. Hansen (3) Völler (4) R. Gomez (5) McGrath (6) Souness (7) Romario (8) Petrescu (9) Gullit (10) Mazzola (11) Robson (12) Ferrer
Marty1968/bleezy (1) Baros (2) Fontaine (3) Kahn (4) Srna (5) Jay Spearing (6) Cerezo (7) Ballack (8) Cambiasso (9) Koeman (10) Joan Segarra (11) Winterburn (12) Zola
Stobzilla (1) Demyanenko (2) Dixie Dean (3) Hierro (4) Ha Seok-Ju (5) Gerrard (6) Henry (7) Maradona (8) Prosinecki (9) Suurbier (10) Shesternyov (11) Reid (12) Konsel
Skizzo/Pat (1) Dasayev (2) Pedernera (3) N. Santos (4) Nelinho (5) Antognoni (6) José Manuel Moreno (7) Trezeguet (8) Jorge Rodriguez (9) Rensenbrink (10) Gonçalves (11) Rosato (12) Horst
mazhar13 (1) Netto (2) Schiaffino (3) Matthews (4) Genghini (5) Hasselbaink (6) Stielike (7) Quirarte (8) Rotariu (9) Charles (10) Armando Castellazzi (11) Seaman (12) Bennarivo
Invictus/KM (1) Bene (2) Liedholm (3) Chipperfield (4) Lee Chun-Soo (5) Hellstorm (6) Trésor (7) Vieri (8) M. Bernal (9) Gento (10) Camacho (11) Rivera (12) Kurbjuhn
Tuppet (1) Olisadebe (2) V. Mazzola (3) Balint (4) Wynalda (5) Djimi Traore (6) Breitner (7) Bergkamp (8) Brnović (9) Di Stefano (10) František Plánička (11) Roth (12) Jardine
Isotope (1) Boban (2) Sivori (3) F. Walter (4) Branco (5) Hyppia (6) Allardyce (7) Dunga (8) Marcio Santos (9) Van Basten (10) Busquets (11) Nesta (12) Fatty Foulke
Enigma_87/RedTiger (1) Stojkovic (2) Redondo (3) Cannavaro (4) Kubik (5) Signori (6) Vogts (7) Shearer (8) Komano (9) Seedorf (10) Billy McNeill (11) Nedved (12) Roa
Cal? (1) Vidic (2) Reus (3) Zidane (4) Beckham (5) De Rossi (6) Ibrahimovic (7) C. Ronaldo (8) Carragher (9) Irwin (10) Gary Neville (11) Guardiola (12) Lama

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
We had a short list of 2 combo's and this was the one. Thanksfully I rated Gerets above Bessonov and so went for the other one! @Chesterlestreet glad we didn't get stuck there.!
Yep - and as mentioned above, it could have easily turned into a real nightmare, with two rounds of double blocking...and then...what? I did have a third deal in mind, but it wasn't something I truly fancied, and even that wouldn't have been safe given that the pair of you were hunting for the exact same prey.

ctp

Yep - and as mentioned above, it could have easily turned into a real nightmare, with two rounds of double blocking...and then...what? I did have a third deal in mind, but it wasn't something I truly fancied, and even that wouldn't have been safe given that the pair of you were hunting for the exact same prey.
There was still Kaltz but with a bit of a sheepish keeper.

ctp

@Gio What the feck is that line-up? 4 picks and 7 unpicked/blocked players?

Enigma_87

You know who
Guardiola, Neeskens, Gerets, Fillol, Gentile, Zola. Some very quality picks there.

So what's the next step? Draw?

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
@Gio Well surely that WC qualification round takes the cake. Krol, Neeskens, Tigana, Luisito Suárez, Roy feckin Keane, Sammer, Davids etc (I'm sure I've forgotten a fair few) weren't even picked throughout the entire round.

That round had an unbelievable pool of midfield players, esp b2b ones - Lerby, Pirri, Bremner etc.

Last edited:

Enigma_87

You know who
@Gio Well surely that WC qualification round takes the cake. Krol, Neeskens, Tigana, Luisito Suárez, Roy feckin Keane, Sammer, Davids etc (I'm sure I've forgotten a fair few) weren't even picked throughout the entire round.

That round had an unbelievable pool of midfield players, esp b2b ones - Lerby, Pirri, Bremner etc.
Yeah you even have missed a few. The most obvious being Eric feckin Cantona That was the best round in terms of who you could've got. Seedorf wasn't picked first round as well, I was positive someone will go with Krol...

BTW Tigana was not available for that round otherwise would've been on my shortlist :)

Annahnomoss

Great draft guys, really entertaining. Is Hellstorm some kind of evil twin X-men character or Hellström the Swedish goalkeeper? Hadn't noticed him being picked.

Tuppet

On William Foulke from wiki
To draw even more attention to his size, they placed two small boys behind his goal in an effort to distract the opposition even more. The boys would sometimes run and return the ball when it went out of play, and quite by accident, ball boys came into being.
You learn something new everyday.